Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hawks Could Shop Smith?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Hawks Could Shop Smith?

After signing center Al Horford to a contract extension on Monday, many around the league believe that the Hawks will make forward Josh Smith available via trade at midseason.
    Horford's new deal won't push Atlanta into luxury tax territory, but they are unlikely to be able to afford either a new deal for Jamal Crawford or a similar-salaried player.
    A number of teams, including the Knicks, Nets, Pistons and Suns, have shown interest in Smith in the past.

Realgm.com
    ESPN.com
    Chad Ford

We obviously have the players to give them cap relief but they probably aren't the players they want and how does Josh fit in with this team?

"I've got an idea--an idea so smart that my head would explode if I even began to know what I'm talking about." - Peter Griffin

2. The Following User Says Thank You to DGPR For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Hawks Could Shop Smith?

We could do worse with our cap space but I'd he wouldn't be in my top 5 choices. I'd like us to use one of our expiring contracts for a pf that is more of a 4/5 then a 3/4. Another starting quality center that could play alongside Roy in a twin towers rotation would be perfect. If we're patient Memphis may not be able to offer Gasol the kind of contract he deserves under the new cba, or if the Clippers continue to play the way they have Kaman may be available by the deadline.

whether he comes to the pacers or not, josh smith will always be apart of the indiana family

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to croz24 For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

There is a short list of people I'd go after next season. These people are: (in no particular order)

Josh Smith
    Marc Gasol
    Andrei Kirelinko
    Carl Landry
    Greg Oden
    Mario Chalmers

That being said, I'm all for bringing in Josh Smith.
    Passion, Pride, Playoffs, Pacers

He is a beast. he is only 6'9" but he plays much, much bigger. He scores, rebounds, plays defense, and blocks shots.

That being said I am pretty happy with what we have. It would depend on where we are at at the trade deadline.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pacers74 For This Useful Post:

While I would rather have Josh Smith over Jeff Green I still feel the same way about him on the Pacers...i'd rather have more size at the PF spot.

Can Josh Smith guard Pau Gasol? Kevin Garnett? While a lot of teams are going small at the 4 spot I still believe teams that have a legit big man there will have a major advantage over teams who don't. Maybe I don't give him enough credit for his defense.

I think Josh would make the Pacers better but I don't think he is the right answer for the Pacers at PF.

I would love getting Josh, would be a great great addition and a future lineup of

C - R. Hibbert
    PF - J. Smith
    SF - D. Granger
    SG - P. George
    PG - Collison

+ a bench of Tyler, McBob, AJ, Rush and even maybe someone like Jamal Crawford for instant scoring off the bench or another FA-signing in the offeason.
    Would be even more fun to watch the pacers (even though i like what I see so far in this season) and become a winning playoffteam for several seasons to come
    Restore the Passion - Restore the Pride

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Miller-Time For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by pacergod2 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    ATL gets:

Murphy
    2012 First Rounder Unprotected

for

IND gets:

Josh Smith

At the trade deadline. Hawks start out unusually slow. Not looking like a great playoff run. Trade of Josh Smith's talent for Troy Murphy's solid expiring. They don't resign Troy. Glad they can talk extension with Al Horford on a max extension (under the new CBA).

Josh Smith makes all the difference in the world to this team. We need a slashing type of player who brings athleticism and defense getting 35 minutes a night on the floor. He can cut off the high post passing we are trying to establish for our young bigs. He rebounds the hell out of the weakside and will be amazing in cutting the weakside. I think using him on the weakside baseline at times from a high post entry would open him up to turning his defender around on the play.

He would open up a lot of space when he moves because defenders will struggle to overcome his athleticism. Brandon and Danny would reap huge benefits with some perimeter cuts. He does the exact opposite for us than what Troy brings. He opens up perimeter movement whereas Troy clogs it up because the defenders know where he is going for the most part. He does have a nice pump fake though. It will be great in ATL.
    This is a trade proposal I started in July. I would swap out Mike Dunleavy now, which would still make sense for them after moving Horford to PF. Dunleavy can back up the wings and play significant minutes behind Marvin Williams and Joe Johnson. I don't think he would be a terrific fit with Jamal Crawford, but both expire after this year anyway.

Not trying to make this a trade proposal thread, but I have thought this since last year, that they were going to have trouble re-signing all of their players and someone would have to be a cap casualty. I think Smith would be great for this team. He brings elite athleticism. He blocks a ton of shots. I think our team may lead the league in blocks between Hibbert, Smith, and Granger, plus JMac. Add in whatever we get out of our guards. We would contest every shot defensively. Smith rebounds the ball extremely well. I think Smith would cement our front court rotation to Hibbert, he, JMac, and Hansborough. JMac could slide over to backup center and still do the same things he does for us now. This would cut Solo, Posey, and Foster out of the rotation totally. The wing rotation would be Granger, Rush, and George, with Smith getting some spot minutes at SF, instead of using Granger at PF. I would love to see Smith, McRoberts and Hibbert in the lineup at the same time. JMac and Smith would be attacking the rim off of Hibbert high post passing. Plus McRoberts could be great in the high post when he is in with Smith. This would allow Jimmy to cut his rotation to 9 players and feel much more comfortable with those guys.

Pianoman put up a solid list of players for us to consider. I just think most of our cap space will go into re-signing our current young players and we have a shot at adding one very good player. Smith would be a player who makes sense for us to consider. Three years and $37.5M is the type of deal that would help us. It expires after the 2012-13 season, which is just in time for us to extend Collison and Hansborough, and one year before Paul George. It makes a lot of sense instead of signing a free agent next summer through 2015-16 (5 years), which is beyond all of our current rookie deals.

I would love for this to be the move that we make to improve this team. I would love our front court rotation and it gives more minutes to Rush and George. Our team defense would improve immensely as well.
    Last edited by pacergod2; 11-02-2010 at 10:52 AM.

he wouldn't be my first choice but i wouldn't complain if we get him.

another PF means either Hansbrough or McRoberts ride the pine significantly or are traded.

Yeah, I'm a Pacers fan. MyFavMartin's Avatar
    Mood

Is Smith still a headcase?

Quote Originally Posted by Pacerized View Post
    We could do worse with our cap space but I'd he wouldn't be in my top 5 choices. I'd like us to use one of our expiring contracts for a pf that is more of a 4/5 then a 3/4.
    I agree with you!

I considered Josh Smith earlier yesterday when I first read the above. I have two questions. One, How would Josh Smith fit into our team chemistry? Does he have an attitude? We already have Lance and we don't need to baby sit more than one player.

Two, and more important. Comparing us to Atlanta after we got Smith I don't see how we would be much better than Atlanta is now, if any. The Pacers would probably have to mature a bit together to get as good as Atlanta is now. I think we would be better, but how soon? And would we be good enough? I don't think Atlanta is is good enough.

I think we need another stud at the 4/5 to be really good, so why use up our expirings and money on Smith? We want to be able to play for the championship and we are still a few years away even if we got another stud right now.

I think we have about a year and a half to find this stud. We would have this years trade deadline, this summer, and next years trade deadline to do so. That is if there's no lock out. After that our young guys will start needing new contracts and will eat up our money.

So I want to wait and see what becomes available. I want someone better than Smith.

Mood

If we had Josh, I think we'd instantly be better than Atlanta, particularly in the long-term. ATL has Horford at the 5 spot, would slide him over and have Pachulia at the 5 or go small and have Marvin at the 4 and Johnson and Crawford at the 2/3 spots. They've got Bibby at the 1 and Teague backing him up.

Hibbert>Pachulia (now)
    DC2> Bibby/Teague (future... maybe now)

I'm just not sure how Josh would fit with the team chemistry wise. He's not struck me as a hard worker.

3000th post!

Quote Originally Posted by nerveghost View Post
    another PF means either Hansbrough or McRoberts ride the pine significantly or are traded.

And? We are talking about a power forward who is looked at as the best defender not named dwight howard.

He scores, rebounds, defends, runs the break. We would have one of the most athletic teams in the nba.

They will probably want one of our young players back. Give them Tyler so this debate can die.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dohman For This Useful Post:

If its cap space that Hawks are looking for, we could definitely help them there

But how would Josh Smith fit in with our chior boys???

I wonder if something like this would work http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMa...radeId=32mwgxq
    Last edited by MillerTime; 11-02-2010 at 12:46 PM.
    "So, which one of you guys is going to come in second?" - Larry Bird before the 3 point contest. He won.

We are a playoff team with him, yes, get him if you can!
    Last edited by odeez; 11-02-2010 at 12:55 PM.
    Avatar photo credit: Bahram Mark Sobhani - AP

22. The Following User Says Thank You to odeez For This Useful Post:

Banned

Call me crazy but with the production that we are getting from "Los dos amigos" I don't think necessary to make a trade for a guy that is good but won't take the pacers to the next level(championship)

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    Call me crazy but with the production that we are getting from "Los dos amigos" I don't think necessary to make a trade for a guy that is good but won't take the pacers to the next level(championship)
    I was looking at the PER stats from this year and last and it's hard to compare using this year's data with only 3 games.

With Josh, you're getting a guy who adds shot blocking. Tyler's doing well in the steals department and McBob is doing well in the blocks department... but again, this is preliminary.

Both Animal Crackers are doing well and it's too early to tell exactly what we've got (as a fan). Both have high bball IQ, which I'm afraid I don't know much about Josh's. I know he had an public issue with a HC (Woodson). Size-wise, they're all about the same. Josh is quicker, though. I can't speak as to his man-to-man defense and how hard he works.

Quote Originally Posted by pacergod2 View Post
    This is a trade proposal I started in July. I would swap out Mike Dunleavy now, which would still make sense for them after moving Horford to PF. Dunleavy can back up the wings and play significant minutes behind Marvin Williams and Joe Johnson. I don't think he would be a terrific fit with Jamal Crawford, but both expire after this year anyway.

Not trying to make this a trade proposal thread, but I have thought this since last year, that they were going to have trouble re-signing all of their players and someone would have to be a cap casualty. I think Smith would be great for this team. He brings elite athleticism. He blocks a ton of shots. I think our team may lead the league in blocks between Hibbert, Smith, and Granger, plus JMac. Add in whatever we get out of our guards. We would contest every shot defensively. Smith rebounds the ball extremely well. I think Smith would cement our front court rotation to Hibbert, he, JMac, and Hansborough. JMac could slide over to backup center and still do the same things he does for us now. This would cut Solo, Posey, and Foster out of the rotation totally. The wing rotation would be Granger, Rush, and George, with Smith getting some spot minutes at SF, instead of using Granger at PF. I would love to see Smith, McRoberts and Hibbert in the lineup at the same time. JMac and Smith would be attacking the rim off of Hibbert high post passing. Plus McRoberts could be great in the high post when he is in with Smith. This would allow Jimmy to cut his rotation to 9 players and feel much more comfortable with those guys.

Pianoman put up a solid list of players for us to consider. I just think most of our cap space will go into re-signing our current young players and we have a shot at adding one very good player. Smith would be a player who makes sense for us to consider. Three years and $37.5M is the type of deal that would help us. It expires after the 2012-13 season, which is just in time for us to extend Collison and Hansborough, and one year before Paul George. It makes a lot of sense instead of signing a free agent next summer through 2015-16 (5 years), which is beyond all of our current rookie deals.

I would love for this to be the move that we make to improve this team. I would love our front court rotation and it gives more minutes to Rush and George. Our team defense would improve immensely as well.

Nice post. I just can't get real enthused about Josh Smith when I want more of a big typical PF. Especially one that can be the b/u center. People need to quit pigeonholing players into positions they can't be successful playing, and I'm referring to McBob playing b/u center. He's not a center, nor can he even play against 2nd unit players like Gortat, Dampier, etc.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Justin Tyme For This Useful Post:

Thumbs up Re: Hawks Could Shop Smith?

Here have been a couple of good post on this subject but this is my take....(feedback appreciated!)

I think we are looking at this all wrong. For one, instead of messing with the chemistry of the PF position you optimize your strengths and strenghthen your weaknesses by moving DG to the 2 spot and Smith to the 3! Other than Lebron and Kevin Durant the SF position is not really stacked which givesus the oppurtunity to let Smith use his athleticism on the declining position, while moving Granger to the two, increasing the backourt considerable and putting our best defensive player on other teams best scorers, (Kobe,Wade, Roy, etc.)! This would make us one of the most athletic, hustle-minded, and rebounding teams in the league and allow our young guys to come in without having so much preside to perform rather than to learn the pace of the game!

That being said the way I would go after Smith would instead of jus giving them a first in Dunleavey, which probably wouldn't be appeasing offer them a combination of TJ and Solo or TJ and Rush, with1st! With Mike Bibby starting to show is age and Teague not ready to take the position over, Ford would give them an adequate point for at least this year to try on while giving them cap room. And even though I don't see much use for Atl with solo other than to beef up their frontcourt and to make salaries work, but rush can be a scorer if they choose to let Crawford walk and a young talent they might use to rebuild on! And finally, this gives us the two for one to re-sign magnum to maybe put him at the back- up PF or center! And we still keep Dun and able to get Posey off the court and still have enough to be able to get a FA if we want or to hold on until it's time to resign our players!

28. The Following User Says Thank You to King Phoenix For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by dohman View Post

They will probably want one of our young players back. Give them Tyler so this debate can die.

NO! If either McBob or Tyler goes, let it be McBob. Smith and McBob are both athletic and long, so I want the Hans type agressive bulldog style as the other PF. It still achieves your goal of the debate dying.

do you guys think it'd be feasible to go after Paul Millsap? He's lights out right now

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'd still keep both Tyler and Josh.

Josh can backup Roy and Tyler can backup Smith.

I wouldn't try and go after any PFs for a little while just to see how the current rotation continues to play.
    Last edited by Trophy; 11-02-2010 at 02:10 PM.

I have said it for a long time now: Josh Smith would be a perfect complement in our frontcourt to Roy Hibbert. His defense, rebounding, and athleticism would hide Roy's deficiencies and we don't need him to do a whole lot on offense.

33. The Following User Says Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

Droppin' knowledge, yo. Mackey_Rose's Avatar

I like Josh Smith a lot as a player and think he would fit in nicely with this team. I don't like his contract as much as many of you. Personally, I think the value you get out of McRoberts/Hansbrough at that position is too good to be ignored.

If they'd be willing to accept Dunleavy's corpse for him that would be good, but I can't see that happening.