Thread: Fantasy basketball help

Default Fantasy basketball help

Hey guys I was wondering if any of you all had tips for drafting for fantasy basketball. The format of the starter is all five positions and 3 utility players. The draft is auction style.

Anybody have any tips or players you would draft for sure?

Little new to the fantasy basketball scene. Thanks.

Chairman of the Boards 90'sNBARocked's Avatar

Default Re: Fantasy basketball help

Check out an article on many of the psorts websites like Yahoo, ESPN, Si , etc,

they will have "draft kits" that breakdown each player and positon, plus give you pointers

http://games.espn.go.com/frontpage/fbadraftkit
    Sittin on top of the world!

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

make sure you draft Blake Griffin. Depending on the rankings, BG may fall to the middle rounds. Also be sure to draft John Wall.

Quote Originally Posted by bhaas0532 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    make sure you draft Blake Griffin. Depending on the rankings, BG may fall to the middle rounds. Also be sure to draft John Wall.
    Auction drafts work differently than that. In my league, Griffin and Wall were both nominated really early and went for way too much money.

My tips: Don't get excited at the beginning of the auction draft and overpay for players. Don't become too attached to the idea of getting any one player. Save money early so that you can outbid everyone when the prices fall to $10-$25. Know who you are playing with. Are they fellow Pacer fans? Nominate people early that you think the other guys in your league will overbid for. I play with a few Hawks fans and watched in glee as they grossly overpaid for Josh Smith, Al Horford, and Joe Johnson. Go for guys who play PG, and PF/C. They have the most value and SG/SF types are a dime a dozen and available late. Good sleepers you can get for late and cheap: Hibbert (unless you are playing with other Pacer fans who will inflate his value), Jrue Holiday, DeMarcus Cousins, Trevor Ariza, Linas Kleiza.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Great post cdash.

One thing I would mention for auction is that you might run out of roster spots before you run out of money if you wait too long. Typically I like to go after one of the top 10 players and then sit on my money so i can fill out my roster with $10 players who are worth more like $20 or just have a lot of upside. It really depends on your league though. If guys come out swinging and are paying 80+ dollars out of 200 for the top couple of guys, I would hold off. If they are going for 60, then I would jump all over one of them.I would be hesitant to go with the strategy of spending all of your money on two or three guys. You will be starting a lot of $1 players, which might not be a bad thing if you snare a lot of quality players, but it typically doesn't work out so well. Especially if one goes down for an extended period of time. I.E. Chris Paul and Danny Granger last year. That strategy can easily leave you last in the league. If your $1 players are amazing, you can win it all too, but most people I have seen use that strategy don't get great production from those $1 guys. Just my thoughts.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to pacergod2 For This Useful Post:

I'd love to graduate to an auction draft in either football or basketball. By most accounts they are alot more fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Speed View Post
    I'd love to graduate to an auction draft in either football or basketball. By most accounts they are alot more fun.
    They really are. First off, you have a chance at every player in the league. If you are willing to dish out the money, you can get them. It requires more strategy and planning, much less luck. My fantasy basketball team is all a bunch of guys who fit what I am trying to do and who I want to root for. In an auction draft I am not cornered into drafting Kobe Bryant or Kevin Garnett just because they have the most value at the slot I'm picking at. This is my first year doing it, but the draft was infinitely more exciting.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by pacergod2 View Post
    Great post cdash.

One thing I would mention for auction is that you might run out of roster spots before you run out of money if you wait too long. Typically I like to go after one of the top 10 players and then sit on my money so i can fill out my roster with $10 players who are worth more like $20 or just have a lot of upside. It really depends on your league though. If guys come out swinging and are paying 80+ dollars out of 200 for the top couple of guys, I would hold off. If they are going for 60, then I would jump all over one of them.I would be hesitant to go with the strategy of spending all of your money on two or three guys. You will be starting a lot of $1 players, which might not be a bad thing if you snare a lot of quality players, but it typically doesn't work out so well. Especially if one goes down for an extended period of time. I.E. Chris Paul and Danny Granger last year. That strategy can easily leave you last in the league. If your $1 players are amazing, you can win it all too, but most people I have seen use that strategy don't get great production from those $1 guys. Just my thoughts.
    Yeah, my team lacks the elite guys, but they went for so much money in my league that it wasn't worth it. So I have all of those guys like Rondo, Iguodala, Tyreke Evans, etc. who are just below the top tier, but I got much better value on them and then got my pick of the litter of guys in the next level. I controlled the draft after a certain point because everyone else had blown their flexibility early.

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    They really are. First off, you have a chance at every player in the league. If you are willing to dish out the money, you can get them. It requires more strategy and planning, much less luck. My fantasy basketball team is all a bunch of guys who fit what I am trying to do and who I want to root for. In an auction draft I am not cornered into drafting Kobe Bryant or Kevin Garnett just because they have the most value at the slot I'm picking at. This is my first year doing it, but the draft was infinitely more exciting.
    Was it a live draft with guys all present? Don't you have to do it like that?

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Yeah or else you get screwed with autopicks.

Quote Originally Posted by Speed View Post
    Was it a live draft with guys all present? Don't you have to do it like that?
    Yeah we were all there. We weren't all in one place or anything, but you really, really need to be present for it, because autopicks will screw you.

Thanks guys. From your advice I hope to pay in the higher range for one player then bide my time and pick up players with upside in the later rounds. I do hope to get Tyreke Evans seeing as I think he might be a bit of a sleeper for those not really in tune with the less popular teams (kings).

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    Auction drafts work differently than that. In my league, Griffin and Wall were both nominated really early and went for way too much money.

My tips: Don't get excited at the beginning of the auction draft and overpay for players. Don't become too attached to the idea of getting any one player. Save money early so that you can outbid everyone when the prices fall to $10-$25. Know who you are playing with. Are they fellow Pacer fans? Nominate people early that you think the other guys in your league will overbid for. I play with a few Hawks fans and watched in glee as they grossly overpaid for Josh Smith, Al Horford, and Joe Johnson. Go for guys who play PG, and PF/C. They have the most value and SG/SF types are a dime a dozen and available late. Good sleepers you can get for late and cheap: Hibbert (unless you are playing with other Pacer fans who will inflate his value), Jrue Holiday, DeMarcus Cousins, Trevor Ariza, Linas Kleiza.
    i landed kleiza missed out on hibbert and cousins but i had them in my sights i also would add dorrell wright in as a sleeper

GRANGER!! FOR THE WIN.............. IT'S GOOD!!!!!

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Yeah. Auction drafts are MUCH, MUCH better. Especially in football.

The top guys tend to be head and shoulders above the rest. When everyone has the same shot at Adrian Peterson or Kevin Durant, nobody can bi*ch about not having a chance at them. It is much more fair and there is way more strategy behind it because you aren't dependent on what yahoo, espn or cbs "experts" think.

My team is solid. I screwed up a bit by waiting a little too long. My depth is ridiculous, but my league isn't head to head so depth doesn't help much. If this was a head-to-head league I would like my team a heck of a lot more. I have Wall, Arenas, BJennings, BRoy, BGriffin, Hickson, Hibbert, Mayo, Ming, Boozer, RLopez, Millsap and Bynum. 12 team league.

I went with a lot of young bigs. They are active on the glass and have good percentages, which help make up for Jennings, Arenas, and Mayo's poor FG percentage. My team will struggle because I dont have elite guys in any one category. No Dwight Howard to dominate blocks and rebounds for me (or destroy my ft%) or Nash to dominate assists. Guys who are elite in a category are very important for your roster, but tend to go for a lot of money.

What does everybody else who has a team have for a roster?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I haven't done fantasy basketball in a many years and I took this on a whim without much time to do any homework, but I'm okay with my team. Rather than listing it, I took a screenshot. Any input would be great. It's a 12 team league, and as soon as I saw it played 2 centers, I jumped all over it before anything else.

need some help and didn't want to start a whole different thread....so I go the first pick in my fantasy draft but I've never played fantasy before. Who do you guys think is the best pick? Everyone here has pretty good basketball knowledge so any help is appreciated oh yea, it starts in 40 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Pacerfan View Post
    need some help and didn't want to start a whole different thread....so I go the first pick in my fantasy draft but I've never played fantasy before. Who do you guys think is the best pick? Everyone here has pretty good basketball knowledge so any help is appreciated oh yea, it starts in 40 minutes.
    Durant. Everyone else has question marks. The three Heat guys might eat away at each other's stats. Chris Paul isn't a bad choice, but you worry about injuries with him.

I really like your team xBulletproof. Batum has been awesome this year and you have some established guys Howard and Amare that you know will put up numbers.