Thread: GWU has a male playing on the women's BB team

Default GWU has a male playing on the women's BB team

technically speaking anyway.

A female player became a male since last season, and stayed on the team.

The bolded part below probably saves the school and the NCAA from any eligibility challenges, since he, errrrr..... she, errrrrr.... the player hasn't has medical treatments including surgery yet, so it is more an issue of self-identity at this point.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebask...-stays-on-team

GW women's player changes gender, stays on team
    CBSSports.com wire reports
    Nov. 3, 2010

WASHINGTON -- A female-to-male transgender member of the George Washington women's basketball team wants to be identified as a man this season.

Junior Kye Allums -- who used to be known as Kay-Kay -- is referred to on the school's website as a "male member of George Washington's women's basketball team."

"GW has been supportive during this transition. This means a lot. I didn't choose to be born in this body and feel the way I do. I decided to transition -- that is, change my name and pronouns -- because it bothered me to hide who I am, and I am trying to help myself and others to be who they are," Allums said in a statement posted Tuesday on the website.

"I told my teammates first, and they, including my coaches, have supported me. My teammates have embraced me as the big brother of the team," continued Allums, who turned 21 last month. "They have been my family, and I love them all."

A story posted Monday on outsports.com reported that "Allums will be the first publicly transgender person" to play NCAA Division I college basketball. NCAA spokesman Rick Nixon did not immediately reply to a request for comment Tuesday from the AP.

GW senior vice provost Robert Chernak, who is the school's senior vice president for student academic and support services, said Allums "has informed the university that he will not begin any medical or drug protocols while a student-athlete. The university consulted the NCAA regarding his competitive status. Kye will continue to be a member of the women's basketball team."

Chernak also said the university "supports Kye and his right to make this decision."

Allums started 20 games for George Washington last season, averaging 7.4 points and 4.6 rebounds in 24.9 minutes. Allums scored a career-high 21 points in a 58-50 victory over La Salle on Jan. 24.

According to GW's website, Allums was honored as the 2008 Minnesota Miss Basketball.

"The George Washington University women's basketball program, including myself, support Kye's right to make this decision," head coach Mike Bozeman said in a statement on the school's website.

George Washington opens its 2010-11 season on Nov. 13 against Green Bay in a tournament at Minneapolis.
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: GWU has a male playing on the women's BB team

I am GWU alum, if any school were to be cool with this, it would be GWU. It is one of the most if not the most LBGT (or whatever that abbreviation is) schools in the country.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to idioteque For This Useful Post:

Nerd.
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: GWU has a male playing on the women's BB team

No big deal.

Now, if it was the other way around, a male-to-female conversion, I could see definite advantages to having him/her on the court.