Thread: Laptop advice

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Laptop advice

Hey all,

I am in the market for a new laptop (for my gf) and was wondering if you guys had any advice.

She only uses her laptop for school stuff (one semester left) and for browsing the internet and skype.

I love apple, but she is no ta huge fan of apples.

She currently has a dell, and she likes it, but she has only used a dell and a apple in the past.

I have only looked at BB and Amazon, but so far this is what I have found:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Dell+-+I...72&st=Inspiron 15&cp=1&lp=2

I really would like to keep this under $450 dollars if possible, but more importantly I want something that has a web cam built in (she has a extrernal but it has acted up a lot on her) and also something that can hold all the files she keeps (she saves every paper she has ever written).

Thanks,

-VA

Default Re: Laptop advice

I think that's fine. Personally, I was fed up with dealing with Dell support from work so I just got my dad this Toshiba. It's fine.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Toshiba+...&skuId=1271351

All in all, I'm done spending a lot of money on consumer laptops. Regardless of what you pay they're going to break down sooner than later and the warranties are ridiculous. If you don't need the performance, get a sub-$500 laptop and you don't have to worry about it. If you need the performance get a business laptop with a good warranty, because you're gonna need it. Or go hog wild and get a Mac.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Bought my wife a Dell Vostro V13 and she LOVES it. Aluminum/Magnesium frame, good battery life, super-super-portable. Check it out.

http://www.dell.com/us/business/p/vostro-v13/pd
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Thanks guys

I am going to wait and see if any Black Friday deals pop up, but I am thinking I may even wait and just get this for her as a graduation gift (since the colleges put so much crap on your computer anyways)

I'm not a big fan of AMD processors, but their graphics are good.

I haven't a clue if any of these are the quality you're looking for, but these are the early BFriday sales from Wally World starting at 5am.

Acer Aspire 17.3" Laptop PC w/Intel Dual Core Processor, 4GB Memory, 320GB Hard Drive, Windows 7 - $498.00

eMachines 15.6" Laptop w/2GB Memory, 250GB Hard Drive, Windows 7 - $198.00

HP 15.6" Laptop w/Intel Celeron Processor, 3GB Memory, 250GB Hard Drive, Windows 7 - $298.00

HP 17.3" Dual Core Laptop w/Pentium Dual Core Processor, 3GB Memory, 320GB Hard Drive - $398.00
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

8. The Following User Says Thank You to RWB For This Useful Post:

I have a Compaq Presario that's lasted over 3 years now that I am using as I type this post.

Best Buy has the normally $449 Toshiba Satellite C655D-S5089 laptop for $189 on Black Friday-- only a few per store so likely you would need to get there VERY early or even camp out:

http://notebooks.com/2010/11/23/blac...9-at-best-buy/
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Slick Pinkham For This Useful Post:

A freind of mine who fixes labtops for a living says Asus and lenovo are good buys.
    He also says to stay away HP's. I have also seen sony and Dells have odd issues like screens going bad.

Thanks guys. I found a few good black Friday deals, but I actually lucked out and got a bunch of BB reward gift cards the same day which I should get later on this week. So in the end it should all work out (esp with Cyber Monday lasting all week )

How about this one:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Toshiba+...1751&cp=1&lp=1

I showed this one to a guy I work with, and he said the specs were really bad and that would not allow her space to store songs and pictures on it. Is that true?

Thanks,

-VA

^ ive had a toshiba netbook for about a year now and havent had any problems. i think 250 gb is plenty for music and pictures. in any case external hds are getting to be super cheap, in case the computer ever filled up.

The processor sucks, but storage space is fine.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I have had a Toshiba since May and have no complaints. It is great for the things I use it for (Online Graduate School, Youtube, etc.)

^^ i dont know...I only have 1 gb mem in my netbook, and ive found that to be enough for running open office, opera/firefox, streaming video (espn 360, bootleg links, etc), adobe reader, Stata (stats), TeXnic Center (word processsing) etc...many of them at the same time; that said, i don't do any gaming--im sure that would not be good for that...but for basic stuff, i think even 1 gb is enough...

i have 2gb on my desktop, and it is a little faster, but not really noticable, unless you are timing with a stopwatch...

I'm going to get a Dell XPS 15 I believe.

So did she like it?
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    So did she like it?
    Her VCR broke, so I went ahead and got her a blu ray player and a netflix gift subscription.

Maybe for her birthday I will get her a lap top.

Thanks for all the suggestions though

what's a vcr?

22. The Following User Says Thank You to cgg For This Useful Post:

Fair enough, but we are poor college student. Or at least I was. Now I have a job so I am just a semi poor former college student