Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 27

Thread: Something I keep thinking about

  1. #1
    Member Sollozzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    14,552

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Something I keep thinking about

    I just cannot get over the fact that we could have just signed Stephen Jackson, and used Al Harringotn in another trade. I know we have been told this is because of "financial reasons", but I really think we could have dropped some salary had we played our cards right. Erik Dampier wants to play for a winning team and wants money, I think he would have come here.

    The Hawks wanted Al Harrington. We could have worked something with them in which they signed Dampier and we could have made a trade with them.

    We could have traded Harrington, Foster, and Croshere for Dampier and another player if we wanted one, and dropped 4 million dollars salary. It would have basically just been Foster and Croshere for Dampier and another player, because we ended up trading Harrington for a player we could have signed.

    I know some of you dont want to give Dampier a big contract, but if we could have gotten rid of Croshere's, it would have been worth it.

    Instead of getting Jackson for Harrington, I really think we could have gotten Dampier, Jackson, and other player and dumped Harrington, Croshere and Foster.

    starting lineup

    Dampier, O'Neal, Artest, Jackson, Tinsley


  2. #2

    Default Need I say more?

    The Pacers won 61 regular season games in 2003-2004 NBA season. The Pacers, had they won games 6 and 7 of the 2003-2004 Eastern Conference Finals, would have been in the NBA Finals.

  3. #3
    Member Sollozzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    14,552

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Something I keep thinking about

    And that relates to what I said how?

    No one seems to get that 61 games mean absolutely nothing. It's all about the playoffs, and in a series, the Pistons are a better team than us. We havent done much to get better this offseason.

    Great. We have 61 wins and a Central Division title. That means absolutely nothing when a team in our division won less games but has an NBA championship banner hanging up.

    So since we won 61 games in 2003-2004, we shouldn't do everything possible to improve our team for 04-05? We could have signed Jackson and used Harrington in a trade for Dampier, it's as simple as that.

  4. #4

    Default Re: Something I keep thinking about

    I'm a firm believer of the "Don't fix what ain't broken" philosophy...

    edit: You don't change your team just to beat a particular team, at least in my opinion you don't...What if the Pacers had changed the team so they can dominate the Pistons in the playoffs, but end up being slaughtered by another team because the changes made them weak against that team? It doesn't make sense to me to make changes to such a good team.

    edit: Too many/drastic changes...
    [edit=53=1093202811]More Esplaining to do![/edit]
    [edit=53=1093202861][/edit]

  5. #5
    Member Sollozzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    14,552

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Something I keep thinking about

    How could adding Dampier hurt this team? Having Dampier over Jeff Foster would be better against every team. I'm not saying make any drastic changes, getting Erik Dampier could have only made us better and wouldn't have been a risk.

    I love the fact that we got Stephen Jackson. We have a replacement in line for Reggie Miller. I just think we could have gotten him and a little more had we played things differently.

  6. #6
    Wasting Light Hicks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,585
    Mood

    Default Re: Something I keep thinking about

    I don't think we would ever have traded Al for Dampier, for a variety of reasons, the bottom line being it's just not realistic.

    I would have prefered to just sign Stephen out-right, but team salary was already pretty high, and they simply weren't going to add even more. So, take that information, combine it with Al wanting to be traded somewhere that he could start, and you get what actually happened. Makes sense.

  7. #7
    Member Sollozzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    14,552

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Something I keep thinking about

    Hicks, if we wouldnt have been able to package Harrington for Dampier, I'm 100 percent convinced we could have traded Harrington for someone of value, being that Harrington is such a young talent that many teams would like to have.

  8. #8
    Wasting Light Hicks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,585
    Mood

    Default Re: Something I keep thinking about

    True, but if you do that, you're taking salary back, and once again not going to sign Stephen Jackson. Since Stephen fills a clear need on this team, it made sense to get him this way. We traded a glut to fill a hole.

  9. #9
    Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Chicago
    Age
    44
    Posts
    17,000

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Something I keep thinking about

    Quote Originally Posted by MSA2CF
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm a firm believer of the "Don't fix what ain't broken" philosophy...
    We know , but many times you sound like you're happy with a fine regular season and a deep playoff run.

    Since we didn't win a meaningful championship last season, I have a hard time believing that it ain't "broken".

    And I have an even harder time thinking that it ain't broken when the champs, who play in our division, aren't content with their team and are trying to impove - because they're concerned about beating the Spurs, Heat, Pacers, etc.

    I know injuries were a factor in last season's playoffs. But the Pacers had other problems that generally fit into three broad buckets:

    - lack of quality backcourt play (allegedly addressed by acquiring Stephen Jackson and signing Eddie Gill),

    - lack of sufficient size in the paint - with basketball skills, Pollard doesn't count (which became a somewhat bigger concern by trading Harrington for a guard, although Harrison might be able to address this concern at some time in the future),

    - and selfish play and potential chemistry problems (who knows?)

    Its not beyond the realm of reasonable to state that perhaps JO's body would have held up better in last season's playoffs if we had one more big, physical post player (again, this definition excluses a stiff like Pollard, a fairly skinny guy like Foster, and a perimeter-oriented PF like Croshere) to absorb the abuse the Miami in particular, and also Detroit, put on his lower body. Sounds to me like it might broken.

    EDIT/ADD:
    Since I was mostly out of the loop last week, can somebody tell me if Dampier to the Mavs is official?
    [edit=72=1093286969][/edit]
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you


  10. #10
    Member Sollozzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    14,552

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Something I keep thinking about

    Jay, good post, and I don't think the Dampier deal is official as of right now, but I think it could become official later today.

    I would agree with MCA2CF's "Don't fix what aint broken" philosophy only if the Pacers made it to the finals or won the championship. How can you say that there is nothing broken when we didn't get to the finals? If you don't get to the NBA finals, you should do everything you can to try to improve.

    Again, 61 wins means absolutely nothing if you don't back it up with a championship, or atleast a finals appearance.


  11. #11
    NewType
    Guest

    Default Re: Something I keep thinking about

    Quote Originally Posted by Jay@Section222
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Its not beyond the realm of reasonable to state that perhaps JO's body would have held up better in last season's playoffs if we had one more big, physical post player (again, this definition excluses a stiff like Pollard, a fairly skinny guy like Foster, and a perimeter-oriented PF like Croshere) to absorb the abuse the Miami in particular, and also Detroit, put on his lower body. Sounds to me like it might broken.
    I think this may be a little off base. It's true that another big body would definitely help. However, there is no evident that JO's injury has anything related to the abuse that he took. He sprained his knee when he landed awkwardly (or was undercut) after going for the rebound. Better condition or not wouldn't really help in that situation.


    [edit=509=1093289001][/edit]

  12. #12
    Inspiration Shade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Age
    35
    Posts
    42,623

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Something I keep thinking about

    But if we had just signed SJax, we wouldn't have been able to use half our MLE on AJ.
    "I'm not arguing; I'm explaining why I'm right."

  13. #13
    Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Chicago
    Age
    44
    Posts
    17,000

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Something I keep thinking about

    Quote Originally Posted by MIPacers
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay@Section222
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Its not beyond the realm of reasonable to state that perhaps JO's body would have held up better in last season's playoffs if we had one more big, physical post player (again, this definition excluses a stiff like Pollard, a fairly skinny guy like Foster, and a perimeter-oriented PF like Croshere) to absorb the abuse the Miami in particular, and also Detroit, put on his lower body. Sounds to me like it might broken.
    I think this may be a little off base. It's true that another big body would definitely help. However, there is no evident that JO's injury has anything related to the abuse that he took. He sprained his knee when he landed awkwardly (or was undercut) after going for the rebound. Better condition or not wouldn't really help in that situation.

    Yes, he was undercut. But basketball players (especially centers) get undercut all the time.

    That's why I said "its not beyond the realm of reasonable."

    Clearly you're right, there is no case-specific evidence (in the public domain) either way. But there is sufficient medical research to link this type of sprain to fatigue. The fatigue could either be the result of exerting his leg muscles, tendons and ligaments during the game in question (making his leg tired), or weeks and months of wear and tear leading up to it (making his leg weak).

    JO even said something similar when 'recruiting' Dampier.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you


  14. #14
    NewType
    Guest

    Default Re: Something I keep thinking about

    Quote Originally Posted by Jay@Section222
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Quote Originally Posted by MIPacers
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay@Section222
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Its not beyond the realm of reasonable to state that perhaps JO's body would have held up better in last season's playoffs if we had one more big, physical post player (again, this definition excluses a stiff like Pollard, a fairly skinny guy like Foster, and a perimeter-oriented PF like Croshere) to absorb the abuse the Miami in particular, and also Detroit, put on his lower body. Sounds to me like it might broken.
    I think this may be a little off base. It's true that another big body would definitely help. However, there is no evident that JO's injury has anything related to the abuse that he took. He sprained his knee when he landed awkwardly (or was undercut) after going for the rebound. Better condition or not wouldn't really help in that situation.

    Yes, he was undercut. But basketball players (especially centers) get undercut all the time.

    That's why I said "its not beyond the realm of reasonable."

    Clearly you're right, there is no case-specific evidence (in the public domain) either way. But there is sufficient medical research to link this type of sprain to fatigue. The fatigue could either be the result of exerting his leg muscles, tendons and ligaments during the game in question (making his leg tired), or weeks and months of wear and tear leading up to it (making his leg weak).

    JO even said something similar when 'recruiting' Dampier.
    Good point.


  15. #15

    Default HINDER HINDER HINDER

    Quote Originally Posted by PacerFanAdam
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I would agree with MCA2CF's "Don't fix what aint broken" philosophy only if the Pacers made it to the finals or won the championship. How can you say that there is nothing broken when we didn't get to the finals? If you don't get to the NBA finals, you should do everything you can to try to improve.

    Again, 61 wins means absolutely nothing if you don't back it up with a championship, or atleast a finals appearance.
    Sixty-one wins means a heck of a lot to me. I don't believe there was anything broken moreso than the roster had some minor aches that needed adjusted, such as Al Harrington.

    Making too many moves or making drastic ones to a roster won't improve a team; it will set it back.

    Just because the team didn't make the Finals doesn't mean the team needs to be dramatically altered. That's why I think the Pistons won't fair too well this season because of the number/nature of the moves the team has made this off-season.

  16. #16
    Member Sollozzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    14,552

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Something I keep thinking about

    The team doesn't need to be "dramatically altered"

    Getting Dampier could have only helped the team.

  17. #17
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    26,381

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: HINDER HINDER HINDER

    Quote Originally Posted by MSA2CF
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Quote Originally Posted by PacerFanAdam
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I would agree with MCA2CF's "Don't fix what aint broken" philosophy only if the Pacers made it to the finals or won the championship. How can you say that there is nothing broken when we didn't get to the finals? If you don't get to the NBA finals, you should do everything you can to try to improve.

    Again, 61 wins means absolutely nothing if you don't back it up with a championship, or atleast a finals appearance.
    Sixty-one wins means a heck of a lot to me. I don't believe there was anything broken moreso than the roster had some minor aches that needed adjusted, such as Al Harrington.

    Making too many moves or making drastic ones to a roster won't improve a team; it will set it back.

    Just because the team didn't make the Finals doesn't mean the team needs to be dramatically altered. That's why I think the Pistons won't fair too well this season because of the number/nature of the moves the team has made this off-season.
    .....so if the Pistons wont fare too well because of their roster moves, the Pacers must be lottry-bound, right? After all, at least THEY changed their starting lineup, and their 3rd leading scorer....

    2013 Pacers Digest NBA 2K13 Champion (Xbox 360)

  18. #18

    Default Re: Something I keep thinking about

    Quote Originally Posted by PacerFanAdam
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Getting Dampier could have only helped the team.
    [edit=53=1093395736][/edit]

  19. #19

    Default I'm so slow I don't get your point?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kstat
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    .....so if the Pistons wont fare too well because of their roster moves, the Pacers must be lottry-bound, right? After all, at least THEY changed their starting lineup, and their 3rd leading scorer....
    The Pacers changed the starting lineup? Let's see: Jeff at C, Jermaine at PF, Ron at SF, Reggie at SG, Jamaal at PG...

    I don't think the Pacers are lottery-bound as of now.

  20. #20
    Wasting Light Hicks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,585
    Mood

    Default Re: Something I keep thinking about

    MSA2CF, if Stephen Jackson becomes the starting SG, will that make you feel like the Pacers will be worse?

  21. #21
    Member Sollozzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    14,552

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Something I keep thinking about

    Well, the move the Pacers did in getting Jackson is a move that would change the lineup on most teams. But of course, we have Reggie Miller, and if he was 80 they would let him start.

  22. #22
    flexible and robust SoupIsGood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Lappy Go Hucky
    Age
    25
    Posts
    17,541

    Default Re: Something I keep thinking about

    The colts need to trade for Steven Jackson, then we would ahve both Indy teams with a SJax waiting to start because the player ahead of him is only there for one more year.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

  23. #23
    Member Sollozzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    14,552

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Something I keep thinking about

    Reggie Miller should not be ahead of SJAX......It's a travesty if Reggie is the starter, and sadly, I think he will be.

  24. #24

    Default I'm too sentimental

    Quote Originally Posted by Hicks
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    MSA2CF, if Stephen Jackson becomes the starting SG, will that make you feel like the Pacers will be worse?
    Before the season, I will be nervous because I do not remember the last time Reggie came off the bench. I'm not 100% confident he can fill the bench role. I mean, I think he can, but how he would deliver would concern me because he'd be playing out of his role, but then again, he's been playing out of his "role" for about 3 years now. I guess as a basketball analyst/fan in general, Reggie probably should come off the bench, but as a Pacers fan, I feel starting is his place. There are valid reasons why he should continue to start, but that topic has been debated over and over again.

    To answer your question, no.

  25. #25
    Member Sollozzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    14,552

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Something I keep thinking about

    It really doesn't matter what Reggie does, he won't contribute much. The team would be fine with out him, we have a SG that is clearly better than him. We would have SJAX and Fred as our SG's if Reggie was gone.

    You shouldn't get a starting spot based on what you've done in the past years(just like you shouldn't get a contract based on the past). You have to earn a starting spot by your current play, and Stephen Jackson is clearly a better player than Reggie MIller at this point.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •