Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Stephenson and Price will have to wait their turn

Banned

Default Stephenson and Price will have to wait their turn

http://blogs.indystar.com/pacersinsi...it-their-turn/

Written by
    Mike Wells

CLEVELAND – One of the questions I get asked on a regular basis is when will A.J. Price and/or Lance Stephenson get some playing time.

A the rate things are going, it’ll take an injury to one of the players in front of them for that to happen.

“I thought O’Brien said Price was the best player for them in the preseason?” a fan recently asked me.

He was their best player, according to O’Brien, but T.J. Ford was also injured most of the preseason.

I was told Ford was playing better than Price in practice prior to his hamstring injury.

People continue to voice their displeasure over Ford.

I have to disagree with those people about Ford. He has had a very solid start to the season (contract years will do that to you).

Ford deserves to be in the rotation. He got the Pacers back in the game in the third quarter against the Houston Rockets on Friday and O’Brien went him for more than half of the second half against Cleveland on Saturday.

The Pacers want to win as many games as possible. Ford will help them do that. He’s also helping Darren Collison get through the ups and downs of learning O’Brien’s system.

This isn’t a knock on Price, who had a very good preseason, but Ford and Collison are the guys to roll with right now.

Things are a little different with Stephenson.

He’s gradually getting better, but he still has work to do on the defensive end.

There’s also a maturity issue with the 20 year old.

He doesn’t always go all out in practice and he has a problem staying focused.

Those things won’t get Stephenson any playing time, especially since that’s the only place he’ll be able to prove he deserves any minutes.

One of the things that frustrates the coaching staff is that they constantly have to repeat things to Stephenson.

That gets old after while.

How will the coaching staff be able to trust Stephenson in the game if he can’t grasp things in practice?

Besides, Stephenson’s not better than any of the rotation players at his position.

crazy shinaniganz BringJackBack's Avatar

Default Re: Stephenson and Price will have to wait their turn

I couldn't agree anymore and I'm starting to wonder if Lance is just another Gerald Green... sigh..

Quote Originally Posted by BringJackBack View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I couldn't agree anymore and I'm starting to wonder if Lance is just another Gerald Green... sigh..
    He's a 20 year old who is a second round pick with a ton of potential. I won't be to upset either way.

crazy shinaniganz BringJackBack's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Midcoasted View Post
    He's a 20 year old who is a second round pick with a ton of potential. I won't be to upset either way.
    True, but it's just a shame that someone with the pure brute-like body and handles of Lance Stephenson just can't seem to put it together. He has a couple years to get it together but he hasn't really been a PR dream or a hard worker.. If Lance Stephenson was the worker that Roy Hibbert or Danny Granger were he'd have a chance to be a very unique player.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to BringJackBack For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Lance better pray for no conviction and a ton of improvement to his game over this next 10 months if he wants that 3rd and 4th year of his contract picked up.

Yeah, put me down under, "Lance isn't going to work out, court issues be damned." At least we didn't end up trading up for him like they tried to do!

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Banned

I would like to see what Lance could do for another coach, I'm not ready to let the guy go.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    I would like to see what Lance could do for another coach, I'm not ready to let the guy go.
    i bet scott skilles could get him better at defense

11. The Following User Says Thank You to pacer4ever For This Useful Post:

I think a lot of Stephenson's issues on the defensive end are because they are trying to play him out of position at point guard. In pre-season he seemed fine when he was guarding shooting guards.

It's not Lance's body, ability or what position he is playing that makes him bad, it's his brain.

Whenever I have seen him play he seems to have no clue what he is doing, no idea about defensive rotations or switches or weakside help. On offense it is almost as bad. He just tries to create his own offense instead of what everyone else is doing as a team.

That said, the kid is young and can learn. I hope he gets it, because there is no denying the raw talent he has.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to PaceBalls For This Useful Post:

If Lance can't learn and isn't motivated, then it doesn't matter who the coach is.

Scott Skiles sure ain't gonna coddle him.
    "Sometimes, when you look Andy in the eyes, you get a feeling somebody else is driving." -- David Letterman

16. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Kaufman For This Useful Post:

Seriously? We're all going to give up on Lance 8 games into his rookie season? Just because Mike Wells is impatient?

Remember, this is the same Mike Wells that was whining weekly because Bird wasn't moving fast enough to acquire a point guard. Was Mike Wells right in his criticism? Nope, Bird took his time and had the point guard we all wanted, well before the season started.

So do we need to give up on Lance already just because Mike Wells is impatient? Nope. As far as I'm concerned he can take as much time as he needs. He's not a 4 year college player like Hans, Rush and Hibbert. He's a kid. I'm sure the basketball minds with the Pacers understand that. It's unfortunate that Mike Wells doesn't.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Strummer For This Useful Post:

I know Larry is no fan of the NBADL, but for Lance, it may be the best thing for him at this point.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Thingfish View Post
    It's not Lance's body, ability or what position he is playing that makes him bad, it's his brain.

Whenever I have seen him play he seems to have no clue what he is doing, no idea about defensive rotations or switches or weakside help. On offense it is almost as bad. He just tries to create his own offense instead of what everyone else is doing as a team.

That said, the kid is young and can learn. I hope he gets it, because there is no denying the raw talent he has.
    Can you say Johnny Bender?

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by MLB007 View Post
    Can you say Johnny Bender?
    bender was because he had bad knees he grew to fast

22. The Following User Says Thank You to pacer4ever For This Useful Post:

I would have cut Lance and kept Magnum Rolle. Great NBA body, but it's a waste of time trying to turn him into an NBA player. He simply doesn't fit a position.

The kind of potential Lance has is diminished because of his flaws. It's like Sarunas. Very talented at some things, but fatally flawed as an NBA player.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post:

*sigh* So Ford earned it in the first week of practice when Price had just been cleared to play basketball after knee surgey..And I'll note, Ford's been good some games and bad others, but he hasn't been as good as AJ was in preseason.

Lance..it concerns me that there is some practice issues. And I think he's a flawed player, personally. He's got one on one talent, but as said, he's flawed. We'll see how his future goes.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    I would have cut Lance and kept Magnum Rolle.
    and you would have cost the team a couple million dollars. Congrats, you'd be a terrible GM.
    Grown Man Ball

Twitter: @SuprCityIndyFan PacerGuy's Avatar

The emotional swings on this board are worse then any woman I've ever been around (& that's say'n something!).
    Let me ask a few questions:

-Is it a surprise that Lance (20 yrs old, 1 Yr College ball) is having dificulties understanding & executing Professional game schemes?
    NO!
    -Is it a surprise a second round rookie is not getting minutes over several productive proven vets?
    NO!-
    Is it a surprise that a young player is having dificulties staying focused, is mentally still adapying to the NBA "Lifestyle, distinguishing what they have always known as a "game" is now a "job"?
    NO!
    -Is it surprising that a player who is learning a new position on top of a new offense & defensive and adjusting to a new lifestyle, is struggling?
    NO!
    -Is it surprising that a young man with the "outside personal issues" Lance has has, and who missed a big portion of off-season work "in exile" may not be as focused or ready as an NBA coach might want?
    NO!
    -Is it a surprise after knowing what we know about Lance that he might not be the "sharpest knife in the drawer"?
    NO!

If you answered "NO" to the above, then what is all the fuss?
    In a perfect world, Lance was a "luxery pick" anyway. Sure, there was hope & thoughts of Lance being a contributer, but that was when we thought Ford would be moved & before we aquired D.Collison,and had little to no other options. Yes, getting "NBA ready" player in the 2nd rd. would have been great, but how many times does that happen? Is 8 games into a rookie season really the time to judge his ability to learn & adjust to everything he is having to absorbe, to determine that he is a "bust", and start the tweets/ threads/ posts to abandon ship on Lance already?....
    NO!
    "Larry Bird: You are Officially On the Clock! (3/24/08)"
    (Watching You Like A Hawk!)

28. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PacerGuy For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    I'd like to see what the entire team could do for another coach...
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    Yeah that would be nice

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post
    bender was because he had bad knees he grew to fast
    If that's what you think then you missed the story.
    (He had no grasp of team basketball BEFORE he had the knee problems)
    It was well known at the time.
    Immense physical gifts.
    Clueless what to do with it.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    I'd like to see what the entire team can do for this coach...

Custom User Titleist
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by SMosley21 View Post
    and you would have cost the team a couple million dollars. Congrats, you'd be a terrible GM.
    IIRC, the contract had been signed prior to the decision had to be made whether to keep Lance. It also, IIRC, was made when the team still needed a ball dominant scoring guard to throw at the point guard position prior to getting Collison for that and accepting the fact that Ford was OK at that too.

The contract for Stephenson was excessive and a waste and had already been spent regardless of whether Lance wears suits behind the bench and travels with the team or if the Pacers had simply paid him his money and told him to move along. Doing so would have freed up a roster spot for a promising young big that could fill that position behind the bench in a suit equally well, but possibly could have figured out a way to rise into the top 12 and get to put a uniform on at least occasionally. Rolle wouldn't have gotten the money, but keeping him could conceivably have been looked at as an attempt to recoup some of the wasted money spent on Stephenson, as well as whatever was spent in making the trade up to get Rolle with the last pick.

So, as it stands, the Pacers wasted both Lance's contract as well as losing Rolle in the process, in essence keeping one pick for the price of 3. Awesome GM we have there, huh?

Quote Originally Posted by MLB007 View Post
    I'd like to see what the entire team can do for this coach...
    That movie has been playing for over 250 times these past 3+ years at the NBA cinemaplex.
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

36. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post: