Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pacers' Paul George settling in (Indystar)

Default Pacers' Paul George settling in (Indystar)

Pacers' Paul George settling in
    -Mike Wells
    http://www.indystar.com/article/2010...ge-settling-in

Brandon Rush's five-game suspension to start the season has given rookie Paul George an opportunity to not only be part of the rotation but also give the Indiana Pacers coaches and fans a good look at the first-round pick.

George is averaging 6.7 points and 3.3 rebounds in 21 minutes a game as the first wing player off the bench.

"It's starting to get better," George said. "I'm not fully comfortable yet. I'm still trying to learn my shots and when to take them within the offense."

George likely wouldn't be getting many minutes if Rush had not been suspended for failing the league's mandatory drug test three times.

Rush is eligible to return from his suspension Nov. 9 against Denver, but coach Jim O'Brien plans to continue with a three-man rotation at the wing. Starters Danny Granger and Mike Dunleavy are the other two wings in the rotation.

"Brandon will be the second wing off the bench with a coach that only wants to play three wings," O'Brien said. "There will be times where Brandon gets an opportunity. If Paul is not guarding and guys are going by him, I will sub Brandon in for him in a second. If Paul's turning the basketball over, I'll sub (for) him."

George's rookie jitters only lasted a game. He followed a 1-of-5 shooting performance against San Antonio in the opener by going 3-of-6 from the field in each of the past two games.

O'Brien said George is working on developing a better understanding of when to dribble the ball and also working on certain areas of his defense.

"I think he's pretty far along for a 20-year-old," O'Brien said. "He doesn't get transition defense yet. The other thing offensively is he doesn't understand the best use of the dribble. He can make real good strides if he can improve on those things."

A demanding workout

A three-day gap between games allowed O'Brien to give his players Sunday off, then put them through a grueling practice Monday that included a number of wind sprints.

"We also ran a lot of fast break drills before practice," O'Brien said. "We have to take advantage of it every chance we have to get some conditioning in with more than one day in between games. I want us to be one of the better- conditioned teams in the league."

Ford sits out practice

Backup point guard T.J. Ford did not practice Monday as a precaution because of soreness in his left hamstring. He plans to play Wednesday at Philadelphia.

"He's still fighting the issue he had with the hamstring in the preseason," O'Brien said.

Ok so no reference to Dunleavy's defense? How about him getting pulled everytime he misses his assignment (yes, thus keeping him out most of the game).

And wouldn't it be far more productive to give AJ TJ's minutes if he's still recovering? Even if he is being showcased, I'm guessing other teams would like to see him healthy if/when they trade for him. Either the Pacers are trying to show TJ's worth to the Pacers to other teams, actually think it's best to play him, or are letting AJ fully recover before playing him.
    Last edited by Pacerfan; 11-02-2010 at 01:32 AM.

Default Re: Pacers' Paul George settling in (Indystar)

Seriously, TJ's hamstring is going to bother him, until he actually rests it until its healed. The Pacers staff should know this. And I'm not even saying this as a perso that would prefer to see Price play..honestly, this is just the truth. It won't recover (and will probably get worse) until it's healed...isn't that going to make him harder to trade?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Sookie For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Sookie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Seriously, TJ's hamstring is going to bother him, until he actually rests it until its healed. The Pacers staff should know this. And I'm not even saying this as a perso that would prefer to see Price play..honestly, this is just the truth. It won't recover (and will probably get worse) until it's healed...isn't that going to make him harder to trade?
    Yeah, I think you are

If it's a nagging, non-serious injury then I think teams would rather know that he can play (effectively) through it. TJ has played pretty well so far, exactly what you want out of a backup point guard. I see no reason to make a change until he stops being effective or his injury gets to the point where he can't play.

As for the article...nothing groundbreaking. I like Paul George's game, and think he has real potential. I hope he doesn't lose all his minutes when our resident potsmoker returns from his suspension.
    Last edited by cdash; 11-02-2010 at 01:30 AM.

Pacers 4 Life.31 and only Pacers4Life's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

^^ Ha ha i thought so too... This is... good news to me. Kinda. I want to see rush but not at the expense of missing paul. I really think Paul will be great one day. And the sooner that day gets here depends a lot on this year... In his case... IMO...
    Reggie Miller is a God. Period.

Passion. Pride. Pacers.

It's ALWAYS Miller Time.
    #31 & Only

crazy shinaniganz BringJackBack's Avatar

I think that Paul George should be more aggressive. I don't think this will be a problem in the future, but he can really shoot over anyone and get any shot over the rim if he REALLY wanted to.

As much crap as everyone, including myself, has given JOB, I do think that a Monday extreme-workout Monday is great for this team. This should keep us from getting too arrogant and coming into Philly getting blown out or something completely unexpected like that.

Oh, and Rush. I do think that Mike has not lost his spot yet. Sure his played like crap, but it's only been three games. It would not be fair to take the spot away from him unless he's doing something unethical on the basketball court or whatever. Have Rush and George be the 2 and 3 off the bench, and give them plenty of minutes and lower Mike's minutes. If Mike continues to play like crap, start playing Rush or George late in the fourth to make up for Mike's bad legs.

If it were my choice though, Brandon would be starting right now with George being the 2 off the bench and Mike being the 3 off the bench.

I have no problem with this because I believe George is going to be the better player in the long run so he needs to get as much game time as possible.
    "I've got an idea--an idea so smart that my head would explode if I even began to know what I'm talking about." - Peter Griffin

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

We have backup at PG so TJ shouldn't have to be forced if he's not feeling well.

Darren is getting the majority of the minutes and we have AJ who can back him up if TJ can't play.

As for Paul he definitly looks good and is fitting in well which is great. Maybe we can see him play more next to Danny. Both guys play similar.

Droppin' knowledge, yo. Mackey_Rose's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pacerfan View Post
    Rush is eligible to return from his suspension Nov. 9 against Denver, but coach Jim O'Brien plans to continue with a three-man rotation at the wing. Starters Danny Granger and Mike Dunleavy are the other two wings in the rotation.

"Brandon will be the second wing off the bench with a coach that only wants to play three wings," O'Brien said. "There will be times where Brandon gets an opportunity. If Paul is not guarding and guys are going by him, I will sub Brandon in for him in a second. If Paul's turning the basketball over, I'll sub (for) him.
    I don't have a problem with him playing a three-man wing rotation.

I do have a problem with not playing the best three for this team. Start Granger and Rush, bring George off the bench. It seems so easy.

Similarly, I didn't have a problem with his three-man big-man rotation he went with in the 2nd half of Saturday's game, because he got the right three in there.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mackey_Rose For This Useful Post:

I think Mike's defense has been really good the first 3 games. He gets the lesser wing, but even on switches, he's held his own, imo. Nothing flashy like steals or blocks, but he's contesting shots and helping/switching when needed.

12. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Speed For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Speed View Post
    I think Mike's defense has been really good the first 3 games. He gets the lesser wing, but even on switches, he's held his own, imo. Nothing flashy like steals or blocks, but he's contesting shots and helping/switching when needed.
    That is exactly what I have seen him not do far too often.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Mackey_Rose For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Mackey_Rose View Post
    I don't have a problem with him playing a three-man wing rotation.

I do have a problem with not playing the best three for this team. Start Granger and Rush, bring George off the bench. It seems so easy.

Similarly, I didn't have a problem with his three-man big-man rotation he went with in the 2nd half of Saturday's game, because he got the right three in there.
    Does seem pretty simple. Hibbert, Hans, and Josh 3 man rotation for the 4/5. Granger, Rush, and George 3 man rotation at the wing. Collison gets the lion share of the minutes at the point with AJ picking up the balance. 8 man rotation. No problem.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cinotimz For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by cinotimz View Post
    Does seem pretty simple. Hibbert, Hans, and Josh 3 man rotation for the 4/5. Granger, Rush, and George 3 man rotation at the wing. Collison gets the lion share of the minutes at the point with AJ picking up the balance. 8 man rotation. No problem.
    Jim O'Brien has always thought hitting the ball off a tee was for little girls.

If you don't pepper in some curveballs, you're just not trying.

Custom User Titleist
    Another dimension, a dimension not only of sight and sound, but of mind.
    Mood

So, based on past experience with O'B coupled with his words to the media, Paul George will either be off the floor or playing 30+ minutes, very soon. My guess is he will be off the floor, which is too bad. O'Brien benches young guys, especially rookies, for mistakes, and George makes a lot of those. He is fun to watch when he has everything going, and not just making shots. He is an exceptional athlete, possibly the best athlete on the team. He needs to be on the floor, with Rush and Dunleavy giving up some minutes to compensate.

And, it seems like O'Brien is continuing to play vets through injuries when it is not necessary to do so, with Ford being the one this time. Ford needs to take a couple of weeks off to let that hammy rest and heal. If you can't practice, where practice determines minutes if talent levels are close, you shouldn't be played.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Brad8888 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Pacerfan View Post
    Ok so no reference to Dunleavy's defense? How about him getting pulled everytime he misses his assignment (yes, thus keeping him out most of the game).
    Actually Mike Dunleavy rarely ever misses an assignment. Although maybe we have a different definition of what missing an assignment means. To me it means a mental mistake, or not knowing where to be, not knowing who to switch too or switch from.

Getting beat one-on-one because the guy you are guarding is quicker, taller, or just better is not IMO missing an assignment.
    Last edited by Unclebuck; 11-02-2010 at 10:21 AM.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

I am glad JOB is going to keep letting George be part of the rotation, but it looks like he will be on a short leash.
    I am also excited to see what B.Rush is going to bring to this team. We will have to see how B.Rush plays with Collison(who said he wants to help make him a better player), and how he plays with George. I could see those to two on the court together.

JOB is saying he has a set three-man wing rotation with Rush out of it? That means Rush will be in the starting lineup within a week of his return.

Mood

Mike is like James Posey. He doesn't play because he produces, he plays because he does what Jim wants him to do. Doesn't matter if the shots don't go in, doesn't matter if his man gets passed him. As long as he's on the right spots at the right time, he'll play. Only way that changes is if Rush can hit the same marks as Mike while also producing more. If he's producing, but doing so with his talent making up for his mental mistakes with regards to the game plan, it won't matter.

25. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by MTM View Post
    JOB is saying he has a set three-man wing rotation with Rush out of it? That means Rush will be in the starting lineup within a week of his return.

JOB isn't giving anything to Rush. He is going to have to earn it. Dunleavy will be starting for the forseeable future. Rush is going to have prove he is ready to play on the court. George is looking good and looked best on Saturday night. Goerge is getting more comfortable palying with this team and in the NBA. Rush is going to have to step it up if he wants to get minutes.

I hope the best for rush and hope he does come back and get playing time and maybe, just maybe, we will be able to deal Dunleavy for something at the deadline.

I just think Dunleavy is playing really good supplemental basketball so far this year. He's not demanding the ball, he's allowing other players to do what they do, since he's kind of a constant. Mikes is going to be where he should and doing what he's supposed to do in the grand scheme. This allows other players to be effective in doing the more prominent stuff, like Roy scoring in the post, Danny driving to the basket.

I guess I'm saying is he doesn't set the world on fire, but he doesn't make mistakes either. While not sexy, it does help the greater good. A good example of this is his increased rebounding. With this group, it's kinda nice to have a constant in there.

Before it was a detriment because you lacked talent for a solid guy to be effective, you needed more from him, now with that first unit, it's nice to have that constant.

To break it down a step further, with Mike, you WILL get good post feeds, solid ball handling, good decision making, he'll be where he's supposed to be. Will you get that with Brandon? If you get some of it, but not all of it, is it offset by the stuff Brandon does better than Mike?

I mean I don't know, I'm just saying you don't need Mike to hit home runs, just singles. With Brandon you get some more home runs, but many more strike outs too.

Ideally you'd like Brandon to not hurt you, since I think he's the physically more gifted player, I just don't think we've seen it from him very often for very long.

Put it this way, Mike doesn't have to just stand in the corner waiting for the ball on offense, he can do other stuff.

I think Mike makes the other 4 guys better than Rush does.

Maybe Brandon's understanding has and application of skills has improved, if so, I'm all for it. If not, I'm good with Mike, so far.

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Speed For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    Yeah, I think you are

If it's a nagging, non-serious injury then I think teams would rather know that he can play (effectively) through it. TJ has played pretty well so far, exactly what you want out of a backup point guard. I see no reason to make a change until he stops being effective or his injury gets to the point where he can't play.

As for the article...nothing groundbreaking. I like Paul George's game, and think he has real potential. I hope he doesn't lose all his minutes when our resident potsmoker returns from his suspension.
    Nope, I'm saying this after Uconn's origianal starting PG last season didn't play for a month, because Geno Auriemma came out and said "if you don't let hamstring injuries heal for good, they'll become a serious issue throughout the year." And I feel like I've seen enough of both coaches to know which coach makes better decisions. :P

Maybe pros view the body differently and play "through it" but once again..it's short sighted. If he spends the first part of the season not being able to play once every two weeks, he's not going to look as good trade wise. And if the hamstring gets worse he's not going to look as good trade wise. And the issue could have probably been completely healed if he was sat for an extra two/three weeks.

As for George..I expect him to be out of the rotation. (We'll probably start seeing some TJ at the two as well, too make sure that Rush's minutes are still limited. ) Which will be a shame. He's gonna be quite good. And if played and taught correctly, he could be "quite good" by the end of the year.
    Last edited by Sookie; 11-02-2010 at 11:11 AM.

An 8 man rotation playing at the pace this team plays at is not feasible over the long haul of an NBA season. He's going to need to throw some other guys into the mix, especially in back-to-back and 3 in 4 type situations.

I've said it before, but I really think the way to get our best players on the floor is to have Danny play a few minutes at PF, go small and work Rush into the wing rotation.

Also, I like Dunleavy, but he's at his best when he's in constant motion offensively, and I don't think he can do that for 30+ mpg. I'd like to see him at 20 minutes and give Rush 10 mpg when he comes back.
    "A man with no belly has no appetite for life."

- Salman Rushdie

You don't continually play through hamstring injuries, that's how they get TORN. Also, if you know you're backup PG is fighting an injury and could go down at any minute, and that's not hyperbole, wouldn't it be a good idea to have a 3rd PG atleast dressed?

I'm not going to argue whether or not TJ should just be sat down, but you should atleast have a backup plan, especially if Foster isn't going to get any PT.

32. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:

[QUOTE=mellifluous;1088339]

An 8 man rotation playing at the pace this team plays at is not feasible over the long haul of an NBA season. He's going to need to throw some other guys into the mix, especially in back-to-back and 3 in 4 type situations. /QUOTE]

I "totally agree' and have felt this way since Jimmy started coaching. I said last week an 8 man rotation was too exhausting on the players. Someone else disagreed which is fine, but I still feel a 9-10 man rotation is best.

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    You don't continually play through hamstring injuries, that's how they get TORN. Also, if you know you're backup PG is fighting an injury and could go down at any minute, and that's not hyperbole, wouldn't it be a good idea to have a 3rd PG atleast dressed?

I'm not going to argue whether or not TJ should just be sat down, but you should atleast have a backup plan, especially if Foster isn't going to get any PT.

I can't disagree, but if Ford was hurt while Price wasn't dressed Dunleavy will be the b/u PG. I'm not looking forward to seeing Dunleavy playing PG anymore than I was Quis.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Tyme View Post
    I can't disagree, but if Ford was hurt while Price wasn't dressed Dunleavy will be the b/u PG. I'm not looking forward to seeing Dunleavy playing PG anymore than I was Quis.
    To be fair Foster did play some
    Point guard in kindergarten