Thread: Portland Trail Blazers' Fabricio Oberto announces retirement

Southern Indiana; not far from Louisville, KY

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Portland Trail Blazers' Fabricio Oberto announces retirement

This came as surprising to me as he just did sign a contract with Portland a week or two ago, but Fabricio Oberto has just announced his retirement from basketball. Apparently he has had heart problems and he is still having the same problems, so he is now calling it quits. I don't blame him as you have to keep your health your #1 priority in my opinion, and his health is definitely more important than playing basketball games. Hopefully his health conditions get lined out soon.

By the way, I believe he first officially announced it on his Twitter page, but don't quote me on that as it may have been leaked to the media beforehand.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to ChristianDudley For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Portland Trail Blazers' Fabricio Oberto announces retirement

That's terrible... I mean I was joking he'll be the next big man to go in Portland but this is not what I thought would happen either.

Yeah I know, it is very unfortunate. But all of the accomplishments in his career are crazy--all of the championships, leagues, titles, etc that he's won in the U.S., Argentina, and worldwide are just astonishing. At least he is going out a winner. I'm just shocked that he's not going to be in the league anymore as he's been a pretty solid player and has only been in the NBA since 2005 (he is older than most rookies would have been in their rookie-year, though, as he played for a long time in Argentina).

Good decision, he wasn't playing at an acceptable level any more. He was a very good player in his prime, superb passer and one of the smartest players I've ever seen.

Quote Originally Posted by ChristianDudley View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yeah I know, it is very unfortunate. But all of the accomplishments in his career are crazy--all of the championships, leagues, titles, etc that he's won in the U.S., Argentina, and worldwide are just astonishing. At least he is going out a winner. I'm just shocked that he's not going to be in the league anymore as he's been a pretty solid player and has only been in the NBA since 2005 (he is older than most rookies would have been in their rookie-year, though, as he played for a long time in Argentina).
    He was already 30, and in my opinion declining a bit, when he joined the NBA. Should have entered the league earlier. He spent most of his career in Europe, he arrived to Olympiacos as a 22 years old or something.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cordobes For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by cordobes View Post
    He was already 30, and in my opinion declining a bit, when he joined the NBA. Should have entered the league earlier. He spent most of his career in Europe, he arrived to Olympiacos as a 22 years old or something.
    Ah, I had never seen him play until he joined the Spurs in 2005, so I never noticed any decline obviously.

I dont quite agree on Oberto's prime. He always seemed to me as one of those NBA-only players, who don't look so good outside of NBA - but in NBA, they find a niche and are good at it. I always thought the Spurs were the best thing that happened in his career as they really brought his prime out of him.

I might have missed his play in national leagues - especially in Argentina and Greece. But he never seemed to me to be a top caliber player as far as Euroleague and ACB (top euro domestic league) goes. Definitely not a superstar in Europe, head and shoulders below other Argentinians before they made the jump to NBA - Ginobili or Scola, Nocioni or Carlos Delfino, they were all arguably top 5 or possibly even best Euroleague players at one point or another.

I always was a bit surprised by Oberto's success in NBA. On the other hand, he's a living evidence that u can make it in the NBA even if you were a role player in top European competitions. In fact, players like Oberto, Tony Parker or Boris Diaw - mediocre in Europe - often go on to be better in NBA than Euro superstars like Zarko Paspalj, Jasikevicius or Rigaudeau.

It's also a testament to how good Spurs' scouting staff has been. Most teams would just look at success, while Spurs came out with quite a few NBA players who just didnt fit in Europe.

Either way, it's a shame he had to end his career so abruptly.

Quote Originally Posted by ballism View Post
    I dont quite agree on Oberto's prime. He always seemed to me as one of those NBA-only players, who don't look so good outside of NBA - but in NBA, they find a niche and are good at it. I always thought the Spurs were the best thing that happened in his career as they really brought his prime out of him.

I might have missed his play in national leagues - especially in Argentina and Greece. But he never seemed to me to be a top caliber player as far as Euroleague and ACB (top euro domestic league) goes. Definitely not a superstar in Europe, head and shoulders below other Argentinians before they made the jump to NBA - Ginobili or Scola, Nocioni or Carlos Delfino, they were all arguably top 5 or possibly even best Euroleague players at one point or another.

I always was a bit surprised by Oberto's success in NBA. On the other hand, he's a living evidence that u can make it in the NBA even if you were a role player in top European competitions. In fact, players like Oberto, Tony Parker or Boris Diaw - mediocre in Europe - often go on to be better in NBA than Euro superstars like Zarko Paspalj, Jasikevicius or Rigaudeau.

It's also a testament to how good Spurs' scouting staff has been. Most teams would just look at success, while Spurs came out with quite a few NBA players who just didnt fit in Europe.

Either way, it's a shame he had to end his career so abruptly.
    I agree with your overall point but I disagree almost fully on the details.

Oberto was one of the best post players in Europe in the last 10 years and was at his peak during that couple of seasons under Dusko in Vitoria, on those Tau teams that won the doblete and lost the Euroleague in that epic finals series versus Messina's (and Ginobili's) Kinder and then in those underachieving Valencia teams that won the ULEB Cup, playing alongside Kammerichs and Tomasevic. He was a key cog on both those teams and at times a dominant player (I was at the game 4 of the '01 Finals and he was superb, the best player on court). Certainly not mediocre.

He wasn't at the level of Ginobili and Scola, but those guys are two of the best players ever in European basketball. I mean, he wasn't even close to their level in the NBA either; Ginobili is an All-NBA level of player and Scola an All-Star level, a big able to put up 20-10. I'm not sure if there's a single player at the level of Ginobili/Scola in European basketball right now. Maybe a healthy Siskauskas. Oberto was just a solid role-player, he never had that kind of shot-creation skills. He was also a bit below Nocioni; but again, the same happened in the NBA. Nocioni was an excellent 6th man, a guy able to score 15 points coming off the bench while defending the opponent's best player . Oberto in his best years in the Spurs would give you 5 points, 5 rebounds, solid defense, great passing, few mistakes, some dirty plays. Solid rotation player, but nothing else. Anyway, when he joined the Spurs he had already slowed down a bit, he wasn't as mobile and quick as he used to be. He was much more bouncy earlier in his career, a quicker player vertically and leaving the floor.

Not sure about the Parker and Diaw examples too. Those guys weren't mediocre, they were just young. They played 2 seasons of pro-basketball in Europe or something, as 20 years old kids. Still, they were universally recognized as extremely promising players and they showed it. Parker was the best player of a playoffs team in the still respectable (10 years ago) French league and was dominating youth competitions in Europe (and the Hoop Summit). Diaw was rookie of the year in the French league. They were still young and developing their games when they joined the NBA, but very promising and high-level prospects, not mediocre players. They're more similar to Dirk, who was playing in the German 2nd division before joining the NBA. They're similar to Beaubois, Batum or Seraphin now. Mediocre players were Gelabale or Skita. A better example would probably be Goran Dragic - he was never able to make Tau's roster before signing with Phoenix.

I definitely agree that some players' games translates a lot better to the NBA and vice-versa. Different games, athleticism is a lot more important in the NBA game. Size too. Saras is a good example I guess, even though I always thought he was grossly overrated in Europe anyway.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to cordobes For This Useful Post:

Well, i certainly didn't want to belittle Oberto as player in Europe if it came out like that. My only point was that he has always been a role player. His Spurs days, starting every other night on that last championship team, was the peak of his career. I'm sure he had great games at every stage of his career - i dont remember any in particular, but everyone has them. What he didnt have is consistent greatness.

As for naming 'role players' who made the jump to NBA around 30 - i agree, it's hard. There just hasnt been many of those. Skita, Dragic - they also entered NBA very young, kind of like Diaw. Gelabale was a bit older - but he doesnt matter anyway, since he wasnt good anywhere. I guess Gortat could be a better example - he played for extremely obscure teams - but he also entered at 22 or 23.

So i suppose what we end up with is comparing career patterns. Delfino, Ginobili, Nocioni, Scola at Diaw's or Gortat's age were playing in top leagues and either hunted or signed by top Euro teams. Their future seemed as clear as Rubio's a year or two ago. Diaw's Ortez in France on the other hand - while it produced quite a few NBA players - but it's a tier below, and iirc he wasnt even an established player there. And Gortat's English club is many tiers below. I agree though, players like Nowitzki or Parker shouldnt be involved here at all, they were still kids when they made the jump.

Either way my point wasnt that Oberto is comparable to the other 4 Argentinians. To the oposite - he wasnt at their lvl neither at Europe nor NBA. His NBA career is comparable or better than Rigaudeaus, Jasikevicius or Paspaljs though - while they were all a tier above him in Europe.

I dont know if he had the talent to do much more in the NBA if he came at 25 or 26 - id doubt it. But considering his peers, he had a great NBA career imo. That was his peak, and cant really take it from him. Certainly not an 'what if' player like Sabonis or Bodiroga.