Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tonight's game (not the game thread. Just a pregame discussion leading up the the game)

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Tonight's game (not the game thread. Just a pregame discussion leading up the the game)

Are we projected to have a pretty big crowd tonight? Between it being Friday night and the fact that we had a historic game previously.

I think we're gonna win pretty big tonight.

Between the Rockets not having Aaron Brooks and Yao Ming probably unavailable for tonight's game. We definitly have the advantage.

Thoughts?

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Tonight's game (not the game thread. Just a pregame discussion leading up the the game)

Scola has been a beast to start the season. Josh might pick up thoes 2 quick fouls hope not.

Chairman of the Boards 90'sNBARocked's Avatar

Default Re: Tonight's game (not the game thread. Just a pregame discussion leading up the the game)

Quote Originally Posted by Trophy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Are we projected to have a pretty big crowd tonight? Between it being Friday night and the fact that we had a historic game previously.

I think we're gonna win pretty big tonight.

Between the Rockets not having Aaron Brooks and Yao Ming probably unavailable for tonight's game. We definitly have the advantage.

Thoughts?
    No to be a party pooper but I kind of think we will get blown out

It is easy for a big letdown after Tuesday's remarkable game
    The Rockets lost last time out
    Luis Scola will give McBob and Tyler lessons on how to score in the post
    We have won the last four against the Rockets

Hope I am wrong of course, but wouldn't be suprised either way
    Sittin on top of the world!

I think we really need to contain Scola, the guys is having a big season. That being said, I think Roy can more than handle whoever they throw at us in the center position.

However, I think my biggest concern is how many times we are going to send Kevin Martin to the line, we do have a tendency to send the opposing team to the line a lot, and K-Mart is one of those players that lives on drawing fouls. I think starting BRush would be a good idea, so he can stay infront of Martin, and keeping our bigs from fouling.

I'm looking forward to seeing how Tyler's defense will do in the post. For the most part, he's been good defensively on players with ball inside the arc.

Houston might even use Scola at center through out the game so we might get a stop if Roy is playing.

I think it'll be the Roy and Darren show tonight for sure.

Danny is gonna need to overcome Battier's 1-on-1 D and guys like Brandon, Paul, and Mike can't leave Kevin Martin open.

Besides Houson only has 1 win, but that apparently doesn't matter to this team.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Trophy For This Useful Post:

Do you think Paul George will get some burn?

Droppin' knowledge, yo. Mackey_Rose's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post
    Scola has been a beast to start the season. Josh might pick up thoes 2 quick fouls hope not.
    Defending players in the post has not been Josh's issue when it comes to getting in foul trouble. The lone exception to this was the San Antonio game when Blair got the better of him early, but then Josh adjusted and proceeded to keep Blair totally silenced the rest of the game.

His problem has been he's been too aggressive with his help defense. He doesn't seem willing to give up a layup if he's in the vicinity. Our perimeter defenders seem unwilling to take a foul to prevent an easy bucket, but we have Josh and Tyler, and to a bit of a lesser extent, Roy, who are the complete opposite. Unfortunately, I don't think we have enough front court depth where these fouls are acceptable. In certain siutations, I'd rather they gave up the occasional 2 points and save themselves the foul trouble. I'm glad we have that physical presence in the paint finally, but they need to do what is best for the team.

We can really only afford to go three deep in the front court, so if it means we need to give up a couple points here and there to keep those three on the court, I think it makes sense.

Tonight's game will be interesting. It seems like a game we should win if Brooks and Yao are both out, but a let down following Tuesday's crazy game is definitely possible. If you had asked me on Monday to predict our results from this week, I would have said a loss on Tuesday and Friday, and a win on Saturday. Now I think it is more likely we win on Tuesday and Friday and lose in Cleveland tomorrow night.

Let's hope I'm wrong and we can pull out all three this week.

His problem has been he's been too aggressive with his help defense. He doesn't seem willing to give up a layup if he's in the vicinity.
    I love that Josh wont allow lay ups. I was watching the Reggie 30/30 again last night and I loved the segment where Antonio and Dale were talking about the "no lay up rule"

Also I think part of the blame for Josh's foul trouble is poor perimeter defence from both Dunleaby and Collison. Same a slast year when the opposing team's guards would break our defence down off the dribble , forcing our PF to slide over and defend

10. The Following User Says Thank You to 90'sNBARocked For This Useful Post:

Here's a prediction that I think will frustrate us all in tonight's game:

Roy will have trouble scoring over Chuck Hayes in the low post. Even though Hayes is more than 6 inches shorter than Roy, he's an absolute beast defensively. He's going to consistently push Roy off his spots and make him work for every bucket. Roy is not strong enough to push Hayes around.

The upside is that Roy should be able to be really effective in the high post both passing and shooting. He should be able to face up and shoot over Hayes all day long. The other upside is that the Rockets have no one who can protect the rim, so our game plan needs to be to attack the rim mercilessly.
    "A man with no belly has no appetite for life."

- Salman Rushdie

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OakMoses For This Useful Post:

One thing I really want to see tonight, though I think it's unlikely, is the Rush-George-Granger trio.
    "A man with no belly has no appetite for life."

- Salman Rushdie

Quote Originally Posted by mellifluous View Post
    One thing I really want to see tonight, though I think it's unlikely, is the Rush-George-Granger trio.
    I would love to see this lineup, if for just a few minutes on the floor

Collison
    Rush
    George
    Granger
    Hibbert

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 90'sNBARocked For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by 90'sNBARocked View Post
    No to be a party pooper but I kind of think we will get blown out

It is easy for a big letdown after Tuesday's remarkable game
    The Rockets lost last time out
    Luis Scola will give McBob and Tyler lessons on how to score in the post
    We have won the last four against the Rockets

Hope I am wrong of course, but wouldn't be suprised either way
    The Pacers will need to remember they were on the other end of a similar blowout against the Rockets in the preseason. Hopefully that helps ward off a letdown......
    PSN: MRat731 XBL: MRat0731

I want to see 30+ minutes of Tyler. I have more fun watching him play than any Pacer since Ron Artest.
    I think the best lineup is DC Rush Granger Tyler Roy, with Josh as 6th.

Scola might have a big game, especially if we see Posey guarding him... Kevin Martin is freakin amazing too. I don't really know who we are going to have guarding him, Brandon might be too big and not fast enough. Kevin is so quick and has such a quick shot. He also draws fouls almost as well as the legendary Reggie, even with the modern rule changes.

It would've been fun to watch the Roy vs Yao matchup, but I doubt they play Yao.

I am stoked about this game, and though very pessimistic about the Pacers actually winning the game, it sure would be awesome to get some revenge for that ugly preseason game.

The light, not the lie. kester99's Avatar
    Mood

Cool! A pregame discussion.

The perfect place for the game Media Notes:

http://www.nba.com/pacers/news/notes.pdf

This edition contains such nuggets as:

Thus far in 2010-11, the Pacers have held their opponents to an
    average of 102.8 ppg, tied for 18th lowest in the NBA.
    �� The Pacers opponents this season have shot 44.6 percent from
    the floor and that is the 11th lowest defensive field goal
    percentage in the league.

Also here are the Rockets notes:

http://www.nba.com/rockets/news/notes.pdf

Yao Ming not listed as probable starter!

Thank you, unnamed Pacers and Rockets organization people who produce the game notes!
    Last edited by kester99; 11-12-2010 at 12:07 PM.
    [~]) ... Cheers! Go Pacers!

The light, not the lie. kester99's Avatar
    Mood

I think we're going to see how well or poorly the Pacers learned the lesson of the 2 or 3 day layoff, in combination with a very hungry opponent. We got blown out in Philly with that combination. How our youngsters respond will tell us something.
    [~]) ... Cheers! Go Pacers!

20. The Following User Says Thank You to kester99 For This Useful Post:

Pacers 4 Life.31 and only Pacers4Life's Avatar

I predicted a win in the guess the score... so obviously i think we will. I don't think a "letdown" is possible after they saw what they're offenSe COULD be... If we get beat it will bcuz the Rockets outplayed us and I just don't think they have the personnel to get that done tonight. G o Pacers!
    Reggie Miller is a God. Period.

Passion. Pride. Pacers.

It's ALWAYS Miller Time.
    #31 & Only

Do you think Paul George will get some burn?
    Maybe a little.

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    Maybe a little.
    I hope so

I am fine with Jim decreasing his minutes, as long as he doesnt get DNP-CD's

The Doctor's In The House TheDon's Avatar

I think tonight we're going to have to play a lot better defense than we played in the game against Denver (unless ya know we shoot near 100% again). I think we got enough bodies that if someone gets beat we have someone else there that'll be willing to slide over and make the stop. Really think it depends more on Collison than anybody else to pressure the ball and stay in front of his man. I think a combination of things like how we got blown out in Philly, the fact this team destroyed us in preseason, should be still relatively fresh in our teams mind to come out and stay focused or we're going to have another epic meltdown. I really think we can and should win this game. I'd really like for us to pull away late in the game by a wide margin so that we can rest people and keep people fresh for tomorrow's game as well.

There's no reason why we should lose tonight.

Houston is short key players and we're coming off of a big win.

At the same time, we can't take the Rockets' record for granted. They're hungry for a win like Philly was and we can't take it easy because they're a team that can take advantage.

Tyler and Josh are decent defenders and they need to step it up on Scola.

We also tend to beat Houston every season both at home and on the road.
    Last edited by Trophy; 11-12-2010 at 01:31 PM.

There's no reason why we should lose tonight.

Houston is short key players and we're coming off of a big win.

At the same time, we can't take the Rockets' record for granted. They're hungry for a win like Philly was and we can't take it easy because they're a team that can take advantage.

Tyler and Josh are decent defenders and they need to step it up in the post.

We also tend to be Houston every season both at home and on the road.
    Yeah I realy really want tio see DC domminate Kyle Lowry

Yeah I realy really want tio see DC domminate Kyle Lowry
    I think he will.

For the most part, we have the advantage at every position.

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Trophy For This Useful Post:

Game 8 Preview: Houston Rockets at Indiana Pacers

by ak2themax on

Well, this is getting depressing. 1-6. Yao hurt. Aaron Brooks hurt. Jordan Hill getting no playing time.
    As bad as all those are, remember that it could be worse. Kyle Lowry could be taking 10 jump shots per game. Oh crap...
    The Indiana Pacers are 3-3 and they have some hope in Indy for a team other than the Colts. They're young, they have good players at each starting position, and if they could just play defense they could be a real contender.
    So by now you've heard that the Pacers scored 54 points in a game half quarter. Wait, quarter? As in 12 minutes??? That's 4.5 points per minute! Holy crap! Well, the Rockets are losing tonight.
    Psych! Classic letdown game coming from the Pacers. You know it, I know it, but do the Rockets know it?
    Keys to the Game:
    Defensive Stops, which ends on a rebound
    Limit turnovers
    Get up on shooters (as Tom stated yesterday)
    On to the matchups,,,

Matchups:
    PG: Ish Smith vs. Darren Collison:
    At least I hope Ish Smith is the one starting. Look, you guys know how much I like Kyle Lowry, but I the dude is hurting. I appreciate him playing through it, but that doesn't give him license to jack up three pointers. Ever.
    Ish actually played well against the Wizards when he wasn't handing the ball to John Wall.
    Darren Collison was part of the big 4-team swap that the Rockets were a part of this summer. He hasn't had a great start to the season, but 17/5/3/2 is nothing to sneeze at. He's quick and plays smart basketball. Plus, he learned from Chris Paul for a year. Scary.
    Advantage: Pacers
    SG: Kevin Martin vs. Danny Granger:
    Yes, Granger is really a small forward, but the Pacers start both him and Mike Dunleavy. So I had to pick one so I picked Granger. He's averaging 21/5, which isn't that great for how much Clutchfans loves him. Seriously, half of the potential trades over there result in us getting Granger. Is there something I don't know about? I like him, and I know he's good, but he's getting hyped more than Inception, which had me thinking it was going to shoot solid gold at me. It didn't. Also, Granger isn't the second coming.
    Cue the comments section blowing up with "AK, you're an idiot" posts.
    Advantage: Even
    SF: Shane Battier vs. Mike Dunleavy:
    Shane will guard Granger, so that will leave Dunleavy to wreak havok on our defense. He scored 24 of their 54 points in that big third quarter. He's a good shooter and always lights up the Rockets.
    I usually don't have much to say in the small forward section, mainly because Shane doesn't do much other than play defense. Well, he's picked up his offense of late. Think he realizes it's a contract year for him?
    PF: Luis Scola vs. Josh McRoberts/Tyler Hansbrough:
    Both the Tar Heel and the Dukie average about the same amount of time on the court at the four.
    Neither of them is better than Scola, Together they average 17/11, which isn't too bad. White guys usually kill the Rockets. This is why Utah and Indiana have our number. It's a race thing. I'm telling you.
    Also, one of their PF backups is named Magnum Rolle. Is there a better name in the NBA? Because that one is awesome.
    Advantage: Rockets
    C: Who knows? vs. Roy Hibbert:
    Roy is really playing better this season. I never would have thought Roy Hibbert would be way better than Greg Oden, but that's the reality of the situation.
    I'm not going to try with the center position with the Rockets. I'm just going to give it to Hibbert.
    ---
    Bench:
    Pacers: T.J. Ford, Brandon Rush, James Posey, Paul George, Tyler Hansbrough, Solomon Jones
    Rockets: Lowry, Lee, Chase, Chuck, Brad Miller, Jordan Hill (one of the last two will start for Yao)
    Advantage: I want to give this to the Rockets, but I have to at least call it even. I should give it to the Pacers, but I still have faith in our guys
    Injuries:
    Pacers: Jeff Foster out (ankle)
    Rockets: Brooks out, Yao out, Lowry day-to-day
    Prediction: Rockets lose again, Armin takes to the drink.

http://www.thedreamshake.com/2010/11...indiana-pacers

Pretty good article until I got to the part about Magnum, come on do your research. I like our chances tonight, but Brd Miller could come in and score 25 on us who knows. We should have an advantage at every postion except power forward and isn't not like Scola is an all-star. I feel a big game for Collison is coming tonight. Our bench looks way better than theirs too. They have Lee, Budinger, Hayes and Hill. I'll take Rush, Ford, Tyler, and George any day.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to pacers74 For This Useful Post:

Mood

I think he will.

For the most part, we have the advantage at every position.
    except PF(Scola ) and SG (it is debatable if Rush and Dunleavy play good but i would still take martin and Lee and even chase SG)

Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post
    except PF(Scola ) and SG (it is debatable if Rush and Dunleavy play good but i would still take martin and Lee and even chase SG)
    The shooting guard position isn't even close...ADVANTAGE PACERS.....Brandon is a bettther shooter, and he actually plays defense....Kevin averages more points because he takes 25 shots a game. I would rather have Brandon take 10 good shots than just throwing it up like Kevin.