Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 83 Points?

Default Re: 83 Points?

If he doesn't have other baggage besides ordering a bratty concussed kid into a shed, I would love to hire Mike Leach, the former Texas Tech coach. Stubborn as a mule, but an offensive genius.

It will always be hard to recruit football players to Indiana, given the competition. His offensive philosophy would be entertaining, though. I would think that kids might want to play that style.

We might still give up 83 points, but maybe we'd win 86-83!

The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

The fact that we sold a home game shows that we don't have a complete commitment to winning football games at IU. We almost certainly would have lost the game in Bloomington, but we still would have had a much better chance of winning there then we will at FedEx field. That will be like a home game for Penn State given all the alumns they have on the East Coast.

Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoJ View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Oh, I remember this now. I misread, I thought you were saying Penn State was paying us $3 million to play at their stadium, and I'm pretty sure Big Ten rules don't allow for that.
    Haha, no. But it might as well be a home game for them.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Quote Originally Posted by Slick Pinkham View Post
    If he doesn't have other baggage besides ordering a bratty concussed kid into a shed, I would love to hire Mike Leach, the former Texas Tech coach. Stubborn as a mule, but an offensive genius.

It will always be hard to recruit football players to Indiana, given the competition. His offensive philosophy would be entertaining, though. I would think that kids might want to play that style.

We might still give up 83 points, but maybe we'd win 86-83!

I would be OK with Leach, he's definitely got an abrasive personality, but I don't think he's ever been accused of cheating. Although, I'd imagine after getting burned hard by Sampson, the brass at IU is a little weary of taking a flier on a high risk, high reward coach from the Big 12.

I know you guys haven't brought up his name, but I hear Peegs is going nuts about him, so I'll just go ahead and say it.

You got no chance in hell to land Brady Hoke. Not one. Zilch. Nodda. Nope. Non. Nein. etc.

When he goes to the Big 10, he will be wearing Blue and Maize. He wants the Michigan job, and he will eventually get it. (I think he'll be right there after Rich Rod is booted)

The only time I listen to Peegs is when it comes to recruits because he has a ton of people in his ear, otherwise I find him to be a blowhard with a big podium.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

And to be honest, Peegs was pretty slow on the uptake when it came to Zeller, Dakich gets the credit for calling his commitment before anyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    The only reason I'm not ranting about Lynch is because I've got all of my hate focused on Jim O'Brien right now.

If anyone cares to dig it up, you can see that I was quite unhappy when we held onto Lynch. I said he would drag us right back down and, sure enough, here we are.
    Sometimes the only thing being bitter and negative gets you is the satisfaction of being right...
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

I mean, was there anyone who was exactly doing backflips about the Lynch extension? I thought it was universally agreed upon that it was a terrible decision.

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Slick Pinkham View Post
    love the picture.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    I mean, was there anyone who was exactly doing backflips about the Lynch extension? I thought it was universally agreed upon that it was a terrible decision.
    Right. Except that it was the cheapest possible solution.

I still don't see what DiNardo did wrong, but then again who would have thought Hoeppner would get sick.

Too bad Cameron is a career coordinator. Was really hoping he'd be the guy but he wasn't.

Right. Except that it was the cheapest possible solution.

I still don't see what DiNardo did wrong, but then again who would have thought Hoeppner would get sick.

Too bad Cameron is a career coordinator. Was really hoping he'd be the guy but he wasn't.
    I thought DiNardo was stuck in neutral.

Hep passing just hit us like a ton of bricks, was he the best X's and O's guy in the world? No, but he was average at least, and he had a motor that never stopped, and actually loved the program. The man had passion and a vision, his first press conference with the rose in front of him was just that. Just like Crean has shown the passion to reignite the basketball program I honestly think Hep would have done the same for football, but now it is time to move on from the Hep era. We have top flight facilities, and it is time to get a coach in here that can sell them.

Also, I don't know what happened when I showed up at IU, but I was there for arguably the four most depressing years of athletics in the school's history. From Hep's passing to Sampson's Debacle to the IU Soccer program criminally underachieving, I guess it was just the Pacer fan in me bleeding on to everything else.

Also, I don't know what happened when I showed up at IU, but I was there for arguably the four most depressing years of athletics in the school's history. From Hep's passing to Sampson's Debacle to the IU Soccer program criminally underachieving, I guess it was just the Pacer fan in me bleeding on to everything else.

At least the Colts beat the Bears our freshman year. Rubbing that in the faces of the Chicago people and northern Indiana Chicago wannabees still brings a smile to my face, given how obnoxious they were throughout that 06 season.

But you're right about how depressing IU athletics were throughout our four years. It was kind of the best of times and the worst of times...but more of the worst.....The 06-07 bball team was a fun team to watch and things were great when we were at the height of our strength in the 07-08 season, then it all came crashing down. And at least we got to see a football victory over Purdue in exciting fashion.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

With only three seasons, and Cameron's lousy recruiting (one of the reasons he'll be a great assistant coach for the rest of his career), what did you expect from DiNardo?

I think Hep was an upgrade, but enough of an upgrade to justify paying them both? I don't know. You can't talk about how bad Lynch is without acknowledging what put us here in the first place.

love the picture.
    I stole it from a Peegs poster, I forget who.
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    I know you guys haven't brought up his name, but I hear Peegs is going nuts about him, so I'll just go ahead and say it.

You got no chance in hell to land Brady Hoke. Not one. Zilch. Nodda. Nope. Non. Nein. etc.

When he goes to the Big 10, he will be wearing Blue and Maize. He wants the Michigan job, and he will eventually get it. (I think he'll be right there after Rich Rod is booted)
    I don't know anything about our chances with Hoke, but I don't know that he ends up at Michigan. If the Wolverines were to fire Rich Rodriguez, one would think the slam dunk, no brainer pick would be Jim Harbaugh of Stanford, no? Unless he decides to go to the NFL instead.

The only time I listen to Peegs is when it comes to recruits because he has a ton of people in his ear, otherwise I find him to be a blowhard with a big podium.
    Why is that?

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    Why is that?
    Just the way I read his stuff, don't know how to explain it, I just don't like him. His opinion stuff is usually very reactionary and poorly thought out. I respect his info he can get on recruits, but otherwise, color me unimpressed on his opinion pieces.

Congrats on the win guys. It was almost worth it just to see your kicker thrown around like a blow-up doll.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Too bad we sold that Penn State game. If that game is at home then maybe that's enough to pull it out.

I always love seeing us beat the Boilers. I just hope it wasn't enough to save Lynch's job. Beating a (sorry Purdue fans) crappy team with all their best players hurt in OT isn't exactly a sign of progress to me.

Mood

And it wasn't. Bill Lynch is gone.

http://www.indystar.com/article/2010...69/SPORTS0601/

BLOOMINGTON, Ind. -- In a hastily called news conference Sunday to announce that Indiana football coach Bill Lynch and his staff would not be retained for the final year of Lynch's contract, athletic director Fred Glass made a few things perfectly clear:

He's not in a rush to hire a new coach.
    He will not form a search committee but rather will make this decision on his own with guidance.
    He's willing to pay top dollar to confirm IU's commitment to the football program.
    "We are going to have a national search, and I will lead that personally,'' Glass said. "There will not be a search committee. I think it's important for people to understand, including but not only potential candidates, that this decision will be my decision.
    "At the end of the day, the buck stops with me. I think that's particularly important to underscore given in the past it has been a little unclear (at Indiana) who has been making the choices of coaches.''
    Glass said he will seek the advice of a number of people, including Indianapolis Colts president Bill Polian, former Colts coach Tony Dungy, members of Glass' staff, past and current IU football players as well as a host of other colleagues in and around college football. He said IU also has hired the consulting firm Neinas Sports Services.
    Asked about a timetable for Lynch's successor, Glass said, "It's more important that we get it right than we get it fast.''
    As for the money issue, Glass didn't hesitate to respond. Lynch's yearly salary of just more than $660,000 ranked last in the Big Ten.
    "We're prepared to make available the financial resources we need to get the person and persons that we want,'' Glass said.
    Glass said IU would honor all verbal commitments the university received for the upcoming recruiting class.
    One of those recruits, Lawrence Central High School quarterback Tre Roberson, said he hadn't heard about Lynch being fired when contacted by a reporter.
    "I'll have to see who comes in as the new coach,'' said Roberson, who was recruited by Lynch's son, wide receivers coach Billy Lynch. "I'll wait and see and then make a decision on what I want to do. I'm still committed to Indiana.''

Honestly, I'd retain Billy Lynch as an assistant if we could. He did a marvelous job with our receivers while he was here.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

This is a big hire for Glass. It's his first major coaching hire since he took over as AD. He is saying all the right things, let's see who he brings in here to help turn around our awful football program.

There's a good point that's been made by TPTB about all that TV money. I think you guys are finally in a position to be serious about funding a serious program. Still gonna be a tough sell, especially with being stuck in the hard division and having to play a resurgent Michigan State as your "rival".

That said, Notre Dame's not looking so hot, and Danny Hope sure ain't lighting up much of anything, so the opportunity is there to really change the local landscape with a big time hire.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!