Thread: Twitter 101 for PD Members

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Twitter 101 for PD Members

This was taken from another thread, but I wanted to share it with everyone... (http://www.pacersdigest.com/showthre...36#post1081936)

PD Twitter 101- By duke dynamite

Welcome to twitter 101. I am Professor Dynamite.

First off, the basics...

You choose a username, for instance mine is dukedynamite. Whenever someone wants to "mention" me, or write to me, they put the @ symbol in front of my username. That grabs my attention, unless I am not following that user. If I am following that user, it will show up in my news feed. If I am not, I have to click on my mentions feed.

Okay, so say I want to mention or say something to Roy Hibbert. I type in the "What's Happening" blank something like this:

dukedynamite

@Hoya2aPacer Nice game last night, Roy! Keep up the good work!

That will show up to everyone who follows me, and it will show up in Roy's mentions feed. (Unless he is following me, and it will show up in both that and his main news feed.) You also notice that who wrote the tweet, their name is above the actual tweet.

So we have mastered the basics of mentioning. Now on to hash tags (#).

A hash tag (#) is when someone wants to have something they say viewed by many people, and get put in a pool of many other people hopefully mentioning the same thing.

Example:

dukedynamite

At the #Pacers game tonight. I hope Roy dominates the paint!

Okay. So everyone following me will see that, and it will get thrown into a pool of other people mentioning #Pacers at that time. Usually things become "trended topics" and they are the most common hash-tagged words/phrases of the day. Most of the time it's news stories, etc.

*One cool thing about Hash tags is that they turn into hyperlinks. If you click on the hyperlink it created of your hash tag, you will be taken to a live feed of everyone else who has recently mentioned the same thing you did, if at all any.

Finally, you might ask yourselves, what does this "RT" mean? That means ReTweet. This is when you see something come up from one of your followers, or some random tweet, and you want everyone who follows you to see it.

Say Roy has nice words on how well Area55 did one night during a game. Here is how it would probably go:

Hoya2aPacer:

Good job to #Area55 tonight! You guys were loud and proud!

(See what I did there, I added a Hash tag there, so anyone who is interested in #Area55 can see that Roy tweeted his praise.)

Alright. That's the first step. On Roy's tweet you will see a recycle-looking arrow. You will click that. It will ask to confirm. Click ReTweet.

So, now the tweet will show up coming from you, but ReTweeted. It will look like this:

dukedynamite

RT @Hoya2aPacer: Good job to #Area55 tonight! You guys were loud and proud!

So there you have it, I hope this quick tutorial of twitter helps you understand what is going on. To someone unfamiliar with the system it could look like gibberish and a bunch of random words, but it should become more clear after reading through this.

DISCLAIMER: The above tutorial was no way in any form quotes derived from tweets or actual tweets from Roy Hibbert (@Hoya2aPacer)
    Last edited by duke dynamite; 10-26-2010 at 11:54 AM.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to duke dynamite For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Twitter 101 for PD Members

I still hate twitter, but even with using it you helped me understand a few things.

Thank you.

Oh, and I still hate twitter

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vapacersfan For This Useful Post:

Custom User Titleist
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by vapacersfan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I still hate twitter, but even with using it you helped me understand a few things.

Thank you.

Oh, and I still hate twitter
    I'm no expert, but if I understood the tutorial correctly, you probably should have added a # tag as follows:

"Oh, and I still #hate twitter " so that everybody that hates twitter could be aware of that at the same time. Awareness of this hate needs to be increased in the sub 140 character world in my view.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Brad8888 For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Brad8888 View Post
    I'm no expert, but if I understood the tutorial correctly, you probably should have added a # tag as follows:

"Oh, and I still #hate twitter " so that everybody that hates twitter could be aware of that at the same time. Awareness of this hate needs to be increased in the sub 140 character world in my view.
    That wouldn't do him any good. In order for "hate twitter" to be tagged it has to be tagged as #hatetwitter. If you leave a space in between the words just hate will be tagged.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to duke dynamite For This Useful Post:

Mood

I won 2 Floor seats to the Home-Opener just by Retweeting a message. I will forever love Twitter.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Day-V For This Useful Post:

I use twitter, but one thing I don't get is how do people retweet something and add their own comment to the beginning or end of it?

I'll use your example:
    RT @Hoya2aPacer: Good job to #Area55 tonight! You guys were loud and proud!<---- Yeah they were crazy

How do you do that to an actual retweet? usually you hit retweet and it does just that

Mood

You have to copy paste and put RT and then add the comment, it doesn't do that automatically with their button.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Pig Nash For This Useful Post:

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Sorry but that all seems like a bunch of shyte I don't need to get into. I waste enough time on here.
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

15. The Following User Says Thank You to indygeezer For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Pig Nash View Post
    You have to copy paste and put RT and then add the comment, it doesn't do that automatically with their button.
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe those different Twitter programs (TweetDeck, etc.) allow you to RT and then add a comment to it before sending it out? Maybe? Idk....

Mood

I'm not sure, I just use the Twitter widget for Android, don't use all the fancy apps.

Quote Originally Posted by Day-V View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe those different Twitter programs (TweetDeck, etc.) allow you to RT and then add a comment to it before sending it out? Maybe? Idk....
    Yep, TweetDeck does that.

I would recommend everyone get a good witter app like TweetDeck or HootSuite, as well. Makes a lot of stuff much easier. The new Twitter design is really cool, though.