Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: IU/Coach Crean lands top 10 recruit for 2012

Default IU/Coach Crean lands top 10 recruit for 2012

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketb...rivals-1146467

By Mike Pegram, Peegs.com & Inside Indiana Staff Writer

Indiana has landed its highest ranked prospect since current NBA star Eric Gordon made the call for the Hoosiers back in 2006. That’s because Hanner Perea is ready to become a Hoosier following his weekend trip to Bloomington.

“I decided to commit to IU,” said Perea. “I have been thinking about it the last few days and I just knew this was the place I wanted to go.”

The 6-foot-8, 212-pound forward is the #10 ranked player in the Class of 2012. He is originally from the country of Colombia and in between time at prep schools has lived his summers in Bloomington.

“I already know a lot about the school and I’ve been around it for a long time,” said Perea. “That helped me a lot with my decision.”

Perea is now at La Lumiere School in La Porte, Indiana. His trip to Bloomington this weekend was his third unofficial campus visit this fall to the university.

“This weekend I was with Cody (Zeller) and Yogi (Ferrell), so it was a fun weekend,” said Perea.

He said he didn’t mention to the duo during the visit that he was ready to pull the trigger today.

“I didn’t tell them, I just did it,” said Perea. “I told Yogi I was going to do it, I just didn’t tell him when.”

Could the other weekend visitors join him at Indiana?

“I don’t really know but I think they will,” said Perea. “I think they like it here too. They already know what positions they are going to play.”

He’s already begun to recruit the other 2012 prospects on the Indiana radar including Hamilton Southeastern guard Gary Harris, the #24 player in the Rivals150.

“I called Gary and told him I committed to IU and that if we could play on the same team we could end up a great team,” said Perea. “He congratulated me and all that stuff.”

The Colombian is known for his crowd pleasing dunks and blocked shots but he’s working hard to expand his repertoire.

“I am working on my shot, getting into better shape, working on my dribbling skills——from here to when I get to IU, I feel I am going to get a lot better,” said Perea.

Then he expects to continue to develop in Bloomington.

“I know Coach (Tom) Crean is going to help me a lot,” said Perea.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pwee31 For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: IU/Coach Crean lands top 10 recruit for 2012

Tyler Zeller recently told Seth Davis that he'd love to have Cody come to UNC and he he doesn't know his decision, but he thinks he's going to stay home and pick IU over Butler. If that happens, and they get Zeller and Gary Harris, that's the #1 class in the country no question. I know Zeller isn't in their class but man...
    Last edited by travmil; 11-01-2010 at 12:02 AM.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I really think we land Zeller and Yogi too. We are on the rise, finally.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

He has the rep of getting and developing guards, so it's nice to see Crean locking up talented big guys.

We will be back soon!
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Slick Pinkham For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Mood

and they verbal commited Tre Lyles #1 player in the nation for class of 14 goes to tech 6"9 freshman

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pacer4ever For This Useful Post:

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

At some point in time we'll need to start asking the same uncomfortable question that Marquette was always asking... how come he doesn't coach as well as he recruits?

But until then, its good to just get moving in the right direction.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoJ View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    At some point in time we'll need to start asking the same uncomfortable question that Marquette was always asking... how come he doesn't coach as well as he recruits?

But until then, its good to just get moving in the right direction.
    He's never really recruited all that well before now. Not entirely sure Marquette fans asked themselves that question.

I agree with the overall sentiment though--I'm not sure Crean is that good of a coach. His only success at all was when he caught lightning in a bottle with Dwyane Wade.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

I work with a lot of Marquette alumni that ask that question.

I work with a lot of Marquette alumni that ask that question.
    Well you would know better than I would then. I just never remembered his recruiting classes being all that great there. Wouldn't be the first time I've been wrong.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

Rivals has their team recruiting rankings going back to 2003 on their site, and in that time Crean only had 1 ranked recruiting class: 2005, when their class was ranked 23rd.

He really didn't recruit that well at Marquette; a lot of Marquette fans warned Indiana fans that he wouldn't recruit that well at Indiana either.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to asmithxc For This Useful Post:

He was at freakin' Marquette. They weren't expecting top-25 recruiting classes. They'd been in the tournament something like 7 or 8 times in the 25 years after the '77 National Championship. They weren't a top-tier program. He was consistently delivering much better players to the program that they'd seen in 20 years.

He's a better recruiter than coach, which is why they at least had the talent to consistently make the tournament with him.

And some of you are equating "good recruiting" to accumulating a bunch of guys that some non-coaching journalist has ranked in his "top 100". I just wonder how highly the recruiting class of Buckner, May, Wilkerson and Abernathy would have been regarded in one of those "for entertainment only" peices of pseudo-journalism? Those were all "regional" recruits, but recruiting is more than just signing up guys on a top-25 list. Its about bulding a team.

Crean's better at building a team than coaching the team. But given where the program had fallen to, that's okay right now.

He was at freakin' Marquette. They weren't expecting top-25 recruiting classes. They'd been in the tournament something like 7 or 8 times in the 25 years after the '77 National Championship. They weren't a top-tier program. He was consistently delivering much better players to the program that they'd seen in 20 years.

He's a better recruiter than coach, which is why they at least had the talent to consistently make the tournament with him.

And some of you are equating "good recruiting" to accumulating a bunch of guys that some non-coaching journalist has ranked in his "top 100". I just wonder how highly the recruiting class of Buckner, May, Wilkerson and Abernathy would have been regarded in one of those "for entertainment only" peices of pseudo-journalism? Those were all "regional" recruits, but recruiting is more than just signing up guys on a top-25 list. Its about bulding a team.

Crean's better at building a team than coaching the team. But given where the program had fallen to, that's okay right now.
    I mean, isn't that kind of how you determine a "good recruiter?" That he can pull in top 25 classes? Mike Davis pulled in highly ranked recruiting classes, but couldn't coach them for ****.

Not exactly a ringing endorsement of his future success at Indiana.

Even with his recruiting momentum and the general upward trend IU basketball seems to be going in, Crean concerns me. I got skewered the other day on a message board for saying that Matt Painter is a better in game coach than Crean, but I think he is.

Well, no, but that's not the point. I'd view a good recruiter as one who builds a succesful college program and not the guy pulling in highly ranked recruits that leave for the NBA after one or two seasons.

If you've got 20 years of pulling in recruting classes between 75 and 100, you'd be happy with the occasional top-25 class, right? I mean, we are spoiled, even if the last 15 years have been rough.

He's expected to recruit better at Indiana because he isn't selling "Marquette" any more. That's a no-brainer.

Just because he wasn't getting a marquee recruiting class every year doesn't mean he's a bad recruiter.

Just because he wasn't getting a marquee recruiting class every year doesn't mean he's a bad recruiter.
    It doesn't mean he's a good recruiter either. I think he's an average recruiter at a place that is really easy to recruit to, so naturally, the quality of player he gets at Indiana will be better than he got at Marquette. We'll see if he can translate the success on the recruiting front to the court.

You'll note that I didn't ever say he was a good recruiter. I said the question was, "why doesn't he coach as well as he recruits?"

Being a good recruiter by Marquette standards (but still unable to coach them) is not the same as being a good recruiter by IU standards.

I'll give him a few more years (because of how bad things were), but I'm not convinced he's a long-term answer. I'd still rather have Wittman. He was an academic all-American. I'm sure he's smart enough to figure out how to recruit.

You'll note that I didn't ever say he was a good recruiter. I said the question was, "why doesn't he coach as well as he recruits?"

Being a good recruiter by Marquette standards (but still unable to coach them) is not the same as being a good recruiter by IU standards.

I'll give him a few more years (because of how bad things were), but I'm not convinced he's a long-term answer. I'd still rather have Wittman. He was an academic all-American. I'm sure he's smart enough to figure out how to recruit.
    Well, your Marquette friends then. I'm confused, but I think the general crux of the argument, we agree on. We're not sold on Crean.

Right. He's an average recruiter and below-average coach. That was an upgrade for Marquette. And, sadly, also for us at a low point in an otherwise proud history.

Mood

Let me get this straight, you guys think Crean is a below average recruiter? I don't know how on earth anyone could think that. We all know he got an all world talent to come to Marquette, while they were still in Conference USA no less. But people forget there were two other players on that team that made it to the NBA. What about before Marquette? Well, even though he was no longer with the Spartans, as director of recruiting at MSU, all his last team did was win the national title. All coaches should aspire to be such "average" recruiters.

Quote Originally Posted by travmil View Post
    Let me get this straight, you guys think Crean is a below average recruiter? I don't know how on earth anyone could think that. We all know he got an all world talent to come to Marquette, while they were still in Conference USA no less. But people forget there were two other players on that team that made it to the NBA. What about before Marquette? Well, even though he was no longer with the Spartans, as director of recruiting at MSU, all his last team did was win the national title. All coaches should aspire to be such "average" recruiters.
    Wade kind of fell into his lap as I recall. His recruiting classes at Marquette were never that highly ranked, and his recruiting classes at IU have been okay so far, nothing great. They are getting better, which I'm thrilled about. But his record to date hasn't been great with recruiting classes or success on the court for that matter. The only time he made it past the second round of the NCAA tournament was his Final Four team with Wade. Just calling it how I see it. I am optimistic that he turns things around, but I am not drinking the Kool-Aid until I see results on the court.

Right. He's an average recruiter and below-average coach. That was an upgrade for Marquette. And, sadly, also for us at a low point in an otherwise proud history.
    So these years were a low point for Marquette and tarnish their history?

2001–2002 26–7 (13–3) Conf USA
    2002–2003 27–6 (14–2) Conf USA
    2003–2004 19–12 (8–8) Conf USA
    2004–2005 19–12 (7–9) Conf USA
    2005–2006 20–11 (10–6) Big East
    2006–2007 24–10 (10–6) Big East
    2007–2008 25–10 (11-7) Big East

I don't see it...

Have they had a better stretch of seasons since Al McGuire was coach in the 70s?
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

I must not be speaking in English.

I'm going back to the beginning.

I said, "at Marquette, they often asked why Crean wasn't as good at coaching as he was at recruiting."

And everyone jumped all over me that he wasn't a great recruiter. I never said he was.

But I did dispute the notion that he was a lousy recruiter because he wasn't getting top-25 recruiting rankings. In part because Marquette should probably never expect to get top-25 recruiting classes. So even though he wasn't a great recruiter, he did a credible job of recruiting for Marquette.

So he was an upgrade for Marquette. He may not have been great, but I'm willing to say he was a good recruiter.

And after a decade of Mike Davis, Kelvin Sampson, and Dan Dakich, he's an upgrade for the Hoosiers. Its been a decade since we've have a coach as good as Crean. But when you've had Branch and Knight in your history, its okay to say that Crean is average.

I think I'm gong to give up on this thread. Too many of you are talking in absolutes.

sorry for the misunderstanding

The IU program was essentially given the death penalty, not by the NCAA but by Sampson and the low-character players who all quit going to school under him and made it 100% necessary to let everyone go. The first recruiting class under Crean stunk becuase there was no time to make any inroads on any of the recruits at that late stage. The next two show an uptick, though not at the rate I'd like, and were greatly affected by the lack of success on the floor.

I think he has turned the corner interms of recruiting, but that could very well be wishful thinking on my part, I admit.

I cannot tell if he can coach well enough or not. He seemed to play an entertainign style and get the most out of his talent pool at Marquette, and that's all I have to go on.

31. The Following User Says Thank You to Slick Pinkham For This Useful Post:

Zeller makes his decision tomorrow in the Hatchet which is Washington's famous high school gym. Put on a crimson cap Cody!

P.S. Of all the threads I wanted to comment on while I couldn't post this was number 1. Hanner PEREA! HELL F'IN YEAH!

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    Zeller makes his decision tomorrow in the Hatchet which is Washington's famous high school gym. Put on a crimson cap Cody!

P.S. Of all the threads I wanted to comment on while I couldn't post this was number 1. Hanner PEREA! HELL F'IN YEAH!
    I am on pins and needles waiting for this one. Come on Cody, do the right thing.