Page 1 of 67 123451151 ... LastLast

Thread: 2010-2011 NBA Random Thoughts Thread part VII: Advent Children

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default 2010-2011 NBA Random Thoughts Thread part VII: Advent Children

As with the past six, the idea here is to get ideas/comments that don't need an entire thread devoted to them, and unrelated to the Pacers.

-Shaq starting for Boston tonight. Wonder how long that's going to last? I don't believe he's nearly as useless as LeBron made him look last season.

-Miami replacing Mike Miller with Jerry Stackhouse should be interesting. Unless he can turn the clock back 8 years, this is going to put a big early strain on the Miami thrice.

-Am I the only one thinking Houston can be a contender in the west with a healthy Yao?

Default Re: 2010-2011 NBA Random Thoughts Thread part VII: Advent Children

Celtics with both Oneals are going to be badasses this year. I can see JO stepping in as a starter when Shaq takes his mid season break. Between the two of them, they will have one good big man.

I like the Rockets ALOT also.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to PaceBalls For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Piggybacking off the OP and adding my own:

-I think Shaq's pretty much done as far as being a consistent, game-changing contributor, but will show flashes of his old self a handful of times throughout the year. However, he'll rarely play crunch-time minutes and might see career lows across the board. Still hard to argue with a guy like that for the LLE though.

-Stackhouse looked really good at times for the Bucks last year (I live in Madison so I saw almost every Bucks game on local FSN) and is a good hard-nosed, dependable vet. I think his PT will pretty much disappear once Mike Miller returns but he'll be very good as a stopgap player. I think Miami is going to win between 65 and 68 games this year if the big three stay healthy, but they won't win it all (Lakers).

-And as is always the case with Houston, they'll have one or two huge injuries somewhere during the season and will fall below expectations. I don't like Kevin Martin as the go-to scorer on a playoff team and I don't think you can win when your supposed franchise guy is limited to 24mpg.

-I like the Lakers winning the West (West Finals over the Mavericks) and the Celtics winning the East (East Finals over the Heat) with LA taking home a third consecutive title.

-Wall, Cousins, and Blake Griffin are the real deal. All 3 look like future allstars, all 3 miss the playoffs their first year.

-Lebron could lead the league in assists. Many wonder about chemistry, but honestly Lebron only was ball dominant because he had to be.

-why is Cleveland not one of the 3 worst teams in the league, I don't get it. Maybe Toronto and Minnesota are worse, maybe.

-Trade deadline could be crazy with the new CBA in the offing. Teams trying to dump salary left and right.

-beginning of the end for the Spurs/Duncan and Suns/Nash?
    Last edited by Speed; 10-26-2010 at 02:19 PM.

Don't sleep on the Timberwolves just yet. They've looked pretty impressive so far.

Quote Originally Posted by tora tora View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Don't sleep on the Timberwolves just yet. They've looked pretty impressive so far.
    Should this be in green? I mean I'm huge Kevin Love guy, but....

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Speed For This Useful Post:

Kevin Durant will be MVP, and the Thunder will get the number 2 seed in the west.

crazy shinaniganz BringJackBack's Avatar

- Shaq will for the first time in years be useful and productive in the Playoffs due to Doc knowing how to manage people's minutes.

- Amare Stoudamire, Luis Scola, and Kevin Love will all have very big seasons for their standards (Stoudamire the largest)

- Mike Miller is somewhat of a disappointment.

- Drew Gooden is out of favor in Milwaukee at the deadline

-The Clippers fall apart, and Washington doesn't go to the Playoffs.

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    As with the past six, the idea here is to get ideas/comments that don't need an entire thread devoted to them, and unrelated to the Pacers.

-Shaq starting for Boston tonight. Wonder how long that's going to last? I don't believe he's nearly as useless as LeBron made him look last season.

-Miami replacing Mike Miller with Jerry Stackhouse should be interesting. Unless he can turn the clock back 8 years, this is going to put a big early strain on the Miami thrice.

-Am I the only one thinking Houston can be a contender in the west with a healthy Yao?
    Shaq will start as long as Perkins is out. Boston is gonna win the East this year. They have too many shot blockers not too. Best defense in the league. They'll make every team take too many jumpers. Shaq/JO are a perfect back up big man at this point in their careers.

All Stackhouse has to do is play some D and spot up for open jumpers, he'll be fine.

Big if on a healthy Yao, I think they will start off looking great and then Yao's feet will do them in.

Almost anyone can be a contender with a healthy Yao.

Have you guys seen Blake Griffin in pregames btw? Amazing. Right now I'd give him a strong edge to win ROY over Wall. And I think he may beat Howard / Lee / Love on rebounds per game. 15-12-3 with 2 blocks is my guess.
    Last edited by ballism; 10-26-2010 at 03:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ballism View Post
    Almost anyone can be a contender with a healthy Yao.

Have you guys seen Blake Griffin in pregames btw? Amazing. Right now I'd give him a strong edge to win ROY over Wall. And I think he may beat Howard / Lee / Love on rebounds per game. 15-12-3 with 2 blocks is my guess.
    yup he looks like a beast. he is smooth and powerfull at the same time.
    Last edited by graphic-er; 10-26-2010 at 03:30 PM.

Shaq is interesting, but he's far from a big factor in my mind. He's there for Miami and Orlando almost exclusively. It might work, but we are talking about a guy who's going to play what 50 games, and 20-25 mins even against those two teams. He might work out better than in Cleveland because he killed their game plan or what should have been there game plan.

As for JO, I'm sorry but I just don't see him even being a factor. I don't think he's any better than Haslem at this point. He's to the point in his career that he's the bottom guy on the poster.

Honestly, I'd play big baby over both of them, most of the time.

Other thoughts

Is there a legit starting player on Toronto other than Bargnani?

Same with Minnesota and Love.

Will Utah be as good without Boozer? Will Chicago be better with him?

Is Carmelo in eff you mode or start mailing it in, if they start to lose?

Isn't this the year that Artest starts to hurt his team by doing something damagingly odd? He seems quiet, a little too quiet.

Droppin' knowledge, yo. Mackey_Rose's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Speed View Post
    Isn't this the year that Artest starts to hurt his team by doing something damagingly odd? He seems quiet, a little too quiet.
    I have different feelings about Ron Artest than most Pacers fans. He was a major factor in the destruction of our franchise, but off the court, he is as fine a human being as you can meet. Really is a great guy.

It's always possible that he will lose his cool again and do something crazy, but I hope not. I will always root for him.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Other thoughts

I'd like to think Calderon, even though Jack probably starts ahead of him.

Wesley Johnson I think will be a star.

Will Utah be as good without Boozer? Will Chicago be better with him?
    I think they'll be better. For the first time they actually have a legit low-post threat. Deron won't have to create every shot on his own.

Is Carmelo in eff you mode or start mailing it in, if they start to lose?
    He hasn't started already?

He's been marginalized by all the talent they have. They don't rely on him much, so his antics don't cause as much of a problem. Call it she Sheed effect.

Sports Logo

Am I the only one thinking Houston can be a contender in the west with a healthy Yao?
    I sort of agree...I think that they are Playoff bound...but at best..I can see them make it into the 2nd round...but not the Conference Finals.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Thingfish View Post
    Celtics with both Oneals are going to be badasses this year. I can see JO stepping in as a starter when Shaq takes his mid season break. Between the two of them, they will have one good big man.
    I agree with the Celtics and even add in that the Lakers did the same....they basically added ALOT of depth to their team.

Look at the Celtics rotation ( 10 man deep ):

Rondo/Allen/Pierce/KG/Perkins/JONeal/Shaq/Nate/BigBaby/Marquis

Look at the Lakers rotation ( 10 man deep ):

Fisher/Kobe/Artest/Gasol/Bynum/Odom/Blake/Barnes/Shannon/Vujacic

What both Teams have done is added significant depth and veteran experience to their lineups. On paper, both Teams look scary IMHO and are built to outlast / outman the Heat.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Boogie Cousins, Tyreke Evans and Omri Casspi are legit and Sacramento will surprise a lot of people this season and make a push for 40 wins out west.
    Grown Man Ball

The NBA is back - all is right with the world. Can't wait to see Heat at the Celtics.

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    The NBA is back - all is right with the world. Can't wait to see Heat at the Celtics.
    Couldn't agree more. I'm stupid psyched to watch the games tonight. Tomorrow night is going to be euphoric though. I wonder how long until the optimism wears off for me.
    Grown Man Ball

Other thoughts

I don't like Bargnani as a starter. I think I can think of 60 other big men I'd start over him - something to try some other day. I'd need to be desperate for points to play Bargnani starting minutes.

Kleiza is a modest starter. I'm hoping for Amir Johnson to play more minutes and to improve on the fouling issues. I can also see Jarret Jack having a great season.

Ridnour is an excellent backup/modest starter.

Webster is a very good role-player. Ditto for Brewer. I think Wes Johnson will also be a good player, even if not a star. A quality starter. He probably won't be there this season though. Milicic can be a Kendrick Perkins type and level of player.

I think they have plenty of players that are capable starters in the right situation + very good depth. They just lack above average players (with the exception of Love).

I agree on Houston. So long as they stay healthy, they'll challenge the Lakers. But so long as the Lakers are healthy, they'll more than likely win.

I think MVP goes to KD or Kobe this season. Just a prediction.

The Spurs..they need better role players. I don't think their "dynasty" would be getting too old if they had others who could contribute. Obviously Jefferson is important..but I just don't feel like they're deep.

I feel bad for Nash. It's funny, the guys who whine and moan end up with good teams (Kobe, Lebron) Nash kept his mouth shut and did his job. I'd like to see him get to the Finals, but I doubt it'll happen.

I see chemistry issues, eventually, with the Heat. But I don't know if it'll be this season.

Quote Originally Posted by cordobes View Post
    I don't like Bargnani as a starter. I think I can think of 60 other big men I'd start over him - something to try some other day. I'd need to be desperate for points to play Bargnani starting minutes.

Kleiza is a modest starter. I'm hoping for Amir Johnson to play more minutes and to improve on the fouling issues. I can also see Jarret Jack having a great season.

Ridnour is an excellent backup/modest starter.

Webster is a very good role-player. Ditto for Brewer. I think Wes Johnson will also be a good player, even if not a star. A quality starter. He probably won't be there this season though. Milicic can be a Kendrick Perkins type and level of player.

I think they have plenty of players that are capable starters in the right situation + very good depth. They just lack above average players (with the exception of Love).
    I think if you put Corey Brewer on a veteran team and just tell him not to worry about anything but locking down his man, he would be absolute asset on a championship caliber team. The kid is what most people around here claim Brandon Rush is (not that Rush isn't a good defender), a lockdown defender.
    Grown Man Ball

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SMosley21 For This Useful Post:

I thought Stackhouse played decently for the Bucks last season. They'll miss Mike Miller, but James Jones and Stackhouse (and one of the small-guards like House here and there) should be enough to hold the fort for awhile. The big 3 needs minutes on the floor together anyway.

What I don't like about Miami is that they're playing Arroyo ahead of Chalmers (and now, with Miller's injury, I like it even less, because they'll have one of the PGs on the floor every second). Chalmers is losing confidence and he'd be a much better fit later on - better defender and shooter than Arroyo, less mistaken prone too. He should be playing 25-30mpg now, rebuilding his self-confidence and building team chemistry.

I have Houston as a top-3 team in the West.

Quote Originally Posted by cordobes View Post
    Kleiza looks beefy compared to when he was in Denver. He looks like he could bang around with power forwards now. But is he willing to defend, who knows.
    Also, his Euro stint should help his confidence a bit, it's probably more rewarding to dominate Euroleague than back up Melo for 15 min a game.
    Either way, I'm looking for him to be their 2nd best player. Anything less would be dissappointing.

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ballism For This Useful Post: