Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 26 to 44 of 44

Thread: 31 and 31, rebounds and points for Love

  1. #26

    Default Re: 31 and 31, rebounds and points for Love

    25 and 22 in the second half ALONE.

    Here's the exclusive 30-30 club Love joined Friday night: Wilt Chamberlain, Nate Thurmond, Elgin Baylor, Walt Bellamy, Elvin Hayes, Jerry Lucas, George Mikan, Bill Russell, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Walter Dukes, Bailey Howell, Gus Johnson, Swen Nater, Robert Parish, Willis Reed, Bob Pettit and Maurice Stokes.

    I still think that the most unsurpassable basketball record is Wilt's 55 rebound game, which believe it or not was against Bill Russell and the Celtics. Is is rare for there to be 55 boards by a TEAM in one game
    Last edited by Slick Pinkham; 11-13-2010 at 11:23 AM.
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

  2. #27
    Over the pond ballism's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Baltics (Europe)
    Posts
    2,427

    Default Re: 31 and 31, rebounds and points for Love

    Quote Originally Posted by Slick Pinkham View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I still think that the most unsurpassable basketball record is Wilt's 55 rebound game, which believe it or not was against Bill Russell and the Celtics.
    Considering that shooting over 40% around the basket was a good day for Russell, and he used to take ~30 shots per game at his prime, that's very easy to believe

  3. #28

    Default Re: 31 and 31, rebounds and points for Love

    It's easy to believe that despite the 55 rebounds by Wilt, the Celtics won 132-129.

    Russell shot 44% for his career, so he was indeed Jermaine-like (46% for JO, 42% in the playoffs) though Bill never averaged more than 16.6 shots per game in any season. http://www.basketball-reference.com/...russebi01.html
    Last edited by Slick Pinkham; 11-13-2010 at 11:46 AM.
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to Slick Pinkham For This Useful Post:


  5. #29
    Nerd.
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Greenwood, IN
    Age
    32
    Posts
    5,062
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: 31 and 31, rebounds and points for Love

    Quote Originally Posted by Slick Pinkham View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's easy to believe that despite the 55 rebounds by Wilt, the Celtics won 132-129.

    Russell shot 44% for his career, so he was indeed Jermaine-like (46% for JO, 42% in the playoffs) though Bill never averaged more than 16.6 shots per game in any season.
    Wouldn't that be, Jermaine was "Russell-like"?

  6. #30
    woman without a team
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,055

    Default Re: 31 and 31, rebounds and points for Love

    Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    i thoght they said it was Charles Barkley
    They mentioned Barkley (I don't remember why), but Malone in '82.

  7. #31
    Over the pond ballism's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Baltics (Europe)
    Posts
    2,427

    Default Re: 31 and 31, rebounds and points for Love

    Quote Originally Posted by Slick Pinkham View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's easy to believe that despite the 55 rebounds by Wilt, the Celtics won 132-129.

    Russell shot 44% for his career, so he was indeed Jermaine-like (46% for JO, 42% in the playoffs) though Bill never averaged more than 16.6 shots per game in any season. http://www.basketball-reference.com/...russebi01.html
    You are right, I exagerated it here. Russell shot 42.6 that year, which was actually 2nd best on his team. And indeed it's easy to believe Celtics won - considering the scrubs Wilt was surrounded with, and that 1960 was what - his 2nd year?

    But the point remains the same - when u are battling a team that shoots below .400 and shoots around 130 shots per game, it's easy to believe that someone will get 50+ rebounds at some point The rebounding records of that time do indeed seem amazing at first glance, yet they are pretty irrelevant today.
    It is probably not possible to find the complete stats of that game online, but i wouldn't be surprise that the 31 rebounds by Love was actually at the level of Wilt's 55 - when u account for game pace and total misses.

  8. #32

    Default Re: 31 and 31, rebounds and points for Love

    Kevin Love had more rebounds last night (31) than Chris Bosh has had all month (28)
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

  9. #33
    Can see thru wooden doors dal9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    2,909

    Default Re: 31 and 31, rebounds and points for Love

    ^ wow that is embarassing

    ^^^^ 25 & 22 in a half, wow...on pace for 50 & 44...

  10. #34
    Stay focused SMosley21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Going the distance
    Age
    31
    Posts
    2,534

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: 31 and 31, rebounds and points for Love

    Love also has more rebounds in his last 3 games (64) than Bosh has for the entire season so far (54).
    Grown Man Ball

  11. #35
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    3,656
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: 31 and 31, rebounds and points for Love

    Kevin Love has NBA's first 30-30 game in 28 years - Ball Don't Lie - NBA* - Yahoo! Sports

    Quote Originally Posted by Kelly Dwyer
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    When Kevin Love(notes) makes a prediction, he's not going to be talking about points or assists or (as a member of the Minnesota Timberwolves) wins. The AP has their back and forth:
    At one point in the third quarter, Kevin Love leaned over to Michael Beasley on the bench and whispered in his ear.
    "I'm going for 30 tonight," Love said.
    With Love having only seven points at the time, Beasley looked at him and said, "Thirty what?"
    "Thirty what?" Seriously? It's Kevin Love. Geez.

    Love got his 30 -- rebounds -- in the Minnesota win over New York. Thirty-one of those caroms, actually, along with 31 points, and it's just a remarkable achievement even considering the fact that New York was playing a converted power forward (Amar'e Stoudemire(notes)) at center along with two small forwards up front. Thirty-one, my friends, is 31, and it's the first time in 28 years this has even happened in the NBA.
    And even though we saw Love grab a few boards away from teammates (not too rudely, but we have noticed this aspect a couple of times a game in each of Minnesota's games), 31 is 31.

    With that night, Love moves more than a half-rebound ahead of Chicago's Joakim Noah(notes) in the rebounds-per-game department. But as Henry Abbott detailed yesterday, looking at rebounds per game (while discussing season-long performance) in the NBA is nearly as silly as going to "fly balls caught, per game" in baseball or "carries, per game" in football. It's not about the raw numbers. It's about the amount of rebounds you pull in given the amount of chances that you're afforded.

    Noah, who is having a fantastic season, is pulling in just over 20 percent of all available rebounds while he's on the court.

    Love? Over 25 percent. Keep in mind that Noah's 20 percent would usually lead the league, and Dennis Rodman is the all time leader in this rate (rebound rate, if you will) at 23.4 percent.

    Kind of makes you wonder if Timberwolves coach Kurt Rambis will deign to play Love more than the 29 1/2 minutes per game he's averaging on the season. Love (who isn't hampered by foul trouble, at 2.4 fouls per game) is averaging an astounding 18 points, 14.6 rebounds and nearly two assists in just under 30 minutes a game.

    It should also be noted that this game wasn't even televised for Love's home fans. As a favor to them, here's some video evidence.

  12. #36
    Member odeez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Oakland, CA
    Posts
    3,776

    Default Re: 31 and 31, rebounds and points for Love

    wow!
    Avatar photo credit: Bahram Mark Sobhani - AP

  13. #37

    Default Re: 31 and 31, rebounds and points for Love

    Quote Originally Posted by ballism View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

    It is probably not possible to find the complete stats of that game online, but i wouldn't be surprise that the 31 rebounds by Love was actually at the level of Wilt's 55 - when u account for game pace and total misses.

    I get so tired of people trying to evaluate what a player did in the 60's as irrelevant compared todays players and games with stats. How can those who never saw Wilt play compare his accomplishments with players today? YOU CAN'T! I'm one of the few on this board who can even say they remember when Wilt was given a "blank" contract and told to fill in the amount by Philly when signing him, and then saw him play throughout his career. IIRC, Wilt was the 1st mil dollar salary player in sports. Wilt had the size, strength, and agility, not to mention ability, that GM's today drool over. There is a reason Wilt is one of the 50 greatest players!! If there was a clone of Wilt today, I'd trade anyone and everyone on the Pacers to get him. Great accomplishment by Love, but lets not dimenish Wilt's 55 REB accomplishment by trying to judge and compare them with stats.

  14. #38

    Default Re: 31 and 31, rebounds and points for Love

    Quote Originally Posted by Slick Pinkham View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Kevin Love had more rebounds last night (31) than Chris Bosh has had all month (28)
    Ouch.

  15. #39

    Default Re: 31 and 31, rebounds and points for Love

    Quote Originally Posted by Justin Tyme View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I get so tired of people trying to evaluate what a player did in the 60's as irrelevant compared todays players and games with stats. How can those who never saw Wilt play compare his accomplishments with players today? YOU CAN'T! I'm one of the few on this board who can even say they remember when Wilt was given a "blank" contract and told to fill in the amount by Philly when signing him, and then saw him play throughout his career. IIRC, Wilt was the 1st mil dollar salary player in sports. Wilt had the size, strength, and agility, not to mention ability, that GM's today drool over. There is a reason Wilt is one of the 50 greatest players!! If there was a clone of Wilt today, I'd trade anyone and everyone on the Pacers to get him. Great accomplishment by Love, but lets not dimenish Wilt's 55 REB accomplishment by trying to judge and compare them with stats.
    Tony Kornheiser claimed this week that Wilt was the greatest athlete of all time.

  16. #40
    Over the pond ballism's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Baltics (Europe)
    Posts
    2,427

    Default Re: 31 and 31, rebounds and points for Love

    Quote Originally Posted by Justin Tyme View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If there was a clone of Wilt today, I'd trade anyone and everyone on the Pacers to get him.
    So would I. And what's your point? Exactly what I'm saying, we can't compare it and we can't judge it. Wilt was the main reason why NBA, not ABA survived to this day. Wilt was the first real basketball superstar when only baseball and boxing seemed to have superstars. Anyone and everything was judged in comparison to Wilt at the time - 'beating the Goliath' gave a huge push to superstardom to Russell, Kareem and Willis Reed, among others. He had height, athleticism and strength that was miles ahead of anyone till Kareem and comparable to best centers from 80s to today. We all know it, even if none of us was a mature person at Wilt's prime - unless there are people around 70 on this board, in which case I'd love to hear their memories.
    So what?
    All of that doesnt mean however that we should drop a Wilt's stat and judge Love with it.
    'Not judging' goes both ways u know, otherwise we are fake in our views.

  17. #41
    Gold Stagger Hoop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Greenwood
    Posts
    4,525
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: 31 and 31, rebounds and points for Love

    Solo has 4 boards in 6 games.
    "Just look at the flowers ........ BANG"

  18. #42
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Your Dreams.
    Posts
    323

    Default Re: 31 and 31, rebounds and points for Love

    Quote Originally Posted by Hoop View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Solo has 4 boards in 6 games.
    Cant afford to let him walk! Lock him up Bird!

  19. #43

    Default Re: 31 and 31, rebounds and points for Love

    Quote Originally Posted by KennerLeaguer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That may be a little unfair to Howland. The team did at least make it to the Final Four unlike Calipari's Kentucky Wildcats last season (although ironically the UCLA team did lose to Calipari's Memphis team that included Derrick Rose). Plus should we give Howland credit for developing guys like Collison, Westbrook and Moute who were not elite recruits?
    Yes, we should. Howland is the best teacher of defense in the game.

  20. #44
    Since 1984 1984's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    1,814

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: 31 and 31, rebounds and points for Love

    Quote Originally Posted by MLB007 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Amazing rebounds.
    but he MISSED 15 shots! And scored 30pts!
    How many shots did he TAKE??
    Less than thirty?

Similar Threads

  1. Taking a Comparative Look at LeBron
    By quinnthology in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-15-2010, 02:48 AM
  2. Did Anyone Think Hansbrough Would Be This Good So Soon?
    By hoosierguy in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 343
    Last Post: 12-23-2009, 03:32 PM
  3. The Pacers Summer League thread
    By pianoman in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 97
    Last Post: 07-08-2009, 10:06 AM
  4. My Original Article
    By scar in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 09-16-2004, 09:17 AM
  5. Complete Game 2 Coverage From The Detroit News & Detroit Free Press
    By obnoxiousmodesty in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-24-2004, 11:21 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •