Thread: Jason Williams to Heat?

Default Jason Williams to Heat?

The Memphis Grizzlies' Jason Williams is a Central Florida neighbor to the Miami Heat's Shaquille O'Neal. However, the Heat are thought to be considering a trade that could make the two teammates, according to the Orlando Sentinel.

The newspaper reported the Heat — at O'Neal's request — are considering trading Eddie Jones and either Damon Jones or Keyon Dooling to Memphis in exchange for the enigmatic Williams and possibly forward James Posey.

The acquisition of Williams could allow the Heat to use Dwyane Wade at shooting guard as opposed to point guard, where he played last season as a rookie.

Williams seemed to tone down his flashy play under veteran coach Hubie Brown this past season. However, his playmaking skills, matched with O'Neal's dominance beneath the basket and Wade on the wing could make the Heat a very enjoyable team to watch.

O'Neal joined the Heat in a July 14 trade that sent Lamar Odom, Caron Butler, Brian Grant and a first-round pick to the Lakers.

O'Neal led the Lakers to three NBA championships in five seasons and was named the league's MVP for the 2000 season.

You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

Default Re: Jason Williams to Heat?

RimBender

J Dub is one of my favorite players!

I love seeing him play for the Griz, my second favorite team.

Oh well, maybe its better off for him.

My first reaction was this would be a good deal, but the more I think about it...

Williams has shaped up into a decent point, but he's still best in the open floor. Wade and JWill sure is an intriguing tandem in the full court, but even with a revitalized Shaq, I don't see him fitting well with them. Plus, while they are both clutch shooters, they're not exactly dependable from long range. Jones' shooting is imperative with Shaq down low. Without Eddie, you're going to have guys like Rasual and Jason jacking up a lot of bricks from behind the stripe.

On the other hand, it sure would be nice to get rid of Jones' contract. And they did sign little Person, so maybe he'd make up the difference.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Joel

There is no way the Grizz make this trade. I know J-will's contract isn't that great, but Eddie Jones?? C'mon now.

Formerly PacerFanInAZ Cactus Jax's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

There's NO way the Grizz do this. Getting Williams for Jones is a joke as it is, but getting Williams AND Posey, lol, that's just some guy's fantasy.
    "It's just unfortunate that we've been penalized so much this year and nothing has happened to the Pistons, the Palace or the city of Detroit," he said. "It's almost like it's always our fault. The league knows it. They should be ashamed of themselves to let the security be as lax as it is around here."

----------------- Reggie Miller

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I think there is some serious underestimating of Eddie Jones on here. He may be overpaid, but he's still a heck of a ball player at both ends of the court.

Sure, Jason Williams has settled down, but even at his best, he's not in Eddie Jones' league.

If I recall correctly, Jerry West was always a big fan of Eddie Jones.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Yeah, I'm trying to see how that would work. What's the status of Dickerson's contract? Maybe Jones/pick for Williams/Dickerson?

Still seems like Memphis comes out ahead...
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Jay@Section222
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think there is some serious underestimating of Eddie Jones on here. He may be overpaid, but he's still a heck of a ball player at both ends of the court.

Sure, Jason Williams has settled down, but even at his best, he's not in Eddie Jones' league.

If I recall correctly, Jerry West was always a big fan of Eddie Jones.
    You've got to be kiddin' Jones is not in Jason William's league. Williams has turned into a fine PG, Jones is on his way down and has always been overrated IMO.
    "Just look at the flowers ........ BANG"

Formerly PacerFanInAZ Cactus Jax's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Jason Williams is a top 10 PG, and is still in his rising years in the NBA while Jones would barely start on the Grizz.

Yes J-Will is a little crazy, but Eddie Jones is a mediocre player at best and has an ENORMOUS contract.
    "It's just unfortunate that we've been penalized so much this year and nothing has happened to the Pistons, the Palace or the city of Detroit," he said. "It's almost like it's always our fault. The league knows it. They should be ashamed of themselves to let the security be as lax as it is around here."

----------------- Reggie Miller

Id rather have Posey than Eddie Jones. Better defender and growing into a solid outside shooter/scorer.

That trade would catapult Miami to being the favorites to win the championship in my opinion.

Uh, do you guys realize you're talking about Miami's leading scorer last year. Not Odom, not Wade, but Jones. And he's still a very credible defender at his age.

Be prepared to be eating your words come this season. As I said after the trade, Shaq's gonna do wonders for Eddie's game.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Memphis would get ripped off in this deal, the only way I think they'd do it is if it was a 3-way getting them a big man. But this would make Miami really scary

Williams/Wade/Posey/Allen/O'neal

Might as well hand them the trophy with that lineup.

Joel

J-Will and Wade running together on the break would be an awesome sight to see.

Quote Originally Posted by Joel
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    J-Will and Wade running together on the break would be an awesome sight to see.

That'd be one scary combo.

I wouldn't consider Williams a top ten pg though he isn't a liability for sure. He's basically turned into Eric Snow, though a little better on the break and a little worse in the half court.

West has been protecting everyone he's got so he can ship 2, 3, or 4 of them off for any type of legitamate big man. Besides, Posey shoots better from the 3 and overall then Jones, he just doesn't get the points or the minutes because Memphis rotates half the cheerleaders into their line-up every night.

If Shaq lived next to Peja, there would be a story about how Peja would be the next member of the Miami Heat.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I think West has always been a big fan of Jones, he drafted him 10 years ago, that was a solid pick.

That 1994-1995 Lakers team was cool. Ceballos, Jones, Van Exel, Divac, Elden Campbell. They had a great year, and upset the Sonics in the first round of the playoffs.

West only traded Jones when he was basically forced to because of the emergence of Kobe.