Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tyler begins his campaign to make me eat crow

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Default Tyler begins his campaign to make me eat crow

I know a lot of people who have seen the moments in his last 2 games and thought "and Naptown said he wasn't any good" or thought at least of the general crowd that discounted his chances. I've been very vocal about his chances as an NBA player.

But for those that thought it's some random hate thing (or more foolishly the few that thought it was a pro-Duke anti-NC thing), I'm here to say that I've always rooted for Tyler once he became a Pacer and I'm certainly going to acknowledge when he makes great plays.

There's my evaluation based on NCAA and NBA output. That's not the same as my personal hopes for a player, nor is it an evaluation of the person.

Tyler in the 4th last night showed us one of the things I complained about, attacking the post he got doubled and then got his shot just stuffed 1 foot off the floor. It was pathetic and very non-NBA. The point being that the things I worried about were and remain real.

But what Tyler has done these last 2 games has almost reinvented himself. Sure he's still a full on rampaging bull who's motor doesn't quit, but Tyler as a PF doing the quick step around to get in front of a pass for the steal? That's new.

Tyler got a tough board at one point and tried to go back up. He got shut down. But then new Tyler looked at Josh in the wings and gave it up for Josh to do what he specializes in which is to get high in traffic for the score (or foul).

Tyler also showed me some strong IN TRAFFIC HOPS himself, the break dunk was contested and he threw it down. As they were winding down the final possessions Tyler went up in traffic for a power rebound.

Those types of things are rather new and it reminds me for Hibbert who I scouted as too laterally slow for the NBA. For Roy that was very true the first 2 seasons, a bit less so now. But what Roy did was find a way to impact the NBA despite that limitation, and that's what I see Tyler starting to do now.

His bully around the rim slop offense is showing up less and is replaced with a lot of good use of lateral moment on both ends of the court. He's looking more like a guy that's found a niche within this group of players and less like a guy that was still trying to get by with stuff that worked at the NCAA level.

I've never denied that he had some things that could work, but I didn't see it adding up to enough and I didn't think he or the team was using him that way last year. Let's remember that he earned his low FG% last year.

The last 2 games he's been used perfectly and has applied himself to his role perfectly.

And for every one of his highlight moments I stood and cheered, probably louder than anyone. I respect game and he showed it big time last night (along with a lot of other Pacers). He's showed me hops I didn't think he had and game I didn't think he'd find. The results are a wonderful sugar coating for the crow he starting to make me eat.

I really hope he continues to do so.

2. The Following 39 Users Say Thank You to Naptown_Seth For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Default Re: Tyler begins his campaign to make me eat crow

I tried to give you cheese for that post.

And I actually was wondering what you thought about Tyler's play during the last game.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

I'm pretty pleased with our young PFs (Tyler and Josh). I think "ridiculous upside" is given more credit than it deserves, whereas the tenacity and work ethic of guys like Hibbert and Hansbrogh is often overlooked. I think Hansbrogh will fit in quite well here.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to IndyPacer For This Useful Post:

Well he has that base line jumper down. I like how he immediately thinks shoot when a player gets close to him, he draws alot of fouls. One could say that the game slows down when he is in, but I think that good in the 4th as an example.

I'm glad you're coming around but I really don't see a difference from last season, other than shot selection. The deflections, tough rebounds and hops were already there.

8. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to imawhat For This Useful Post:

Gotta Play Big

Quote Originally Posted by imawhat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm glad you're coming around but I really don't see a difference from last season, other than shot selection. The deflections, tough rebounds and hops were already there.
    I do see a different Tyler this year. I see one that has learned to take what the defense gives him...like what every other player has to do in the league. Tyler was simply attempting to do things that no player his size could possibly accomplish. It's less of a shortcoming on his game...and more of a misapplication of his abilities.

What I hope to see him develop further is his mid range shot. If he's money on that shot, he will be a load...because teams will have to respect the fact he can jam it down their throats if they don't protect the rim.

So...like I said almost a year ago...Tyler will adapt. I don't see an all-star PF here...but I do still see a good player. He will never get enough credit for what he does in terms of helping teams win...

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post:

Droppin' knowledge, yo. Mackey_Rose's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I too have been skeptical of Tyler and the way his game would translate to this league, but I will be his biggest fan if he keeps playing like he has the last couple nights.

I love Josh and Tyler as a pairing.

Banned

I like this

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Mackey_Rose View Post
    you do? i'd rather have an above average PF.

Quote Originally Posted by crunk-juice View Post
    you do? i'd rather have an above average PF.
    What you get out of them is above average play from the position for little cost.

Hansbrough is still on his rookie deal, and then if you give McRoberts an extension now for something in the neighborhood of $4 or $5 million, you are paying $7 or $8 million for two players who produce more than the one player we would have paid $12 million for.

Yeah I like that.

15. The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to Mackey_Rose For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Sports Logo Sports Logo

agreed! i did not know what to expect from hansbro out of college, but i knew the intangiables were there and that psycho T will go balls out. what i picked up last season was that he had way more athleticsm than i could have imagined. i think the the rebound and dunk in one motion made me a believer.

i liked what hansbro brought to the court last season and never got the naysayers motives or reasons for the negativity. hansbro's ceiling is not likely to be an all-star in this league, but what he does on the floor is simply help teams wins games. he is so fundamentally solid that i think many of these nba players who get by on skill alone have no chance at dominating him on either side of the court. hansbro gets after it defensively, he boxes out, goes after every loose ball, and will hit that 12 footer on a consistent basis. his all around game is underappreciated and im glad to see some pacer fans hopping on board the hansbro wagon if you will.

i also believe hansbro can gaurd centers in this league, despite the 2-3 inches he gives up he makes up in heart, pure hustle, and fundamentally solid play all around. love what mcbob is doing as well, and with these two i feel confident in our PF position this season.

im thankful that i will not have to hear the criticism of Larry Legend any further.. he knows what he is doing and will take this team back to contender status for a long time once this group of players gets some more experience.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to PacersPride For This Useful Post:

Banned

Yep, he sure showed me he had what it takes.
    Yes, the offense was ugly, but he had NO offseason work OR training camp yet STILL came into the NBA and had impact almost immediately.
    I don't pay much attention outside the Big 10, so if he was overhyped, ok. But cliche's don't become cliche's without ringing true most of the time.
    And if anybody here doesn't see a guy with a motor that runs 10% faster than most other pro athletes, you are watching someone else.
    He's not the most skilled guy, but he's got ALL the physical and mental attributes ANYONE could hope for.
    He's one of the 10%ers that will outwork you to win.

This is Brian Cardinal with 40lbs of muscle.
    EVERY team in the league will wish they had this kid in 3 months.

Quote Originally Posted by PacersPride View Post

im thankful that i will not have to hear the criticism of Larry Legend any further..

Then turn your hearing aid down. Things are looking better, but it's just 3 games into the season. I'm pleased as punch the Pacers are 2-1, unlike some seem to be, I don't see Bird being able to walk on water. When things change, and they will b/c this team can't play .667 ball all season, people will be upset with Jimmy's 4th year, Foster's extension, etc. It's just human nature.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Justin Tyme For This Useful Post:

Mood

What you get out of them is above average play from the position for little cost.

Hansbrough is still on his rookie deal, and then if you give McRoberts an extension now for something in the neighborhood of $4 or $5 million, you are paying $7 or $8 million for two players who produce more than the one player we would have paid $12 million for.

Yeah I like that.
    we have very differing opinions of what 'above average' means

22. The Following User Says Thank You to crunk-juice For This Useful Post:

Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar

Evidently yours is wrong then.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

-Lance Stephenson

Quote Originally Posted by BRushWithDeath View Post
    the right side of his signature is also wrong.
    "To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine

Quote Originally Posted by BRushWithDeath View Post
    Exactly. Those two as a combo have equaled a top 5 PF IMO. Their tandem is way above average.

Plus Id rather have two above average PFs than one All Star because when one goes to the bench we don't miss a beat

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Midcoasted For This Useful Post:

last year Hansbrough's shot wasn't falling. He may have had balance issues even before being diagnosed because his jump shot now looks more like it did before last season. That was the one issue I noticed he was having last season since I knew his short/mid range jumpshots were money in college. For all we know he may have had some equilibrium issues the entire season last year. The energy, hustle, toughness and swagger were all there last year.

McRoberts is averaging 9.3 points and 7.3 rebounds per game.

Hansbrough is averaging 10.5 points and 5.5 rebounds per game.

19.8 and 12.8 isn't above average? They also have 15 offensive rebounds (11 for McRoberts alone) between them in 3 games. Murphy averaged like 1.5 per game for his career.

I was never against Tyler as a basketball player, I only hated the choice when there were some quality points still available on the draft board.

I will say that he's still surprised me with his game. He still tries to bully his way inside and ends up getting blocked, but he's been passing the ball a bit more, and that shows me that he's willing to change in order to become a better all round basketball player.

Keep up the good work Tyler. I'm glad that the vertigo is gone. He's been the clutch player that's pretty much keyed these 2 wins.
    With the #3 pick in the 2015 draft, your Indiana Pacers!

Protect the Promise. HOOPFANATIC's Avatar

I keep trying to think who some above average fours are that I'd even want to see instead of McPsycho. Kinda perplexing cause what Bird said in the interview with Brunner before the game about "knowing exactly what they want" Did anyone else hear that?

Me too. For all of the Josh-vs-Tyler debate this forum has had, those guys play really well next to each other. I think the Roy-Josh-Tyler 3-man rotation shows a lot of promise.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

32. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Anthem For This Useful Post:

Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    Me too. For all of the Josh-vs-Tyler debate this forum has had, those guys play really well next to each other. I think the Roy-Josh-Tyler 3-man rotation shows a lot of promise.
    Which makes the historical comparison Smits/Davis/Davis.

A very high bar to reach, but it's no longer an impossible standard.
    “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill

“If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.” - Catherine Aird

34. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Los Angeles For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    i would have liked to see Rolle join that group bit it's not to be and we have several guys who will make us groan. If Foster has something left that will help. I don't want to see Solo come in and I haven't seen enuf of Posey to decide whether he has any positive impact.

Mood

Tyler looks better and better with every game. I really like this combo of Tyler and Josh I can see them as difficult to contain. Josh is so athletic and can be an above the rim player and Tyler's brute strength and unorthodox play makes a pretty good combination at the 4 spot.