Thread: Only 2 minutes for Carmelo

Banned

Default Only 2 minutes for Carmelo

Very interesting situation brewing with Carmelo Anthony. Doesn't seem to be much of a team player.

http://sports.espn.go.com/oly/summer...ory?id=1862759

excerpt...

Switching from Jefferson to Marion at the start of the second half wasn't the only change Brown made. He also kept Carmelo Anthony on the bench for all but 2 minutes.

"I don't need a guy who doesn't want to buy in,'' Brown said. "How you play, how you practice and how you act determines how much you play.''

James seems to have received that message, accepting his role off the bench and trying to provide the energy that the U.S. team has been missing.

Default Re: Only 2 minutes for Carmelo

I have watched most of the games, and from what I have seen the best lineup is

Wade
    Iverson
    Marion
    Odom
    Duncan

With James being the 6th man.

Boozer has played OK

But Marbury and Jefferson have been bad. Against the really good teams LB may have to change teh starting lineup.

Mello is a very talented offensive player but I am not surprised he has had a hard time with Larry Brown.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

http://msn.foxsports.com/story/2677388

Carmelo Anthony is a disgrace. After complaining about not playing, he's forced shots and passes, and played only imaginary defense when he took the court against both Greece and Australia. He belongs right where Larry Brown has put him on the bench. But even when he's glued to the pines, Anthony is embarrassing himself and his country. AI was taking a blow when the U.S. was trailing Australia by double-digits, and he showed his competitive intensity and his fiery disappointment by cursing after the Aussies scored again. Meanwhile, two seats away, Anthony was laughing.

Also, after the final horn, Anthony had to be forcefully summoned by Stephon Marbury to join the traditional postgame camaraderie between the two teams.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

The wierd thing is, 'Melo was playing superb in the exhibitions, on both ends of the floor. Wonder what happened.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Quote Originally Posted by Kegboy
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The wierd thing is, 'Melo was playing superb in the exhibitions, on both ends of the floor. Wonder what happened.
    He wasn't allowed/couldn't bring Marijuana with him to Athens.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...elo/index.html

If Anthony is legitimately at a loss to understand what he's doing wrong, let me call attention to his pregame "routine" on Thursday. I watched him for 20 minutes, never took my eyes off of him. Here's what I saw: He never -- repeat, never -- went under the basket to retrieve the ball and throw it back to a teammate. Instead, Tim Duncan, the best player on the team, a two-time NBA champion and a two-time MVP, threw it back to him. The only time 'Melo parted with the ball was when two of them bounced toward him at the same time. He never -- repeat, never -- worked on any particular move, never jab-stepped, never took a pull-up jumper, never got the ball and dribbled into an imaginary seam -- a situation he would find in a game. On three or four occasions, however, he did kind of sweep the ball toward the basket in the event the United States might need a 20-foot shovel shot at some point in the game.

After the game, in which he played about two minutes, he turned and abruptly headed for the locker room but happened to notice that his team was gathering at mid-court for the obligatory Olympian two-team handshake and wave to the crowd. 'Melo half-heartedly ambled over, shook a hand or two and turned away again. Simply put, he doesn't get it. He doesn't begin to get it.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

Formerly PacerFanInAZ Cactus Jax's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

He should be just sent home right now. The team doesn't need his negative attitude, and he doesn't deserve a gold or any other medal (if they get one) the team gets.

A guy like him is the exact reason why these european players are beating this team now; selfish, athletic players. He was WAY overrated for being an outside shooter on this team.

Also, didn't he have at least one altercation with the Nuggets coach this season? The guy seems to be a bit of a problem child.
    [edit=52=1093018530][/edit]
    "It's just unfortunate that we've been penalized so much this year and nothing has happened to the Pistons, the Palace or the city of Detroit," he said. "It's almost like it's always our fault. The league knows it. They should be ashamed of themselves to let the security be as lax as it is around here."

----------------- Reggie Miller

Well, he's on the team. It's very possible he may "get it" by the end of the tourney - in which case LB will have done the Nuggets a huge service.

What the hey - Marbury finally figured it out the second half of the last game (though he hadn't been a head case) so maybe 'Melo will get his act together.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

Brown said repeatedly that he would have chosen Melo over Darko if he had the choice (of course he actually uttered the PC version). While I know Darko hasn't done anything yet, I wonder if Brown is now glad that wish did not come true.

(Though maybe if he had gotten him, Carmelo would have gotten over the cours of an entire NBA season and by really helping the Olympic team.)

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Fool
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Brown said repeatedly that he would have chosen Melo over Darko if he had the choice (of course he actually uttered the PC version). While I know Darko hasn't done anything yet, I wonder if Brown is now glad that wish did not come true.

(Though maybe if he had gotten him, Carmelo would have gotten over the cours of an entire NBA season and by really helping the Olympic team.)
    I certainly makes one wonder if Carmelo played for the Pistons and Darko played for Denver, their roles might have been reversed to some extent.

Maybe Darko would have had the super rookie year, scored about 14 per game with 8 rgp, and led his team to its best record in 10 years. And maybe Carmelo might have been a malcontent rookie who only got in occasionally during garbage time and spent much of the season in the coaches doghouse. He might have been viewed as full of talent, but not quite focused on "playing the right way".

If nothing else, it would make a good Twilight Zone episode.

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Brown is also getting what he deserves, to a certain extent.

How is Carmello/ Marburry any different from PPierce and Baron during the World Championships? Shame on the selection committee, which was LB's puppet.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you