Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Odd Thoughts from the grave?(or home opener) [The Front Page]

Post Odd Thoughts from the grave?(or home opener) [The Front Page]

Odd Thoughts from the grave?(or home opener)
    Written by Peck

Link

As Ash said in Army of Darkness ďBuckle up Bonehead. ‘Cause you’re goin’ for a ride!Ē

The Pacers brought a little Halloween treat to the fans at the fieldhouse Saturday night and left the Philadelphia 76ers looking like the zombies from Night of the Living Dead. No Doug Collins that was not Frankensteinís monster that was Tyler Hansbrough.

So in honor of Halloween I give you the ghoulish version of Odd Thoughts.

Darren Collison took no time at all in introducing himself to the fans of Indiana. He began the night by harassing Holliday and knocking the ball loose 2 of the first 3 trips down the court and ended the night with 4 steals several deflections and one monstrous thundering one handed dunk that came out of nowhere and left me stunned in my seat. In all honesty I had no idea the little fella had that in him and was amazed he could not only get up there and dunk it one handed but do it with a defender running right at him.

It became obvious early that he was going to have a running interaction with the fans and he became very popular very quickly. His defense was much better than it was vs. the Bobcats however on occasion he still tends to ball gawk when his man doesnít have the ball. But overall he was superb and he definitely controls the tempo of the game when he is on the court. I hope that he stays happy in our offense but I do worry that his drop in assist numbers will impact how people around the NBA view him thinking that he is not doing something right and not realizing that our system is not set up for our point guards to get a lot of assists.

Speaking of treats (ok I wasnít speaking of treats but hey itís Halloween so sue me) Josh McRoberts provided the second treat dunk of the night. His one handed facial on Evan Turner pretty much set the Rookie back 20 games and he may wake up in the middle of the night screaming. I am beginning to think Josh needs to start naming his dunks ala Chocolate Thunder Darryl Dawkins. If nothing else on this dunk he should have yelled ďto infinity and beyondĒ.

Josh gave us another solid effort giving us 9 points to go along with 9 rebounds. He did have his shot blocked several times tonight but he was always on the floor going after loose balls, providing tough defense and blocking a shot. But the biggest treat of the night from Josh (well at least for me anyway) was that he is not Troy Murphy.

I canít tell you how much this one single change in our team has meant. Donít get me wrong other players have improved, Collision has been a great addition and looks like he can be the long term solution at the point guard spot but just changing the power forward position to a player who never quits on defense, always is going after loose balls and is willing to give up his body for a charge or in the post has completely changed the entire look and overall performance of our team. Roy no longer gets fouls because he has to cover both sides of the lane. Danny no longer has to worry about being moved into the 4 spot to have to sumo wrestle with large power forwards because we are no longer tempted to ďgo smallĒ and play a primarily perimeter based big man.

Moving on.

I am certain that Doug Collins was on the phone immediately after the game with the league office asking why they brought in officials from the ACC to work the game, well Iím certain at least it felt that way to him.

Tyler comes in, foul Philadelphia. Tyler takes a one handed throw it up from the hip shot from the corner that has no business going in but does, foul Philadelphia. If Tyler wasnít Frankensteinís monster he might very well have been some demon from the pit coming to steal Phillyís very basketball soul and believe me once he gets two hands on it nobody was going to get it back.

The only thing I really want to know is what flavor of power thirst that Tyler drinks before coming into a game?

I now want to provide a public service announcement on behalf of your Indiana Pacers.

We traded Jermaine OíNeal for Roy Hibbert.
    Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha haha

Sorry lost myself for a moment. We also got T.J. Ford in the deal and while it hasnít worked out the best for either the team or T.J. the past couple of seasons so far this year not only has he been a part of the club he has actually been a big part of our two wins providing leadership on the bench and to Darren Collison as well as solid on floor production.

But the lynch pin of that trade, for us anyway, was Roy Hibbert. A player who so far has only dedicated himself to improving every aspect of his game and who is proving that while not a top tier center in the NBA (yet) he is at the very top of the 2nd tier and if he continues to work and improve I have no doubt that he will rocket himself up to the top rung. Heck he may very well do it by the middle or end of this season; itís not out of the question.

He was just killing Spencer Hawes early in the game so to combat that Collins followed Larry Browns plan from the night before and brought in a quicker player and they attempted to keep the Pacers from getting Roy the ball in the post. That worked for about a quarter and a half but by the end it didnít matter Roy was just going and getting the ball himself.

I see that several people are now calling him the face of the franchise and I understand that he is popular (for good reason) with the fans but till proven otherwise there is still another player who holds the title franchise player and tonight like he has in the previous 2 games he has shown us why.

Danny Granger has been balling these three games and by balling I mean really actually playing basketball on both sides of the floor. He has gone back to guarding the best perimeter player on the opposing team and has been making effort to get down too rebound. He has also cut way back on the three point shooting showing that he is one of the best mid range shooters in the game and pulling out a Dr. J type under the board reverse shot tonight that drew an and 1 then immediately ran to the crowd in the corner to celebrate with them.

BTW would it be in bad taste to see if we could get a canned voice of Tinsley yelling ďand 1 mother****erĒ? Iím sure it would be but dang that could be funny at the right time. Well that and a video of him holding a dust pan, but I digress.

It wasnít all pleasant during the game though. Once again OíBrien brought in the same squad that gave us that collapse in San Antonio on opening night and once again they took a lead and turned it into a deficit. However the difference this time was that he didnít go back to them and he didnít stick with them. In fact after an abysmal performance both Solomon Jones & James Posey were never seen or heard from again (Iíll just assume that the Blair Witch got them in keeping with todayís Halloween theme)

Overall this was a great opening night especially in contrast to last seasons butchering at the hands of the Heat. I know we have started off recent seasons with a decent record I want to say though that this has a different vibe to it. Look I donítí mean to keep coming back to this over & over (well actually yes I do) but the subtraction of Troy Murphy from our lineup makes us so much more enjoyable to watch for me and the fact that both Tyler & Josh are bangers (Tyler being a literal brute) makes me giddy with joy. We are no longer the pushovers of the NBA. Teams will know when they walk off of the floor that they have been in a fight and I for one say itís about time.

Look letís be realistic here, we havenít beaten the Lakers or Celtics or even the new all mighty Heat. But we have now beaten two teams we needed to beat and almost beat a team that we probably had no business beating (yes if it wasnít for that collapse I think we could have pulled that out).

In other words we have played 12 quarters of basketball and by my account we have won 10 of the 12 quarters and actually looked good in 11 of the 12 (that one quarter in San Antonio was just brutal).

Some of that is great play, some of it is team chemistry and yes some of it comes from coaching. Letís be honest & give credit where credit is due here, he didnít have to stick with Tyler. He could have easily just said he isnít ready and used Posey all of those minutes. He could be using Danny at the 4 or God forbid Posey at the 5. But so far he hasnít. We have made an effort to get the ball inside, we donít shoot as many threeís as we have in the past and our defense when it works actually works quite well. So, so far, it would be really hard to gripe too much about him and in fact there is more to compliment than complain about.

But the season is still early.

Now onto the city of brotherly love for round 2.

2. The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to RoboHicks For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Default Re: Odd Thoughts from the grave?(or home opener) [The Front Page]

Quote Originally Posted by Peck
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    But the biggest treat of the night from Josh (well at least for me anyway) was that he is not Troy Murphy.

I canít tell you how much this one single change in our team has meant. Donít get me wrong other players have improved, Collision has been a great addition and looks like he can be the long term solution at the point guard spot but just changing the power forward position to a player who never quits on defense, always is going after loose balls and is willing to give up his body for a charge or in the post has completely changed the entire look and overall performance of our team. Roy no longer gets fouls because he has to cover both sides of the lane. Danny no longer has to worry about being moved into the 4 spot to have to sumo wrestle with large power forwards because we are no longer tempted to ďgo smallĒ and play a primarily perimeter based big man.
    Troy was a good stats guy, and he was very consistent, but I'm thinking we'll put the idea that he was better for this team than McRoberts/Hansbrough to rest very shortly. Addition by subtraction.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to imawhat For This Useful Post:

We still shot 24 three's which I think is a bit more than usual, we only hit 7 though. I think when we are hitting them we will take more. For example we shot 35 against Minny because we were hitting them.(16)

Buy the way you look deliriously happy in your picture.
    Last edited by Will Galen; 10-31-2010 at 05:32 AM.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I don't want to see you like this.

Mood

I now want to provide a public service announcement on behalf of your Indiana Pacers.

We traded Jermaine O’Neal for Roy Hibbert.
    Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha haha

I love it.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Day-V For This Useful Post:

We traded Jermaine O’Neal for Roy Hibbert.

We also traded Troy Murphy for Darren Collison.
    We drafted Roy Hibbert at 17
    We drafted Danny Granger at 17
    In a couple years we will be laughing about drafting Paul George at 10 while guys like Gordon Hayward and Aminu struggling to get into the starting lineup.

Larry Bird is an evil man.

I'll admit I have not read any posts after the game, and last night was the first time this year I have seen the team in person

I just have a few random thoughts.

Watching the team on TV is OK, you learn some things, but seeing them in person you learn so much more.

Through three games there has not been one second when I missed Troy Murphy, not at all not in the least not even for a millisecond.

At about the 4 minute mark of the second quarter Collison was beaten badly on a backdoor cut, I immedietely looked at O'Brien, he was disgustd and called for TJ to come into the game. This was during a stretch when Collison was doing well offensively. Darren was taken out because of defense, because he got lost defensively, because he wasn't locked in and made a mental mistake. I like that, I wish Jim would do that for all the players. Not suggesting a player be taken out if they just get beat defensively, but yes take them out for mental mistakes.

Pacers defense is going for more steals this year, last night especially in the third quarter they got up and were very aggressive, they dictated the play - that is what good defenses do.

I'm sure everyone noticed Posey and Solo played some in the first half and none in the second. I am hopeful we don't see either for a long, long time. Throughout the whole game the Pacers starters outplayed the Sixers starters, but late first quarter and early second, Posey and Solo were awful

overall the pacers seem more together, more tied together, playing more as a team, better player chemistry. And if anyone remembers last years home opener against the heat? No comparison to last night

here is something you cannot notice on TV. Granger looks quicker this year and his ballhandling (his biggest weakness offensively) has improved a lot. He looks better than I have ever seen him he was IMO by far the best player on the court last night - I don't know what his stats are.

That was a fun game to attend, the crowd was into the game, the players were exciting, easy to root for.

Couple last thing, through three games, offensively the Pacers only struggle when they take quick shots, quick threes. When they run their offense, either through Roy or through Danny good things happen. I love some of the halfcourt offense they are running this year - best by far since Rick was coach. I don't mind an occassionaly fastbreak three, but i think when the fatbreak isn't there, we get nto trouble with the one pass ans then a quick three. I would love to know our stats on thre point shooting after lets say 3 or more passes vs 1 pass I suspect it is 20% higher after 3 or more passes. Jim is a stats guy, he has to see that stat

George - I'm trying to damper my enthusiasm, but i think he has a chance to be a star player. I have no doubt he'll be our best defender within one or two seasons - i think that is a given. He also has a chance to be a 20 point a night scrorer. The combo of Danny and Paul I think is a combo that a team can be one of the best teams in the NBA. In two years, I think a foursome of Collsion, Danny, Paul, and Roy can be our core to a 55 win team. we need some help at PF, and depth, but I think the core can be really good.

Ok, I'm going to read other posts

Loved what I saw lst night. I know this is a love fest, but I am just looking at last nights game with the first two games a little. Team has a long way to go though, they will struggle and against the good teams the Pacers will just not be good enough. My wish right now is that the defense improves and the team can learn to trust the offense.

Oops, I forgot Tyler - no I could never forget tyler - he's my favorite. What I loved last night was he didn't try to force things offensively, he played within the system, didn't take bad shots, didn't play on an island. And when he does that the other parts of his game can really help the team. You cannot ever IMo truly put a value on what an effort player (and skilled) brings to a team. If he could, I want him to play 35 minutes a game, he makes the pacers better and the growth in not taking bad shots or trying to force things is remarkable
    Last edited by Unclebuck; 10-31-2010 at 07:16 AM.

11. The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    In two years, I think a foursome of Collsion, Danny, Paul, and Roy can be our core to a 55 win team. we need some help at PF, and depth, but I think the core can be really good.

Oops, I forgot Tyler - no I could never forget tyler - he's my favorite. . . . If he could, I want him to play 35 minutes a game, he makes the pacers better and the growth in not taking bad shots or trying to force things is remarkable
    Putting your two statements together my question is why you didn't include Tyler in your core group and 55 win team? An oversight?

Quote Originally Posted by RoboHicks View Post
    Odd Thoughts from the grave?(or home opener)
    Written by Peck

[url=http://www.pacersdigest.com/wordpress/?p=234]

It wasnít all pleasant during the game though. Once again OíBrien brought in the same squad that gave us that collapse in San Antonio on opening night and once again they took a lead and turned it into a deficit. However the difference this time was that he didnít go back to them and he didnít stick with them. In fact after an abysmal performance both Solomon Jones & James Posey were never seen or heard from again (Iíll just assume that the Blair Witch got them in keeping with actually yes I do)

Letís be honest & give credit where credit is due here, he didnít have to stick with Tyler. He could have easily just said he isnít ready and used Posey all of those minutes.

I love your post and agree with almost everything EXCEPT this. With 4 minutes to go in the 1st qtr Obie makes his first sub and who is it that come off the bench.....James Freakin Posey. Instantly our ability to play team defense goes south. Now I don't know why our coach can't see what the rest of Pacer nation can see but for some reason I feel he just has no confidence or faith in Tyler. It almost feels like he didn't agree with drafting him and loathes playing him. The first guy off your bench should be a high energy guy....someone who comes in and alters the pace and tempo of the game to an extent. Posey is not that guy.....Tyler is that guy to a (forgive me) Psycho T. Now all that being said, the beautiful thing is Tyler is one of those players that even a coach who dislikes him will find it impossible to keep him off the floor. He just won't be able to.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to makaveli For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by makaveli View Post
    I love your post and agree with almost everything EXCEPT this. With 4 minutes to go in the 1st qtr Obie makes his first sub and who is it that come off the bench.....James Freakin Posey.
    While technically true, that is a but misleading. at the 5;03 mark of the first quarter, Ford, George and Posey came into the game.

Posey only played 6 minutes total and none in the second half.

I don't expect to see Posey or Solo in the regular rotation anytime soon

Quote Originally Posted by Will Galen View Post
    Putting your two statements together my question is why you didn't include Tyler in your core group and 55 win team? An oversight?
    Im not sure Tyler's best role will always be off the bench as 6th man. We ight ned something more at powerforward. I just don't know yet. And keep in mind I'm a huge fan of Tyler

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

Oops, I forgot Tyler - no I could never forget tyler - he's my favorite. What I loved last night was he didn't try to force things offensively, he played within the system, didn't take bad shots, didn't play on an island. And when he does that the other parts of his game can really help the team. You cannot ever IMo truly put a value on what an effort player (and skilled) brings to a team. If he could, I want him to play 35 minutes a game, he makes the pacers better and the growth in not taking bad shots or trying to force things is remarkable
    This is the thing I was most pleased by in the past two games as well. In the few games he played last season, it appeared like he was trying to be UNC Tyler instead of NBA Tyler. It's become clear, to me at least, that he knows how to play the game, he puts in the work before the game, and when he gets his time, he wants to make the most of it. Last season, he tried to do too much too soon. Not anymore. I was pretty lukewarm on Hansbrough last year, but I'm warming up to him more and more.

Dang it, I forgot to add a funny story to my thoughts.

Last night, I think it was in the 3rd quarter, Mike Dunleavy drove the lane for a bucket and a foul. Well Dahntey Jones was so excited that he jumped out of his seat to cheer.

Now why is that funny you ask? Dahntey's warm up pants were hooked somehow to his chair and when he jumped up he ripped his pants off to which end I thought Lance Stephenson was going to have to be carried away laughing (he was actually crying over this).

This group of players is not only good but they are also fun and seem to really like each other as people.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Peck For This Useful Post:

I'll admit I have not read any posts after the game, and last night was the first time this year I have seen the team in person

I just have a few random thoughts.

Watching the team on TV is OK, you learn some things, but seeing them in person you learn so much more.

Through three games there has not been one second when I missed Troy Murphy, not at all not in the least not even for a millisecond.

At about the 4 minute mark of the second quarter Collison was beaten badly on a backdoor cut, I immedietely looked at O'Brien, he was disgustd and called for TJ to come into the game. This was during a stretch when Collison was doing well offensively. Darren was taken out because of defense, because he got lost defensively, because he wasn't locked in and made a mental mistake. I like that, I wish Jim would do that for all the players. Not suggesting a player be taken out if they just get beat defensively, but yes take them out for mental mistakes.

Pacers defense is going for more steals this year, last night especially in the third quarter they got up and were very aggressive, they dictated the play - that is what good defenses do.

I'm sure everyone noticed Posey and Solo played some in the first half and none in the second. I am hopeful we don't see either for a long, long time. Throughout the whole game the Pacers starters outplayed the Sixers starters, but late first quarter and early second, Posey and Solo were awful

overall the pacers seem more together, more tied together, playing more as a team, better player chemistry. And if anyone remembers last years home opener against the heat? No comparison to last night

here is something you cannot notice on TV. Granger looks quicker this year and his ballhandling (his biggest weakness offensively) has improved a lot. He looks better than I have ever seen him he was IMO by far the best player on the court last night - I don't know what his stats are.

That was a fun game to attend, the crowd was into the game, the players were exciting, easy to root for.

Couple last thing, through three games, offensively the Pacers only struggle when they take quick shots, quick threes. When they run their offense, either through Roy or through Danny good things happen. I love some of the halfcourt offense they are running this year - best by far since Rick was coach. I don't mind an occassionaly fastbreak three, but i think when the fatbreak isn't there, we get nto trouble with the one pass ans then a quick three. I would love to know our stats on thre point shooting after lets say 3 or more passes vs 1 pass I suspect it is 20% higher after 3 or more passes. Jim is a stats guy, he has to see that stat

George - I'm trying to damper my enthusiasm, but i think he has a chance to be a star player. I have no doubt he'll be our best defender within one or two seasons - i think that is a given. He also has a chance to be a 20 point a night scrorer. The combo of Danny and Paul I think is a combo that a team can be one of the best teams in the NBA. In two years, I think a foursome of Collsion, Danny, Paul, and Roy can be our core to a 55 win team. we need some help at PF, and depth, but I think the core can be really good.

Ok, I'm going to read other posts

Loved what I saw lst night. I know this is a love fest, but I am just looking at last nights game with the first two games a little. Team has a long way to go though, they will struggle and against the good teams the Pacers will just not be good enough. My wish right now is that the defense improves and the team can learn to trust the offense.

Yea that is something that I have noticed over the first three games as well. I didn't want to go to far overboard but this season when I've seen him drive & get deep he has been able to get his shot up with absolutely zero trouble.

I think people probably are not giving Danny enough credit for the games he has put together this season. I think that last season everybody was a little dissapointed in his performance (forgetting that he was injured) and so impressed by the work & effort Roy put in that Danny may now be being overlooked.

He is still the best player on the team and has proven through the first three games that he is one of the best player in the NBA (not superstar LeBron or Koby level but certainly in the second teir).

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

Custom User Titleist
    Another dimension, a dimension not only of sight and sound, but of mind.
    Mood

2-1 record! 1st place Central Division! Tied with Miami and Boston for 3rd in the East! One more game against the Sixers! A puncher's chance against Milwaukee! Cleveland coming up next Saturday, so another chance to win a game! Could be 5-3 by then! A great start to the year!

Sometimes energy and youthful exuberance are enough. Last night it was.

It was wonderful, and extremely entertaining, to see a college basketball game break out. I loved that aspect of the night.

As has already been mentioned, Posey has no business being on the floor at any time. Roll Jeff Foster out there in a wheelchair if need be, but do not, under any circumstances have James Posey on the floor. He not only is done, he has turned into a charcoal briquet. Solo is not much better, but what choice is there without Foster being dressed? It was truly sad to see Jeff in a suit last night on what likely was his last opening night in his NBA career.

The Good:

Tyler Hansbrough is emerging as the leader that we all have been clamoring for. He is the reason the energy was where it was last night, and he seems to be very much interested in doing what it takes to make sure that other players on the floor with him play better as a result of his being on the floor, including Josh McRoberts. My opinion has rapidly changed with respect to Tyler, who I have always liked anyway. I just had not properly recognized his potential to impact games through his sheer will and the infectious nature of his intensity.

Defense was played at times, and the officials even recognized and rewarded that effort with swallowing their whistles for them to an extent. The Pacers definitely had the better end of the officiating, and it lead to the win at the foul line, where the Pacers finally outscored somebody, this time 18 to 8, a margin of a whopping 10 points! Hopefully there is a trend towards more of that.

The Bad:

Shot selection and decision making were very poor, even when things were going the Pacers way during the energy runs. So much so that I am shocked that Collison was singled out for his defensive mistake. Had the same treatment been applied to everybody, there would have been points that it might have been difficult to have five guys on the floor. I am glad that didn't happen, obviously, and Collison should not have been singled out for that as much as his overall play, but O'Brien had no choice in that he had Price in a suit instead of on the bench. Collison scored, brought energy, and had the quickness defensively to catch the Sixers napping at the start of the game and a couple of times later, and that was better than Ford.

Against any team who would not be a contender for the worst record in the league, the Pacers would have died by the 3, and most specifically Dunleavy seems to have stepped into Danny's role from last year in being the player who is not physically capable of shooting the 3 who continues to regardless. Virtually every one clanked off the front of the rim, and that still indicates that he does not have sufficient lift during the course of games when he is spending more energy on other aspects of the game.

The ugly:

Posey should not play, ever. Solomon should not either, but again, if Roy cannot play 48 (and I don't want him to), and Foster can't go, there is no choice in my view. Ford should have been the inactive pg, and Price should have at least backed up Collison.

Overall:

Overall, the Pacers have much work to do on both sides of the ball, and I hope that is recognized by the coaching staff. The offense only moves well for short stretches, and makes poor decisions and shoots poor quality shots a lot. Defensively, the team still is very vulnerable to any team that runs a decent offense instead of being a collection of guys who just want to score (must be common amongst lesser quality teams).

Again a good start to the year. Unfortunately, the next 10 the Pacers will probably be 2-8. Next 10, possibly 4-6, so 11-17 by then. Then, 6-14 for next 20, (17-31), 5-5 hopefully for next 10, (22-36), and hopefully the usual flourish to the end of the year of 15-9 required to reach 37 wins, still an achievable objective though not tremendously likely, although it does fit the pattern under O'Brien.

Obviously, things could change due to trades or injuries, and things could improve if more help is acquired for Hibbert and Granger, or if the offensive philosophy is changed to more focus on getting to the line and shooting higher quality shots with fewer 3's. Equally likely in my view is a worse record along the lines of 30 or so wins. A work in progress with a lot of on the floor maturation to do on this very young team. I just hope O'Brien allows that to occur.

Enjoy this while it lasts!

Quote Originally Posted by RoboHicks View Post
    one monstrous thundering one handed dunk that came out of nowhere and left me stunned in my seat. In all honesty I had no idea the little fella had that in him and was amazed he could not only get up there and dunk it one handed but do it with a defender running right at him.
    This... Earlier in the game, maybe just 10 min before, he had a fast break where he was wide open and laid it in. I thought to myself, well, I guess he can't dunk, or can't do it consistently.

Then out of nowhere he comes down the court and throws it DOWN. Conseco just exploded, and I was part of it. Caught me off guard.

I'm beginning to think we could be a mini-Thunder. We have one of the most prolific scorers in the NBA and have loaded ourselves with solid players who were winners in college. Like UB, I think the core of DG/Hibbert/Collison/George is going to be nasty for many years to come. It looks like McRoberts/Hansbrough is going to be a solid PF combination for years to come. We don't need a PF who is a prolific scorer - we have plenty of scoring - we just need guys who are bangers and that's exactly what those two are.

Last night was a great game to attend in person. The crowd was very into the game and I really appreciate how the Pacers have tried to create a fun atmosphere. The new introductions were sweet with the players standing in a circle and i was cool when Roy addressed the crowd. He's certainly a crowd favorite. And I can't say how much I love that new LED band that goes around the arena. I've always wanted those.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by DCforMVP View Post

We also traded Troy Murphy for Darren Collison.
    We drafted Roy Hibbert at 17
    We drafted Danny Granger at 17
    In a couple years we will be laughing about drafting Paul George at 10 while guys like Gordon Hayward and Aminu struggling to get into the starting lineup.

Larry Bird is an evil man.
    i watch the clipps a lot and vinney just isnt playing Aminu. he has played 1min in two combined games. There starting 3 is really bad(Ryan Gomes) also PG24 would be starting for the clipps.
    Last edited by pacer4ever; 10-31-2010 at 12:04 PM.

I'm just glad we've won the two games in our "weight class." If we can consistently beat teams like the Sixers and Bobcats this season, we've got a shot at the playoffs. I agree that we'll regularly be outclassed by the elite and many of the good teams in the league. Would love to see a back-to-back win against the Sixers on Wednesday.

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post
    i watch the clipps a lot and vinney just isnt playing Aminu. he has played 1min in two combined games. There starting 3 is really bad(Ryan Gomes) also PG24 would be starting for the clipps.
    I was pretty impressed with rookie James Alexander for the Spurs. What did you guys think?

ďPeople talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but heís really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.Ē óLarry Brown

Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    Dang it, I forgot to add a funny story to my thoughts.

Last night, I think it was in the 3rd quarter, Mike Dunleavy drove the lane for a bucket and a foul. Well Dahntey Jones was so excited that he jumped out of his seat to cheer.

Now why is that funny you ask? Dahntey's warm up pants were hooked somehow to his chair and when he jumped up he ripped his pants off to which end I thought Lance Stephenson was going to have to be carried away laughing (he was actually crying over this).

This group of players is not only good but they are also fun and seem to really like each other as people.
    You see, this is a reason I really like Dahntay, and partially don't want him to leave.

I've let it known how I feel about Lance, but Dahntay seems to have clearly taken him under his wing a bit. (This is the second Lance/Dahntay interaction I've heard of recently) He seemed to do the same for, at the very least, AJ last season.

There was also a quote by Dahntay in the star. Dun and Danny and TJ were talking about the lockout and what's good for the NBA and what not, and Dahntay talked about how he was trying to help the younger guys prepare for the possibility.

He's also the biggest cheerleader on the bench, no matter if he's dressed or not.

I think, in the right system and the right role he could be good for us. And I see a quality veteran leader there..which this team doesn't have. I just like the guy. :P

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by McKeyFan View Post
    I was pretty impressed with rookie James Alexander for the Spurs. What did you guys think?
    James Anderson...

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Sobchak View Post
    James Anderson...
    Yeah, him.

ďPeople talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but heís really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.Ē óLarry Brown

I will say most if not all of my frustration during the game last night was from the Pacers often poor shot selection. Let me be clear, there is a big difference between taking bad shots because bad shots are all that you are capable of getting - either because the opponents defense is just too good, or poor offensive players, or even a poor offensive system - but last night it was simply from players not willing to trust the offense and to be patient. When they trusted the offense and eachother the Pacers were able to get vry makable shots. Sixers could not stop us, we stopped ourselves

Droppin' knowledge, yo. Mackey_Rose's Avatar

Im not sure Tyler's best role will always be off the bench as 6th man. We ight ned something more at powerforward. I just don't know yet. And keep in mind I'm a huge fan of Tyler
    We do have something more there in McRoberts.