Thread: The Bucks are going to trademark "Fear the Deer"

Default The Bucks are going to trademark "Fear the Deer"

I think its a cool idea and it made me think what the Pacers could trademark if anything.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/107320653.html

Fear the Deer, the NBA and the law
    By Don Walker of the Journal Sentinel

Nov. 12, 2010 |(6) Comments

The catchphrase "Fear the Deer," has been hugely popular for the Milwaukee Bucks and its fans since it emerged last season.

The slogan is thought to have originated with ESPN's Scott Van Pelt on a SportsCenter broadcast, but other versions of how it came to be have surfaced. In any event, the phrase has become a hashtag on Twitter, gets mentioned often on Facebook and generally is the go-to rallying cry for Bucks fans.

The NBA and the Milwaukee Bucks have taken notice, too. Late last season, the NBA, at the request of the Bucks, filed for trademark rights with the U.S. Patent Office. This is routine, according to Mike Bass, senior vice president for marketing and communications at the NBA. Other teams have made similar requests.

That application is pending, Bass said.

Having taken that step, Bass said no one can use the phrase for commercial purposes without the permission of the Bucks and the NBA. If they did, it would be infringing on trademark rights, he said.

Default Re: The Bucks are going to trademark "Fear the Deer"

3. The Following User Says Thank You to ballism For This Useful Post:

Banned

"Having taken that step, Bass said no one can use the phrase for commercial purposes without the permission of the Bucks and the NBA. If they did, it would be infringing on trademark rights, he said."

I hate this BS with a passion. *****ing ridiculous that anyone can patent WORDS or THINGS THAT EXIST in the universe.
    Example: Cord Gluten is by product of processing corn. A throw away item mostly, sometimes used in animal feeds (the bottom of the barrel in useage)
    You used to be able to get it for $5 for 50lbs to feed your fish and such.
    Then someone figured out that where they had it piled up, weeds didn't grow there.
    It doesn't kill anything, but keeps seeds from germinating. So now it is used by some on lawns to keep weed seeds from germinating and it has some minimal fertilization purpose.

So some company patents the useage of corn gluten and now you have to pay a royalty to that company to use corn gluten, no matter what you want to do with it. ($10 a bag or so)
    Even if you want it to feed fish in your pond, you pay the royalty all because they filled out some paperwork and paid the fees.
    THere is SO much of that in this country, people creating fees and $$ without actually DOING ANYTHING.
    (can you tell this peeves me?)

woman without a team

So who do I ask so I can keep "Fear the Deer" under my name?

Quote Originally Posted by MLB007 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    "Having taken that step, Bass said no one can use the phrase for commercial purposes without the permission of the Bucks and the NBA. If they did, it would be infringing on trademark rights, he said."

I hate this BS with a passion. *****ing ridiculous that anyone can patent WORDS or THINGS THAT EXIST in the universe.
    Example: Cord Gluten is by product of processing corn. A throw away item mostly, sometimes used in animal feeds (the bottom of the barrel in useage)
    You used to be able to get it for $5 for 50lbs to feed your fish and such.
    Then someone figured out that where they had it piled up, weeds didn't grow there.
    It doesn't kill anything, but keeps seeds from germinating. So now it is used by some on lawns to keep weed seeds from germinating and it has some minimal fertilization purpose.

So some company patents the useage of corn gluten and now you have to pay a royalty to that company to use corn gluten, no matter what you want to do with it. ($10 a bag or so)
    Even if you want it to feed fish in your pond, you pay the royalty all because they filled out some paperwork and paid the fees.
    THere is SO much of that in this country, people creating fees and $$ without actually DOING ANYTHING.
    (can you tell this peeves me?)
    While I agree with the opinion expressed about the patent system, the Bucks are only registering a trademark and it's a lot more "fair" than a general patent. It's become a phrase that people associate with the Bucks. Really all this is going to do is keep 3rd parties from doing things like selling merchandise with the phrase. It's not as if no one can use the phrase Fear the Deer now, they just can't do it in a way that might have association with the Bucks.

Quote Originally Posted by smj887 View Post
    While I agree with the opinion expressed about the patent system, the Bucks are only registering a trademark and it's a lot more "fair" than a general patent. It's become a phrase that people associate with the Bucks. Really all this is going to do is keep 3rd parties from doing things like selling merchandise with the phrase. It's not as if no one can use the phrase Fear the Deer now, they just can't do it in a way that might have association with the Bucks.
    Yep, all this really does is prevent imitation Bucks gear or knock off t-shirts and stuff. It is somewhat unfortunate as we had a lot of local companies last year start making some cool looking Fear the Deer slogan t-shirts at the end of last year and in the playoffs but I understand why the Bucks wanted to do this.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I believe Slick copyrighted "Boom Baby!" Not 100% sure, though.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Day-V For This Useful Post:

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by smj887 View Post
    You're right of course, similar but different.
    At least this one is associated with the team in question.
    Pat Riley owning the rights to "Threepeat" is totally crap.
    Purdue couldn't use it when they won 3 straight Big 10 titles without paying Pay Riley royalties.
    That's BS.

I wouldn't mind us marketing 'Boom, baby!' the same way, if the rights are available. Great catchphrase with some actual history behind it. Would easily work imo if it was marketed the same way.

woman without a team

I don't know if Slick owns the copyright, but I think Reggie asked him if he could use it for his production company.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to grace For This Useful Post:

Banned

I am trademarking all vowels in the English language.. If you want to use them you have to pay meeeeee!

Quote Originally Posted by Psycho T View Post
    I am trademarking all vowels in the English language.. If you want to use them you have to pay meeeeee!
    y'll nvr gt my mny sshl !

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by dal9 View Post
    y'll nvr gt my mny sshl !
    Y is a vowel (sometimes).