Page 14 of 67 FirstFirst ... 41011121314151617182464 ... LastLast

Thread: 2010-2011 NBA Random Thoughts Thread part VII: Advent Children

Twitter: @SuprCityIndyFan PacerGuy's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: 2010-2011 NBA Random Thoughts Thread part VII: Advent Children

Quote Originally Posted by LoneGranger33 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Did you guys know that Erik Spoelstra was the first Asian-American to become head coach of a major professional sports team? I did not know that.
    I might have known that if I knew who Erik Spoelstra was....

(wasn't he on C.H.I.P.S.?)

"Larry Bird: You are Officially On the Clock! (3/24/08)"
    (Watching You Like A Hawk!)

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    Miami needs a real power forward, Bosh is giving career nights to almost every power forward he plays against, he is the Troy Murphy of Miami
    Amare would have fit better in there up tempo game

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I've been saying it since the beginning of our offseason... our number one trade target should be Kevin Love.

And I think we should offer anyone but Collison and Roy. I'd rather not trade PG24 for him either (mostly because a young core of Collison/PG24/Love/Roy would be sick) but really, he'd come here and probably instantly become the best player on this team.

I like Kevin Love too, but it would take alot to get him. Probably Danny. I'd like to see how Hansbrough plays with alot of minutes before I trade for a starting PF who will eat most of the McRoberts/Hans minutes. I suppose we could make Kevin the backup center too, but that seems to be what he is *****ing about right now.
    Last edited by PaceBalls; 11-10-2010 at 11:24 AM.

Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar

I'm surprised actually that we don't already have a Kevin Love trade thread. There's a rumor that Love is just a step short from making a trade demand, which is not really all that surprising. Love's rebounding and passing are great but his defense is atrocious. That said, he's obviously talented. I wonder what the Pacers could offer - possibly a package of George, Hansbrough, pick. No reason for us to offer Granger - I'd think Minny would want younger players to go with their expected new core of Beas/Johnson/Rubio. Or, they could just try to keep Love happy, but they wouldn't be the Twolves without a few bad trades would they?

http://www.cnbc.com/id/40094251

Nivea For Men Buys Nets Locker Room Rights
    Published: Tuesday, 9 Nov 2010 | 3:49 PM ET
    Text Size
    By: Darren Rovell
    CNBC Sports Business Reporter

Digg
    * Buzz
    * Facebook
    * Twitter
    * More Share

You might have noticed the ads for brands like Dove, Neutrogena, Vaseline and Nivea, all angling for a piece of the valuable men’s skincare space.

But something isn’t working.

According to Mintel, a market research tracking firm, men are expected to spend 10.2 percent less than they did last year on this sector of the men’s grooming business.

Source: Leverage Agency
    The Nivea for Men brand will be seen behind closed doors and in the locker room after having struck a deal with the New Jersey Nets.

So how is one brand trying to get noticed?

They’ve worked their way into an NBA locker room, where they can get product placement and branding during the postgame interviews.

The Nivea for Men brand, through its sports marketing firm Leverage Agency, struck a deal with the New Jersey Nets.

Its logo adorns everything from locker room rugs to plush towels to products in each of the player’s lockers. In cased you missed any of that, the locker room itself is called the Nivea for Men Locker Room.

“Having a partnership with a team makes a lot of sense for us,” said Magnus Johnson, vice president of marketing for Beiersdorf Inc., the American subsidiary of the parent company that owns the Nivea brand. “Athletes go from jerseys to suits and ties and they’re always looking for something to make them look good.”

Source: Leverage Agency
    When the New Jersey Nets hit the showers, they'll be seeing and using the Nivea for Men brand after the team struck an unique marketing deal.

Doing a partnership with the Nets isn’t surprising given the fact that they are among the most progressive teams in terms of letting companies dream up new concepts to better reach the marketplace. Years ago, the team sold the space on the back of the visiting locker room chairs to Marquis Jet.

Johnson said if all goes well, the company will look to rolling out similar locker room partnerships with other teams.

Looking to athletes isn’t new for the category. Vaseline Men [UN 30.67 -0.13 (-0.42%) ], a Nivea competitor, uses former New York Giants great Michael Strahan in its ads, while Dove’s men line has used New York Yankees pitcher Andy Pettitte and St. Louis Cardinals slugger Albert Pujols

Banned

Rockets assign Patterson to the Vipers

http://www.foxsportshouston.com/11/0...55&feedID=3714

Wall having another one of those nights, this time at the expense of the Rockets. Only 3 minutes into the 2nd quarter with 8 points, 4 rebounds, 5 assists, and 2 steals. Just got an alley-oop from Arenas on the fast break.

Been fun to watch so far.

Mood

yao just got hurt went to the locker room

Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post
    yao just got hurt went to the locker room
    Damn, I said if that team stayed healthy they'd be a sleeper..

Well Yao and AB hurt...sheesh..

No word on how Yao was hurt. I didn't even notice him doing anything to indicate he was hurt watching the game, either. He just went to the bench, then the locker room.

http://twitter.com/Jonathan_Feigen/s...31468781817856
    Not much news on Yao yet. Injury is not on the foot. No one seems too concerned. Getting treatment and could return, but unlikely. 3 minutes ago via TweetDeck
    --------------

Bosh did a better job on Millsap than Haslem. The biggest issue for the Heat defensively is at the point-guard position. They still miss too many rotations, but that should straighten out with more time together.

--------------

http://twitter.com/kevinarnovitz/sta...43521753456640
    Rondo growls at Ray Allen, "Stay Home!" after Allen leaves Terry to collapse on Kidd in the paint. BOS surrenders 3PM to Jet. Tie game.
    Rondo was wrong. Arnovitz didn't see the play clearly either.

The guy who screwed up this defensive play was Rondo himself - instead of going under Dirk's screen allowing Kidd to take the 19fter if he wanted to, he tried to fight over it - did it very poorly btw, got tangled up with Nowitzki and was a non-factor for the rest of the play.

Rondo's decision ruined the rest of the possession for the Celtics. Glen Davis stepped up to meet Kidd and Ray Allen did what he needed to do: rotated to help the helper. Had he stayed at home, it would have a been an open dunk for Chandler. An open 3 for Terry was the lesser of two evils by a large margin.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to cordobes For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by cordobes View Post
    http://twitter.com/Jonathan_Feigen/s...31468781817856

--------------

Bosh did a better job on Millsap than Haslem. The biggest issue for the Heat defensively is at the point-guard position. They still miss too many rotations, but that should straighten out with more time together.

--------------

http://twitter.com/kevinarnovitz/sta...43521753456640

Rondo was wrong. Arnovitz didn't see the play clearly either.

The guy who screwed up this defensive play was Rondo himself - instead of going under Dirk's screen allowing Kidd to take the 19fter if he wanted to, he tried to fight over it - did it very poorly btw, got tangled up with Nowitzki and was a non-factor for the rest of the play.

Rondo's decision ruined the rest of the possession for the Celtics. Glen Davis stepped up to meet Kidd and Ray Allen did what he needed to do: rotated to help the helper. Had he stayed at home, it would have a been an open dunk for Chandler. An open 3 for Terry was the lesser of two evils by a large margin.
    ya Rondo needed to go under the screen

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by xBulletproof View Post
    Wall having another one of those nights, this time at the expense of the Rockets. Only 3 minutes into the 2nd quarter with 8 points, 4 rebounds, 5 assists, and 2 steals. Just got an alley-oop from Arenas on the fast break.

Been fun to watch so far.
    the dude just got a triple double in his sixth game in the nba. is that a record?

edit: wikipedia says lebron is the youngest player at 20 years and 20 days. john wall is 20 years and 60days(ish). but at that time lebron was into his third season, while wall has played six games... wow.

so quickest career triple double, then?
    Last edited by Frostwolf; 11-10-2010 at 10:57 PM.

6 steals too, and only one turnover.

Wall is pretty amazing already
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

Quote Originally Posted by Slick Pinkham View Post
    6 steals too, and only one turnover.

Wall is pretty amazing already
    He's a stat stuffer at this point, he can't hit a jump shot to save his life. Not a real difference maker yet, in my opinion. Everyone wants the 6-4 Point with speed and athleticism, but not one of these prototypes has a complete game. They all lack a consistent jumper.

Quote Originally Posted by wintermute View Post
    I'm surprised actually that we don't already have a Kevin Love trade thread. There's a rumor that Love is just a step short from making a trade demand, which is not really all that surprising. Love's rebounding and passing are great but his defense is atrocious. That said, he's obviously talented. I wonder what the Pacers could offer - possibly a package of George, Hansbrough, pick. No reason for us to offer Granger - I'd think Minny would want younger players to go with their expected new core of Beas/Johnson/Rubio. Or, they could just try to keep Love happy, but they wouldn't be the Twolves without a few bad trades would they?
    No way I'd offer up Granger for Love, I can't believe that is even being discussed. You want to take our best player and trade him for the best player on an even worse team than ours? I'm not even sure he would be a good fit next to Hibbert, this is the guy who ran off Al Jefferson, he obviously doesn't play well next to dominant big men. If we want to make a trade for a PF just get one that can defend and rebound. KLove rebounds, but he doesn't defend very well. Also he is going to command serious money at the same time Hibbert will be getting his new deal. Not even sure if we could afford to keep both of them.

Quote Originally Posted by graphic-er View Post
    He's a stat stuffer at this point, he can't hit a jump shot to save his life. Not a real difference maker yet, in my opinion. Everyone wants the 6-4 Point with speed and athleticism, but not one of these prototypes has a complete game. They all lack a consistent jumper.
    Can't hit a jumper for his life? He's shooting 36% from 3 right now.

And he's not a real difference maker because he isn't a consistent threat to shoot jumpers? That and turnovers are the only thing he's doing that's not exceptional. 6 whole games into his NBA career ....

This is seriously a baffling take.

*EDIT* The guy is averaging this ...

44% from the field, 36% from 3 point range, 78% from the line, with 19.3 PPG, 10.1 APG, 4.3 RPG, and 3.1 steals. Granted he's also averaging 5 turnovers per game, but again ... he's SIX whole games into his career. What exactly constitutes a "difference maker" if this doesn't?
    Last edited by xBulletproof; 11-10-2010 at 11:27 PM.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to xBulletproof For This Useful Post:

Banned

It looks like Wall is the youngest player to ever get a triple double( that is what they said on tv)
    -------------------

Utah is looking like they are for real, Millsap is a beast and is going to be an All Star this year.

Quote Originally Posted by xBulletproof View Post
    Can't hit a jumper for his life? He's shooting 36% from 3 right now.

And he's not a real difference maker because he isn't a consistent threat to shoot jumpers? That and turnovers are the only thing he's doing that's not exceptional. 6 whole games into his NBA career ....

This is seriously a baffling take.

*EDIT* The guy is averaging this ...

44% from the field, 36% from 3 point range, 78% from the line, with 19.3 PPG, 10.1 APG, 4.3 RPG, and 3.1 steals. Granted he's also averaging 5 turnovers per game, but again ... he's SIX whole games into his career. What exactly constitutes a "difference maker" if this doesn't?

Yup he is stuffing stats pretty well but 44% is very telling considering that he is mostly taking it to the basket. It should higher. Also it very easy to take him out of what he wants to do and make him take tough shots. Just give him space and dare him to shoot it. He's not been able to show yet that he can knock them down consistently.

Yup he is stuffing stats pretty well but 44% is very telling considering that he is mostly taking it to the basket. It should higher. Also it very easy to take him out of what he wants to do and make him take tough shots. Just give him space and dare him to shoot it. He's not been able to show yet that he can knock them down consistently.
    OK, so you can do everything on the court well, except shoot jumpers, and you're not a difference maker because of it.

We'll certainly have to agree to disagree on that one. That's ..... uh .... yeah. Just agree to disagree.

24. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to xBulletproof For This Useful Post:

Banned

I was never a Wall fan but the guy is destroying people, his game is pretty similar to Rondo and Rose.

By the way I would trade Danny or anybody in the Pacers for either one of those guys.

Rondo is a terrible jump shooter but at one point anyway had the highest shooting percentage of any guard in the league (and probably still does) because he gets in the paint so often. In my estimation that makes him a phenomenal shooter. Same with Tony Parker. Jump shots are overrated if you are young and blowing people's doors off. It does tend to become more important in the playoffs though. Wall is not that bad a shooter even on jump shots. He just needs to improve shot selection.
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

Mood

saying wall isnt a different maker is down right a lie thats all im gonna say.

Holy crap. When I think of Dirk, I think of his jump shooting. 3's in particular. He's never been a player I like watching (Or Dallas at all) so I somehow had missed how detached from the 3 point line he's become. He's only even attempted 4 three's this year.

All of last season he only made 51 shots from 3. I have just absolutely missed that. My guess in the little I've watched him is that he's resorting to mid range jumpers and turn around shots in the post.