Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Who do you want at PF?

"I'm your huckleberry"

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Question Who do you want at PF?

Bird said the Pacers aren't done seeking trades. Who's out there for them to get? Lotsa love around here for Horford as an RFA next year, but who fits in a trade this year for TJ, Dunleavy, or DJones?
    Spoiler Spoiler:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Who do you want at PF?

Honestly, probably nothing that would be any better than what we have now.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

i think the salaries work for dunleavy/ford for josh smith. unfortunately, ATL is not in cost cutting mode, so...

think we won't be getting a starter quality PF until next year.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'm under the assumption that we'll go into the season with a PF rotation of Foster, Hansbrough, and McBob. I think Bird and Morway have to be pretty confident that Foster and Hansbrough are healthy, or else they wouldn't have traded away Murphy. I think we'll either try to make a move at the trade deadline for a true starting PF, or we'll wait until next summer and really go hard after Al Horford.
    Grown Man Ball

Quote Originally Posted by Frostwolf View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    i think the salaries work for dunleavy/ford for josh smith. unfortunately, ATL is not in cost cutting mode, so...

think we won't be getting a starter quality PF until next year.
    Agree, we need a PF like Josh Smith that can do everyting inside or outside, althletic, rebound, run the court and be able to play good defence.

Quote Originally Posted by SMosley21 View Post
    I think Bird and Morway have to be pretty confident that Foster and Hansbrough are healthy, or else they wouldn't have traded away Murphy.
    That makes absolutely no sense what so ever. You are basically saying that they wouldn't have traded away Murphy for possibly the teams future PG just to have one meaningless year of security at PF? The is a stupid concept that too many people on this board seem to fail to realize how stupid it is. I firmly believe this trade would have gone down no matter how healthy Foster or Hansbrough will be. It is too important to the teams future. So what if the team goes one meaningless year without a good PF, in the long run it is well worth it.

7. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Eleazar For This Useful Post:

http://www.basketballprospectus.com/...p?id=smithjo03

For what it's worth, the statistician who consults with the Pacers (Kevin Pelton of Basketball Prospectus) loved Josh Smith last year.

Posted a little too quickly, here is a more clear example:

http://www.basketballprospectus.com/...articleid=1073

"It still amazes me that Smith did not make the All-Star team. He is currently sixth in the league in WARP, and his total will probably end up the second best in the WARP era for players who did not make the All-Star team (Andre Miller, with 16.8 WARP in 2001-02, is the leader in that dubious category). Smith's net plus-minus is 16th in the league, and he's playing for a 50-plus-win team. I'm not sure I understand the argument against him."

Quote Originally Posted by Eleazar View Post
    That makes absolutely no sense what so ever. You are basically saying that they wouldn't have traded away Murphy for possibly the teams future PG just to have one meaningless year of security at PF? The is a stupid concept that too many people on this board seem to fail to realize how stupid it is. I firmly believe this trade would have gone down no matter how healthy Foster or Hansbrough will be. It is too important to the teams future. So what if the team goes one meaningless year without a good PF, in the long run it is well worth it.

I agree. If the Pacers were willing to go for mythical 1 year vet PG for one year, or stay pat with what they had at PG, what is the difference now at the PF position? Even if Hans and Foster's health isn't great, they still could start the season with McBob and Rolle at PF with Granger as well. No different than Stephenson and Price at PG, and this board was loaded with those that were willing to do just that.
    Last edited by Justin Tyme; 08-12-2010 at 08:10 AM.

This year we're probably not getting our long term solution at PF. I would really like to see the Pacers make a huge run at Horford next summer. For sure we're going to have to overpay him, for the simple fact that he's a restricted FA and any low or reasonable offer, ATL will match.

Something like 5 years $55-$60 million would be something we would have to offer

If we have a starting 5 of:
    Collison
    George
    Granger
    Horford
    Hibbert

We will be contenders in a few years. All the starters will be young and able to grow together
    "So, which one of you guys is going to come in second?" - Larry Bird before the 3 point contest. He won.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by MillerTime View Post
    This year we're probably not getting our long term solution at PF. I would really like to see the Pacers make a huge run at Horford next summer. For sure we're going to have to overpay him, for the simple fact that he's a restricted FA and any low or reasonable offer, ATL will match.

Something like 5 years $55-$60 million would be something we would have to offer

I may overvalue or overrate Horford, but I expect him to get 5yrs/$75M at the least. I'd say we'd need to offer him the absolute max for him to consider playing here. But we could presumably afford that given our potential cap space next offseason. I'd be 100% in favor of such an offer, for the record.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to spreedom For This Useful Post:

I thought I heard the max he can be offered is like 13 million a year. I may be totally off with this but just trying to remember. But horford is the guy I want on the team.

Carl Landry is the only possible option for a trade before the season. look at what kings need and what we have the trade makes sense. kings have dalembert and cousins their starting bigs. Landry comes off the bench but, they also have whiteside(pf) jackson(pf) and tompson(c). so they can afford to make a move with landry to get some wing help. their wings are casspi, garcia, greene, and wright. casspi looks to be the best at 22yrs old. So dunleavy would be a starter for them and i think he has somethin in the tank still. we could throw them dunleavy d.jones and mcbob or maybe rolle cause if we get landry then we can afford to lose a pf. i would choose mcbob before rolle though. i know some wouldn't but i think kings pacers trade is very possible. And even if they don't want to trade him he is an UFA next year. Horford, West, Landry thats the order we will go after those players next year if we have to wait till next year.
    Last edited by Pacers2012; 08-12-2010 at 08:39 AM. Reason: typo
    2012: Pacers return to glory

Paul George All Day

Doc, From where I sit, getting a PG was huge, in terms of domino effect for making other roster moves.

I don't see us going the season with the PF rotation we have, nor would I want us to. I think there are a couple of viable options out there that could involve Dunleavy or DJones. (TJ seems to not really be an option.)

Of course, the most glaring situation is the one in Detroit with Chris Wilcox, Jason Maxiell, Jerebko and Charlie Villanueva all fighting for minutes. Pistons were offering Wilcox and Maxiell earlier this summer. I don't see any of those guys being the answer. I view their fleet of PFs the same as I view our platoon of SF/SGs. Okay players, but not world beaters. Makes the most sense to me tradewise, but it would probably be a lateral move.

Actually, one move that makes a LOT of sense to me is Trying to obtain Brandon Bass. Orlando could certainly use more depth at SG/SF and if you look at their roster, They wouldn't miss Brandon and picking up MD, Jr or DJones gives them some nice insurance.

One who I like in terms of fitting in with our roster is Jordan Hill. He's a really, rugged young guy who I think hasn't found the right fit. I think his game would match up well with Hibbert and I think he would bring more to the position than what we currently have. Matter of fact, when I mentioned a few days ago that I think Roy needs a complimentary player to his skill-set, similiar to the Rik Smits/Dale Davis combo, I think Jordan is a sleeper candidate.

Now I'm thinking in terms of realistic scenarios, not super-blockbuster trades.

In terms of being unrealistic, but possible, the discontent in MInn with Love and the constant rumblings, I'd love to see Kevin Love come here.
    Last edited by Skaut_Ech; 08-12-2010 at 09:18 AM.
    Hey! What're you kicking me for? You want me to ask? All right, I'll ask! Ma'am, where do the high school girls hang out in this town?

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Skaut_Ech For This Useful Post:

Once again, I would rather the Pacers be extremely patience in getting the "right" player at PF. I don't want a stop gap player. Plus a year from now they will know better what Josh can do and whether Tyler can be counted on to play.

I will say I think Kevin Love is the exact opposite type of player we need. You have to look at what is the best complement to Hibbert and the last thing we need is an unathletic player to play alongside Roy. We need an athlete. a good defender, someone who can defend the more mobile big guys, cover the pick and roll, defend all over the court. That is what we need more than anything.
    Last edited by Unclebuck; 08-12-2010 at 09:29 AM.

19. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

Larry Nance

21. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to count55 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by count55 View Post
    Larry Nance
    In his prime he would be perfect next to Roy, that is exactly what we need. Athletic defender is what I want more than anything

23. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

In free agency I want Hortford none of the other bigs impress me.Another big that I would be interested in is Jason Thompson.He can play PF and center.The guy plays hard, runs the floor well.He''s still somewhat raw on the offensive end but still managed to put up 12pts and 8bds a game.I really like his potential and with the logjam they have at the 4 maybe he becomes available at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by Pacers2012 View Post
    Carl Landry is the only possible option for a trade before the season. look at what kings need and what we have the trade makes sense. kings have dalembert and cousins their starting bigs. Landry comes off the bench but, they also have whiteside(pf) jackson(pf) and tompson(c). so they can afford to make a move with landry to get some wing help. their wings are casspi, garcia, greene, and wright. casspi looks to be the best at 22yrs old. So dunleavy would be a starter for them and i think he has somethin in the tank still. we could throw them dunleavy d.jones and mcbob or maybe rolle cause if we get landry then we can afford to lose a pf. i would choose mcbob before rolle though. i know some wouldn't but i think kings pacers trade is very possible. And even if they don't want to trade him he is an UFA next year. Horford, West, Landry thats the order we will go after those players next year if we have to wait till next year.
    The thing about Laundry is he's a horrible rebounder.If you start Laundry and Hibbert you could have the worst rebounding front court in the league.He also isn't that great on the defensive end.He tries, he's just not very big or long and can't contest shots.It's a shame because the guy is a absolute scoring machine .I think he is better suited for a 6th man role then a starter.

Quote Originally Posted by count55 View Post
    Larry Nance
    I think I got in your subconscious I just said yesterday in the Troy Murphy appreciation thread that I wish we could find a Larry Nance type player to pair with Roy.

Quote Originally Posted by unclebuck
    I will say I think Kevin Love is the exact opposite type of player we need. You have to look at what is the best complement to Hibbert and the last thing we need is an unathletic player to play alongside Roy. We need an athlete. a good defender, someone who can defend the more mobile big guys, cover the pick and roll, defend all over the court. That is what we need more than anything.
    Yeah, I agree about needing an athletic, good defender. That was why I listed the guys above Love. They fit the profile better, BUT I like Love because I see the tools to being a strong presence at PF. I think the defense can be taught and the thing that strikes me about Love is his high basketball IQ. That tandem, with his youth, spells huge, realistic upside.

(I think of what Dan Majerle was able to do in his career with focusing on D, since he had the offensive tools already.)

Love is a strong passer, really strong rebounder and has range to the three point line. I think with his smarts and good coaching, his closes the gap in the one hole in his game. With Roy down low, Love has a great mid-range shot, or great hands for setting things up.

I just see Love being the type of player this organization could attract who has the style of game that would really benefit us. The rest of his game is pretty well rounded. Just like the Spurs coaching staff are able to turn average defenders into good ones, I think the same could happen to Love....with proper defensive coaching.

Just letting you know my mindset.
    Hey! What're you kicking me for? You want me to ask? All right, I'll ask! Ma'am, where do the high school girls hang out in this town?

Banned

I have a feeling that Posey is going to b the new strech forward

I would still like to see josh smith here. and then focus all our money on a top tier shooting guard.

A defensive player next to hibbert is what we need and you dont get much better than that.

I might get shot for this. Lets see how george does and potentially trade granger for that top tier sg.

Quote Originally Posted by Skaut_Ech View Post
    I think I got in your subconscious I just said yesterday in the Troy Murphy appreciation thread that I wish we could find a Larry Nance type player to pair with Roy.
    Actually, I've been thinking this for a while, now.

http://www.eightpointsnineseconds.co...ber-crunching/

A couple of random Pacer-related thoughts here. ... Second, for all of the clamoring for a Dale Davis to put next to Roy Hibbert, it strikes me that a Larry Nance-type (or at least the Larry Nance I remember) would probably be a much better fit.

Quote Originally Posted by nyballer31 View Post
    The thing about Laundry is he's a horrible rebounder.If you start Laundry and Hibbert you could have the worst rebounding front court in the league.He also isn't that great on the defensive end.He tries, he's just not very big or long and can't contest shots.It's a shame because the guy is a absolute scoring machine .I think he is better suited for a 6th man role then a starter.
    This all may be true, but you're underestimating the amount of starch he can bring to the team's character. Plus, I hear he gets very smooth when pressed.

31. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to count55 For This Useful Post:

Twitter: @SuprCityIndyFan PacerGuy's Avatar

I would LOVE the deal where we could trade TJ to Tor, Tor trades Calderon to Cha, & we get Dampier's unguarenteed deal (as rumored). By releasing Damp we get under the cap even more, giving us twice the options at the deadline! Then do a deal for someone like C.Wilcox (see below) & we look real good IMO.

I like C.Wilcox as a 1 yr stop-gap. Big body, athletic & is an expiring. Trade either Jones (both work) for him & we fits well. I like C.Landrey too, but we have wings to offer & they are heavy on wings. They could use TJ, but we would have to eat a contract & I dont see that taste good.

In 2011, I like Horford #1, Landrey #2 to sign outright, but a J.Smith deal could be nice too. Talk about an athletic team. I question his attitude & size a bit, but his numbers & athleticism is special.
    "Larry Bird: You are Officially On the Clock! (3/24/08)"
    (Watching You Like A Hawk!)