Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jazz, Pacers Score Improbable Feats

Pacers 4 Life.31 and only Pacers4Life's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Jazz, Pacers Score Improbable Feats

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/insid...PERDiem-101110Jazz, Pacers score improbable feats

PER Diem, Nov. 10, 2010: Offensive explosions make Tuesday a night to remember

As amazing as the Jazz-Heat game was, it's only the second-most impressive feat that took place Tuesday night.

Top billing goes to the Indiana Pacers. Hosting a good Denver team, they exploded for 54 points in the third quarter -- briefly threatening the record for points in a quarter (58) held by the 1972-73 Buffalo Braves. (A fact, incidentally, that virtually assures a gratuitous Buffalo shout-out in Marc Stein's Weekend Dime).

Indiana was 20-for-20 in the third quarter before Josh McRoberts missed a 3-pointer at the buzzer. Indiana had only one turnover in the period, and its nine free throw attempts used only two possessions -- two free throws came on a flagrant foul, one on a technical foul, and the other six on 3-point fouls against Mike "Michael" Dunleavy.

Thus, the Pacers' 54-point explosion came on only 24 possessions ... for an offensive efficiency rating of 225.00. That's more than two points a trip -- so dunks and layups were bringing down the average.

Indy's quarter was only the fourth-most in history. But once you adjust for pace between eras, this was the most impressive performance in history. Every other high-scoring quarter happened in the NBA's "live-ball era" prior to 1990, when extra possessions made it easier to put up eye-popping scoring numbers. While the Pacers are a fast-paced team for the current era, they played the third quarter at a fairly casual 96-possession pace.

Wait, there's more:

• Of the 20 shots, eight were 3-pointers, including five by Dunleavy. Based on the shooters' career stats, the odds of Indy making eight consecutively were 2,818-to-1. The Dunleavy hot streak alone was hugely unlikely -- his odds of making five straight 3s were 175-to-1.

• Dunleavy scored 24 points in the quarter on seven shots and six free throw attempts, for a true shooting percentage of 124.5.

• The Pacers could have scored more but they gagged on three free throws. Dunleavy missed one of his six tries, and McRoberts missed both freebies after absorbing a flagrant foul from Al Harrington.
    • If you take away the third quarter, Indiana still shot 53 percent.

• Entering the game, Indiana's 41.7 percent shooting mark ranked 27th in the NBA. This morning they're up to 15th.

• According to the Elias Sports Bureau, there have been 396 quarters played this season, and the two teams combined to score fewer than 54 points in 273 of them, or 68.9 percent.

Yet all of that pales beside the one jaw-dropping stat that tops them all. The Pacers made 20 straight shots in the third quarter, and I'm not sure people appreciate how remarkably unusual that was.

Using Indiana's 45.7 percent mark on the season, the probability of their making 20 straight shots is ... 1-in-6,333,970.

Calling it "unlikely" is the understatement of the century. In all probability, you'll never see anything like this again, ever ... and your children, grandchildren and several generations of descendants won't, either.

NBA teams play 328 quarters a season, meaning 9,720 quarters leaguewide. So if the league stays at or near a 30-team alignment, you would have to watch every quarter of every game for about 643 years, on average, before again seeing a team rip off 20 straight made shots to start a period. If you were one of the 11,122 people in Conseco Fieldhouse Tuesday night, consider yourself lucky. (I was THERE!!!!!)

Thus, as improbable as Utah's rally was in Miami (only the fourth time in the past seven years that a team came from 20 down on the road in the second half, according Elias), it pales beside the Pacers' unprecedented eruption against the Nuggets. We'll see other unlikely shooters get hot this season, and we'll see more unexpected comebacks.

But 20 straight shots? You ain't ever seeing that again.
    Last edited by Pacers4Life; 11-10-2010 at 02:12 PM. Reason: ???
    Reggie Miller is a God. Period.

Passion. Pride. Pacers.

It's ALWAYS Miller Time.
    #31 & Only

2. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Pacers4Life For This Useful Post:

Banned

Default Re: Jazz, Pacers Score Improbable Feats

Calling it "unlikely" is the understatement of the century. In all probability, you'll never see anything like this again, ever ... and your children, grandchildren and several generations of descendants won't, either.

Damn

my friend who was in attendance with me was kind enough to share this with me and I think theres something about "giving thanks" or something going on lately... So consider this my gift quite literally of "thanks."

Yesterday was one of the greatest things I think I will ever see in person and the most coverage we'll get ALL YEAR on SportsCenter. WE HAD 3 TOP 10 PLAYS!!
    #9 JMac with the SWAT
    #4 BRush says "I'll take that.." with the unplanned alley-oop to...himself.
    #2 Umm did you read the article?
    So great to see us with some good coverage... its been far too long

Passion. Pride. Pacers.

It's ALWAYS Miller Time.
    #31 & Only

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Pacers4Life For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'm honored it was the Pacers.

I think we might be on to something.

Sports Logo

Someone should upload the game online so we can download it and remember it forever.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuq_e_Zi91 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Someone should upload the game online so we can download it and remember it forever.
    I'm sure those that went to the home opener that didn't go to that game must be mad, but it was a Tuesday night and most teams don't have big crowds during the week.

I'm expecting a big crowd Friday night.

This is a game I will never forget.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Trophy For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Pacers4Life View Post

no link!

So what? I need to put the link? Cuz I will....
    IF ANYONE WANTS IT I HAVE IT SAVED IN A WORD DOCUMENT FOREVER AND WILL GLADLY EMAIL OR SOMETHING TO YOU. PM ME
    You have to have the link because of federal law. Read the Rules of the board.

Unless you're the author.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Kuq_e_Zi91 View Post

the link is to Hollinger at espn (insider only):

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/insid...PERDiem-101110
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

Banned

What other improbable moments can you remember like this?

The only one that comes to mind for me was the night the Pacers more than doubled the score of the Portland Trailblazers by winning 124-59. It was a similar type night, when everything was going right for the Blue and Gold and everything was going wrong for Portland. (Note that the coach of the Blazers was none other than Mike Dunleavey Sr.)

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/bas....portland.html

INDIANA 124, PORTLAND 59
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Indiana Pacers posted the second-most decisive victory in NBA history, pasting the Portland Trail Blazers, 124-59, as Mark Jackson led eight players in double figures with 18 points.

The Pacers hit 49-of-77 shots (64 percent) in their biggest victory ever, falling three points short of the NBA record, a 148-80 rout by the Cleveland Cavaliers over the Miami Heat on December 17th, 1991.

"It is just what we needed," said Jackson. "We all played well. The ball movement was crisp and the defense was great. We must really be ready to come out and play Sunday (against Denver)."

Travis Best, who finished with 10 points, capped the Pacers' best scoring effort of the season and gave them the final margin of victory with two free throws with 34 seconds left.

"Our main focus was to come in and establish ourselves," said Portland coach Mike Dunleavy. "We wanted to be prepared, but we weren't. The calls went their way because they were the aggressor and they went up big. I saw what was happening so I sat our main guys so that we could prevent injury."

Portland scored 14 points in the first and third quarters, 15 in the second and 16 in the final period in suffering the worst defeat in club history. The Trail Blazers also shattered their previous low in points, achieved on January 13th in a 76-68 loss to Miami.

The Blazers, fresh off a 106-101 victory over the Chicago Bulls at the United Center on Wednesday, matched the NBA's second-lowest point total ever. They were two points off the all-time low.

"There wasn't a letdown, they just played well" said Rasheed Wallace, who led Portland with 14 points. "Things just didn't go right for us. They came out of the gate fast and hit a lot of shots. We tried to make a run, but the score was too phenomenal."

Indiana put it away early, ripping off a 16-0 run to take an 18-2 lead midway through the first period. Rik Smits had eight points and the Pacers held the Blazers scoreless for more than 6 1/2 minutes during the burst.

"It was a tremendous game from us from start to finish," said Smits. "We thought they would be on a high by beating Chicago and I knew we had to be ready. I think we were ready."

Leading 33-14 after one quarter, the Pacers kept the pressure up, pulling away with a 14-0 spurt. Indiana shot 59 percent (25-of-42) in the first half and held a 59-29 cushion at the break before padding its lead to 84-43 after three quarters.

Portland made just 12 shots on 34 attempts in the opening half. Five of those baskets were made by Isaiah Rider, who scored all of his 11 points in the first half.

"It all started with the defense in the first half," claimed Indiana coach Larry Bird. "I don't think we've played defense any better than that. Tonight we played about as well as we could. I don't care who we would have played tonight, we would have won."

Jalen Rose finished with 13 points, eight assists and seven rebounds to lead a huge bench effort. All 12 players scored for Indiana, which got eight points on 4-of-4 shooting by seldom-used rookie Austin Croshere.

No starter played more than 29 minutes for the Pacers. Smits and Dale Davis each scored 12 points, Reggie Miller 11 and Chris Mullin contributed 10. The Pacers were strong defensively, limiting Portland to 33 percent (24-of-72) shooting.

Smits added 12 rebounds as Indiana enjoyed a 48-28 rebounding edge. The Pacers abused the Blazers inside, outscoring them 56-26 in the paint. Indiana was on target from long range as well, draining 9-of-15 three-pointers. Jackson, who dished out seven assists, stroked 4-of-5 shots from behind the arc.

Even with nobody covering them, the Blazers were unable to shoot accurately. Portland was just 8-of-19 from the line, and were dismal from long range, hitting just 3-of-17 three-pointers.

"We just have to come back and play hard against Boston," said Portland's Damon Stoudamire. "I lost a lot in Toronto, but I don't know if I ever lost like this."

The Trail Blazers play the final game of their three-game road swing Sunday against the Celtics.

Sports Logo

Sorry, I should have clarified. I meant the entire game.

I remember someone was kind enough to do that for a couple of Reggie's memorable games.

"Lamar Odom's Taking on the IRS" has as many comments as this thread... and 100 less viewws. I think a lot of you are just super bummed you wrren't there. This was one of the greatest articles ever. fascinating. entertaining. and relevant to the Pacers. whatever yo

Passion. Pride. Pacers.

It's ALWAYS Miller Time.
    #31 & Only

Glad I was there, and in pretty good seats in section 6, thanks to my girlfriend's early Christmas gift. Looks like she picked a good game.

The Jazz was an interesting game last night. I enjoyed watching the outcome. After starting out the season with losses, the Jazz have come back strong. What makes that impressive is for 3 games in a row, including last nights game, the Jazz have been down by 18 points or more and have come back to win the game. This in itself is a great feat, but upon looking at the Jazz's bench players makes it an even greater feat. They have a gosh aweful terrible bench.

Quote Originally Posted by smj887 View Post
    Glad I was there, and in pretty good seats in section 6, thanks to my girlfriend's early Christmas gift. Looks like she picked a good game.
    So did you have to put up to the ANNOYING woman in nuggets gear yelling the whole game? "CARMELO, can you sign my hat!?"
    "PUT IN CARMELO!!"
    "YEAAA DENVER, WE'RE ONLY DOWN 31, C'MON!"

Kind of surprised this story isn't blowing up the board, JOB threads seem to generate way more discussion. This was an amazing game, and will likely be one of the most memorable things that happened this season.

Now, obviously this wonít happen every night, but this was really encouraging to see. It was an absolute microcosm of everything that can go right with this team. Iím very proud to be a Pacers fan, but even more after seeing the performance those guys gave for that game.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Hitman02 View Post
    Kind of surprised this story isn't blowing up the board, JOB threads seem to generate way more discussion. This was an amazing game, and will likely be one of the most memorable things that happened this season.

Now, obviously this won’t happen every night, but this was really encouraging to see. It was an absolute microcosm of everything that can go right with this team. I’m very proud to be a Pacers fan, but even more after seeing the performance those guys gave for that game.
    1 gm means very little in a season

Banned

Now, obviously this wonít happen every night, but this was really encouraging to see. It was an absolute microcosm of everything that can go right with this team. Iím very proud to be a Pacers fan, but even more after seeing the performance those guys gave for that game.
    We are learning our lesson, nobody wants to get too high on the team, the higher you go the further the fall is going to be.

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

I think most people commented on the game in the postgame thread, which is 9 pages.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

25. The Following User Says Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

does anybody have this game? I unfortunately was not able to watch it

^^ I mean maybe. But this wqas of historic proportions. I think we can be a little excited about it. SHOULD be a little excited about it. We had SportsCenter buzzzzzzinggg about us for a day. We got mentioned in the Jazz game LAST night. This was an amazing thing to happen to us and maybe we'll look back on this and see that this was the turning point...

Passion. Pride. Pacers.

It's ALWAYS Miller Time.
    #31 & Only

Chairman of the Boards 90'sNBARocked's Avatar

I think Tuesdays game absoltuely summarizes JOB "system"

When firing on all cyclinders we can be unbeatable (hiting all our jump shots)
    When the jump shots are not falling, we can get blown out by a Sixer squad comming off a back to back

I think that we will see more or the same ups and down this season, kind of a all or nothing system

The main problem I see is that when our jumpers are not falling we really have no one who can get his own shot (possibly Colison and Ford), thus we get blown out
    Sittin on top of the world!

The game thread was going nuts when it happened and there was a lot of talk in the post-game thread.

To be honest, its not like you can mine this for a lot of thoughtful observations, comments, and extrapolations. I think most people don't have much more to say about this than "Holy ****, that was awesome!" I guess you could throw a bunch of adjectives in there...

If that feat does not excite you then you need to take your pulse. That was one of the
    most if not the most incredible shooting exhibitions I have ever witnessed. For the number of players involved in the streak and the type of shots taken you will never see that again.
    I was watching the game the second time around due to work and I was waiting from someone to miss and they never did. I am really surprised noone thought to just forget the
    last shot. JOB should have called a timeout or told just one player on the floor.
    Incredible. I would love to have a tape of that game for the archives.
    Maybe we can get them to play the game again.
    {o,o}
    |)__)
    -"-"-