Thread: Roy Hibbert Seems to Be Adding to His Game

Default Roy Hibbert Seems to Be Adding to His Game

http://nbaplaybook.com/2010/10/28/ro...g-to-his-game/
    NBAplaybook.com - Player Scouting Reports: Roy Hibbert
    October 28th, 2010

You will have to click on the link above to view the footage that goes along with this article. Nice read. This shows in some ways that no Roy is not the same player he has been, he has definitely added stuff to his game.....

Roy Hibbert has always been a pretty strong back to the basket player. Hibbert ranked 56th in the entire NBA when it came to post up opportunities (according to MySynergy), and shot 59% at the rim (according to HoopData). When you see moves like the up and under he put on Tim Duncan, you understand why:
    However, Hibbert seems to be adding other skills to his game, making him a more complete big man on the offensive end:

Face Up

This is something that is pretty new to Hibbertís game. I donít remember him doing this too much, and if he did, it wasnít too effective. However, Hibbert seems to look a lot more comfortable when facing up this year:
    The first clip isnít necessarily a face up, but it shows how effective Hibbert can be with that running hook of his. He is so long that there is no way you can block this shot. In the second clip, you see Hibbert but that hook together with a face up along the baseline.

Drawing Contact

Another thing that Hibbert seems to be more comfortable doing is playing through contact. Last year, Hibbert had a very low free throw rate (Hibbert had a FTR of .29/league average for centers was .39 last year), which is an indication that he didnít get to the line much (and from that, you can assume that he avoided contact). After game 1 against the Spurs, Hibbertís FTR is .47. While I understand this is just one game and that his FTR will probably drop, when you watch the video, you see that Hibbert is much more comfortable with contact down low:
    In both of these clips, you see Hibbert going up with the basketball strong, through the arms of Tim Duncan, drawing the contact and getting himself to the line. Last year, you would see Hibbert pump-faking the basketball trying to fake his defenders rather than take the contact.

Outside Jump Shot

This might be the biggest addition to Hibbertís game. Last year, the Pacersí big man shot just 33% from 16-23 feet. Against the Spurs last night? He shot 4-6 from that distance. A fluke? Maybe. However, when you watch the video clips, you tend to think otherwise:
    Hibbert makes the catch and quickly but comfortably rises up for the shot, calmly banking it in. This shot now allows Hibbert to be involved in the pick and pop with Pacersí point guards:
    Hibbert doesnít even have to knock down this shot consistently for the Pacers. He just needs to be a threat. If he knocks this shot down once or twice a game, teams are going to have to worry about it, and it opens things up for others.

ó

Roy Hibbert looks like a completely different player in my opinion this year. I know it is just one game and he isnít going to probably play at this level all season. However, if he continues to build off of these new skills that he is acquiring, he could be well on his way to being an offensive threat for the Indiana Pacers.

It seems that Bill Walton has done a good job with him this offseason.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Hibbert For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Roy Hibbert Seems to Be Adding to His Game

Go go Rik Smits v.2!
    A monster game for him on O. Would be nice though if Duncan wouldn't go 10/12 on him. More defense, big fella.

Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

He's not quite to Smits' offensive prowess, lol... but I am impressed with his development. I still think he can and should improve a bit further.
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

He was reaching too much on Duncan trying to poke the ball out. Worry about not losing your position first.

That was annoying me.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to xBulletproof For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Minneapolis View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He's not quite to Smits' offensive prowess
    Depends what age u are referring to.

Wanted to bump this. This was a great article.

And on the defensive end, he has added to his game "avoiding stupid reach in or body block fouls"

10. The Following User Says Thank You to MTM For This Useful Post: