Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Does nobody see what Dunleavy does on the floor?

Default Does nobody see what Dunleavy does on the floor?

I think the Dunleavy hate on this board is incredible. Sure he is not our best player, but he does a lot of things that help this team. Mainly, he is an excellent passer. I can think of two plays where he made excellent passes that lead to a score (not necessarily an assist, but a great pass within the flow of the offense that lead to a bucket)

His alley oop pass to McRoberts last night was PERFECT. TJ Ford could of converted that alley oop, the pass was so good .

Also, his three point shooting is questionable at times but i'd rather him be confident than deal with Brandon Rush being scared to take two steps.

Dunleavy is also an excellent team defender. Bottom line is he may be the best passer on this team not named Collison. Our offense has looked VERY GOOD the first two games and passing is a big reason for that. When you have Collison, Dunleavy, and Roy on the floor together you have three VERY GOOD passers on the floor. Watch when Dunleavy passes the ball to Granger, he always hits Granger RIGHT where he is ready to shoot, it is a thing of beauty that apparently is missed by most viewers. (Not saying I am some excellent basketball analyst, but I do pay attention to passing)

I think Dunleavy needs to be coming off the bench playing 15-20 min a game max. I think with the second unit he could probably be more effective as a facilitator/scorer. He is always going to make the right pass and put guys in a good position to score (that is assuming players are moving, screening, cutting, etc.) IT has been said by other posters, but Dunleavy is a player whose stat line rarely tells the whole story, similar to Foster (whose great defense often doesn't show up on a stat line)
    *removed* Just keep politics and religion completely out of it, please.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon Theodore For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Does nobody see what Dunleavy does on the floor?

Wow.

He's played two games so far and has looked like ****. Why give him a pass on his crappy shooting? Why spew up more BS about his "team defense"...which I'm beginning to believe was simply a myth.

His defense has looked horrible and its a huge reason that in back to back games an opposing wing went bananas on us. Not the only reason...but a major one. His "team defense" consists of getting beat horribly, looking behind him and yelling at someone. Yes, there you have it. His "team defense" consists of holding others accountable for his inability to stay in front of his man.

But I do agree, he's more apt to come off the bench with the second unit. We need Rush starting. Because although he's "afraid to go 2 steps" he's also a 40%+ shooter from range and can actually stay in front of his guy.

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Ozwalt72 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Theodore View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think the Dunleavy hate on this board is incredible. Sure he is not our best player, but he does a lot of things that help this team. Mainly, he is an excellent passer. I can think of two plays where he made excellent passes that lead to a score (not necessarily an assist, but a great pass within the flow of the offense that lead to a bucket)

His alley oop pass to McRoberts last night was PERFECT. TJ Ford could of converted that alley oop, the pass was so good .

Also, his three point shooting is questionable at times but i'd rather him be confident than deal with Brandon Rush being scared to take two steps.

Dunleavy is also an excellent team defender. Bottom line is he may be the best passer on this team not named Collison. Our offense has looked VERY GOOD the first two games and passing is a big reason for that. When you have Collison, Dunleavy, and Roy on the floor together you have three VERY GOOD passers on the floor. Watch when Dunleavy passes the ball to Granger, he always hits Granger RIGHT where he is ready to shoot, it is a thing of beauty that apparently is missed by most viewers. (Not saying I am some excellent basketball analyst, but I do pay attention to passing)

I think Dunleavy needs to be coming off the bench playing 15-20 min a game max. I think with the second unit he could probably be more effective as a facilitator/scorer. He is always going to make the right pass and put guys in a good position to score (that is assuming players are moving, screening, cutting, etc.) IT has been said by other posters, but Dunleavy is a player whose stat line rarely tells the whole story, similar to Foster (whose great defense often doesn't show up on a stat line)
    I think you would be hard pressed to find 10 poster that would disagree with Dunleavy coming off the bench for 15 minutes.

6. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Gamble1 For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Theodore View Post

It might not show up on Dunleavy's stat line, but his defense definitely shows up on the stat line of the man he's guarding.
    Grown Man Ball

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SMosley21 For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'm only a Dunleavy hater when it comes to his defense.....but whats the deal with his FT shooting?? I do think he is an excellent cutter to the basket as he demonstrated against San Antonio and his three point shooting will improve as we move along in the season.
    Help us Paul George......you're our only hope

Quote Originally Posted by Gamble1 View Post
    I think you would be hard pressed to find 10 poster that would disagree with Dunleavy coming off the bench for 15 minutes.
    I would be one of them. I have been easy on Dun in the past because he is a smart player, and he could score which made his defense bearable. If Dun can't shoot, which he hasn't been able to for a while now, what he does bring is drastically outweighed by what he doesn't. I would rather have someone who is afraid to shoot, but plays good defense and shots well when he does. Than someone who misses 70% of his shots and can't play defense, but can pass better than all our PG's combined. Dunleavy shouldn't be playing 1 minute if he can't shoot, I would rather see Price playing SG.

Banned

I think the Dunleavy hate on this board is incredible
    Go ahead and read the Brandon Rush Dunleavy thread were everybody got to vote and tell me how many people voted for Rush, everybody was loving Dunleavy before the season started because everytime they think about him they see the guy that was scoring 19ppg three years ago but they forgot he got three years older and had a knee surgery during that time.

As I said before Dunleavy is who he is 10ppg and not defense, he is an usable piece in the team but shouldn't be the starter.

I think is also fair to say that the Dunleavy "team defense" is a myth, he doesn't help as much as he used too, like I said before age and health are not helping him to do that anymore.

And I guess the only thing you can say about Dunleavy defensively is that he takes some charges and sometimes gets his hand on the ball when the player is in the process of blowing past him.

I have to admit, I thought it was kind of funny that a thread dedicated to defending Mike Dunleavy starts off by saying (within the first post, anyway) that he should only play 15-20 minutes off of the bench.

I hope that's where he winds up. If George weren't a rookie, I'd want him starting, but I hope Rush earns the starting spot again when he returns, at Mike's minute's expense.

Unfortunately, Mike (and if not him, James Posey) will probably always get minutes at the 3 at Paul's expense.

He's a good scorer and inside shooter, but his lack of defense is what kills us.

He should come off the bench and Paul starts.

Mood

Mike is dog**** in my opinion. I watched both games. In the San Antonio game, the very first game of the season, I saw him halfass fighting through screens, not even caring about playing any d. Him and TJ are the 2 cancers of the team.

Mike's a good player who doesn't really fit with the first unit.

I agree with Jon that Mike is an excellent passer and would really have a chance to shine in the second unit. Playing him between Collison and Granger shows off all of his weaknesses and almost none of his strengths.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

17. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Anthem For This Useful Post:

I don't think how much I would play George at the expense of Dunleavy, but I'll watch for George tonight to try to get a better opinion. As of right now, he seems incredibly lost on offense (a lot like Danny was as a rookie) although effective defensively. His +/- last night was almost as bad as Posey. George could be a really good player, but right now it may be best to keep him at 7-15 mpg this early in the year.

Quote Originally Posted by idioteque View Post
    His +/- last night was almost as bad as Posey.
    Which is why +/- is a horrible way to judge a player. He was on the floor most of the time with Posey/Solo. Of course his +/- wasn't spectacular.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to xBulletproof For This Useful Post:

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by TheDanimal View Post
    Mike is dog**** in my opinion. I watched both games. In the San Antonio game, the very first game of the season, I saw him halfass fighting through screens, not even caring about playing any d. Him and TJ are the 2 cancers of the team.

Cancer of the team? Now that is funny.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDanimal View Post
    I watched the first game and I saw none of that. I cannot believe you think he is a cancer. He was brought here in part to take care of the cancers of the team to begin with. I agree play him with the second unit which is what JOB should do when Rush comes back, but it is JOB so chances are slim that happens.
    JOB is a silly man

crazy shinaniganz BringJackBack's Avatar

I have not given up on Mike yet. I'll give him about 8 more games. He is confident right now and all that, and even though he doesn't really hit, he's more of a threat than our other guys, which means that you play him tight.

Plus, he's a $10M expiring contract. Play him to get some value.

crazy shinaniganz BringJackBack's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by xBulletproof View Post
    Which is why +/- is a horrible way to judge a player. He was on the floor most of the time with Posey/Solo. Of course his +/- wasn't spectacular.
    If you watch the games though, you can really tell who is causing us to suck.

This year Posey/Solo, last year Murph and TJ.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

He shouldn't be in the NBA at this point. He has to be one of the worst defenders in the NBA. When Rush comes back, Dunleavy should(obviously won't, but he should) get benched. I understand that he can pass - I'd rather have a good player than someone who can only pass(which is the only thing be brings to the table at this point).

I really don't think he's been that bad. There is a tremendous backlash on this board to the veterans in general, outside of Danny. We want to look for the good in the young guys and pump rainbows up their asses, so we look the other way when Paul George makes a dumb foul or loses his handle as he drives to the lane. But every time Dunleavy misses a shot or gets beat on defense, we are all over him about it. I think he has done some nice things for us. He moves well without the ball on offense, even last night in the fourth quarter when everyone else was standing around watching Danny. His defense is pretty bad, but he has been rebounding the ball decently and is in the mix for a bunch more. I'll be happy with him being in the second unit when Rush gets back, because a 6th man role is perfect for him.

27. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Awesome View Post
    He shouldn't be in the NBA at this point.
    Hyperbole at its very best.

29. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    I really don't think he's been that bad. There is a tremendous backlash on this board to the veterans in general, outside of Danny. We want to look for the good in the young guys and pump rainbows up their asses, so we look the other way when Paul George makes a dumb foul or loses his handle as he drives to the lane. But every time Dunleavy misses a shot or gets beat on defense, we are all over him about it. I think he has done some nice things for us. He moves well without the ball on offense, even last night in the fourth quarter when everyone else was standing around watching Danny. His defense is pretty bad, but he has been rebounding the ball decently and is in the mix for a bunch more. I'll be happy with him being in the second unit when Rush gets back, because a 6th man role is perfect for him.
    I posted in another thread that the Defense from Dunleavy,Solo,PG and Posey was killing us last night, I think the issue with people about Dunleavy and why we are so hard on him is because he is a veteran, the guy is been in the NBA forever and we compare his defense to Rush and DJ.

You are right, he moves well without the ball but how is this good if when he gets the ball he can't hit the shot?

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    I posted in another thread that the Defense from Dunleavy,Solo,PG and Posey was killing us last night, I think the issue with people about Dunleavy and why we are so hard on him is because he is a veteran, the guy is been in the NBA forever and we compare his defense to Rush and DJ.

You are right, he moves well without the ball but how is this good if when he gets the ball he can't hit the shot?
    His shot will fall, I'm not worried about that. Two games is a small sample size and he has been a pretty good shooter in the past.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    His shot will fall, I'm not worried about that. Two games is a small sample size and he has been a pretty good shooter in the past.
    The shot didn't fall last year and according to him he was 100% healthy, so we can't use that as an excuse.
    Last edited by vnzla81; 10-30-2010 at 03:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    I have to admit, I thought it was kind of funny that a thread dedicated to defending Mike Dunleavy starts off by saying (within the first post, anyway) that he should only play 15-20 minutes off of the bench.

I hope that's where he winds up. If George weren't a rookie, I'd want him starting, but I hope Rush earns the starting spot again when he returns, at Mike's minute's expense.

Unfortunately, Mike (and if not him, James Posey) will probably always get minutes at the 3 at Paul's expense.
    I guess my point was, that everybody's issue with Dunleavy is more or less an issue with the Coach and how he is being used. I think Dunleavy has a very "unique" skillset. I think Dunleavy could come off the bench for the Lakers and be a productive player.

Everyone on this board acts as if he is a D-league talent.
    *removed* Just keep politics and religion completely out of it, please.

34. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jon Theodore For This Useful Post: