Page 17 of 32 FirstFirst ... 713141516171819202127 ... LastLast

Thread: Indiana University 2010-2011 Men's Basketball Thread

Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Indiana University 2010-2011 Men's Basketball Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I just meant in terms of hype.
    It is IU so of course the hype will be out of the ballpark.

But on par with Wall/Cousins/Bledsoe?

Are any of these guys 1 and done possibilities let alone locks like Wall and Cousins were?
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

-Lance Stephenson

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by BRushWithDeath View Post
    Are any of these guys 1 and done possibilities let alone locks like Wall and Cousins were?
    Not really, and that is what makes it so good. We are likely going to have most of these guys for 3-4 years.

Quote Originally Posted by BRushWithDeath View Post
    It is IU so of course the hype will be out of the ballpark.

But on par with Wall/Cousins/Bledsoe?

Perea is the only guy right now that could be a one and done.

If Harris signs, yes he absolutely could be a one and done. He is quite possibly the best shooting guard in the class.

Right now Yogi/Perea/Hollowell/Patterson/Jurkin would not deserve the same hype as Felton/McCants/May or Wall/Cousins/Bledsoe, but if you add Harris, yes I think it would deserve that same hype.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Mood

in the class of 14 both thoes guys will be one and done. Blackmon and Lyles are special. Lyles will for sure be one and done(if he doesnt have any hiccups). The 2015 season should be a national title team for sure.

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

I can't wait until the only good thing to talk about IU is their upcoming recruiting classes. We will see how goo these players are when they hit the floor.

Quote Originally Posted by travmil View Post
    Even without Harris that's very likely to be the #1 class. If they get Harris it will be #1 by about a thousand miles.
    Scouts are saying that this is by far the number one recruiting class in 2012 and its not even close.

Watching Butler play just perfectly illuminates for me why I no longer have any faith in Crean. In fact the NCAA tournament has done nothing but make sure I have lost all faith in Crean.

I don't care who he recruits, if he couldn't get these previous IU teams to play any better than they did then why should I think he'll maximize the talents of these incoming classes, no matter where the scouts rank them now?

He might be able to recruit, and after meeting him a couple of times I can see how that is possible, but after watching him coach I'm thoroughly unconvinced he can actually coach.

I suppose the caveat is, until he has the talent to do what he wants, and a properly balanced team, coaching the way he has been can be expected to have the team checking out mentally early. That could change with talent to win regardless of who is coaching. ...and if the team is winning then it's less likely the team will check out mentally.

But then the counter to that is, if he was a better coach then he would've adapted better AND, being that it's college, recruited a little differently for the short term to lay a better foundation for the long term. As it is, I'm not sure the short term has been anything but treading water... if even that... But the long term certainly seems better with the classes coming in.

...But yeah... the excuses are really over... It's time to win.
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

Mood

darrenrovell darren rovell
    by MikeWellsNBA
    Just a hunch, but I think Stevens stays 1 more year at Butler. Then takes over for Crean when he gets fired after next season.

Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post
    I'd fire Crean for him now...

Crean has so underwhelmed on the court that I'm not all that concerned about his upcoming recruiting class(es). And in fact, how many of them bail if a new coach is brought in that has tournament credibility anyway?

I understand how you don't fire Crean with the players he has coming to IU... OTOH... he's underwhelmed to the point on the court that I could also understand how there could be a lining up of the planets that allow him to be fired anyway.

Stevens coaching style at IU would be a perfect fit.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

I remember hearing last year the only job Stevens would leave Butler for would be the IU job.

BTW, I endorse everything Bball has said in the past few posts. Is this Butler team really that much more talented than IU? That dude is a hell of a coach.

I think Stevens is the best coach in America right now...so...it will be interesting to see what happens. It would certainly make sense that he would be the guy to go after if Crean fails with Yogi, Perea, etc. Especially since he's recruited a lot of those guys anyway and they would be less inclined to transfer. Anyway, we're way ahead of ourselves, if Butler were to win it all this year, he'll have a life time contract waiting on him

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

What are the odds that Crean actually fails with all that talent? How could he screw it up?

Not even Doc Rivers could screw up the Celtics once they loaded up. I think Crean will be fine. . . maybe? Is he really that bad?
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

Quote Originally Posted by Gamble1 View Post
    Scouts are saying that this is by far the number one recruiting class in 2012 and its not even close.
    Most top 10 recruits have not committed yet. Look at UK's class coming in next year: there is a very real possibility that they do something similar for 2012. A school that grabs 2 top 10 recruits with some lower top 100 talent will be ranked higher (as in most of the bluebloods).

IU 2012 is a great, great class. For a program trying to dig its way out of awful, you cannot ask for anything more. But best class of 2012 is silly right now.

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I don't want Stevens to ever leave BU. But seeing him in cream and crimson would be a sweat treat too. The talk of Painter leaving and Stevens taking over PU makes me wanna
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to indygeezer For This Useful Post:

woman without a team

Quote Originally Posted by indygeezer View Post
    I don't want Stevens to ever leave BU. But seeing him in cream and crimson would be a sweat treat too. The talk of Painter leaving and Stevens taking over PU makes me wanna
    While I don't want Painter to leave if he does I certainly wouldn't mind if Stevens took his place. I'd even dance in your if it happened.

If that was to become a likely possibility that might be one of the 'planets lining up' kind of things I was talking about.

Nobody in Bloomington can have the faith in Crean they once did after these underwhelming performances. The only thing he really has going for him now is the incoming players.

I cannot imagine there isn't a growing chorus of "Crean is not the coach we thought he was" going on among people that make or steer decisions.

And it's hard to believe there isn't a lot of IU alumns saying the same thing plus thinking Stevens is the perfect coach.

I doubt a coaching change to Stevens would lose many if any of the recruiting class Crean has coming in. In fact, it could even strengthen it given what Stevens has been able to do.

Now if it becomes a reality that IU could lose Stevens to Purdue... that just might be the perfect storm that could cause IU to decide to cut ties with Crean. Crean now has to be the coach they aren't so sure about while Stevens seems to be looking more and more like the coach they'd rather have.

...Some of that might be the grass is always greener on the other side... and some of that is going to be based on Crean's team and their underwhelming performances on the court.... versus what Stevens has been able to do at Butler.

If enough IU people are convinced Stevens is the coach they really want at IU... how do they let him go elsewhere let alone Purdue?

------

-John Wooden

IU HAS NO PLAYERS!!!!!

Tom Crean does not have the players to run his system. He doesn't have a point guard. Jeremiah can't shoot. Verdell can't shoot. He has 0 competent bigs. Will Sheehey is forced into the 4. The team competed unbelievably hard, and won several games they shouldn't have.
    The fact that we have the number 1 recruiting class and aren't winning says a ton. quit panicking. Sampson ****ed us hard, and Tom Crean has dug us out from the depths of hell.

Quote Originally Posted by IUfan4life View Post
    IU HAS NO PLAYERS!!!!!

Tom Crean does not have the players to run his system. He doesn't have a point guard. Jeremiah can't shoot. Verdell can't shoot. He has 0 competent bigs. Will Sheehey is forced into the 4. The team competed unbelievably hard, and won several games they shouldn't have.
    The fact that we have the number 1 recruiting class and aren't winning says a ton. quit panicking. Sampson ****ed us hard, and Tom Crean has dug us out from the depths of hell.
    My counter: Tom Crean recruited every single player on that roster.

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    My counter: Tom Crean recruited every single player on that roster.
    when he took the job at IU there was one player on the roster. KYLE TABER. Not only that, but he took the job late, so he had to pick from everyone's leftovers.
    Turning around kelvin sampson's mess does not happen overnight.

Quote Originally Posted by IUfan4life View Post
    when he took the job at IU there was one player on the roster. KYLE TABER. Not only that, but he took the job late, so he had to pick from everyone's leftovers.
    Turning around kelvin sampson's mess does not happen overnight.
    Yes I know I have had this argument many times throughout this thread. I just judged by what I saw. That team did not strike me as a well coached team at all. Offensively or defensively. They had a little stretch in the middle of the B10 season that gave me hope, and then completely mailed in the rest of the season.

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    Yes I know I have had this argument many times throughout this thread. I just judged by what I saw. That team did not strike me as a well coached team at all. Offensively or defensively. They had a little stretch in the middle of the B10 season that gave me hope, and then completely mailed in the rest of the season.
    I agree about the mailing it in at the end of the seaon, but we can't keep having key players get injured and hope to develop some sort of chemistry. I really think if Verdell was out the entire season we would have been better off.

I agree with you for the most part. I am not an Indiana or a Butler partisan, I'll root for both of them if either is good but I'm not an alum of either and an admitted bandwagoner of both. I just strongly dislike Purdue.

I'd love to see Butler become the Duke of the Midwest under Stevens and for IU to reemerge under Crean. Like I said I dislike Purdue but it would be good for the state to have three strong programs. We'd have as good if not better college BB programs than North Carolina.

Indiana=North Carolina
    Butler=Duke
    Purdue= NC State

Quote Originally Posted by judicata View Post
    Most top 10 recruits have not committed yet. Look at UK's class coming in next year: there is a very real possibility that they do something similar for 2012. A school that grabs 2 top 10 recruits with some lower top 100 talent will be ranked higher (as in most of the bluebloods).

IU 2012 is a great, great class. For a program trying to dig its way out of awful, you cannot ask for anything more. But best class of 2012 is silly right now.
    No it's not. You're the only person who has expressed this opinion anywhere. Rivals, scout, and ESPN have all said how hard it will be to beat this class. Hollowell could end up climbing even higher.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

You can't fire Crean without knowing FOR SURE, that you could get Stevens.

Quote Originally Posted by idioteque View Post
    I agree with you for the most part. I am not an Indiana or a Butler partisan, I'll root for both of them if either is good but I'm not an alum of either and an admitted bandwagoner of both. I just strongly dislike Purdue.

I'd love to see Butler become the Duke of the Midwest under Stevens and for IU to reemerge under Crean. Like I said I dislike Purdue but it would be good for the state to have three strong programs. We'd have as good if not better college BB programs than North Carolina.

Indiana=North Carolina
    Butler=Duke
    Purdue= NC State
    In order for that to happen, Butler has to spend the coin to

1.) Keep Stevens (Easier said than done I think we will find out.)
    2.) Renovate Hinkle
    3.) Build new coaching offices, a new practice court, and a new weight room.