Thread: Thoughts on quick technicals

Default Thoughts on quick technicals

I know this new emphasis took a ton of heat when it first started. However I have found this new rule to be refreshing. It seems like players have taken the hint and for the most part, when they don't like a call they have to just turn around and keep playing. I've really enjoyed seeing that.

There have definitely been some instances where it has been too quick and is especially negative when it effects a game, but for the most part I have enjoyed this change. Just wanted to hear everybody else's thoughts after seeing a couple weeks of the regular season.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to PacersAllDay For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Thoughts on quick technicals

I liked the rule when I first heard about it. It is refreshing not to see a bunch of grown men crying everytime the whistle is blown.

Yeah, I'm a Pacers fan. MyFavMartin's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

It seemed they were calling them very quickly in the preseason and once the regular season started, it's been erratic, with most games I've seen, players are getting by with stuff that was t'd up in the preseason. (i.e., I saw a player just the other night bounce the ball in frustration after a foul (more with himself) and not get t'd up.) I think from most of the games I've seen, the balance has been right.

It will be refreshing if it remains consistent. If they're going to T up Nate Robinson, they had better T up Lebron James too. Seeing how NBA officiating usually is, I don't see the officials being consistent.

Unfortunately, the new rule has been interpreted to extend to giving players technicals for walking away from a play with disappointed expressions on their faces. That is a baffling interpretation of the rule and upsetting to watch, as a fan. Nate Robinson's technical in the recent Boston/Miami game. Paul Millsap's technical in the Utah/Orlando game. Both players said nothing to the officials, simply turning to walk away, maybe to cool off, maybe taking a breath.

Those technicals were shocking.

If the officials would cease issuing those, and maintain some consistency in the way they call these, I think it would be a good rule. That's not happening, so at the moment, I think it's a bad rule.

Hopefully it changes for the better as the season goes on.

A happy Roy is a good Roy DaveP63's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Love it. Just make sure you are consistent, as has been pointed out. I like watching them have to suck it up and play on.
    http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-tr...nce-stephenson
    "But, first, let us now praise famous moments, because something happened Tuesday night in Indianapolis that you can watch a lifetime’s worth of professional basketball and never see again. There was a brief, and very decisive, and altogether unprecedented, outburst of genuine officiating, and it was directed at the best player in the world, and that, my dear young person, simply is not done."

Quote Originally Posted by cramerica View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I liked the rule when I first heard about it. It is refreshing not to see a bunch of grown men crying everytime the whistle is blown.
    At the same time the refs have to stop calling these lame bailout calls when players OBVIOUSLY flail and flop to get to the foul line. I was watching the Nugget/Lakers game last night when LA was down late and Kobe purposely swung his arms into the defender and flailed like he got shot to get 3 free throws. As a defender that would make me furious to get a cheap whistle like that. If refs would eliminate those kind of idiotic calls where it's obvious they're being baited it would be a better league.