Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pacers' O'Brien picks Rush to fill in for injured Granger (Indystar)

Default Pacers' O'Brien picks Rush to fill in for injured Granger (Indystar)

Pacers' O'Brien picks Rush to fill in for injured Granger
    (Indystar) - Mike Wells

http://www.indystar.com/article/2010...njured-Granger

Indiana Pacers swingman Brandon Rush did a double take after he heard what coach Jim O'Brien had to say.

Rush will start the final two preseason games -- tonight at Minnesota and Friday at Chicago -- because Danny Granger is out with an ankle injury. O'Brien said he wants to continue using Paul George as the first wing player off the bench.

"I was real surprised when I found out I would be starting," Rush said. "I thought I was done playing because of my suspension."

Granger is expected to return in time for the season opener, Oct. 27 at San Antonio.

Rush is playing his final two games for several weeks due to a five-game regular-season suspension stemming from three positive drug tests.

"I want to give (Rush) a chance to be in a role that he was used in last year," O'Brien said. "These are his last chances to get to play. We'll see where he is and what he can give us in these last two games."

O'Brien might have started George if it were later in the season. But George is still adapting to his role as primary wing reserve.

O'Brien plans to go with a three-man rotation on the wing -- Granger, George and Mike Dunleavy -- during the regular season.

"I'm comfortable with coming off the bench," George said. "I'm still trying to learn things myself. This gives me a chance to observe what's going on amongst the starters and how certain guys play on the other team. I'll have a better feel for things when I check in the game."

Rush has only played 38 minutes during the preseason. He did not appear in the past two games because O'Brien had said he would use rotation players in the final four preseason games.

"I'll probably be a little rusty," Rush said. "I should be OK once I make a few shots. I want to go out there and give them something to remember for when I get back from my suspension."

Veterans Dahntay Jones and James Posey were also options to replace Granger in the starting lineup. But O'Brien knows what he will get out of Posey, and Jones, who is on the trade block, does not fit in with the offensive scheme due to his lack of productivity from the perimeter.

The Pacers were outscored by 17 points during the five minutes Jones was on the court in last week's game against New Orleans.

"We'll use James, we'll use Dahntay and we'll hopefully use Lance (Stephenson) at that spot," O'Brien said. "We'll give everybody a good look at it in the last two games."

Stephenson goes to court

Stephenson is scheduled to appear in a New York court today to face charges stemming from an alleged incident with his girlfriend in August.

Prosecutors said Stephenson pushed his girlfriend down a flight of stairs, grabbed her and slammed her head on the bottom step. He faces several charges, including felony assault, which carries a minimum seven-year sentence.

Stephenson is scheduled to fly to Minneapolis immediately after the hearing.

Granger misses team plane

Granger posted several messages on Twitter about missing the team flight to Minneapolis on Monday when his car was towed for having expired tags.

"Yep. . . They just took my car lol. . . Now I'm standing on the interstate lookin like an idiot lol," Granger wrote on his page.

Pacers pick up options

The Pacers announced they picked up the $1.8 million option on forward Tyler Hansbrough and the $1.2 million option on point guard Darren Collison for the 2011-12 season.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Pacerfan For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Pacers' O'Brien picks Rush to fill in for injured Granger (Indystar)

Quote Originally Posted by Pacerfan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The Pacers announced they picked up the $1.8 million option on forward Tyler Hansbrough and the $1.2 million option on point guard Darren Collison for the 2011-12 season.
    Thank you Jeff.

Custom User Titleist
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Pacers' O'Brien picks Rush to fill in for injured Granger (Indystar)

I don't blame Brandon for being confused.

He had already accepted the fact that he was on the outside looking in, being singled out by O'Brien for being behind three guys at the wing position, and due to how he has been played due to his suspension.

Now, he not only is back playing, but is the starter for the last two games of the preseason when the team is supposedly playing what it anticipates being the regular rotation. I hope he makes the best of it and shows how things could be if more of the offense comes through him with guys who are both 1) more able to pass to him and 2) more willing to receive passes from him in the flow of the offense.

Could the Pacers be preparing for a long term ankle injury for Granger that stretches well beyond the five game suspension? Or, could we have just witnessed yet another example of Jim O'Brien saying one thing and immediately following it up with something entirely different?

I suspect it is a little bit of both, but, to Jim O'Brien's credit, he is making the right choice by not sticking to what he had stated in the media, and is adjusting the plan to reflect the reality of Danny being injured, and is using the player who is the most capable of filling in for him to do so for the continuity of the remainder of the team going into the regular season.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

The Pacers front office is definitely in tune with Jim O'Brien on this one.

"I want to give (Rush) a chance to be in a role that he was used in last year," O'Brien said. "These are his last chances to get to play. We'll see where he is and what he can give us in these last two games."

Notice how the extensions to Collison and Hansborough happened now. Hibbert was extended a while ago to show him how important he is. Hansborough and Collison were both extended and BRush is left without an extension still. The front office wants to see this from Brandon:

"I'll probably be a little rusty," Rush said. "I should be OK once I make a few shots. I want to go out there and give them something to remember for when I get back from my suspension."

They are trying to figure out a way to motivate Brandon. When he plays aggressive, he is a very valuable player. He is still valuable when he isn't because he is good defensively, but for him to be a more complete player, he must improve his aggressiveness offensively. I love the tactics being used by the front office. Yeah, they might have slandered him in a sense by using the suspension against him, but they are now rewarding him with some playing time going into his suspension. His suspension will not be over until after the team has to make a decision on his rookie extension. The timing by the front office and JOB with this is excellent. Set the tone for the way you expect him to play. If BRush doesn't have the motivation to look to score these next two games, then he probably doesn't deserve an extension.

I thought this was interesting:

O'Brien plans to go with a three-man rotation on the wing -- Granger, George and Mike Dunleavy -- during the regular season.
    So no Posey?

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post

So no Posey?
    Power forward. Duh.

Let's wait and see what he does, first.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Sookie View Post
    Power forward. Duh.

Let's wait and see what he does, first.
    I'm hoping we get Brandon Bass or an actual PF so O'Brien does have to do this.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad8888 View Post

He had already accepted the fact that he was on the outside looking in, being singled out by O'Brien for being behind three guys at the wing position, and due to how he has been played due to his suspension.

Now, he not only is back playing, but is the starter for the last two games of the preseason when the team is supposedly playing what it anticipates being the regular rotation. I hope he makes the best of it and shows how things could be if more of the offense comes through him with guys who are both 1) more able to pass to him and 2) more willing to receive passes from him in the flow of the offense.

Could the Pacers be preparing for a long term ankle injury for Granger that stretches well beyond the five game suspension? Or, could we have just witnessed yet another example of Jim O'Brien saying one thing and immediately following it up with something entirely different?

I suspect it is a little bit of both, but, to Jim O'Brien's credit, he is making the right choice by not sticking to what he had stated in the media, and is adjusting the plan to reflect the reality of Danny being injured, and is using the player who is the most capable of filling in for him to do so for the continuity of the remainder of the team going into the regular season.
    Actually I'm confused by your confusion.

The regular rotation is Granger - Dunleavy - George. Danny's injury is making it so that is impossible to do so whoever plays min. here will be out of the normal stated rotation.

If he started Dunleavy & George together and brought someone else off of the bench it still would not be the stated rotation.

The roster is set, the rotation is set so it makes sense to use the player that has started in the past to fill in till the regular starter returns.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Peck For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Brad8888 View Post
    motivation. its whats for lunch.
    "Sometimes, when you look Andy in the eyes, you get a feeling somebody else is driving." -- David Letterman

I'm starting to wonder if Jim has a split personality. What he says is often the polar opposite of what he does.

This is good... It seems pretty obvious from all of the comments and the suspension that Rush is on the outside looking in. Granger's injury just gives Rush one last opportunity to really push into the rotation before the season gets underway.

Maybe he will do something... but if he doesn't its still just preseason. Good looks

crazy shinaniganz BringJackBack's Avatar

Lol at the people who still wouldn't be happy with any single thing Jim O'Brien has done even if he brought a cake to their house.

You guys are mad that he's starting Rush, but you same people would be just as mad if he didn't. Get off of him for once. I think we can all agree that we don't like him, but quit being biased and don't get mad at him for doing something even if it's the right thing to do.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to BringJackBack For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BringJackBack View Post
    Lol at the people who still wouldn't be happy with any single thing Jim O'Brien has done even if he brought a cake to their house.

You guys are mad that he's starting Rush, but you same people would be just as mad if he didn't. Get off of him for once. I think we can all agree that we don't like him, but quit being biased and don't get mad at him for doing something even if it's the right thing to do.
    It's not about starting Rush.

It's about him saying Rush wasn't going to get any more PT, because of his suspension, and then he does the exact opposite, and not only plays him but starts him.

It's becoming a regular routine with Jim. Say one thing, do the exact opposite. The issue doesn't have squat to do with Rush.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:

crazy shinaniganz BringJackBack's Avatar

But still, Danny got injured and DJ or Posey can't seriously be expected to start. The whole fanbase would die. It's more of a "next man up" thing to be sort of cliche.

We could start George, but apparently Jim has a gameplan for him and he doesn't want to mess that up. We don't want to see Paul George go 2-17. Who would we start then?

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    I'm starting to wonder if Jim has a split personality. What he says is often the polar opposite of what he does.
    Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    It's not about starting Rush.

It's about him saying Rush wasn't going to get any more PT, because of his suspension, and then he does the exact opposite, and not only plays him but starts him.

It's becoming a regular routine with Jim. Say one thing, do the exact opposite. The issue doesn't have squat to do with Rush.
    Not a big deal, things change. Even Earl recognizes that.
    Last edited by Will Galen; 10-19-2010 at 03:57 PM.

I agree with you, I think it was dumb to lock yourself into a position. He never should have said the first part of the scenario.

This is just a page out of Rick Carlisle's book. Preserve the rotation, have the 3rd string leap frog the backup in the event that the starter goes out.

Wing depth chart appears to be Granger, Dunleavy, George, Rush, Posey, Jones, with the latter three not normally seeing much time. (Well, Posey may play the 4, I guess).

When Jim said Rush wasn't going to play, he had a healthy Danny Granger.

Makes perfect sense to me.

22. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

It makes sense, you just don't lock yourself in by saying something publicly.

Obviously it's surprising that he's going against what he originally said, because Rush was surprised. And if that's the case, then why didn't he play the other night when Danny went down?

It's just like Andy Reid when Kolb went down. "Kolb is our starter." Then he looks at the tape of Vick and changes his mind. Vick gets hurt, in comes Kolb. "Vick is our starter." And as of now it looks like Kolb is starting again.

Just don't make a comment. Or atleast give yourself an outclause.

"We've decided to let players who are available for the first 5 games get the majority of the preseason PT. Rush is aware of the situation, and we will continue that path, unless something changes."

Boom, problem solved.

This is just a page out of Rick Carlisle's book. Preserve the rotation, have the 3rd string leap frog the backup in the event that the starter goes out.

Wing depth chart appears to be Granger, Dunleavy, George, Rush, Posey, Jones, with the latter three not normally seeing much time. (Well, Posey may play the 4, I guess).

When Jim said Rush wasn't going to play, he had a healthy Danny Granger.

Makes perfect sense to me.
    This makes since. I also don't mind giving Rush a chance. Let's see if he wants it or not.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to pacers74 For This Useful Post:

I'm with you. I found this to be a far more important statement than whatever is going on with Rush.

Before, JOB was stating that he could see a 10-man rotation. Although this was a statement included by Wells and not an actual quote from JOB, it would appear that the wing positions are going to primarily involve 3 players.

If we consider the PGs, which appears to eventually be primarily a 2-man rotation between Collison and Price, and also take a look at the front-court where it seems to be migrating to a 3-man rotation of McRoberts, Hansbrough and Hibbert, it seems like the 10-man rotation was quickly shrunk down to an 8-man rotation.

I can't say that is altogether bad to start out the season. But if that is the case, that means Rush, DJones, Foster, SJones, Ford, Rolle and Posey will not see much court time. I would certainly hope that trading some combination of those players might bring back a player that might be considered for rotational duties.

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    "We've decided to let players who are available for the first 5 games get the majority of the preseason PT. Rush is aware of the situation, and we will continue that path, unless something changes."
    Until people jump on that as an indication that he won't really play Paul George at all after the suspension (which is something that we know will change) and start accusing him of failing to develop the young guys.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by BringJackBack View Post
    He brought me a Strawberry Ice Cream Cake. I wanted Mint Chocolate.

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Day-V For This Useful Post:

I think it is the smartest thing he could is start Rush. If you don't think that a rookie is ready to start it is best not to start him. Personally I would still rather see Rush start over Dunleavy when his suspension is over.

Rush has just been a huge disappointment and he's already had his time to prove what he can do. I would have started PG.
    With the #3 pick in the 2015 draft, your Indiana Pacers!

Custom User Titleist
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    Actually I'm confused by your confusion.

The regular rotation is Granger - Dunleavy - George. Danny's injury is making it so that is impossible to do so whoever plays min. here will be out of the normal stated rotation.

If he started Dunleavy & George together and brought someone else off of the bench it still would not be the stated rotation.

The roster is set, the rotation is set so it makes sense to use the player that has started in the past to fill in till the regular starter returns.
    I guess I should have said the word "surprised", not "confused". I said that I didn't blame Brandon for being confused, which was the wrong word.

In my view, at least, Brandon's comments indicate that even after Granger's injury, he still did not expect to play, let alone start, and anticipates even being rusty as a result. I also posted earlier that this is exactly the right thing for O'Brien to do from a team continuity standpoint, as opposed to sticking to what he had said in the media, and this apparently is what surprised Brandon.

There are, regardless of the conventional wisdom regarding them individually, other options for filling in wing positions for a short period ranging from George to Dahntay to Stephenson to Ford (unless his hamstring is still an issue) to even Price that theoretically could be used in the interim, especially after Brandon had been led to believe he is now even considered to be behind a rookie in George.