Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: JOB using Hibbert at the Elbow...

Default JOB using Hibbert at the Elbow...

I have to bring this up because it just mind boggling to me. 2 straight losses where the opposing team's best player/center is out of the game, both teams literally have no one capable of guarding Roy Hibbert in the post. Yet we see JOB going away from dumping the ball to him down low, and more of Hibbert facilitating the offense at the Elbow. I do not understand this move. I do not need Roy Hibbert to shoot a mid range jumper like Brad Miller, its nice if its there as a last resort. But why should our 7-2 post player be looking for that shot, when nobody can actually stop him down low. These are games where Hibbert could easily score 25-30pts with his post game. These are situations where teams would have to leave their man to help out the Drew Goodens and Brad Millers, thus leaving their man open. Isn't this better than hoping one of our wings might move without the ball and cut towards the basket or taking another jump shot?

Am I the only one who notices this?

2. The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to graphic-er For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

crazy shinaniganz BringJackBack's Avatar

Default Re: JOB using Hibbert at the Elbow...

Thank you for saying this. It is very much appreciated as this is exactly what I feel.

Here we go Steelers.. jmoney2584's Avatar

One of my many thoughts of displeasure as well.

I believe JOBs idea behind it is that it accentuates Roy's ability to pass and by being on the elbow it allows for people to move in front and behind him, giving him more potential options.

Now, this is just how i interpret it. On the surface, there is nothing wrong with this. However, I believe it should be in limited situations. Maybe Roy backing down in the low post, but doesn't feel comfortable with the shot, or can't get the desired position...pass out and come to the high post to get the ball again and hopefully some player movement will occur as the players cycle around roy as the focal point. Think of Roy as the actual nipple and the other players rotating, screening and cutting around him in motion within the space that would be the areola. A nice play would be the milk...... where was I going with this...Oh yea, I think the high post could be effective if used ito set up the low post, the low post being where 70-75% of his offense comes from. Use the high post just to keep'em off balance or in the beginning of a play to facilitate good player movement.

BTW Don't jude this post to harshly, my sobriety is slightly questionable after the loss tonight.
    Last edited by jmoney2584; 11-13-2010 at 12:32 AM.
    Roy Hibbert.... It's the POWER!!!

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by graphic-er View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I have to bring this up because it just mind boggling to me. 2 straight losses where the opposing team's best player/center is out of the game, both teams literally have no one capable of guarding Roy Hibbert in the post. Yet we see JOB going away from dumping the ball to him down low, and more of Hibbert facilitating the offense at the Elbow. I do not understand this move. I do not need Roy Hibbert to shoot a mid range jumper like Brad Miller, its nice if its there as a last resort. But why should our 7-2 post player be looking for that shot, when nobody can actually stop him down low. These are games where Hibbert could easily score 25-30pts with his post game. These are situations where teams would have to leave their man to help out the Drew Goodens and Brad Millers, thus leaving their man open. Isn't this better than hoping one of our wings might move without the ball and cut towards the basket or taking another jump shot?

ive noticed this also ya thank u for the post. We should have had Roy posting Brad up during the whole 4th qt.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I agree.

I also notice that when Roy takes that shot, although it might go in, he doesn't look comfortable taking it. That's not what he really worked on this offseason.

Roy is needed down low and that's what he's accustom to.

He could've taken advantage in the post because Brad Miller struggles to defend down low.

He did score 18 points though so he still had a decent game.

Mood

I'm especially frustrated on nights like tonight when Houston's defense was playing to prevent our cutters from getting anything near the rim. The only passes we had to make from the high post were either out to the sides or a handoff for a long-range 2 or a 3.

Post their asses up. I'd rather risk Roy letting us down after we force feed him on the low block that taking the shots we ended up with tonight.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by jmoney2584 View Post
    Think of Roy as the actual nipple

lol you called roy a nipple ...

sorry my immature inner child laughed @ that , but i see the umm point you were trying to make..
    Quote Originally Posted by naptownmenace View Post
    Plumlee reminds me of a young Dale Davis. Good rebounding and he contests shots well on defense and his offensive game is very raw just like DD's was coming out of college.
    "If my answers frighten you, then you should cease asking scary questions."

Banned

Hibbert probably could have fouled out Miller and Scola if he got the ball in the post as many times as he should have.

The good teams / coaches gameplan to take advantage of stuff like this.

Maybe JOB has been buring the midnight oil watching old clips of
    the '77 Blazers (ie, Hibbs in the Bill Walton role)...

Banned

Gotta agree

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

Psa. 6:3

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

Yes, it is crazy the way JOB uses Roy in the post. I wouldn't be surprised if he pushed him out beyond the three point line. You would think he would want him post to exploit the Rockets lack of size and force Brad to defend him.
    Avatar photo credit: Bahram Mark Sobhani - AP

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Did anyone see how hard it was for anyone to get the ball to Roy when he WAS in the low post? The success that comes to mind was when Dun had to lob it way up in the air to get it to him, and by the time Roy was set after catching it he was swarmed with bodies and couldn't do anything with it.

Roy isn't yet able to force his way up to the rim when he is physically defended, he has to have room for a move or a hook shot.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

We had some spacing issues at times, but then we'd repost successfully. There was what, one/two plays where Hibbert got trapped?

Hell, I'd take Hibbert at the elbow over what we're normally doing. What grinds my gears is that when Solomon was playing he'd get the ball at the elbow on almost every offensive possession, which is exactly what Hibbert should be doing.

Mood

Another thing that bugs me is when I see a would-be post feeder stare at Roy for 2-4 seconds while Roy has position before finally giving him the ball.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

You guys are complaining about this now?

I remember complaining about the same thing when Foster was our Center and he would be camped near the top of the key or around the elbow taking shots. Heck....Solo does the same. Hasn't JO'B run the Offense like this for the last 3 years?
    Last edited by CableKC; 11-13-2010 at 08:16 PM.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    Did anyone see how hard it was for anyone to get the ball to Roy when he WAS in the low post? The success that comes to mind was when Dun had to lob it way up in the air to get it to him, and by the time Roy was set after catching it he was swarmed with bodies and couldn't do anything with it.

Roy isn't yet able to force his way up to the rim when he is physically defended, he has to have room for a move or a hook shot.
    This. This a lot.

The Doctor's In The House TheDon's Avatar

My mind boggles that instead of letting our point guard create shots for teammates we let our 7'2'' center do it...it is the most bassackwards offense I've ever seen any coach utilize. Am I glad that Roy can do it? Yeah...do I think it's the most effective way to run an offense? No...

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheDon For This Useful Post:

Several times tonight we seen Roy come above the arch to catch a pass. Whats up with that? Your 7-2 center has no business running offense up there! If I were our opponents I'd give him that long range 2pt jumper all night long. No way is he gonna hit that at a better clip than his jump hook and I don't have to worry about my big buy fouling hibbert in the post. JOB simply gives advantages to opponents with the offense he wants to run.

Several times tonight we seen Roy come above the arch to catch a pass. Whats up with that? Your 7-2 center has no business running offense up there! If I were our opponents I'd give him that long range 2pt jumper all night long. No way is he gonna hit that at a better clip than his jump hook and I don't have to worry about my big buy fouling hibbert in the post. JOB simply gives advantages to opponents with the offense he wants to run.
    Actually, through 8 games Hibbert was slightly more accurate from 16 to 23 feet compared to inside of 10 feet.

http://www.hoopdata.com/player.aspx?name=Roy%20Hibbert

I like using Hibbert at the high post, it adds another element to his game. If he were a dominant low post player (he's clearly not) then you could just milk that all day. But even tonight in the post game quotes Roy takes responsibility for not establishing better position during the 3rd quarter.

Quoting the Pacers’ Roy Hibbert

“(On the difference between the first half and the second half) Second half I couldn’t find my spot and was pushed off of it. You can’t play that way. There are two halves and you have to be consistent. I should have boxed out better."

He's respectable in the low post and decent as well in the high post with his decision making. I think it just makes him a bigger all-around threat.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to DonSwanson For This Useful Post:

I think if people actually watched what was happening instead of having their heads filled with the Roy Hibbert hype machine that was this summer, then a lot more criticism, and less complaining about Roy's touches in the post would occur

Quote Originally Posted by DonSwanson View Post
    Actually, through 8 games Hibbert was slightly more accurate from 16 to 23 feet compared to inside of 10 feet.

http://www.hoopdata.com/player.aspx?name=Roy%20Hibbert

I like using Hibbert at the high post, it adds another element to his game. If he were a dominant low post player (he's clearly not) then you could just milk that all day. But even tonight in the post game quotes Roy takes responsibility for not establishing better position during the 3rd quarter.

Quoting the Pacers’ Roy Hibbert

“(On the difference between the first half and the second half) Second half I couldn’t find my spot and was pushed off of it. You can’t play that way. There are two halves and you have to be consistent. I should have boxed out better."

He's respectable in the low post and decent as well in the high post with his decision making. I think it just makes him a bigger all-around threat.
    I don't really care if he is slightly more accurate. It takes him out of the post. Gets him away from drawing fouls. For the handful of shots he misses down in the post he is also going to get a handful of FT attempts to make up for it. He's not getting fouled for taking the 20' jumper.

Did you watch what happened when he tried to Post Brad Miller. Maybe he just need to bend down more but he isn't able to back guys down. Getting a lower center of gravity might help, but Hibbert was getting outplayed by Miller that night and Got pulled because Miller put up 9 quick points.

Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post

I think most in this forum fail to realize teams main defensive goal against Roy is to keep him from getting low post position.

A system that slowed down the offense and there were more PnRs for Darren to feed the ball to Roy in the post would be great.

Roy's gotten very aggressive in the post and has the ability to score down there.