Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bob Kravitz: Playoffs aren't in picture this season for Pacers

Chairman of the Boards 90'sNBARocked's Avatar

Default Bob Kravitz: Playoffs aren't in picture this season for Pacers

http://www.indystar.com/article/2010...ws|text|Sports
    By Bob Kravitz

It was one year ago, almost to the day, that somebody hijacked my column. Held at gunpoint, threatened to within a half-inch of my life, I was forced to relinquish my MacBook, at which time my captor, cleverly using a writing style much like my own, typed in these words:

"I think the Pacers are going to make the postseason.
    "At the very least, they're going to be a .500 basketball team. They will finish 41-41 and -- assuming that's good enough for the seventh or eighth spot in the East -- they're going to be in . . . The Pacers will be one of this year's pleasant surprises.''

Chalk it up to another heinous case of identity theft.
    With the Pacers' season beginning anew tonight in San Antonio, I can promise my readers that these are my true thoughts and words:
    The Pacers will not make the playoffs.

Let me quickly add this corollary: They will, however, battle for the eighth and final spot in the Eastern Conference, where there are several teams (the Bobcats, Knicks, Sixers and Wizards) who all should fight to reach the .500 mark. The Pacers won 32 games last year; decent health and Darren Collison's presence alone should mean another handful of victories.
    Last year at this time, I asked Pacers coach Jim O'Brien to give me three areas where the Pacers had to improve to make the playoffs.
    He told me they had to be among the top 10 in field goal percentage defense.
    He told me they needed to cut down the free throw disparity; that is, the number of free throws taken by the opponent versus the free throws attempted by the Pacers.

He told me they needed to stay healthy.
    Oh-for-three.
    They did improve slightly in field goal percentage defense, from 14th in 2008-09 to 13th in the league, and from 14th in adjusted field goal percentage to 10th. But it still wasn't close to good enough, not with the Pacers ranking next-to-last in the league in most free throws allowed (28.6).
    They closed the disparity from 6.6 free throws attempted two years ago to 4.0, but it must be lowered to one or two, at most, if this team is going to have a chance. "Too many unnecessary fouls,'' O'Brien said.

And, of course, there were injuries, lots of them.
    So I asked him the same question again Tuesday.
    "Probably all the same things I said last year,'' he said.
    Not exactly.
    He again mentioned field goal percentage defense, getting into the top 10 in what O'Brien calls "effective defense,'' a number that includes free throws and 3-point shooting percentage allowed.

He again mentioned cutting the free throw disparity even more.
    This was new: He mentioned cutting down the turnovers; the Pacers averaged 20 turnovers per preseason game and O'Brien wants that cut to 14 or fewer.
    Before I tell you why they won't make it, let me tell you some of the things I like about this team:
    It's one year from salary-cap heaven. More than $30 million will come off the books next summer, giving the Pacers the freedom to do the things they've needed to do for years.

Roy Hibbert is going to have a breakout year. He has undergone a remarkable offseason transformation with his body and, more and more, he's becoming the true face of the franchise. If the Pacers remain serious about running their offense through Hibbert, he can be a top-10 center in this league.
    Collison has struggled a little learning O'Brien's system, which leads me to wonder if it isn't time for O'Brien to gear his system around his talent. (For example, they bring in free agent Dahntay Jones, and it turns out he doesn't fit into the system because of his lack of perimeter shooting. What? They didn't know Jones had limited range when they signed him?)
    Mike Dunleavy is healthy for the first time in years, "the healthiest I've seen him,'' O'Brien said Tuesday.

So why won't they make it?
    Defense. They've been talking defense for years, but they haven't been playing any. They have the athletes, but they don't have the disposition or the will.

There's no compelling reason to think the light will suddenly go on this season.
    Lack of frontcourt depth. The hope is Josh McRoberts can give the Pacers energy and rebounds, and Jeff Foster can stay in one piece long enough to contribute, but I have my doubts. Lots of them.
    Rebounding. When Troy Murphy left, he took his nightly double-doubles with him. Even with him, Indiana was a poor rebounding team. And now?
    O'Brien, though, is confident rebounding "won't be the liability everybody thinks it will be.'' He's convinced Hibbert and McRoberts will do the job on the boards, and the wing players, notably Dunleavy and Danny Granger, will improve as rebounders.

Color me dubious.
    I think we'll see improvement, we'll see growth and we'll see them spend some time in the hunt for that last playoff spot. But they won't make it to the postseason.
    And if I'm wrong, my evil twin brother wrote this column.
    Sittin on top of the world!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to 90'sNBARocked For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Bob Kravitz: Playoffs aren't in picture this season for Pacers

This will be the only time Kravitz actually pay attention to the team until his editors tell him to write another column. When he was on the radio it was clear that he didn't follow the team that close. So his opinion is about worthless.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'd say whoever titled the article did a poor job, it contradicts one of the last lines of the article. Bob says he believes we will spend some time in the hunt for the last playoff spot, well to me that would mean that playoffs are in the picture, as the only difference between making the playoffs and not when you're in the hunt like that are minimal events so it could go either way...

Kravitz basically doesn't say anything new he hasn't been saying for the past month or so.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Meh.

We would not know how to react if Bob wrote a positive article. Bob is Indystars doom and gloom guy.

I thought this article was fairly spot on. Kravitz likes stirring up the pot just to get a reaction, but he is not always doom and gloom - he constantly praises Manning and admits that he is one of the greatest ever, and he wrote a piece defending McAfee's swim. I think his analysis was accurate, and reading between the lines, his attack was on coaching/management more than the players.

I can't say I disagree with his article. Better than many in the past, and probably those in the future. The bad articles from the past and in the future must be written by Kravitz's evil twin brother, surely not by Bob himself!

hate to say it, but i agree. we will start slow, peak late, come close to the playoffs, then miss it by a few games. same story as last year.

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'd say whoever titled the article did a poor job, it contradicts one of the last lines of the article. Bob says he believes we will spend some time in the hunt for the last playoff spot, well to me that would mean that playoffs are in the picture, as the only difference between making the playoffs and not when you're in the hunt like that are minimal events so it could go either way...

Kravitz basically doesn't say anything new he hasn't been saying for the past month or so.
    Yes this isnt an inflamatory post

The title of the article is the title of the post

Pathetic attempt

What the hell are you talking about? The title of the article is from some editor at the IndyStar, not you. Jesus, you're a pain. I didn't even notice you were the one who posted the article til you now pointed it out.

Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar

There are a lot of interesting plotlines going on with the Pacers, but Bob bypasses those to tell the city that there's hardly any point in following the team this year. In fact, he tries really hard to make a comparison to the year prior.

I back Bob up more than a lot of folks but there was no point in writing this piece.

One last thought: You can't close the free throw disparity gap if you don't emphasize taking the ball inside. That's how you get to the line. It's Basketball 101. Not shooting free throws is just another symptom of the three-ball barrage offense that we've all become so tired of.
    “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill

“If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.” - Catherine Aird

Custom User Titleist
    Mood

Ain't no sound but the sound of his feet, machine gun's ready to go
    Are you ready? Hey, are you ready for this?
    Are you hanging on the edge of your seat?
    Out of the doorway the bullets rip to the sound of the beat, Yeah

Effective FG% defense improving while cutting down unnecessary fouls while Dunleavy is playing instead of Rush?

Whachu talkin' 'bout Willis?!?!?

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Brad8888 For This Useful Post:

I'd say whoever titled the article did a poor job
    so that not inflammatory?

Quote Originally Posted by Los Angeles View Post
    There are a lot of interesting plotlines going on with the Pacers, but Bob bypasses those to tell the city that there's no point in following the team this year.

I back Bob up more than a lot of folks but there was no point in writing this piece.

One last thought: You can't close the free throw disparity gap if you don't emphasize taking the ball inside. That's how you get to the line. It's Basketball 101. Not shooting free throws is just another symptom of the three-ball barrage offense that we've all become so tired of.
    Nice to see you post again, havent seeen that lately

18. The Following User Says Thank You to 90'sNBARocked For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by 90'sNBARocked View Post
    so that not inflammatory?
    Did you title the article on IndyStar?

Did you title the article on IndyStar?
    No and if you were referring to the author and not me, then I took it incorrectly

I often find Kravitz to not be as bad as most people like to make him out to be. Yeah he is doom or gloom a lot, but that is what sells. People really don't care that much about hearing praise. They just care about hear extreme comments and doom and gloom. That is why he says what he says. It keeps him in business. As well I usually find his writing to be entertaining.

Quote Originally Posted by 90'sNBARocked View Post
    No and if you were referring to the author and not me, then I took it incorrectly
    I'm putting you on ignore after this post due to the events in the other thread, but no I would say it was pretty clear to anyone that it wasn't directed at you when I wrote it like this...

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe a few posts up
    I'd say whoever titled the article did a poor job
    Not post, not thread, article. Pretty clear it wasn't about you. Enjoy the rest of your time on PD. Peace, blissful peace and quiet.
    Last edited by Trader Joe; 10-27-2010 at 12:16 PM.

I'm putting you on ignore after this post due to the events in the other thread, but no I would say it was pretty clear to anyone that it wasn't directed at you when I wrote it like this...

Not post, not thread, article. Pretty clear it wasn't about you. Enjoy the rest of your time on PD. Peace, blissful peace and quiet.
    You promise

Banned

Kravitz is just telling us what are his predictions for this year, he is a writer and has voice, he is basically doing what we do here but in a bigger stage.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

He's being very generous with the 41-41 prediction. I predicted 36-46....but I gotta agree with the article. The truth hurts, it is what it is.
    BUILT, NOT BOUGHT

Bob Kravitz is a fool and spouts nothing but bull about the Pacers.

Easily one of the worst writers for a team I've ever seen.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Smith View Post
    He's being very generous with the 41-41 prediction. I predicted 36-46....but I gotta agree with the article. The truth hurts, it is what it is.
    it doesn't matter how many people share an opinion or view point, it is still not the truth. At least Kravitz get paid to pull predictions out of his butt. The truth is that the future has yet to unfold.

I fail to see the outrage from his article? This team ISN'T making the playoffs. He should have taken it a step further and said this team wouldn't be a factor, until JOB and LB are gone.
    Last edited by aaronb; 10-27-2010 at 02:23 PM.

29. The Following User Says Thank You to aaronb For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Smith View Post
    it doesn't matter how many people share an opinion or view point, it is still not the truth. At least Kravitz get paid to pull predictions out of his butt. The truth is that the future has yet to unfold.