Page 2 of 67 FirstFirst 1234561252 ... LastLast

Thread: 2010-2011 NBA Random Thoughts Thread part VII: Advent Children

Default Re: 2010-2011 NBA Random Thoughts Thread part VII: Advent Children

Wow, I didn't realize the season begun today until now. Crazy how the offseason went by just like that.

Am I the only one who loves the title of this thread?
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Suaveness For This Useful Post:

I think that the Raptors have maybe Klezia as a starter. And Amir Johnson if he stays out of foul trouble.

I think Stack played great last season. He should be a great fit in Miami- especially if he's still doing p90x.

I'm not sold on Chalmers as much as you are Cordobes- i thought he's been in a slump ever since his rookie year and that he's basically hit his ceiling. But who knows- maybe he needs some confidence like you suggest.

I have Houston as a playoff team as of right now. That team is so deep and they have 6 starters on that team in my opinion. How Adelman will find minutes for everyone- I don't envy his job.

Quote Originally Posted by flox View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm not sold on Chalmers as much as you are Cordobes- i thought he's been in a slump ever since his rookie year and that he's basically hit his ceiling. But who knows- maybe he needs some confidence like you suggest.
    You may be right, his shot deserted him last season and is yet to come back. In any case, his ceiling isn't very high, not much higher than were he were in his rookie season. But I think it's worth a try because Arroyo is such a poor player and House was pretty bad last season. Chalmers will certainly defend much better than any of those guys and defense + shooting + bring the ball up is what the Heat need at that position (and their best line-up is Miller + Wade + James, which means that PG won't be need to play on crunch time). If by the All-Star season the kid isnt' showing signs of improvement, you still have plenty of time to fall-back into one of the veterans.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to cordobes For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

http://nba.fanhouse.com/2010/10/26/g...t-next-summer/

Greg Oden to Be Restricted Free Agent Next Summer
    By Chris Tomasson
    NBA Fanhouse

It's official. Portland center Greg Oden will be a restricted free agent next summer.

While it's not a surprise, considering Oden has played in just 82 games in his first three seasons due to injuries, the 2007 NBA top draft pick will become the first No. 1 selection to not have signed a contract extension after his third season since Kwame Brown was taken by Washington in 2001 and became a restricted free agent in the summer of 2005.

Bill Duffy, head of BDA Sports, which represents Oden, confirmed to FanHouse on Tuesday that Oden will not sign an extension by Monday's deadline.

"There's too much that he needs to do,'' Duffy said of Oden, who still has yet to be cleared to play after suffering a serious knee injury last December and missing the rest of the season.

Duffy called it a mutual decision between Oden's camp and the Trail Blazers to not to pursue an extension. He said it never really was discussed.

"It's really a foregone conclusion,'' Duffy said. "To evaluate what he's done so far, it's incomplete.''

Nov. 1 is the deadline for players taken in the first round of the 2007 draft to sign extensions that would kick in at the start of next season. It's normally Oct. 31 but was moved back a day this fall because Oct. 31 falls on a Sunday.

Only two players have signed so far, No. 2 pick Kevin Durant with Oklahoma City, and No. 9 selection Joakim Noah with Chicago. One agent representing a player taken in that first round speculates No. 3 selection Al Horford will end up re-signing with Atlanta, but that nobody else might sign. If that is the case, the number of players locked in would be three, half of the six who got extensions last fall.

"Owners really don't want to give them out because they believe there will be a collective bargaining agreement in place next summer that is more favorable to them,'' said the agent about the belief there will be a CBA that lowers salaries after the current one expires June 30, 2011.

There have been reports, though, that Phoenix forward Jared Dudley, drafted No. 22, and New York forward Wilson Chandler, taken No. 23, could get extensions.

"We're talking, but it's hard to predict what will happen,'' said Mark Bartelstein, Dudley's agent. "We'll see if we can get something done that makes sense.''

Bartelstein does not expect two of his other clients from the 2007 draft, No. 16 Nick Young of Washington, and No. 20 Jason Smith of Philadelphia, to sign extensions.

Duffy confirmed two of his other clients from the 2007 draft, No. 4 pick Mike Conley Jr. of Memphis and No. 14 selection Al Thornton of Washington also will not sign extensions by Monday.

"We think both of them are going to have breakout seasons,'' Duffy said of the two.

One player who still has a shot at getting an extension is guard Arron Afflalo, the No. 27 pick by Detroit in 2007 who is now with Denver. Sources close to the situation said there have been talks between the Nuggets and Afflalo's representation, but no salary numbers have been exchanged. While it still remains a long shot Afflalo will get an extension due to the uncertainty about Denver's long-term future (namely that Carmelo Anthony might be traded), it's expected the sides will talk again before the deadline.

Afflalo sure didn't hurt his cause by averaging a surprising 20.4 points in the preseason. He's already said he would like to re-sign with Denver as restricted free agent next summer if he doesn't get an extension this fall.

"It's a week (before the deadline). If something happens, I will be elated,'' Afflalo said. "If not, I'll just play it out.''

A lot of first-round picks from 2007 will be doing just that this season, including the top guy taken.
    I guess I'm not surprised about Oden and Conley not getting an extension. My guess is that some Team will take a chance on Oden.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to CableKC For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Someone will definitely take a chance on Oden and it will turn out to be a great pickup for whoever that team is (though I think it's entirely likely that he still end up staying with Portland after this season).
    Grown Man Ball

Well he's restricted, so Portland will probably match, depending on what cap space under new CBA looks like.
    What will be interesting to see, is if some team offers him a salary with heavy first few years just to put Blazers in a bad position. Portland did that to Utah with Millsap, when Pritch was still the GM. Im sure Utah would love to get back at them

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

I can see Stackhouse meshing well. The Heat need more front court depth. What mid-season trade do you think they can pursue?

crazy shinaniganz BringJackBack's Avatar

KStat, I just saw on nba.com that Austin Daye is going to start at the power forward spot. I'd assume that you would probably want him to play at 2 or 3, but I'm sure you're happy either way.

How good has he been this preseason? He's averaged 16 and 6 this preseason, and I'm sure you're very happy, and he's made that kind of jump that Pacer's fan expect Paul George to make.

What do you think his ceiling is since he's a high potential player?

And then, how has his defense been? Is he going to improve as he gets older?

I'm asking these questions because I liked the kid coming out of college, and I thought he could be good. I didn't want Indiana to pick him up; instead Lawson, Jennings, etc. but anyways, yeah.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Austin daye is a stud tayshaun 2.0

14. The Following User Says Thank You to pacer4ever For This Useful Post:

Except he's even longer with a better shot. IDK about his defense though, but it could get aggravating for shooting guards if he plays the two; he'd pick of quite a few passes.

I think Austin Daye might actually be the best player on the roster, right now.

He looks physically like a taller version of Tayshaun, but he doesn't play anything like him. He's a little slower, but has a much quicker release, as well as much longer range. He's also a better rebounder and interior shot blocker. Their handles are about the only thing that is similar.

I said this on draft day, but Austin still looks to me like Rashard Lewis 2.0, with better defense. He's much, much more offensively inclined than Tayshaun. To be fair, a big part of the reason he was moved to PF is because he doesn't have the lateral quickness to stay with SFs.

He worked really, really hard over the summer to put on muscle, and it shows. He's still only about 215, which means Ben Wallace is going to have to be out there with him at all times as an enforcer.

For this year, I like him at PF. He causes a ton of problems, similar to Rashard Lewis, because big men don't want to come out 25 feet to guard him, and he has the ability to put the ball on the floor when they do.
    Last edited by Kstat; 10-26-2010 at 07:44 PM.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:

Heat have a lot of work to do right now, they really look unorganized.
    *removed* Just keep politics and religion completely out of it, please.

Mood

Time to put Unclebuck on suicide watch, I'm watching the Heat-Celtics game.

Lebron doesn't look like Magic Johnson right now... he looks like he's looking for his shot.

DWade has been more of the playmaker so far.

Ray Allen on pace to finally beat Reggie Miller's all time 3 point fg made record this season. Will he do it? http://www.nba.com/statistics/defaul...sFG3Query.html
    He made 145 of them last season.

I didn't think I would, but I kind of feel bad for the Heat (right now).

Quote Originally Posted by LoneGranger33 View Post
    I didn't think I would, but I kind of feel bad for the Heat (right now).
    Seriously? Come on you guys it's the first half of the first game of the season. They didn't even play together 5 minutes in the preseason. Jesus. Enjoy hating them while they're down, because it won't happen very often this season.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    Seriously? Come on you guys it's the first half of the first game of the season. They didn't even play together 5 minutes in the preseason. Jesus. Enjoy hating them while they're down, because it won't happen very often this season.
    You're right they got a great team, but Boston is just better. That's just the way it goes.

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    That's how I feel. I'm gonna enjoy this while it lasts.

Most teams, they'll beat simply because of the difference in talent..never mind when they start playing together..

Man, I hope Dwight Howard has a mean streak and is going to be more aggressive this season, because he would absolutely destroy that crappy Miami frontline. Miami, Boston, and Orlando are going to be so much fun to watch in the playoffs.

And if Rajon Rondo had even a mediocre jump shot, he would be one of the five best players in basketball. He won't even try to take jumpers he's so bad at them.

Quote Originally Posted by cordobes View Post
    You may be right, his shot deserted him last season and is yet to come back. In any case, his ceiling isn't very high, not much higher than were he were in his rookie season. But I think it's worth a try because Arroyo is such a poor player and House was pretty bad last season. Chalmers will certainly defend much better than any of those guys and defense + shooting + bring the ball up is what the Heat need at that position (and their best line-up is Miller + Wade + James, which means that PG won't be need to play on crunch time). If by the All-Star season the kid isnt' showing signs of improvement, you still have plenty of time to fall-back into one of the veterans.
    Good point, it is pretty much low risk. It looks bad for him however, Arroyo's only played 2 minutes so far and House is getting a bunch of minutes.

I wonder if he looks that bad in practice?

Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar

First half for the three kings: 30 points.

Me likey.
    “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill

“If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.” - Catherine Aird

Banned

I never tought Chris Bosh was that good of a player, he plays like a softer JO an older KG is killing him.
    Last edited by vnzla81; 10-26-2010 at 09:54 PM.