Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: I still want Mike Dunleavy to start once Rush returns

Default Re: I still want Mike Dunleavy to start once Rush returns

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Rush had a knee surgery in college how we know he is not afraid of getting hurt again.(same excuse)
    I didn't suggest that Mike was afraid of getting hurt??? He had a very serious knee injury that took about 2 years to heal

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    And yet Danny is still shooting 45.8% from 3 through the first 3 games.
    Both of these numbers will even out with more games. Mike will shoot better than 21% and no way Danny will shoot damn near 50% from three.
    All in for DG33

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    I didn't suggest that Mike was afraid of getting hurt??? He had a very serious knee injury that took about 2 years to heal
    To be fair, sometimes it takes players a really long time to get over the mental and physical aspect of any knee injury.

I used an example from the WNBA, Swin Cash finally returned to her pre-ACL form. And she tore it in 2006. (And some players get over it quickly, as in..right away) Some players never recover..it depends on the person. (And a lot of my examples are women, as the majority of ACL tears I've seen are through women's players)

That injury, in particular has got to be traumatic mentally. It's not a contact injury. One minute a player is moving, the next their knee snaps and they aren't playing for 8 months. Sometimes it simply happens when they are running..or pivoting..or a jump stop. Typical basketball moves. I can understad where players struggle, mentally, to get over it. Because the fear of it happening again has got to be there.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sookie For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

but the fact of the matter is mike is not quick enoght anymore. because of his knee to play any sort of defense. which has always been his weakness anyway.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Sookie View Post
    To be fair, sometimes it takes players a really long time to get over the mental and physical aspect of any knee injury.

I used an example from the WNBA, Swin Cash finally returned to her pre-ACL form. And she tore it in 2006. (And some players get over it quickly, as in..right away) Some players never recover..it depends on the person. (And a lot of my examples are women, as the majority of ACL tears I've seen are through women's players)

That injury, in particular has got to be traumatic mentally. It's not a contact injury. One minute a player is moving, the next their knee snaps and they aren't playing for 8 months. Sometimes it simply happens when they are running..or pivoting..or a jump stop. Typical basketball moves. I can understad where players struggle, mentally, to get over it. Because the fear of it happening again has got to be there.
    This photo show to me he is not playing timidly. He landed right on his knees after this shot.

http://www.nba.com/pacers/photogallery/101030_13.html
    All in for DG33

Banned

You are suggesting that Mike is not shooting well because his leg is not strong enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond Dave View Post
    First I don't agree that he is an intelligent player at all. We will just have to agree to disagree here as until someone develops a standardized basketball intelligence test we're stuck with our opinions.
    And even with standardized testing people complain and say it's not about IQ it's about phsyical ability. And I'm directly talking about the NFL test. But that's beside the point.

What makes you think he isn't intelligent?

He doesn't get lost, and he understands the difference between a good open shot and a bad one. And that right there is his problem, and which is why I brought up JOb and the system.

JOb puts premium on taking open shots. How many times have I heard Clark or Quinn make the comment that Jim won't scold you for missing a shot, but he will for not taking one?

That's been my biggest issue with Jim. Taking a wide open 3 with 16 seconds left on the shot clock isn't always a good shot. Being aggressive is a fault half the time. I think Brandon understands that concept, and doesn't fit in, because he's not willing to just shoot shots because he can.

I find that extremely smart. He's not going to need the work when a new coach comes in, that a lot of the other players will need. Discipline is intelligence, to me.

Next, this whole thread has been about me expressing that Mike Dunleavy provides the Pacers with more points even if he is not scoring. His movement opens up opportunities for other players. Causes defenses to get lost and break down. He may not be the one that scores, but often is the reason a player got a good shot.

So, IMO, we're not just talking about 2 points. I'm not sure anyone can argue that Brandon Rush's presence on the offensive side of the floor makes anyone better. He only contributes to the score if he is actually scoring.
    And like I said, scoring isn't an issue, with or without Mike. Scoring is not a problem. The Pacers will score and they will score in bunches, with or without his cutting.

While it might lead to scores, directly or indirectly, those points are going to get produced in other ways if he's not on the floor. That's the nature of the beast. Their point production will NOT go down.

Also, barring injury or a significant reduction in minutes, I will take the KStat Oath that I will eat my shoe if Dunleavy ends the year averaging 11 points or less.
    I thought this wasn't about how many points Mike scored? I'm not trying to give you a hard time. I just don't think Mike is important offensively.

If you need Mike to score 18-19 points a game, the Pacers are in trouble, because that means either Danny, Roy, or DC aren't playing very well. You might as well throw in Tyler into that mix, because I see him as atleast a 2nd option with the backups.

They don't need Mike to score. They need him to shoot a high percentage and play good defense. Right now they're getting about 33% of that equation.

He's not shooting well, and the only thing good about his defense is his helpside.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:

Both of these numbers will even out with more games. Mike will shoot better than 21% and no way Danny will shoot damn near 50% from three.
    I know this. But Danny will shoot around 40%. I fully expect him to be on the high side of it too. Dunleavy will shoot just like he's always shot. About 35%-37%.

Mike will have a lot more 1 or 2 made 3pt attempt games than Danny will.

I love how certain portions of our fanbase can rationalize blaming our defensive problems on one player. The last couple years, it was Murphy. Now that he's gone...Mike Dunleavy, come on down!

I'm not a huge Mike Dunleavy fan, but I really appreciate some of the things he does. I don't think some of you understand how important movement without the ball is on offense. It opens up some easy points in our half court offense. He's a smart player, and while he gets beat on defense a lot, that's partly because he is playing out of position. In a perfect world, this guy would guard opposing SFs. He's forced to guard SGs which are much quicker than he is. Also, I'm not a Rush fan. He plays good defense and that's about it. He is a kick in the balls to the offense. He stands idly, he is hesitant to shoot most of the time, and he can't draw a foul to save his life. Some of you guys seem to think since he has the talent to be a really good offensive player, that eventually it will click for him and he will get better. He shows flashes, but he always reverts back to his normal state of tentativeness. I agree with the OP, I'd rather see Dunleavy out there than Rush. I'd rather see Paul George than Rush too, although I'm sure you all agree with that because he's young and still has potential.

12. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    I love how certain portions of our fanbase can rationalize blaming our defensive problems on one player. The last couple years, it was Murphy. Now that he's gone...Mike Dunleavy, come on down!

I'm not a huge Mike Dunleavy fan, but I really appreciate some of the things he does. I don't think some of you understand how important movement without the ball is on offense. It opens up some easy points in our half court offense. He's a smart player, and while he gets beat on defense a lot, that's partly because he is playing out of position. In a perfect world, this guy would guard opposing SFs. He's forced to guard SGs which are much quicker than he is. Also, I'm not a Rush fan. He plays good defense and that's about it. He is a kick in the balls to the offense. He stands idly, he is hesitant to shoot most of the time, and he can't draw a foul to save his life. Some of you guys seem to think since he has the talent to be a really good offensive player, that eventually it will click for him and he will get better. He shows flashes, but he always reverts back to his normal state of tentativeness. I agree with the OP, I'd rather see Dunleavy out there than Rush. I'd rather see Paul George than Rush too, although I'm sure you all agree with that because he's young and still has potential.
    no i dont blame just mike but he is part of it but the main part is JOB system of defense and how we rotate and dont get a hand up in peoples face to contast shots

Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post
    rewatch the spurs game when mike goes out manu doesnt score much. But when mike was in manu lite him up.
    You're allowing your eyes to play tricks with you. Manu scored once or twice on Dunleavy, at most.

---

I wouldn't mess up with the rotation without a good reason either. That's one of the biggest problems the Pacers had last season, too many changes.

Let Rush play some minutes as the 4th wing, give time and space for the other guys to figure it out, to settle into their roles - let players earn/lose rotation spots due to consistent good/bad play. If Rush plays up to his ability, he'll eventually earn more minutes, but let him show he can beat someone first.

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cordobes For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    We don't need Mike, he is another trading piece this year that's it.
    I'd rather keep Mike and trade Brandon.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to BobbyMac For This Useful Post:

It's still too early to speculate. Rush was our best 3pt shooter last year. It never hurts adding a guy who finished in the top 15 in the league last night. Rush can also keep the quicker players in front of him. Collison said he was most excited about playing next to him.

At least we get him back when our schedule turns tough. He may be a spark we will need. I expect him to come out on fire this year. I've always said it since the day we acquired him and Hibbert that it would be their third year they will come out on fire or sink. Hibberts on fire, I fully expect Rush to do the same. He will have a chip on his shoulder from all the people thworing the towel in on him. He also will be playing on a team that is light years ahead of the one last year, so he will benefit from the talent around him more than ever.

Droppin' knowledge, yo. Mackey_Rose's Avatar

I think it is very weird that multiple "in defense of Mike Dunleavy" threads are being created when he has pretty obviously been the worst of all the players getting big minutes through the first three games.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Mackey_Rose For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by bhaas0532 View Post
    Dunleavy is one of the few veterans we have on this roster, and his experience is needed. He knows what he is doing on the court, and will do whatever it takes for his team to win. undertands the "team" concept. Rush is still young and unproven, PG is too raw now. If we want to continue winning, Dunleavy is the guy at SG.

If we start losing big, then Leavy needs to take a seat so PG and Rush can develop. You got to strike the iron while its hot, and Dunleavy looks like a really good fit with this young group.

People ripping Dunleavy here really don't know the game of basketball.
    I'm sorry i could get to the end of the thread first, but I had to.

Bull****, everything you said is bull****. Just because he is a vet doesn't mean that his experience is needed. Do we need Foster and Posey to also be playing 25+ minutes a game because they are vets. No. Veteran leadership and experience is only something that becomes a factor is a few specific situations. Other than that the only place it really helps is in practice.

If Dunleavy really understood the team concept any better than anyone else he would understand that he needs to shoot less when he isn't shooting well, or he would have spent more effort on learning how to be a halfway decent defender. Yes, Dunleavy is a good passer, and that isn't a skill to be over looked. What else isn't to be over looked is his terrible shooting, and terrible defense. To say he is better for the team than Rush is purely wrong. Yes, Rush may not be as good of a passer, but he is a better defender and shooter. On top of that he tries to play within the offense like any team oriented player should.

It would appear to me that you don't really understand basketball as well as you think.

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Eleazar For This Useful Post:

PacerDude

Mike will probably be gone... his contract is huge...and he's old... and he plays bad defense.... Rush may be gone soon too... but that's just because he's a baby.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

And even with standardized testing people complain and say it's not about IQ it's about phsyical ability. And I'm directly talking about the NFL test. But that's beside the point.

What makes you think he isn't intelligent?

He doesn't get lost, and he understands the difference between a good open shot and a bad one. And that right there is his problem, and which is why I brought up JOb and the system.

JOb puts premium on taking open shots. How many times have I heard Clark or Quinn make the comment that Jim won't scold you for missing a shot, but he will for not taking one?

That's been my biggest issue with Jim. Taking a wide open 3 with 16 seconds left on the shot clock isn't always a good shot. Being aggressive is a fault half the time. I think Brandon understands that concept, and doesn't fit in, because he's not willing to just shoot shots because he can.

I find that extremely smart. He's not going to need the work when a new coach comes in, that a lot of the other players will need. Discipline is intelligence, to me.
    What you call discipline I call being timid, or worse lazy. How about instead of shooting the open three, or passing it away if its not there, putting it on the floor going towards the basket. Or even driving, drawing a defender and dishing. Or seeing an opening and cutting too it.

Dunleavy does these things. He sees openings in the defense and acts. Rush just stands there. Being passive is a fault a lot of the time.

And like I said, scoring isn't an issue, with or without Mike. Scoring is not a problem. The Pacers will score and they will score in bunches, with or without his cutting.

While it might lead to scores, directly or indirectly, those points are going to get produced in other ways if he's not on the floor. That's the nature of the beast. Their point production will NOT go down.
    I sincerely feel this not true. I definitely think our offensive balance is much better with him. We attack in many ways right now. Not just chucking 3s or watching Roy in the post. Replace Dunleavy with Rush and we lose a lot of versatility IMO.

I thought this wasn't about how many points Mike scored? I'm not trying to give you a hard time. I just don't think Mike is important offensively.

If you need Mike to score 18-19 points a game, the Pacers are in trouble, because that means either Danny, Roy, or DC aren't playing very well. You might as well throw in Tyler into that mix, because I see him as atleast a 2nd option with the backups.

They don't need Mike to score. They need him to shoot a high percentage and play good defense. Right now they're getting about 33% of that equation.

He's not shooting well, and the only thing good about his defense is his helpside.
    Clearly we don't need Mike to score 18-19. If we did we would be screwed. We'd be even more screwed if we needed Rush to score 18-19. In addition to defense, which I feel Mike is performing adequately right now, the starting group needs smart play. Someone to help board, and keep the offense flowing. Mike does need to improve his percentages. If his shot doesn't recover as the season progresses, one I'd be shocked, and then the team would need to start looking elsewhere. However if the team continues to win, don't fix what aint broken.
    All in for DG33

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Diamond Dave For This Useful Post:

Manu scored 22 points vs. the Pacers.

1st
    11:15off-the ball cut,3 pointer, Dunleavy
    7:28 lay-up, transition, none (both Dunleavy and Granger semi-contested the shot)
    6:13 3 free-throws, isolation, Granger

2nd
    7:31, transition 3 pointer, Granger
    4:13 off-the-ball cut 3 pointer, Granger
    1:21 transition 3 pointer, nobody (Dunleavy was the safety and was guarding Blair under the rim, Granger was on the other side of the court running the lan with Anderson, Hibbert was matched up with Manu)

3rd
    1:23 2 free-throws, isolation, Granger

4th
    10:16 cut, 3 pointer, George

--------

Only 3 of them were on Dunleavy.

That's said, he's a poor defender - not as bad as Murphy IMO and not worse than some other guys in the Pacers roster.

27. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to cordobes For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Eleazar View Post

Bull****, everything you said is bull****...

..It would appear to me that you don't really understand basketball as well as you think.
    A little extreme and personal, don't you think?

29. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to beast23 For This Useful Post:

Banned

I want Mike on the 2nd squad where he can lead and score more.
    We have enough offense (offensive potential anyway) that adding another strong defender will help us greatly.
    Don't look now but this COULD become a pretty good defensive team. And Brandon becomes a bigger piece then.
    Aside from defense, I saw a much more aggressive player in the practice clips. More moves into the paint, confidence in the jumper, which looked very fluid.
    I think Brandon will greatly strengthen this team if he's improved like it looked like he might be.
    Mike would be the perfect floor general for the 2nd team, initiating the offense when needed and letting AJ (after TJ is traded) play more of a shooting guard role from the point.
    Dunleavy/AJ/Hansbrough/George/Foster would be an awfully strong 2nd squad.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Mackey_Rose View Post
    I think it is very weird that multiple "in defense of Mike Dunleavy" threads are being created when he has pretty obviously been the worst of all the players getting big minutes through the first three games.
    What is your logical response to his 16pts and 9 rebounds in the last win?
    Oh and his +22 rating was 2nd on the team. By a bunch over #3.
    Yet he "pretty obviously been the worst of all the players", hmmmmmmm
    Or maybe some guys are just pretty bad at rating the real value of players when they aren't air walking dunkers.
    Last edited by MLB007; 11-02-2010 at 05:23 PM.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by MLB007 View Post
    What is your logical response to his 16pts and 9 rebounds in the last win?
    wats 16 and 9 have to do with defense?????????

My rankings of the players I have been the LEAST impressed with through 3 games:

1. Solomon Jones
    2. James Posey
    3. Mike Dunleavy

So yeah, he hasn't been the worst, but he gets more minutes than those other guys - I would like to see B. Rush, T. Hansbrough, and J. Foster get their minutes.

34. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nerveghost For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Eleazar View Post

Bull****, everything you said is bull****. Just because he is a vet doesn't mean that his experience is needed. Do we need Foster and Posey to also be playing 25+ minutes a game because they are vets. No. Veteran leadership and experience is only something that becomes a factor is a few specific situations. Other than that the only place it really helps is in practice.

If Dunleavy really understood the team concept any better than anyone else he would understand that he needs to shoot less when he isn't shooting well, or he would have spent more effort on learning how to be a halfway decent defender. Yes, Dunleavy is a good passer, and that isn't a skill to be over looked. What else isn't to be over looked is his terrible shooting, and terrible defense. To say he is better for the team than Rush is purely wrong. Yes, Rush may not be as good of a passer, but he is a better defender and shooter. On top of that he tries to play within the offense like any team oriented player should.

It would appear to me that you don't really understand basketball as well as you think.
    First and formost...watch your tone. There is no need for the harshness in the response. I am hopeful that an admin will tell you to tone it down. Anyway enough of that. This is the year where half of the posters sees what kind of player Mike is and half think he is terrible. You won't be able to change anyone's minds. A lot of it comes from Rush being a superb one on one defender and now Paul is in that mix. I specifically watch Mike during the games and I can see that he plays constant help defense and when JOB plays man to man that is when he is a liability. That is obvious. Also Mike is a good shooter, that is why he was drafted so high. He has moments where the guy can't miss, but what happens is when he has a bad shooting night the haters will come out and say how is not worth anything which is completely not true. There are two posters that I won't name that have a hard on for Paul George and Brandon Rush and will slam Mike at every chance they get. It gets tiresome to read their drivel and that is why they are on ignore. Ignore is a wonderful thing.
    JOB is a silly man

I'm not getting why we need Dunleavy for more scoring over what Rush gives us. What about watching Pacers games has led some of you to conclude that the defense is solid and we just need extra scoring? I'm seeing things very differently than some of you.