Thread: Chad Ford Chat - 11/10/10

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Chad Ford Chat - 11/10/10

http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/chat/_/id/35477

Colton (Indiana)

I think the Pacers could be a surprise team out of the East this year...do you?

Chad Ford (1:21 PM)

Might be. They haven't played a very tough schedule and I'm still trying to figure out that 25 point loss to Philly ... but in the rest of their games, they've been good. Darren Collison, Roy Hibbert and Tyler Hansbrough all have PERs over 20. Danny Granger is playing well. I'm just not totally convinced they can win 40+ games in Jim O'Brien's system. When shots are falling (like they did in crazy fashion last night) they're very dangerous. But when they aren't ... ugh.

Jesse (Detroit)

I agree that the Pacers development will always be limited under O'Brien's coaching philosophy...do you see any potentially better available coaches out there if in case ownership did call it quits with O'Brien?
    Chad Ford (1:39 PM)

Mike Brown was an assistant in Indy before he left for Cleveland. He'd bring some toughness to the team that they lack. To me, he's the perfect fit for a young team like this.

__________________________________________________ _

Not a lot of info here, but I thought I would share anyway. I know we've thrown Mike Brown's name around here a few times to replace O'B.
    Passion. Pride. Patience. Pacers

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to BPump33 For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Chad Ford Chat - 11/10/10

mike brown baby lol. i agree we are limted with JOBs system if we have an off now shooting we will lose by 25 everytime. We need to really run thur Roy when he is hot(dont bench players when they are hot). Also more PnR is needed. Dc needs the ball in his hands more and we need him to make good decsions.

Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    mike brown baby lol. i agree we are limted with JOBs system if we have an off now shooting we will lose by 25 everytime. We need to really run thur Roy when he is hot(dont bench players when they are hot). Also more PnR is needed. Dc needs the ball in his hands more and we need him to make good decsions.
    Were you in Area 55 last night? I am pretty sure they showed you on the broadcast on FSN during the game.
    JOB is a silly man

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by jhondog28 View Post
    Were you in Area 55 last night? I am pretty sure they showed you on the broadcast on FSN during the game.
    yes i was like everynight. I watched the replay but didnt see me. but i was doing other things to so guess i just missed it. I saw my pants at the end of the game when they showed greenway84 lol

6. The Following User Says Thank You to pacer4ever For This Useful Post:

yes i was like everynight. I watched the replay but didnt see me. but i was doing other things to so guess i just missed it. I saw my pants at the end of the game when they showed greenway84 lol
    Yea they showed you while they were coming back from break. You were just talking to the guy next to you. I thought it was you but wasn't sure. By the way area 55 was coming in really good last night.
    JOB is a silly man

Mood

Mike Brown? Sign me up.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Day-V View Post
    Mike Brown? Sign me up.
    i wanted him to but got grilled on here. His offense sucks everyone says. I think the defense he would bring would really help and he would run a different offense than in clev. because no LBJ i say make the move.

I'd be happy if we hired Mike Brown as our next coach. I read/heard a lot of criticism for his bad and/or too simplistic offense, though, so be ready for that possibility.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    I'd be happy if we hired Mike Brown as our next coach. I read/heard a lot of criticism for his bad and/or too simplistic offense, though, so be ready for that possibility.
    i thoght his offense was good for the personal he had lol. (LBJ)

im sure he would change the offense if he came and coached us. Im sure the offense he ran in clevend was only because LBJ was there.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    We basically have somewhat athletic Players with high basketball IQs. Is a simplistic offense a good or bad thing for the makeup of our future core of DC/Granger/BRush/PG/Hansbrough/Hibbert/Posey/Lance/McBob/Inferno/AJ?

Would a Mike Brown type of offense work well for our Team?

All I ever saw of how his offense was run was when Lebron brought the ball up and everything flowed through him. Do we even know what type of offensive system that Mike Brown uses?
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

I agree with Chad Ford about how this team is hard to identify, then he says Mike Brown would fit in as the new coach, lol, and he's not sure if players will not excel under O'brien and his system. Sorry, I'm not a a typical pessimistic Pacer fan who's heart has been stabbed with every chance at glory, and been spoiled by a decade and a half of playoff appearances. Mike Brown is not the same coach as Jim O'brien period. Jim gets too much heat for his team being over-payed and under-talented. Jim's most glaring weakness his his rotations, but he's only making adjustments to find some sort of advantage due to the lack of talent. This season will be different if we can stay healthy, and we will see that in the win column. If Jim has done anything right it's developing players, and of course those players willingness to get better hasn't hurt his cause.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Noodle For This Useful Post:

i wanted him to but got grilled on here. His offense sucks everyone says. I think the defense he would bring would really help and he would run a different offense than in clev. because no LBJ i say make the move.
    We need better athletes all around to have HIS, I mean the Cavs of yester-years defense, and yes Mike Brown's offense sucks. Collison would be more statiscally impressive under Brown, which would make individual stat mongers happier. In the end, Brown's head would be called for in Indiana. Just like ole' Carlisle/O'brien.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Noodle For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by EmCeE View Post
    We need better athletes all around to have HIS, I mean the Cavs of yester-years defense, and yes Mike Brown's offense sucks. Collison would be more statiscally impressive under Brown, which would make individual stat mongers happier. In the end, Brown's head would be called for in Indiana. Just like ole' Carlisle/O'brien.
    Aside from Lebron, how superior do you feel the Cavs athleticism was compared to this current Pacers team? I'd argue that we have more athleticism throughout the roster than Cleveland had.

Quote Originally Posted by QuickRelease View Post
    Aside from Lebron, how superior do you feel the Cavs athleticism was compared to this current Pacers team? I'd argue that we have more athleticism throughout the roster than Cleveland had.
    Except we dont' have the most athletic player in the NBA.

Quote Originally Posted by QuickRelease View Post
    Aside from Lebron is a fair question. Although, you clearly can't ignore the fact that Lebron was a member of the team and played nearly 40 minutes every night, which has quite a substantial impact on it's own. It's about who plays the minutes and is a more complete player to get court time as well. Also, I admit complete talent matters equally as much as athletics.

Comparing them to the current team is a little different, for we don't know what we have yet. I'd argue to this point the team we have has played to that level at times already. As a team so far we have allowed 102.8 a game and .446 fg% so far, which is mediocre ranking us at 12th in the league so far. Keep in mind we play a faster tempo than Brown's teams, so FG% is the main focus here more so than points allowed.

I will use Mike Brown's best defensive team which went to the NBA finals and lost. A team that forced teams to shoot .431% and allowed 91.8 pts a game. I'll compare this 2008-09 Cavs team in comparison to our players at similar positions currently. Although, I was thinking about previous Pacer teams when I made the athletics comment. The teams that many have formed their opinion about O'brien as a defensive coach.

I'll keep the player comparisons as short as possible.

Mo Williams, Delonte West, Wally Szczerbiak and Daniel Gibson vs. Darren Collison, Dunleavy, Rush and TJ Ford at 1 and 2.

Advantage athletically: equal
    Advantage defensively: Cavs
    Gibson and Mo are both more physical and more talented defensively, while only by a slight advantage is Collison and Ford faster. Overall, Cavs win there in my opinion at point guard. Rush is the only bright spot here, and even Wally is a better defender than Mike. West was just as good at staying in front of his opponent as Rush. Although Rush is more physical, West is a far better theif.

Lebron and Pavlovic vs Granger and PG24.

Lebron is all I have to say about this. Moving on.

Varejao, Hickson vs McBob and Hansbrough

Althletics advantage: slight edge Cavs
    Advantage defensively: Cavs

Varejao is a better defender than both our guys, and Hickson is a better althlete and defender than Hansbrough. Though I will say McBob is equal to Hickson athletically, and more athletic than Varejao here. Cavs win again. Off topic, Hansbrough's offense and McBobs acrobatics make them a better overall combo.

Hibbert vs Zydrunas

Advantage Pacers all the way, but only up until this season was Roy a better post defender.

I would have done a better job, but need sleep. Overall, I find it hard to say that the combination of athletics and talent of that Cavs team isn't a formula for better defense comparitively to any of O'briens teams.

I'd be ok with Mike Brown, but how good is he really? I mean you take away LeBron, would he have still done a good job? I guess I just don't know much about him.

I'd take any Greg Pop assistant in a heart beat. I'm intrigued by Quin Snyder as well, coach of the NBADL Austin Torros (models himself after Greg Pop).
    Lance + Starting SG = Awesome

Now really free Lance!

The two biggest criticisms of Mike Brown: Simplisitic offense and he was slow to make adjustments in playoff series.

He would improve our defense.

Mike would be a good condidate, but probably won't be my first choice. but would be top 3

Colton from Indiana is my brother........

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    The two biggest criticisms of Mike Brown: Simplisitic offense and he was slow to make adjustments in playoff series.

He would improve our defense.

Mike would be a good condidate, but probably won't be my first choice. but would be top 3
    Yeah his defense is really good, his offense is base in iso's(at least with lebron there) I'm not sure about players feeling respect for him either.

Mood

I know players really liked him when he was here, He did most of the player relations stuff that Carlisle wasn't good at.