Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hibbert vents his frustration

Banned

Default Hibbert vents his frustration

I think we officially have a leader.

http://blogs.indystar.com/pacersinsi...s-frustration/

PHILADELPHIA – I knew something was up when I walked over to Roy Hibbert’s locker and he said, “I was hoping you were going to come talk to me.”

That’s when Hibbert, who is usually pretty mellow with his comments, decided to voice his frustration.

“Within two days we have become a completely different basketball team,” he said. “It was really pathetic. People have to be held accountable. We have to run the system. When we run it, we’re good. When we don’t we lose like this.”

Hibbert didn’t mention any names when talking about players being held accountable. He was upset at how the offense looked during their 26-point beat down to Philadelphia.

“We went away from what we did last game to win the game,” he said. “We didn’t play tough. Last time we were throwing it in, cutting and moving.

“I felt like we came down, the ball wasn’t getting passed. It wasn’t getting reversed. We just shot quick shots. We weren’t getting back in transition. We didn’t play defense at all.”

Hibbert was talking loud enough that several players nearby stopped dressing to hear what he had to say.

“We were horrible,” Hibbert said. “We weren’t running our sets. We weren’t getting out and running. We weren’t cutting and moving. This wasn’t Pacers basketball. I thought we just took three steps back in my opinion.”

That’s the first time in quite a while that a player has vented like that for the Pacers.

You have to give Hibbert credit for speaking up and trying to take hold of a leadership spot that has been vacant for years.

Now it’s a matter of whether his teammates will follow behind him.

crazy shinaniganz BringJackBack's Avatar

Default Re: Hibbert vents his frustration

It's refreshing to hear that Roy feels exactly how I feel about last night.

Droppin' knowledge, yo. Mackey_Rose's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I've given Granger major props for the way he has played offensively up to last night, his defense has still been kind of offensive, but at least he has been aggressive trying to get to the rim and his shot selection has been much improved.

Last night, he reverted back to the Granger we saw most of last season. Not a good thing. I think this was probably just a bad game, and there doesn't need to be too much made of it, but I definitely hope Granger's play offensively doesn't carry over beyond last night.
    Last edited by Mackey_Rose; 11-04-2010 at 05:56 AM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Mackey_Rose For This Useful Post:

This made me like Hibbert even more.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I like that Roy is speaking up, someone needs to speak up and be a leader. Danny is a lil too quiet spoken IMO. A locker room leader needs to be vocal. In the words of Bill Walton "Throw It Down Big Fella!"
    I'm not perfect and neither are you.

Romans 3:23 For all have sinned,and come short of the glory of God. kjv
    Ephisians 4: 32 And be ye kind one to another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God for Christ's sake hath forgiven you. kjv

Quote Originally Posted by Mackey_Rose View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I've given Granger major props for the way he has played offensively up to last night, his defense has still been kind of offensive, but at least he has been aggressive trying to get to the rim and his shot selection has been much improved.

Last night, he reverted back to the Granger we saw most of last season. Not a good thing. I think this was probably just a bad game, and there doesn't need to be too much made of it, but I definitely hope Granger's play offensively doesn't carry over beyond last night.
    I thought it was one of his worst games ever. It was like he just woke up after sleeping 10 hours and was tossed out on the basketball court. He and the rest of the Pacers just seemed slow to react the whole night.

The Pacers will probably have another game like this before the season is over, but conversely they will be on the other end of the stick and blow some teams away too.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Will Galen For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

“Within two days we have become a completely different basketball team,” he said. “It was really pathetic. People have to be held accountable. We have to run the system. When we run it, we’re good. When we don’t we lose like this.”
    Someone get me Hibbert's gamertag....

I have a feeling Hibbert is going to get the max in a couple of years under the new CBA and no one is even going to blink. He'll probably deserve every penny.

The key to whether Hibbert is really going to be the team's "leader" is whether the other players respect and defer to him in these situations. It also means the next game after he pops off, he better go out and have a monster game.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MTM For This Useful Post:

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

If Roy was the only player with a positive +/- , why did he only play 27 minutes?

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

14. The Following User Says Thank You to McKeyFan For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by McKeyFan View Post
    If Roy was the only player with a positive +/- , why did he only play 27 minutes?

JOB is retarted phila has no big who can guard him i dont know why he only play 27 mins

International Counter bellisimo's Avatar

its always rough when a team has this much downtime after having some sort of a momentum from their previous games.

everything was pretty much set up for the downfall of the Pacers last night (on the road, playing against a hungry winless team, taking the competition lightly due to their record, having one too many days off, etc) - and it happened. I would've been more shocked if we had came out and crushed them.

As long as they can recover from it - no need to hit the bottom low and ask to trade everyone on the roster...

I remember a few years back, when Larry Bird was the head coach of the Pacers, and we had a losing record when the game was decided by 5pts or less...Kenny Smith had made a comment about how if the game is decided by less than 5pts, then it falls under the coaches' matchups/etc while if a team gets blownout - then the players just did not come to play.

I tend to agree with that.

17. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to bellisimo For This Useful Post:

Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I dislike JOB as much as the next guy but this game falls squarely on the shoulders of our guards and wings.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

-Lance Stephenson

19. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to BRushWithDeath For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

The performance last night was disgusting to me. I'll blame the offense actually more than the defense. (although the defense wasn't good either, but the offense negatively impacted the defense)

The shot selection last night was beyond horrible, quick shots, well defended shots - that was really bad. The players still don't trust the offense and their teammates. And I blame Granger the most, because first of all he took many terrible shots, but he is the offensive leader and he often sets the tone.

Through the first week of the season I have been harping on the pacers halfcourt offense. When they run their system, when they are patient, when they trust the system and each other - they are really good offensively - but last night they did none of that.

The Sixers defense was good though and they played very well overall, and likely would have beaten the pacers anyway last night, but no excuse to be blown out like that.

I agree, I blame the gaurds and the wings - they set the tone, and Collison wasn't much better than Granger

21. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

Banned

I blame this lost on the guards also, Danny kind of quit the game in the second quarter, there was one play were he was blocked by Iguadola and did not even bother to get back to play D, does anybody else here think that almost everytime Iguadola was guarding Danny he was forcing a shot? It seems to me like he was trying to stick it to Iguadola for replacing him in the world Championship.

Custom User Titleist
    Another dimension, a dimension not only of sight and sound, but of mind.
    Mood

First off, great for Hibbert! He gets it, whether anyone else invloved with the Pacers franchise does or not.

Thankfully Hibbert is aware of these facts, and is willing to call out others after such an awful performance. He was embarrassed about the Pacers performance, and rightfully so.

I also hope Jim O'Brien heard him. When a player is harping on what was obvious for an entire game to the level that Hibbert did, the coach failed to lead, plain and simple. Maybe O'Brien was focused on reconnecting with his friends and family while he was in Philly, because he certainly had no clue what was going on during the course of this game.

I think that what we saw was a tremendously immature team with no leadership, on the sidelines or the court, get its head handed to it by one of the worst teams in the league. Of all things, I think they, both the players AND O'Brien, believed that their 2-1 record somehow indicated that they are much better than they actually are, and that they are somehow proficient decision makers who can freelance. Obviously, nothing could be further from the truth.

Collison needs about 3 more of these games, and a benching, to realize that he needs to be aware that there are other players on the court who are often in better positions to score than he is. Ford even outplayed him significantly.

I would have Collison spend about 3 hours watching video of himself so far as a Pacer, if his attention span is that long, and drill into him why his method of play is so bad for this franchise...

But wait, that's right! Collison is playing the game exactly the way that every other point guard who has come here in the past has played, while being more proficient in the PnR than others before him have been despite having no one else on the floor capable of setting screens. That could not possibly have anything to do with our esteemed and peerless leader Jim O'Brien, could it?

I realize that it is a lot to ask for a team to have a third available point guard on the active roster for occasions such as last night, especially when the inactive player is a better point guard than the starter despite having the same tenure in the league, but c'mon Jim, throw us a bone, will ya? Of course you won't, just thought I'd ask...

I have absolutely no idea what could have been wrong with Danny. Of course, the same thought applies to pretty much everyone else not named McRoberts or Hibbert, with even Solo looking decent, and Posey not looking atrocious by comparison for the first time during the regular season. Maybe Rush hosted a team party at the hotel the night before the game to celebrate his nearing return to the starting lineup?

Well, at least we have that difficult game out of the way, and the schedule begins to become more favorable and forgiving.

You know, in retrospect, I may actually be somewhat OK that this happened. If we get a few more like these in succession in the near future, maybe the Pacers will go ahead and bite the bullet and spend the rest of the taxpayer money on an upgrade in the coaching staff to match the fancy new ribbon light boards around the Fieldhouse...

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Brad8888 For This Useful Post:

We are a shooting team. When your shot does not fall loses like this really hurt because they are blowouts.

Players get frustrated during the game and the offense turns into a chuck fest because players try to get stuff going.

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dohman For This Useful Post:

It was a collective fail, I agree. Selfish offensively, sputtering indifference on defense.

Troubling trend too is when Roy goes out, the team looks like a completely different team, poor energy, poor teamwork.

Only time all year they were okay without him was in the home opener when TH and JMac were in there together.

Live to fight another day, I guess.

Roy is worth his weight in gold with his lockeroom statements. If his teammates don't take notice of it, that's on them in my book.

Oh ya, can we get Dunleavy to follow his shot. I know that's old school and maybe doesn't follow today's player, but he left 4 shots short that if he even made a minor effort to go after they were his.

Also on Mike, when he went out of the game the movement came to a screeching halt. Now when he came back, he just joined the chuck fest, but still, I thought it was quite noticeable the impact he has on the flow of the offense.

One more thing Roy on the floor for a loose ball twice, no one came to him for a pass to help him out. Nice job guys, not only don't hustle for the loose ball, but don't even help the guy who did.

Agreed big Roy, that's not Pacers basketball.

On to Milwaukee.
    Last edited by Speed; 11-04-2010 at 09:26 AM.

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Speed For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Speed View Post

Oh ya, can we get Dunleavy to follow his shot. I know that's old school and maybe doesn't follow today's player, but he left 4 shots short that if he even made a minor effort to go after they were his.
    I noticed that too.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to McKeyFan For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Brad8888 View Post
    . Maybe O'Brien was focused on reconnecting with his friends and family while he was in Philly, because he certainly had no clue what was going on during the course of this game.
    I want to address the part I put in bold. And I am not narrowly discussing this in regards to O'Brien. More of coaching and coaches in general.

Brad you say, the coach had no clue what was going on during the course of the game. How did you arrive at that conclusion? Is that because he was unable to change it during the course of the game? I think Jim was trying to, from what Stacey reported he said in the huddles, to Jim trying to play different players, trying D. Jones - Looked to me Jim tried everything he could during the game, short of benching all the players.

What could the coach have done during the course of the game
    Last edited by Unclebuck; 11-04-2010 at 09:30 AM.

32. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by dohman View Post
    We are a shooting team. When your shot does not fall loses like this really hurt because they are blowouts.

Players get frustrated during the game and the offense turns into a chuck fest because players try to get stuff going.
    Agreed, but they need to learn to not try to be a hero. It goes back to the trust thing mentioned. Trust each other, trust the system.

Ya Obie didn't have any bullets left in the chamber on this one. You can't bench everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Speed View Post
    Ya Obie didn't have any bullets left in the chamber on this one. You can't bench everyone.
    He had one bullet left...

http://twitter.com/#!/toothpicksray/status/29620346076

O'Brien should consider shooting one of the #Pacers at half time - leave the body on bench as a lesson to the others #Bunkmoreland

36. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to count55 For This Useful Post:

One bullet didn't get to dress: AJ.

streets ahead

Quote Originally Posted by count55 View Post

I find the recent violent themes in your posts both hilarious and terrifying.

39. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to avoidingtheclowns For This Useful Post: