Thread: IndyStar: Offense running through Hibbert

Hybrid View

Default IndyStar: Offense running through Hibbert

http://www.indystar.com/article/2010...ion-for-Pacers

Hibbert: Center of attention
    Pacers are content to run their offense through improving 7-2 big man
    Written by Mike Wells

Passing out of the post was one of the things the Indiana Pacers were worried about with Roy Hibbert in the preseason.

Hibbert, the up-and-coming third-year center, had a tendency to hold the ball without looking for cutters as he made his move to the basket.
    He's now showing signs of better reading the defense.

The 7-2 Hibbert led the team in assists the past two games. He had 11 assists and only three turnovers in the two Pacers victories.

"When I'm in the post, (assistant coach) Vitaly (Potapenko) tells me to take my time, see how the defense is playing and find the open man," Hibbert said. "So I'm going to let the defense come to me and then I'll find the open guy or make a move to the basket."

Coach Jim O'Brien wants his offense to go through Hibbert in the post, but he also plans to run the passing game, which involves a lot of moving and cutting to the basket.

It's critical that Hibbert gets the ball to teammates cutting to the basket or on the perimeter.

He threw two nice passes to Mike Dunleavy on cuts to the basket and made Philadelphia guard Jrue Holiday pay for leaving Darren Collison when he found the point guard for an easy layup in Saturday's victory.

"I've repeatedly said we're going to play through Roy and that's because he's a unique big man," O'Brien said. "He's effective in the low post. He can spot up and shoot and he's also a terrific passer and willing passer. Our guys know that.

"When you have a big guy who is going to have his hands on the ball a lot, you know if your guy turns his head, cut to the basket and he'll get you the basketball. That's a great weapon."

O'Brien hasn't needed to limit Hibbert's minutes because of conditioning or foul trouble.

Hibbert has played at least 33 minutes in each of the first three games.

"I think Roy is playing well," O'Brien said. "What doesn't show up in the stat sheet is the number of shots he's adjusting. I think he's doing a solid job defensively. I would like to see him become a dominating rebounder. Hopefully that will come in the future."

Gang rebounding

Led by Hibbert's 13 rebounds, the Pacers had four players with at least seven against Philadelphia.

Dunleavy and Josh McRoberts had nine rebounds each and Tyler Hansbrough had seven.

The Pacers said it will take gang rebounding if they expect to succeed in that area.

The Pacers have four players -- Hibbert, Dunleavy, Hansbrough and McRoberts -- averaging at least five rebounds a game. Danny Granger's 4.3 average is expected to increase as the season goes on.

"I was able to get a few more rebounds because Troy Murphy wasn't here," Dunleavy joked.

Etc.

The Pacers scored at least 40 points in the paint for the first time this season when they had 46 on Saturday. . . . The Pacers and 76ers meet again Wednesday in Philadelphia. The Pacers are 12-5 in their past 17 games against the 76ers.

Default Re: IndyStar: Offense running through Hibbert

Gang rebounding...just doesn't sound good. Guess I have a perverted mind. I prefer the term "crashing the boards". They've got a long way to go though, cause they give up a ton of offensive boards.
    Lance + Starting SG = Awesome

Now really free Lance!

Quote Originally Posted by Sparhawk View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Gang rebounding...just doesn't sound good. Guess I have a perverted mind. I prefer the term "crashing the boards". They've got a long way to go though, cause they give up a ton of offensive boards.
    I thought the same...well, I'm not a native speaker (so I might be wrong), but gang rebounding sounds weird to me.
    Thank you Jeff.

Yeah, I'm a Pacers fan. MyFavMartin's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

FEED THE HIPPO!

I think two areas available for continued improvement with Hibbert in the post is teaching the post-feeder (typically a wing) to fire in a bullet pass to Roy early in the possession when Roy makes his first flash across the lane. A lot of times, Roy is able to pin his defender under the basket on his first flash across the lane. The team missed 2-3 opportunities to do this in the Philly game, and when the ball was later entered into the post, Roy was much farther out.

The other area available for improvement is hitting Roy on a post-up in the secondary fast break before the defense gets settled. Roy hustles his way down the court and is not getting rewarded enough by his wing players and pg. If he is not at the high post on the secondary break, he can typically get to his spot on the low block before his defender can get there just because he out-hustles the guy to the spot. That creates switches for the defense and mismatches for the entire possession.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MTM For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Dunleavy
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I was able to get a few more rebounds because Troy Murphy wasn't here

Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Yeah, I'm a Pacers fan. MyFavMartin's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

In general, I think there needs to be more movement when Roy gets the ball. I notice that when he's in the low post in particular, players are standing around. Collison had a nice cut the other night down the middle of the lane when his man (Lou) went to double. It'd be nice to see some weakside picks/backscreens and hard cuts.

Roy's coming along nicely, but I think he needs to put more work in the low post moves. He seems to know what he wants to do... he just needs to get to the point where it's automatic (and thereby faster).

FEED THE HIPPO AND THE HIPPO WILL FEED YOU!