Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My Scottie Pippen appreciation thread ...

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default My Scottie Pippen appreciation thread ...

This idea came to me as I've still seen people comparing Pippen to Granger. It's very disturbing to me. Maybe time has erased a little of my memory of Pippen, so anyone old enough to have seen his career, correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't recall a single flaw in his game. Many, many times I'd watch a Bulls game and leave the game thinking Pippen was a more complete player than Michael Jordan. Not a better player, mind you.

Pippen could have been an All Star at PG, SG, SF, or PF. He would have excelled in any game plan or under any coach. His instincts, athleticism and size was an unstoppable combination. He was going to have an impact on the game, you just never knew how. Whether it was shutting down Mark Jackson at PG, or giving Barkley fits at PF .... it didn't seem to matter. If that failed, he could easily hand out 10 assists, control the boards, or score 30 points on you. He also had a killer instinct.

Anyway, for the 2nd post in this thread I'm going to post some video's by a Scottie Pippen freak (obviously) out there. These video's are separated by his defensive abilities, and what he could do on offense.

I'm not usually a huge fan of "highlight videos", but in this case for the purpose of making the difference between Pippen and Granger clear to those who haven't seen Pippen play (obviously, or you wouldn't compare), just watch the ball handling ability, and passing ability Pippen displays in these video's and ask yourself if you can ever see Granger making those plays, because I simply cannot. Then watch the defense and ask yourself the same question, because again, I don't think he's capable. That's not a knock on Granger so much, because well, most players who've worn an NBA jersey ... can't.

Default Re: My Scottie Pippen appreciation thread ...

3. The Following User Says Thank You to xBulletproof For This Useful Post:

Comparing Granger to Scottie Pippen is like comparing a McRib to a fillet mignon at a fine steak house. They don't even deserve to be in the same conversation.

I lived in Chicago during the second three-peat of the Bulls so got to see plenty of them and he was better in every single facet of the game, some of them significantly so(defense).

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to chuckleslove For This Useful Post:

Whoa its a double post! WHAT DOES IT MEAN?!
    Last edited by chuckleslove; 11-08-2010 at 10:33 AM. Reason: double post

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chuckleslove For This Useful Post:

Wow, here's a new one, I'd never seen this video from the guy before. Whoever this guy is on YouTube, he's done Pippen justice.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to xBulletproof For This Useful Post:

I think he's probably the best defender I've ever seen play. He was great on the ball, but probably the best double teamer ever. he was also extremely smart defensively

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

Banned

Pippen is a top 50 all time player, comparing him to Danny is like comparing aples to oranges(don't do it Putman )

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think he's probably the best defender I've ever seen play. He was great on the ball, but probably the best double teamer ever. he was also extremely smart defensively
    Agreed. Anytime I watched him play, I don't think I ever went away thinking he didn't impact the game defensively. Maybe a couple times, but it was extremely rare.

If nothing else, these video's are just fun to watch, because they show some of his work that didn't always involve a block or steal. Just how well he stayed in front of his man. Some of the things that you don't usually see in these video's.

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    Pippen is a top 50 all time player
    Tis true, but I think because he spent most of his career under Michael Jordans shadow, he may be the most underrated of that group.

Banned

I think that Jordan was need it on Pippen's life, he brought the best out of him in practice, he got under his skin when he made mistakes and because of that There is not way to know how good he could have been in another team.

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    There is not way to know how good he could have been in another team.
    True. But he did get to Game 7 of the WCF without Jordan, farther than Jordan ever got without him. Granted on a way better team than Jordan's Wizards, but still worth noting.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Beautiful. Thanks for digging these up!
    "Freedom is nothing else but a chance to be better." - Albert Camus

"Appreciation is a wonderful thing. It makes what is excellent in others belong to us as well." - Voltaire

Michael Pina, Red94: "There are so many different ways the Pacers can beat you. They have an All-Star scoring threat, imposing figures on the front line, steady point guard play, and most importantly, a defense that'll choke the life out of just about every offense that crosses its path."

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I don't think the Granger/Pippen comparison is meant too literally... I doubt anyone here thinks Danny on his best day is anywhere near to being at Pippen's level. I think we are collectively using "Pippen" as a term similar to "Robin," meaning that we want to pair Danny with someone who can truly lead this team statistically and in the locker room. Danny's not that guy (and I'd argue that Pippen, while undoubtably one of the handful of best players I've ever seen period, isn't that guy either). So we're looking for "Jordan" or "Batman" but both in a figurative sense.

I loved the videos though... I absolutely hate the grief Scottie gets for supposedly never being an elite player. You could make a really strong argument that the Bulls had possibly the two best players in the league when Scottie and Jordan were in their primes.

Bill Simmons' The Book of Basketball has a brilliant writeup on Pippen (I believe ranking him around the 23rd best player on his Pyramid). I recommend it for anyone who has doubts of Pippen's greatness.

I think any doubts of Pippens greatness should be cut off by simply pointing out that when Jordan retired to play baseball, the Bulls lost only 2 more games than they did the year before with Jordan.

That was Pippen.
    Last edited by xBulletproof; 11-08-2010 at 01:09 PM.

granger isn't even close to pippen's level and in my opinion, pippen is overrated. i'd claim reggie is a better player honestly.

I don't think the comparisons between Pippen and Granger are meaning to say that Granger is almost as good as Pip. I think the comparisons are to say that Granger's game (at least initially) was modeled after Pippen's game. Tough, hard-nosed defender who could guard multiple positions.

As it's turned out, Granger isn't that interested in being a great defender, and certainly hasn't been able to bring it at both ends like Pippen did.

For a different angle, I know you've heard Paul George being compared to Tracy McGrady already on draft night. Well, they're not saying that PG is as good as T-Mac, they're saying they have similar frames and play a similar style. That's really all these comparisons are good for, is establishing who's style you emulate.

Quote Originally Posted by croz24 View Post
    granger isn't even close to pippen's level and in my opinion, pippen is overrated. i'd claim reggie is a better player honestly.

Quote Originally Posted by Eindar View Post
    For a different angle, I know you've heard Paul George being compared to Tracy McGrady already on draft night. Well, they're not saying that PG is as good as T-Mac, they're saying they have similar frames and play a similar style. That's really all these comparisons are good for, is establishing who's style you emulate.
    You're correct, but it doesn't change the point. Granger doesn't emulate Pippens style anymore than ..... Collison. Coming out of college I'd say it was a fair comparison based on what he could be. It's clear at this point he isn't, and never will be. Compare him to Glen Rice. That's much closer.

I never argued with the comparison in the beginning, but at this point it's a pretty silly one.

I hope Paul George is studying those Pippen highlight vids.

I'm not saying PG will have the career Pippen had, but their bodies are very similar and PG could learn a lot about how to utilize his length by watching how active Pippen was on D and the way he played the passing lanes.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Come on now, that is just ridiculous...

24. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to spreedom For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by spreedom View Post
    Come on now, that is just ridiculous...
    reggie didn't have nearly the supporting cast and yet as the true leader of his team, reggie accomplished more. the moment pippen left chicago, he became very mediocre.

reggie didn't have nearly the supporting cast and yet as the true leader of his team, reggie accomplished more. the moment pippen left chicago, he became very mediocre.
    Pippen left Chicago at age 33. Of course he became mediocre.

Just stop, seriously.

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    Just stop, seriously.
    horace grant was better than anything reggie had as a number 2 option in '93-94. that year the bulls made it to the semis, the pacers 1 game from the finals. the pacers and bulls rosters in '93-94 were very similar across the board yet who's team made it farther in the postseason? since this is a message board, why not instead of just calling opinions ridiculous, state your own. as for the age, at 35 reggie was averaging 19ppg while leading the pacers to the nba finals against the lakers while pippen's blazers were getting swept in round 1.

give reggie a sidekick as good as pippen and all of a sudden the pacers have multiple rings. fact is, reggie was the only star on those pacers teams and was still able to lead or help lead the pacers to 7 ecf and a finals appearance. reggie was a better leader and sustained his greatness for a much longer period of time. yes, it can argued that reggie was better than pippen.

yes, it can argued that reggie was better than pippen.
    Not rationally. Look, I love Reggie as much as the next guy, but even I am not delusional enough to think that he was a better player than Pippen. If you watched any basketball in the 90s, this is a no contest.

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    Not rationally. Look, I love Reggie as much as the next guy, but even I am not delusional enough to think that he was a better player than Pippen. If you watched any basketball in the 90s, this is a no contest.
    yes, rationally it can when you consider the fact that pippen had jordan and reggie had...........rik smits? and then when you take mj out of the equation, reggie's teams performed better.

yes, rationally it can when you consider the fact that pippen had jordan and reggie had...........rik smits? and then when you take mj out of the equation, reggie's teams performed better.
    More valuable to his franchise...you absolutely have an argument. As a better player, I really don't think so.

33. The Following User Says Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post: