Thread: WP: Nike to become NFL's official uniform manufacturer

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default WP: Nike to become NFL's official uniform manufacturer

http://views.washingtonpost.com/thel...orm-maker.html

CHICAGO--Nike will become the NFL's official uniform maker beginning in 2012, the league announced Tuesday during an owners' meeting here.

Reebok is the league's official outfitter through the 2011 season.

"We have spent considerable time the past few years rigorously evaluating our apparel business," Eric Grubman, the league's executive vice president of NFL ventures and business operations, said in a written statement. "The new framework will provide fans with a wider breadth of merchandise from global category leaders in the sports licensed apparel industry."

Nike will be one of seven major apparel partners with the NFL beginning in April 2012, the league announced. Nike will produce all on-field apparel worn by players and coaches, including uniforms.

According to the league's announcement, the NFL's other apparel partners beginning in 2012 will be New Era, Under Armour, G-III, VF, Outerstuff and '47 Brand.

New Era will be the league's official supplier of on-field headwear, and Under Armour will continue to sponsor the NFL scouting combine.

By Mark Maske | October 12, 2010; 12:07 PM ET | Category: League

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: WP: Nike to become NFL's official uniform manufacturer

Damm nike is taking over

When Nike had the contract before, there jerseys were actually cheaper.

So I welcome this move

Mood

Doubt the jerseys will be cheaper than they are now. Hopefully there isn't a massive redesign, I don't like when whole leagues change the jerseys (at least the NBA only changed the make of the jerseys not the designs).

The main thing I'm hoping for is they fix the teams with the super stretchy jerseys (Colts, Giants, Jags, Packers that I know of) so that everyone matches. Addai and the dlineman look like they're wearing different (crappy) jerseys than everyone else.

Reebok made about $350M per year off of NFL apparel. With new designs and marketing by Nike, market analysts state that Nike's take might approach $800M to $1B per year.

So, for what it is worth, since Finish Line sells substantially more Nike product than Reebok product, analysts are also suggesting that Finish Line will become an even better investment in the market.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Pig Nash View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The main thing I'm hoping for is they fix the teams with the super stretchy jerseys (Colts, Giants, Jags, Packers that I know of) so that everyone matches. Addai and the dlineman look like they're wearing different (crappy) jerseys than everyone else.
    That's a new prototype jersey that many teams have been testing out for the past couple seasons. I agree, though, they look VERY cheap. Makes it look like the players are wearing T-shirts instead of jerseys.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Day-V For This Useful Post:

Of course the bigger question now is do you want Peyton's Sony or Eli's Samsung television?
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....