Thread: Doug Collins loves our offense

Default Doug Collins loves our offense

http://www.nba.com/pacers/news/rewind_101030.html

"This is the best offensive system in the NBA. They are a tough team to defend with Hibbert inside and the others can shoot the three." – 76ers Coach Doug Collins on the Pacers

I know, it is common for opposing coaches to compliment the other team. But I have ben extremely impressed with the Pacers halfcourt offense in each of the first three games. And we know the spurs and the Bobcats will be two of the better defenses in the NBA, and Collins will get Sixers to play decent.

When the pacers actually run their offense it has been impressive,

comments

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Doug Collins loves our offense

Yes, I agree with Collins. It looked nothing like last year's. The players were going to the rim or shooting midrange rather than so much from the perimeter.

While Granger shot 7 threes, he was driving and shot 9 inside the arc. Hibbert worked in the post...13 attempts primarily around the basket. Only good shooters (George, Granger and Dunleavy) were launching much volume from 3. The players were going to the rim...obviously.

There are two reasons this might have changed: a) Roy Hibbert's development and b) a different starting PF.

I have no complaints.

...and for the record, we don't have a problem on the boards.

Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Best offensive system in the NBA? Seriously?
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

Nothing like Collins setting the Pacers up for a fall for this Wed night game in Philly.

The Pacers are playing better, and I like it. I don't like my feeling that Dunleavy is replacing Murphy for Jimmy shooting 3's. It's only 3 games, so I'll just take a wait and see about Dunleavy shooting 3's.

I think he means philosphically having it centered around a big man.... not specifically the Pacers, only.

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Well when you lean on guys like Roy and Josh to make early passing choices and to run cuts off the post then your offense does look good.

JOB of last year thinks this offense is garbage and plodding and irrelevant. Kudos to JOB of this year for giving us what we wanted (or the FO leaning on him to do so).

Larry trading Troy and Roy's offseason training are definitely helping JOB's image too.

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Naptown_Seth For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

IMO Collison/Hibbert have made this offense so much smoother. When Hibbert's off the floor,the offense slows down some. Running it through hibbert,pick and pops with collison/hibbert,and getting the ball to him when hibbert's in position is opening up the perimeter for Granger.

It's beautiful basketball!
    Pacers,baby!

Offense looks great, I agree. We ran the same offense in summer league two years ago when we were undefeated and Roy was the MVP. We should've run it last season, but I'm glad it's here now.

Quote Originally Posted by Speed View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think he means philosphically having it centered around a big man.... not specifically the Pacers, only.
    That is the way I understood it as well. Having a dominant big man in the middle who draws the double team and who can dish the ball out for open looks. Similar to the way Orlando plays.

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Minneapolis View Post
    Yeah, I'm shocked. I think very highly of Doug Collins.

But I did say early in the preseason that our starting five are all great passers.

Collison
    Dunleavy
    Granger
    McRoberts
    Hibbert

Granger is the only one that might make you scratch your head, but he has just been called on to score so much that you don't realize he does have the ability to make some sweet dimes.

The real deal for this issue is McBob/Roy. You're lucky to have one big that is a great passer. We have two.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

can't forget Paul George! dude has been great for us so far!

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BornReady View Post
    can't forget Paul George! dude has been great for us so far!
    Agreed.

When he becomes the starting 2, he will continue the passing greatness. He seems to have that innate ability to see the floor.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Minneapolis View Post
    Probably not, but it's amazing execution will do for you.

Talking Re: Doug Collins loves our offense

I've complained as long as JOB has been here about how it makes no sense to "spread the floor" with all of these 3s without utilizing a presence inside and/ or slashers to actually take advantage of spreading the floor. Now that he's using Hibbert inside he has one of the best offenses in the NBA? Congrats to Jimmy for making this incredible discovery!

Quote Originally Posted by IndyPacer View Post
    I've complained as long as JOB has been here about how it makes no sense to "spread the floor" with all of these 3s without utilizing a presence inside and/ or slashers to actually take advantage of spreading the floor. Now that he's using Hibbert inside he has one of the best offenses in the NBA? Congrats to Jimmy for making this incredible discovery!
    Its more about Hibbert being able to deliver. He was given as many minutes as he could physically handle last year.

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to spazzxb For This Useful Post:

Mood

It's nice to hear, and I do like what we've seen so far. I'm excited as anyone about the start of this season. But before we pat ourselves on the back too much, or make too much out of a comment like this, let's remember it's the third game of an 82 game season, so take it with a grain of salt.

As far as the system itself, at least it looks like a system now. Hibbert is the key because he can do so many things. Granger is going to be the big scorer, and Collison controls it. But Hibbert is the big gear that makes it all turn.

--pizza
    BLUE COLLAR GOLD SWAGGER

@The_Real_CJake

20. The Following User Says Thank You to pizza guy For This Useful Post:

The Pacers offense is reminiscent of Orlando, but even more of the Pitino's Knicks team in the late 80s that had O'Brien as an assistant coach. They have Hibbert as a worse version of Pat Ewing and Granger as a better version of G. Willikins. Dunleavy as Johnny Newman, Collison as Jackson. Let's see if they can keep it up.

It would seem a weird thing for Collins to say, he prefers to play at a much slower tempo. But he seems to be running a 2-out offense with Philly, with a big and a small on the perimeter and the 2 wings on the corners, so it makes sense he appreciates this type of spacing.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to cordobes For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by cordobes View Post
    The Pacers offense is reminiscent of Orlando, but even more of the Pitino's Knicks team in the late 80s that had O'Brien as an assistant coach. They have Hibbert as a worse version of Pat Ewing and Granger as a better version of G. Willikins. Dunleavy as Johnny Newman, Collison as Jackson. Let's see if they can keep it up.
    Those Pitino-Knicks never ran the offense through Ewing so its a lot different. I love Pat, he's the greatest Hoya ever. But Big John never developed the passing game of his big men when they were in college. That's one big reason why Patrick, Dikembe and Alonzo were subpar passers.

Quote Originally Posted by KennerLeaguer View Post
    Those Pitino-Knicks never ran the offense through Ewing so its a lot different. I love Pat, he's the greatest Hoya ever. But Big John never developed the passing game of his big men when they were in college. That's one big reason why Patrick, Dikembe and Alonzo were subpar passers.
    Hibbert is a better passer and maybe the Pacers get him the ball more often early in the possession - even though I'm not sure, it may look that way because they play more half-court sets - but the principles were the same. The Knicks would dump the ball to Ewing a lot, play off the Ewing/Jackson 2 man game and have cutters/shooters around them.

Always thought Ewing was underrated as a passer, maybe because it was tempting to compare him to Olajuwon. He's not comparable to Hibbert, lacked the same natural instincts and vision, but he would get between 10%-14% of his team assists when he was on the floor during his prime. He had lots of hockey assists. Those are very respectable numbers for a center - Deke and Mourning would never be able to get those numbers. Even today... Hibbert, Brad Miller, Gasol, Camby... not many centers have the playmaking ability to put up that kind of numbers.

I don't think we give job much credit. I know we all hate the players he puts on the floor at times but he knows how to get the most from his players offensively.

Last year we did not have many scoring options so he used Troy Murphy at what he was best at the trailing three.

Now with big Roy being able to play longer and dc in the lineup the offense flows much better. We no longer have to rely on just Danny granger which is great.