Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 51 to 64 of 64

Thread: IU/Coach Crean lands top 10 recruit for 2012

  1. #51
    Wasting Light Hicks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,585
    Mood

    Default Re: IU/Coach Crean lands top 10 recruit for 2012

    Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoJ View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    True. But most junior high coaches don't run an offense with four players on the strong side of the court.

    Its just spacing 101.
    Was the other team running a zone defense? I've seen references to overloading the strong side to counter a 2-3 zone.

  2. #52
    Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Chicago
    Age
    44
    Posts
    17,000

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: IU/Coach Crean lands top 10 recruit for 2012

    No. There were parts of plays with eight players on the strong side of the court. There was still some off the ball movement, but no passing lanes.

    They just didn't look like they understood spacing at all.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you


  3. #53
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Oakland, CA
    Posts
    923

    Default Re: IU/Coach Crean lands top 10 recruit for 2012

    Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Neither him or his brother are NBA players, imo.

    My pot-stirring retort: What college you go to really doesn't matter with your draft status. Calipari's kids aren't magically enhanced by playing for him--he just recruits elite players year in and year out. Ditto for UNC, Duke, etc. I'm sure the coaches help a little, but not as much as is commonly believed.
    I'm pretty certain Tyler is NBA material, but its hardly a foregone conclusion. He's got the size and is very talented offensively.

    As for College being important for draft status, I disagree. For guys like Blake Griffin, it hardly matters. Most guys enter college with a shot at getting their, if they develop. Those guys need two things:

    1) A team with other top flight talent to practice against
    2) A system that works the position.

    Duke very rarely turns its 5 Star post talent into NBA material because it is a guard centric system that uses its bigs for little more than screens and boards. Teams that play inside out have better success at sending their guys up.

  4. #54
    DIET COKE! Trader Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Troll Hunting
    Age
    26
    Posts
    29,147

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: IU/Coach Crean lands top 10 recruit for 2012

    Quote Originally Posted by judicata View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm pretty certain Tyler is NBA material, but its hardly a foregone conclusion. He's got the size and is very talented offensively.

    As for College being important for draft status, I disagree. For guys like Blake Griffin, it hardly matters. Most guys enter college with a shot at getting their, if they develop. Those guys need two things:

    1) A team with other top flight talent to practice against
    2) A system that works the position.

    Duke very rarely turns its 5 Star post talent into NBA material because it is a guard centric system that uses its bigs for little more than screens and boards. Teams that play inside out have better success at sending their guys up.
    Really?

    What about Boozer and Shelden Williams. Shavlik Randolph also made it to the NBA.

    Duke does run a guard centric system, but their big men do just fine.

    “WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

  5. #55
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Oakland, CA
    Posts
    923

    Default Re: IU/Coach Crean lands top 10 recruit for 2012

    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Really?

    What about Boozer and Shelden Williams. Shavlik Randolph also made it to the NBA.

    Duke does run a guard centric system, but their big men do just fine.
    Boozer has been a nice surprise, but he was drafted pretty low. I don't think Randolph or Williams helps your case. Randolph was the top prospect coming out of High School and missed the draft (same thing almost happened to Josh). Williams is at best a wash, keeping his draft status but transitioning poorly.

    Plenty of Duke bigs have made the league and done well for themselves. The test is whether their college experience tended to improve their draft stock and NBA performance or whether they underachieved.

  6. #56
    DIET COKE! Trader Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Troll Hunting
    Age
    26
    Posts
    29,147

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: IU/Coach Crean lands top 10 recruit for 2012

    Your comment was that Duke very rarely turns their front court talent into NBA material. Which just isn't true. And thanks for bringing up Josh, there's another Duke front court player in the NBA.

    “WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

  7. #57
    The New Gold Swagger travmil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    New Pal
    Posts
    7,101
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: IU/Coach Crean lands top 10 recruit for 2012

    Elton Brand?

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to travmil For This Useful Post:


  9. #58
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Oakland, CA
    Posts
    923

    Default Re: IU/Coach Crean lands top 10 recruit for 2012

    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Your comment was that Duke very rarely turns their front court talent into NBA material. Which just isn't true. And thanks for bringing up Josh, there's another Duke front court player in the NBA.
    You are correct. I worded that poorly. I should have said that attending Duke tends to negatively impact the trajectory of 5star post talent. Josh and Randolph are the poster children of that phenomenon.

    I didn't think this would be controversial. If my kid was a top post talent with a future in the league I would be wary of him attending Duke. If he was a pure shooter I might recommend the school.

    As for Elton Brand, he is like Griffin. He was a man among boys, and could have gone anywhere and been drafted 1st overall. He also left early. We are talking about kids that need development to take the next step, like the Zellers.
    Last edited by judicata; 11-14-2010 at 06:30 PM.

  10. #59
    DIET COKE! Trader Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Troll Hunting
    Age
    26
    Posts
    29,147

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: IU/Coach Crean lands top 10 recruit for 2012

    Fair enough, Coach K is certainly more adept at turning mediocre guard talent into stars at the college level.

    “WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

  11. #60

    Default Re: IU/Coach Crean lands top 10 recruit for 2012

    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Fair enough, Coach K is certainly more adept at turning mediocre guard talent into stars at the college level.
    mediocre?

    He gets more McDonald's all-Americans than anybody other than UNC
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

  12. #61
    DIET COKE! Trader Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Troll Hunting
    Age
    26
    Posts
    29,147

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: IU/Coach Crean lands top 10 recruit for 2012

    Quote Originally Posted by Slick Pinkham View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    mediocre?

    He gets more McDonald's all-Americans than anybody other than UNC
    I didn't say his full roster was mediocre.

    “WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

  13. #62
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    naptown
    Age
    21
    Posts
    16,655
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: IU/Coach Crean lands top 10 recruit for 2012

    trey lyles had 30 pts 20rebs in his first high school game.

    Devin Davis is getting heathly and starting to play really well.(warren has always sucked at b ball devin is starting to change that)


    trey vs carmel

    Last edited by pacer4ever; 12-18-2010 at 12:41 PM.

  14. #63
    Raw Talent Robertmto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    The Nap
    Posts
    5,236
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: IU/Coach Crean lands top 10 recruit for 2012

    not that it matters, but that was like it 3rd game
    STARBURY

    08 and Beyond

  15. #64
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    naptown
    Age
    21
    Posts
    16,655
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: IU/Coach Crean lands top 10 recruit for 2012

    Quote Originally Posted by Robertmto View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    not that it matters, but that was like it 3rd game
    I know they dont have a mix of his first where he got 30pts and 20rebs he has amazing skills for his size

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •