Thread: Cavs assistant coach DEAD at age 41

Dream Big

Default Cavs assistant coach DEAD at age 41

CLEVELAND (AP) - Cleveland Cavaliers assistant coach Mark Osowski has died after he was stricken with pancreatitis. He was 41.

He died Sunday at the Cleveland Clinic, the Cavaliers announced Monday, and had been hospitalized for some time.

``This is a tragic loss for all of us,'' said Jim Paxson, Cavaliers president and general manager. ``Mark lived life to the fullest and he worked passionately every day. He was such a vibrant and dynamic person to be around. I respected him greatly, as did our entire organization. He will be missed very much.''

Pancreatitis is an inflammation of the pancreas, a gland behind the stomach that secretes digestive enzymes into the small intestine.

Osowski had 20 years of coaching experience. He began his NBA career in 1996 as an assistant coach with the Charlotte Hornets. Osowski and Cavaliers coach Paul Silas worked as assistants in Charlotte from 1997-99 under Dave Cowens.

Osowski remained on the coaching staff when Silas was promoted to head coach midway through the 1998-99 season and continued as an assistant during Silas' first full season as Hornets coach in 1999-2000.

He then coached for three seasons with the Golden State Warriors before joining Silas' staff in Cleveland.

``Mark had a very positive impact on the players and staff alike,'' Silas said. ``He touched all of us every day with his charisma and sense of humor. He was a wonderful friend and one of the hardest working people I've ever worked with.''

He is survived by his wife Kristin-Ann. Funeral arrangements are not complete.

Default Re: Cavs assistant coach DEAD at age 41

That's sad man. 41 is too young.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

Zesty

Yikes. My best friend's father died in his sleep of a heart attack at the same age. Pretty alarming.

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

OT: Now is probably not an approrpiate time to link up Heywood Bank's Pancreas Song, is it?

In all seriousness, my St. Bernard was hospitalized and in intensive care for a week last winter because of Pancreatitis. The article says Mr. Osowski had been hospitalized for "some time".

From what I know about this, it is extremely painful for dogs, humans, or anyone that gets it.

(Barney survived, it turned out he had eaten a tube sock that had been thrown over the fence, and when that got stuck in his intestine, his pancreas malfunctioned. Once it passed, he began recuperating.)
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

When I was going thru gallbaldder trouble several years ago, I was told that pancreatitis is often mis-diagnosed as gallbladder. Also that a rare few who have had the gb trouble eventually have pancreatitis. From what i'm told, the pain is similar to gb bt much more intense. That is had to imagine. My feelings to anyone who has experienced it.
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..