Thread: Greg Oden won't be re-signed

Default Greg Oden won't be re-signed

This is my first post and I thought why not talk about and Indiana boy.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=5746523

Should Indiana be interested in Oden? Portland didn’t pick up his option and will become a redistricted free agent but he make 6.7 million. This got me thinking, should the Pacers be interested. We all know about his health issues but we wouldn’t be asking for him to live up to his hype being the first pick in the draft. What about just playing those 6-10 min that Posey and Solo are getting. (But I hope that is not the case for the rest of the season ) But Posey and Oden make roughly the same money and a trade would work. But it would seem to me that Portland would want more but how much more. Would a 2nd round pick spruce up the deal or would they want more but then would it really be worth it. But then again if Oden didn’t work out or continued his “health issues” that is still 6-7 mill coming off the books. I don’t know maybe I am just thinking this way because Oden in from Indiana and would like to see some production out of the young fella, and not be the next Sam Bowie.

What do you think, do you invest in Oden for the right price and what really is that price?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Greg Oden won't be re-signed

Just because Portland did not pick up his option does not mean that they don't wish to retain him. They just don't elect to pay him 6.7M next season.

I doubt they will trade Oden, but instead will hope that the highest offer for him as a restricted free agent will be much less than the 6.7M so they can match.

Unless he plays this season and does some really good things, I doubt any team would want to pay him anything close to 6.7M... at least not for a contract of any duration.

If Oden shows this year that he can play consistent minutes for the majority of the season and play well, I wouldn't mind it at all. I would love to see the Pacers bring him in with a deal similar to the one Portland gave Mathews and let him back up Roy and matchup with big teams like LA and Boston. He wouldn't have to play major minutes, thus increasing his chances of staying healthy. But if he could stay healthy, he would be a tremendous asset to anyone just as a defensive presence alone.

But he needs to show he can stay healthy.

Yeah, they should. The Pacers will have the cap space and can take a risk on the hometown hero with HUGE upside still. Hibbert + Oden and we are set for a long, long time.

Quote Originally Posted by Taterhead View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That says it all...
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by LatinoHeat View Post
    This is my first post and I thought why not talk about and Indiana boy.
    Welcome!

About Oden, I'd be too concerned about his injury history to invest too much into him. But some team will overpay him.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Here's how I would approach it, and I haven't seen this idea yet.

Give Oden a two year deal with a one year team option for the third. Pay him over $6.7 million because obviously since Portland didn't pick up his option they don't plan to pay him over that. Pay him enough to come here, around 7 million for two-three years, and if it's he still sucks and he's still made of glass, he's an expiring contract after that first year and we have no more issues. If he's a beast, keep him around three years and try to retain him while LB wins executive of the year. We get a low post presence and Jeff Foster like rebounder with shot blocking ability and hops (I hope nowadays anyways).

I also suppose that he would like to come here and play with our players and get back home. If healthy, obviously, he would be a tremendous third big playing 24 minutes a game or whatever.

We seriously don't have to sign him for 5 years or anything. I want to see what you guys think about that idea.

Yeah, I'm a Pacers fan. MyFavMartin's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Welcome.

This topic was discussed earlier:
    http://www.pacersdigest.com/showthread.php?t=57702

Flipped Off The Refs Larry Staverman's Avatar
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by LatinoHeat View Post
    Portland didn’t pick up his option and will become a redistricted free agent but he make 6.7 million.
    Not Exactly. Portland only declined to extend his contract beyond this year. Actually there was no option to pick up for next year. Oden is in the final year of his 4 year rookie deal.

The 6.7 million is the amount of the qualifying offer Portland needs to make by July 1 next year to keep him as a restricted free agent.

My guess is if he stays healthy this year and plays well any offer than is not overboard will be matched by Portland if they don't make an offer to him first.

Most of us would cry our for him to prove he can stay healthy

If he does this then he will be out of our price range either the blazers retain him or somebody over pays him.

Our best shot would be hope that he stays kind of hurt so that the blazers don't match an offer and we could get him on the cheap and hope that he gets and stays healthy for us. We've had really good luck with team health in the past.

I think I would pass.

When is he even scheduled to play or even practice this year? He peaked in high school. I'm sorry, I really like the kid, but he just can't stay healthy. He has been hurt since he was at OSU.

[QUOTE=DCforMVP;1087194]

Give Oden a two year deal with a one year team option for the third. Pay him over $6.7 million because obviously since Portland didn't pick up his option they don't plan to pay him over that. Pay him enough to come here, around 7 million for two-three years, and if it's he still sucks and he's still made of glass, he's an expiring contract after that first year and we have no more issues. QUOTE]

Well, I hope Bird doesn't approach it like that. Surely, he has learned from his last 6.6 mil blunder for a player with a history of health problems. Foster didn't even dress last night nor has he played in any of this season's games. Foster's an expiring, and my guess is no one is beating Bird's door down with offers, and I wouldn't envision it being any different with an injury plagued Oden. PASS!

I was one of those that thought Durant was the better of the 2 and should have been the #1 pick. I'm sure Seattle/OKC is glad that Portland thought differently.

Quote Originally Posted by Taterhead View Post
    If Oden shows this year that he can play consistent minutes for the majority of the season and play well, I wouldn't mind it at all. I would love to see the Pacers bring him in with a deal similar to the one Portland gave Mathews and let him back up Roy and matchup with big teams like LA and Boston. He wouldn't have to play major minutes, thus increasing his chances of staying healthy. But if he could stay healthy, he would be a tremendous asset to anyone just as a defensive presence alone.

If Oden is healthy it would be a waste to have him come off the bench. He's too good for that. And frankly I don't think he would accept coming off the bench and I can't say I'd blame him.

Quote Originally Posted by KennerLeaguer View Post
    If Oden is healthy it would be a waste to have him come off the bench. He's too good for that. And frankly I don't think he would accept coming off the bench and I can't say I'd blame him.

Then you trade him while his value is high.

Quote Originally Posted by DCforMVP View Post

Give Oden a two year deal with a one year team option for the third. Pay him over $6.7 million because obviously since Portland didn't pick up his option they don't plan to pay him over that. Pay him enough to come here, around 7 million for two-three years, and if it's he still sucks and he's still made of glass, he's an expiring contract after that first year and we have no more issues. If he's a beast, keep him around three years and try to retain him while LB wins executive of the year. We get a low post presence and Jeff Foster like rebounder with shot blocking ability and hops (I hope nowadays anyways).

I also suppose that he would like to come here and play with our players and get back home. If healthy, obviously, he would be a tremendous third big playing 24 minutes a game or whatever.

We seriously don't have to sign him for 5 years or anything. I want to see what you guys think about that idea.
    This is the type of risk that we should take. It's actually good timing.

In two years, the players on this team will be entering their prime. If Oden turns out to be a bust, he's an expiring contract and we can use that to re-sign promising young players. If he gets healthy, it's a steal and he could handle the PF position....or we trade him or Hibbert for other pieces. The worst thing that happens is that we have another TJ level contract for a couple years....years that this team is unlikely to be in contention. If Oden becomes healthy, we would immediately be contenders as our youth enters its prime.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post:

Oden is already worth $10 million per season.

I think you guys aren't making the correct interpretation of this thing. There was no option to pick-up. $6.7 million is going to be his salary this season - that option they already picked 1 year ago.

They just won't agree to an extension till the deadline - like the Hawks with Horford, apparently. But they'll extend him the QO - in the amount of $8,788,681 - and make him a restricted free-agent. And more probably then not negotiate an extension then.

p.s. - What Larry Staverman said, I missed his post, sorry for that. Just a small note, the QO is $8.8 M, not $6.7M.

If his knees are structurally sound, then I look at him real hard. They just have to make
    sure the knees are good. We cannot afford another Bender debacle. With that said
    the Pacers are in a very good position to bring him home. They have the cap space and
    he is from the area. I believe he needs to lose weight ala Hibbert. And any talk of trading Hibbert is way out there. A player like Hibbert is almost impossible to replace. He is just
    coming into his own. Oden and Hibbert would be an incredible combo. They could play
    a few minutes at the same time. The Pacers could make it very difficult for the Blazers
    to resign him. I believe one more big man could make the Pacers contenders in the next
    2-3 years. So if you have to overpay and take the risk you do it.
    {o,o}
    |)__)
    -"-"-

19. The Following User Says Thank You to owl For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    This is the type of risk that we should take. It's actually good timing.

In two years, the players on this team will be entering their prime. If Oden turns out to be a bust, he's an expiring contract and we can use that to re-sign promising young players. If he gets healthy, it's a steal and he could handle the PF position....or we trade him or Hibbert for other pieces. The worst thing that happens is that we have another TJ level contract for a couple years....years that this team is unlikely to be in contention. If Oden becomes healthy, we would immediately be contenders as our youth enters its prime.
    This is my line of thinking as well. We will have a lot of money for free agency next year but we can't go "hog wild" because we need to have money to retain our young players. And since we do have the flexibilty now, wouldn't it be worth the risk at the right price.

I'm just thinking that Kwame Brown, wasn't retained, Darko didn't stay, why is this different with Oden. How much more is Porland willing to invest in Oden

Espn Quote.
    Bill Duffy, head of the agency that represents Oden, told AOL FanHouse on Tuesday that Oden would not be signing an extension before the deadline.

Oden will be a restricted free agent next summer and the Blazers will be able to match any offers for him. End Quote

If he proves to be healthy I hope we make a run for him as a free agent. There is nothing wrong with starting 2 centers and playing them together for extended minutes. The only reason you don't see it is that there are very few really good centers in the nba. I'd rather have other teams worry about matching up with us then to worry about our inability to guard faster 4's. Right now we're lucky to have Hibbert and getting another starting quality 5 is a pipe dream.

If Portland wants to keep him (and barring catastrophic injuries they will want to keep him), they will keep him. They won't be in penny saving mode with a player like Oden, a potential franchise player.

I think a trade is the only realistic way of acquiring Oden - how realistic depends on how the new GM in Portland sees Oden's value.

Quote Originally Posted by pacers74 View Post
    When is he even scheduled to play or even practice this year? He peaked in high school. I'm sorry, I really like the kid, but he just can't stay healthy. He has been hurt since he was at OSU.
    this.

Quote Originally Posted by cordobes View Post
    Oden is already worth $10 million per season.

I think you guys aren't making the correct interpretation of this thing. There was no option to pick-up. $6.7 million is going to be his salary this season - that option they already picked 1 year ago.

They just won't agree to an extension till the deadline - like the Hawks with Horford, apparently. But they'll extend him the QO - in the amount of $8,788,681 - and make him a restricted free-agent. And more probably then not negotiate an extension then...
    Wait a minute.

Oden has not been able to stay on the court... at all.

As we sit here today Nov 1 2010, I doubt any team would be willing to pay Oden big bucks on a long term contract. As a free agent, I think teams will be lining up in attempts to sign him for a year, just in case he does regain his health.

But let's face it, Oden has to somehow get himself back onto the court THIS SEASON. If not, there is no way in hell that any team would be willing to fork over his QO, or probably not even his present $6.7M on a long-term contract.

Since Oden is not extended, that means there is a good chance that we will have a new CBA in place before his next contract is signed. If salaries, cap limits and tax threshholds are reduced, that will only bring down what his offers will be, especially if he can't get back onto the court to re-establish his former value.