Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Colin Cowherd on John Wall

Default Colin Cowherd on John Wall

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/dcs...d_leaders.html

I got killed on this John Wall thing, and I laugh about it, because I think I'm right and I say it....Oh by the way, what do I always say? Winners hang with winners. Leaders hang with leaders. Losers hang with losers. Dopes hang with dopes....Smart guys, leaders hang out with leaders. Who is John Wall's best friend on the team? Gilbert Arenas. They're inseparable. Think Magic Johnson, Stockton would buddy up with Gilbert Arenas? Really?....

"Big difference between talented and leader. And if you go back and you look at great leaders, they are very rarely from troubled childhoods. They have strong fathers. John Wall - and it's not his fault, nobody's saying it is - comes from a rough upbringing. That doesn't mean you can't be a nice player. if you go look at the history of the NBA - Magic Johnson, strong father. Michael Jordan, strong father. It's not a coincidence. Kobe Bryant, strong father....

"Now, there are exceptions. LeBron James is one. But don't we all question LeBron James's leadership? Don't we all question his heart? I mean, you folks do much more than I do, but don't we all say that LeBron is sort of missing something? Lot of people do. Now, I think LeBron's great. But boy, I'll tell you, that's the overwhelming media and fan felling on LeBron. He just doesn't have that leadership It, whatever It is. Just let the local meatballs attack me for John Wall. That's why they're local meatballs.

Default Re: Colin Cowherd: John Wall can't be a great player because his dad is dead

Some more choice words:

One of the things I've always knocked against Derrick Rose of the Chicago Bulls, Derrick Rose has a passive-aggressive personality. He's not confrontational. What does that mean? That's not a good husband, and it's not a good point guard, and it's not a good CEO. They have brain types. And people who test for brain types knew that Peyton Manning would be much more successful than Ryan Leaf, because of Peyton Manning's family background and his confrontational style. Derrick Rose pouts, gets moody, is passive-aggressive. I'm not a fan of Derrick Rose as my point guard. Rajon Rondo? Very confrontational. Argues with Doc Rivers, argues with teammates, argues with officials. I love that in my point guard. Magic would yap, Manning yaps, Brees yaps, Brady yaps, McNabb yaps. I want guys who are confrontational.

Default Re: Colin Cowherd: John Wall can't be a great player because his dad is dead

Unless you can find a quote with him actually saying that I think your thread title is a little misleading.

I realize you are not quoting him directly however just a quick glance makes it look like that is what he said.

However having said that let's all just agree that Cowherd is a douche and move on.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Peck For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

While I'll agree that most successful leaders in athletics are confrontational in their personality, I'm not necessarily buying the father angle.

However, though it is late I am struggling to come up with the perfect example to squelch this theory. At least in sports that is. Its all over the entertainment industry, but I'm not sure any of those are "leaders."

Regardless, it is assinine to make any proclamations about Wall after 10 games. Especially negative ones. Especially when he has done nothing but hit metaphorical homeruns thus far.
    House Name: Pacers

House Sigil:

House Words: "We Kneel To No King"

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

You really took that out of context. Please, change the title of this thread.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You really took that out of context. Please, change the title of this thread.
    How so? It's the connection he made.

No father = incapable of leadership.

Quote Originally Posted by King Tuts Tomb View Post

Yah, but you made it seem like Cowherd said that. He might have implied it in a roundabout way, but he didn't come out and say it like that.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond Dave View Post
    However, though it is late I am struggling to come up with the perfect example to squelch this theory. At least in sports that is. Its all over the entertainment industry, but I'm not sure any of those are "leaders."
    Outside of sports: Barack Obama, Andrew Jackson, George Washington, Bill Clinton.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to King Tuts Tomb For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    Yah, but you made it seem like Cowherd said that. He might have implied it in a roundabout way, but he didn't come out and say it like that.
    I'm not sure what's roundabout or implied about what he said. His thesis is pretty clear.

I'm not sure what's roundabout or implied about what he said. His thesis is pretty clear.
    I don't see where it says John Wall's dad is dead. I just see where he says that strong leaders have strong fathers, and John Wall's dad wasn't a strong leader. It just makes it sound a lot worse than it really is.

Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    However having said that let's all just agree that Cowherd is a douche and move on.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

This thread title is EXTREMELY misleading. Cowherd said if you don't have a strong father figure you might not be a particularly good leader. Could be the father left the family, or even just a 'weak' father. That's how your title is very very misleading.

Cowherd is a douche and I don't think he's a particularly good radio or tv host, but he does have somewhat of a point.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to oxxo For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Extremely misleading thread title. Unnecessary.

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:

"I'm your huckleberry"

Outside of sports: Barack Obama, Andrew Jackson, George Washington, Bill Clinton.
    Barack hasn't led me anywhere.
    Spoiler Spoiler:

21. The Following User Says Thank You to DocHolliday For This Useful Post:

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    Unless you can find a quote with him actually saying that I think your thread title is a little misleading.

I realize you are not quoting him directly however just a quick glance makes it look like that is what he said.

There is considerable psychological logic there, whether you agree with it or not.

Banned

No father = less likely incapable of leadership.
    Fixed (and it's true)

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by DocHolliday View Post
    Barack hasn't led me anywhere.
    he's the leader of the most powerful country in the world.
    He IS your leader.

Isiah Thomas, as a player?

No Dad, from the "projects"

great leader on the court, legendary player
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Slick Pinkham For This Useful Post:

Well, regardless of what he said, I think Colin Cowherd is a douche bag.

crazy shinaniganz BringJackBack's Avatar

Isaiah Thomas
    Larry Bird
    Lebron James

All haven't had fathers that were really around for them compared to

Magic Johnson
    Michael Jordan
    Kobe Bryant

I don't really think that this argument holds much water anyway.

As with the second quote, I'd take Rondo over Rose too, but if I were Chicago I'd be happy with what I have.

29. The Following User Says Thank You to BringJackBack For This Useful Post:

You're more likely to succeed if you grow up in a two parent household. Let's not try to legitimize or further institutionalize horrible behavior here.

31. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to idioteque For This Useful Post:

Nerd.
    Mood

Title is very misleading and misrepresentative of what Cowherd actually said.

I say to the mods, fix the title. No reason for this crap.

crazy shinaniganz BringJackBack's Avatar

Not at all what I am saying. At all. I am not excusing leaving their children at all. At all. Not a single bit. I feel the way you do about this behavior.

I am saying that just because someone doesn't have a dad doesn't mean that they have an excuse to be unsuccessful. At least thats what one of my professors said. That also doesn't mean that they won't have that killer instinct. That is what Larry Bird was exclusively known for.

I guess Kevin Durant is screwed too.

Colin was talking about being a LEADER. There is a difference between being a great LEADER and a great PLAYER. They don't always go together.

Guys like Derek Fisher and Udonis Haslem are considered leaders and they are not their teams best players.

I don't always think highly of what Cowherd has to say but there is truth to what he said or at least what has been quoted here. There are exceptions to what he said but the chance of being a good leader increase with a strong father figure. This isn't breaking news.

John Wall is already a good player in the NBA and very talented. He CAN be a great LEADER regardless of his background the chance of that just isn't as likely as someone with a different background.

36. The Following User Says Thank You to Young For This Useful Post: