Page 2 of 32 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Indiana University 2010-2011 Men's Basketball Thread

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Indiana University 2010-2011 Men's Basketball Thread

I don't mind them, there is only so much you can do with our vanilla uniforms anyway. Although I certainly wouldn't mind going back to being a Nike school, but I think our switch to adidas was largely because of the soccer program.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

That really sucks about AJ. He's one of my all-time favorite Hoosiers.

Get better, dude.

JMV tweeted that he is now doing well and is expected to make a full recovery.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Yogi will commit to the Hoosiers next Wednesday...Book it.

TJ do you go on those recruiting sites like Peegs? Or does anyone else here for that matter?

I really hate the NCAA allowing the Adidas logo and the Nike swoosh logo on jerseys now. Uniforms look so cluttered with those logos on there, on top of that there is a new mandatory NCAA patch on the other side which clutters it up even more. Those teams with a memorial patch or an American flag patch look even worse. Someone needs to put me in charge of stuff like this. I would not stand for it.

I go to lots of different places, pretty much any recruiting site I can get my hands on, but honestly the best recruiting news source is...Twitter.

Always. Twitter is the best place for news and information about anything.

Mood

I honestly don't see the difference between the newer jerseys and the older ones, other than the patches, but that's inevitable. I'm glad we're not a Nike team cuz then we'd get some sublimated crap on the back or something. I really like our vanilla uniforms and I hope we never **** them up like the football team did this year after finally having nice uniforms for the past 5 years.

Oh man. What a great day. I witness in person the Hoosiers defeat the mighty Purple Aces from my hometown of Evansville, and then two more guys commit to Indiana. Welcome Devin Davis and Collin Hartman, two 2013 kids who are very highly regarded. Yogi announces for IU on Wednesday, and word has it that Gary Harris might pop for Indiana soon. Holy lord this is amazing. Borders are locked and we kicked West Lafayette out of the state.

Somewhere in West Lafayette, IN and in East Lansing, MI and in Columbus, OH and in Madison, WI, Matt Painter, Tom Izzo, Thad Matta, and Bo Ryan are looking at their assistant coaches, and saying "I fear we have awakened a sleeping giant."

When Bruce Weber he was asked for a comment, he mad unintelligible baby noises that sounded roughly like Eric Gordon. He had no further comment.

Droppin' knowledge, yo. Mackey_Rose's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Somewhere in West Lafayette, IN and in East Lansing, MI and in Columbus, OH and in Madison, WI, Matt Painter, Tom Izzo, Thad Matta, and Bo Ryan are looking at their assistant coaches, and saying "I fear we have awakened a sleeping giant."

When Bruce Weber he was asked for a comment, he mad unintelligible baby noises that sounded roughly like Eric Gordon. He had no further comment.
    Love the historical reference, but I'm not sure it really applies here. I don't think any of those coaches had any serious misconceptions about IU's program. Everyone knew they were a sleeping giant, and it was only a matter of time before Crean (or somebody else) got them back on track.

We are all Pacers fans here, and I'm a Boiler fan so it pains me to admit it, but anybody who is from this state knows that IU is Indiana Basketball. The lean years of Davis and Sampson will be nothing but a short, unfortunate anomaly in the history of the program.

I'm still hopeful we can get Gary Harris up to West Lafayette, but if not, I hope he lands in B-Town. You guys need him more than we do.

Quote Originally Posted by Mackey_Rose View Post
    Love the historical reference, but I'm not sure it really applies here. I don't think any of those coaches had any serious misconceptions about IU's program. Everyone knew they were a sleeping giant, and it was only a matter of time before Crean (or somebody else) got them back on track.

We are all Pacers fans here, and I'm a Boiler fan so it pains me to admit it, but anybody who is from this state knows that IU is Indiana Basketball. The lean years of Davis and Sampson will be nothing but a short, unfortunate anomaly in the history of the program.

I'm still hopeful we can get Gary Harris up to West Lafayette, but if not, I hope he lands in B-Town. You guys need him more than we do.
    Is that going to be so true after this season? I don't see Purdue being significantly better than IU next season, if at all really. Our recruiting classes have actually been superior over the past couple years.

And yes I was embellishing a bit with the historical reference.

Harris intrigues me. I've heard since middle of last week that there will be two big pops for Indiana by December. One being Yogi of course, and he is committing on Wednesday before the Park Tudor game. The other one has been kept quiet. Harris though was at the IU game yesterday and there were Gary Harris chants going on. We're making a hard push, if we add him and Yogi to 2012, it's over. Turn off the lights. That's the number 1 class by a large margin. And that's not even counting 2013 which will be strong or 2014.

Plus if we add the other Park Tudor kid Blueitt who is in the '14 class I believe, that could be 3 top 25 players locked up for that class.

Quote Originally Posted by Mackey_Rose View Post

Level headed post by a rival fan. Nice to see.

I wouldn't hold my breath on Gary Harris though. I think it is either going to be Indiana or Michigan State for him. Reading some of the comments he has made recently, I think IU is the leader for his services.

I agree with Trader Joe too...I think that Purdue's dominance over IU ends with this season. Even if Hummel comes back healthy next year (big if with that kid, unfortunately), I think we will have at least pulled even with the Boilers. Another year of growth out of our current sophomores, plus the much needed frontcourt boost provided by Cody Zeller and I think we surpass Purdue.

What is the feeling within your fanbase about all this? I've read a few of the boards and it seems to be split between people saying Crean is an idiot and won't do anything with the talent and people being genuinely concerned with the stranglehold on in-state talent that IU currently possesses. From the outside, it looks like Painter missed a golden opportunity to lock some of this talent up when Indiana was down. It will always be easier to recruit kids to Indiana over Purdue (no offense), but it just seems like Painter has missed an opportunity.

Is that going to be so true after this season? I don't see Purdue being significantly better than IU next season, if at all really. Our recruiting classes have actually been superior over the past couple years.

And yes I was embellishing a bit with the historical reference.

Harris intrigues me. I've heard since middle of last week that there will be two big pops for Indiana by December. One being Yogi of course, and he is committing on Wednesday before the Park Tudor game. The other one has been kept quiet. Harris though was at the IU game yesterday and there were Gary Harris chants going on. We're making a hard push, if we add him and Yogi to 2012, it's over. Turn off the lights. That's the number 1 class by a large margin. And that's not even counting 2013 which will be strong or 2014.

Plus if we add the other Park Tudor kid Blueitt who is in the '14 class I believe, that could be 3 top 25 players locked up for that class.
    Yeah, that 2012 class is shaping up to be the foundation for a top 5 team, all kidding aside. It's pretty obvious we are going to land Yogi Wednesday, and I really think Gary Harris will join him at some point. A Yogi, Harris, Perea, Jurkin, Patterson class is easily a top 5 class, and probably higher. I won't call it the best class because we know Calipari will lure 3 or 4 blue chippers to UK.

It's really hard to not get excited about the future of IU basketball right now. We have been waiting for so long to finally be nationally relevant again. I think we win 16 or so games this year, I think we make the NCAA tournament next year, and I think we have a top 15 team at the very least when that 2012 class enters as freshmen.

Cdash, you're talking about landing the number 1 PF recruit, the number 1 SG recruit, and the number 2 PG recruit along with two legit 4 stars. Kentucky would have to unload an absolutely insane class to beat that. And you're assuming that Cheatin' Cal will still be coach there in 2012. Don't bet on that one. He's NBA bound IMO at some point, it's in his blood, and he'll probably leave UK in a recruiting mess/controversy whenever he makes the leap. That's his style, and if you don't believe me just ask UMass and Memphis.

Cdash, you're talking about landing the number 1 PF recruit, the number 1 SG recruit, and the number 2 PG recruit along with two legit 4 stars. Kentucky would have to unload an absolutely insane class to beat that. And you're assuming that Cheatin' Cal will still be coach there in 2012. Don't bet on that one. He's NBA bound IMO at some point, it's in his blood, and he'll probably leave UK in a recruiting mess/controversy whenever he makes the leap. That's his style, and if you don't believe me just ask UMass and Memphis.
    I don't doubt that at all. I am waiting patiently for Calipari to get caught for the myriad of NCAA rules he breaks. Sadly, to this point, he hasn't been caught, just the schools he's coached at. He's a cheater, but he's a pretty good cheater, I'll give him that. And have you seen their recent classes? Three of the top 10 players from the 2011 class signed, and their fourth commit was ranked in the top 20. He gets the top guys year in and year out. I would rather have our guys because they aren't all one and dones, but the recruiting rankings will likely have the Wildcats right up there at #1 after signing day.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

If any local folks haven't been out to Warren Central to see Davis play, make the trip. I'm not going to say the kids a sure fire star...yet. I saw him play 7 times last year. What I liked most about him was that he played well, making smart decisions in all types of situations. What I like more is that he raised his game against his toughest opponents, often dominating in games against what was supposed to be a challenge. Not super strong but VERY athletic so he gets a lot of rebounds. He might have to change up his tactics in college where pretty much every team can box out. Very smooth with the ball, has shooting guard handles even though for WC he mostly plays forward and they will even run the offense through him in the post. Lots of spin moves, including a lethal spin where he will drive in to the basket from either baseline, spin left or right depending and get a short jumper or layup. I found this vid of him on Youtube from summer ball where he showcases the spin I'm talking about at the very end of the video.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to travmil For This Useful Post:

5-0

Droppin' knowledge, yo. Mackey_Rose's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    Level headed post by a rival fan. Nice to see.

I wouldn't hold my breath on Gary Harris though. I think it is either going to be Indiana or Michigan State for him. Reading some of the comments he has made recently, I think IU is the leader for his services.

I agree with Trader Joe too...I think that Purdue's dominance over IU ends with this season. Even if Hummel comes back healthy next year (big if with that kid, unfortunately), I think we will have at least pulled even with the Boilers. Another year of growth out of our current sophomores, plus the much needed frontcourt boost provided by Cody Zeller and I think we surpass Purdue.

What is the feeling within your fanbase about all this? I've read a few of the boards and it seems to be split between people saying Crean is an idiot and won't do anything with the talent and people being genuinely concerned with the stranglehold on in-state talent that IU currently possesses. From the outside, it looks like Painter missed a golden opportunity to lock some of this talent up when Indiana was down. It will always be easier to recruit kids to Indiana over Purdue (no offense), but it just seems like Painter has missed an opportunity.
    It's easy for me to have a level headed about our biggest rival, because even though it is sacrilege, I'm also a casual IU fan. I still remember learning the game as a child from my grandfather, who absolutely worshiped everything Bobby Knight and Hoosier basketball. Growing up, I definitely watched far more IU games than I did Purdue games, although to be fair, the local coverage has never been close to equal. I have friends that have played down in Bloomington in the good years and recently as well.

I also am probably one of the few Boiler fans who thinks it is a good thing for Purdue Basketball if IU is a premier national program again. As far as my opinion on Crean? I think that's a wait and see for me. I don't think he is a great in-game coach, but I like the way he has used discipline to turn that program around so quickly. The best thing he has done in his time at IU was not to get Cody Zeller, or a bunch of highly ranked recruits, it was to step in and put his stamp on the program by getting rid of all the bad apples that the previous coaches had been collecting.

Personally, I just miss the rivalry when both games had a Big Ten title on the line. Purdue will never be able to compete for the same national level recruits that IU can, but I don't think they have to. There is more than enough talent within the borders of Indiana, and in the region (Purdue always does well in the Chicago area) for multiple teams to be competitive nationally.

I probably shouldn't have thrown that line about you guys needing it more in, because frankly I just don't follow recruiting enough to really know. Please don't take this the wrong way, because I'm not intending it to be personal at all, but I can't stand the way grown men get so worked up (Peegs, I'm looking at you) over the decisions of high school kids.

The way I look at it is, I'm completely happy with the program Purdue has in place. I believe we have the best coach in the state, at any level. He will get the players he wants, that he believes will buy-in to the concept he thinks is going to win at Purdue. I couldn't care any less if the various recruiting services don't think they are deserving of high ranks. As long as Painter is around, I'm confident Purdue will be competitive in the Big Ten, and have a shot to make a run in the tournament.

And at the very least, Purdue will always have the coach that most resembles their mascot while Painter is around

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Pretty intense but a tough match. Not much offensive teams but worth watching.
    Perfect that dunk with a basketball shooting aid so you can develop your skills with the right basketball training aid.

Can't even begin to express how pissed I am that I'm having to watch the end of this stupid Tennessee/Pittsburgh game instead of the start of the IU/UK game.

And of course Pittsburgh is fouling even though they are down by 10+...

Well I finally get to join the IU/UK game 8 minutes in after watching the final minute and a half of this boring *** Tennessee/PITT game. Hoosiers lead by 4!