Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dampier: 7-years, $73M

Default Dampier: 7-years, $73M

:

Would somebody please *****-slap Cuban already.

'Sign' in place for Mavs-Warriors trade

DALLAS -- The Dallas Mavericks got a big man, completing an eight-player sign-and-trade deal Tuesday that will bring Erick Dampier from the Golden State Warriors.

In the deal, Dampier will receive a seven-year, $73 million contract, ESPN The Magazine's Ric Bucher has learned.

Dallas sends Christian Laettner, Eduardo Najera, two future first-round draft picks and the draft rights to guards Luis Flores and Mladen Sekularac to the Warriors for Dampier, Dan Dickau, Evan Eschmeyer and the draft rights to Steve Logan.

The 6-foot-11 Dampier averaged career highs of 12.3 points and 12 rebounds in 74 games last season for the Warriors. He was fourth in the NBA in rebounding, and one of just nine players to average more than 10 points and 10 rebounds a game.

Dampier opted out of his contract with the Warriors in late June and became a free agent after seven seasons with Golden State.

Donnie Nelson, the Mavericks president of basketball operations, was in Greece for the Olympics and not immediately available for comment.

A call to Dampier's cell phone was not immediately returned Tuesday evening.

While Dampier gives the Mavericks a much-needed big man for coach Don Nelson, Golden State achieved some objectives as well with the trade.

"We acquired quality players who can help our team now and several prospects that bode well for our future," said Chris Mullin, the Warriors' new executive vice president of basketball operations.

Najera averaged 4.9 points and 3.9 rebounds a game in his four seasons with the Mavericks, shooting 51 percent from the field. He was limited by knee problems last season.

Laettner, a 12-year veteran, spent the last three seasons in Washington before being traded back to Dallas on draft night. He has averaged 13.3 points and 6.9 rebounds over 819 career games with Minnesota, Atlanta, Detroit, Dallas and Washington.

Flores was the 55th overall pick by Houston in the June draft, but acquired by Dallas. Sekularac, who has played professionally in Europe since 1996, was the 55th overall pick by Dallas in the 2002 draft.

Dickau was traded from Portland to Golden State last month, and Eschmeyer missed all of last season due to multiple knee operations after going from Dallas to the Warriors in another multiplayer trade last summer. Logan was a second-round pick by the Warriors two years ago.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.
    So, anybody still think we could of gotten him for a partial MLE, if only we'd tried harder?
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Default Re: Dampier: 7-years, $73M

And I thought Brad Miller was overpaid.

The Mavs will regret this within 24 months.

The Mavs just added more O.

As in Overpaid.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'd rather have Damp than Brad. But at those prices, I guess I'm okay with neither.

We still need a center. What's the name of the guy in Seattle that everyone else around here hates?
    [edit=72=1093401779][/edit]
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

year of the black rainbow obnoxiousmodesty's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Wow. That's just... ugh.
    Take me out to the black, tell 'em I ain't coming back. Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me.

Calvin Booth was in seatlle

Some other big dummy is still there...

I'll agrue with those that say Brad is overpaid. I'll stand in line with those that say Damp is overpaid. Yeesh.

The frightening thing is I'd rather have Najera. Chris Mullin handled this one well, I think.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

NewType

If you were Mark Cuban, whom would you pay, Damp or Nash?

Niether

Joel

wow. I had no idea Ike Austi...errrr Dampier would command that much.

[edit=541=1093412737][/edit]
    [edit=541=1093412813][/edit]

he's great, but his knee is damaged goods i read. Aparently permanently.
    I'm sure there's a witty comment about dampier I could make here, but I've got a headache and I'm not sure what it is.

Anybody wanna fill in for me?
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Quote Originally Posted by Joel
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    wow. I had no idea Ike Austi...errrr Dampier would command that much.

Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Really, Adonal Foyle for $41 million, Mehmet Okur got $50 million, what did you think Erik Dampier was going to get? A coke and a smile?

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

I'm just baffled by the people who keep being amazed that starting level centers are bringing in big contracts.

As KStat pointed out we have a couple of players who are at least on the next rung down talent wise makeing big bucks. To me it was safe to assume that Dampier would also be making the $$.

Will Dallas regret this? Maybe? But then again why is this a worse contract than say that of Antoine Walker who will make $14,625,000? I would much rather pay a big man some dough than to pay tweeners this big $$.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Peck just HAD to offset Hick's avatar SOMEHOW.....

Why didn't I see this coming before...

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

Oh I'm not at all SURPRISED he got this money, I just don't feel he's worth it. He's no one's "perfect compliment" and he's not an all-star.

And I used to curse Corliss Williamson's contract.

PacerStud

The more of these that happen, the better we gotta feel about Cro's contract.

Maybe just a little.

All I can say is I'm very glad we didn't get him.

Goofy money. Especially if you fast forward to about the 2008-09 season.

Do people still think Brad Miller was overpaid?
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

It is a very good thing to not have won the bidding war for Dampier.

That's crazy money for a career average-to-below-average center.
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

It's the length of these contracts that are the killer.
    You're caught up in the Internet / you think it's such a great asset / but you're wrong, wrong, wrong
    All that fiber optic gear / still cannot take away the fear / like an island song

- Jimmy Buffett

Regardless of how good Damp is the contract is too long for someone of his age and injury history. I can't see him being in the league until he's 37.
    "They could turn out to be only innocent mathematicians, I suppose," muttered Woevre's section officer, de Decker.

"'Only.'" Woevre was amused. "Someday you'll explain to me how that's possible. Seeing that, on the face of it, all mathematics leads, doesn't it, sooner or later, to some kind of human suffering."

Zesty

Man I wish I was 7' tall. I'd be loaded.

Why did Jerry West appear to want Dampier so badly. Maybe Jerry is losing it as he gets older or maybe Dampier has emerged into a decent center.

Well the Mavs needed a center badly. Last year it was Najera and Walker at the end of the year at center. Yuk! Good move or not the Mavs had to do this move. They need center play and Dampier was the best available if you don't count shaq. He got the going rate for centers, IMO.

If Dampier averages 10 rebounds a year for 2 years then he is well worth it and holds trade value. The Mavs have added two young centers. If they develop and become servicable centers, I'd be willing to bet someone will take Dampier in a trade. As far as Najera. He is a crowd fave here in dallas for his hustle and we will miss him but I'd suspect he spends more time on the IL than Dampier. Najera is always injured.

Yeh, Mullin is gonna be real happy trotting that 8 mil per year center, Adonal Foyle onto the court.