Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bass Trade Prospects: Pacers mentioned(ESPN Insider)

Default Re: Bass Trade Prospects: Pacers mentioned(ESPN Insider)

Quote Originally Posted by Mackey_Rose View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I feel the same way about making a Brandon Bass deal as I do about making a Jason Thompson deal.

It's trying to throw quantity at a position where we need quality.

Neither player is a big enough upgrade over what we currently have to warrant such action.

Jason Thompson is a quality BIG that can play either the 4 or 5 without a problem. Neither Hans or McBob truly can play the 5.

Lets be reasonable and admit the only reason either McBob or Hans will start is that the Pacers don't have anything better at PF. Where else can either be the starting PF except on the Pacers? The Pacers need a QUALITY up grade at PF, and Bird knows it.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Justin Tyme For This Useful Post:

Jason Thompson is on a different level than Brandon Bass. Bass is undersized and can only play power forward and has never played big minutes. Thompson can play power forward and center and could play along side Hibbert, McRoberts, and Hansbrough. Bass would only get about 10 minutes at the most here, Tompson could get upwards of 30 minutes here. Thompson can score and rebound. It will take a lot to get him, but I want Bird to go after him.

Mood

Yeah, Thompson is interesting to me because he's proven more so far than our PFs, and unlike them, he's also a center.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

What does Orlando want for him?

I say we ask if they want Dahntay or Brandon and Solo for Brandon Bass only.

He's definitly not worth 2 players and a 1st round pick. Thompson might though or 2 second round picks with the 2 Joneses and Brandon.
    Last edited by Trophy; 10-19-2010 at 01:27 PM.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Mackey_Rose View Post
    I feel the same way about making a Brandon Bass deal as I do about making a Jason Thompson deal.

It's trying to throw quantity at a position where we need quality.

Neither player is a big enough upgrade over what we currently have to warrant such action.
    thompson > bass

not even close. as most have mentioned, thompson can play either pf or c. he is worth a first and rush; tho i would rather deal d jones and solo with a first and second.

probably even deal thompson for hansbro straight up. and im fan of hansbro. but thompson would be a nice fit next to hibbs.

solo, d jones and a 2nd (maybe two second rounders) is the most i would hope the pacers are willing to give for bass.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by PacersPride View Post
    thompson > bass

not even close. as most have mentioned, thompson can play either pf or c. he is worth a first and rush; tho i would rather deal d jones and solo with a first and second.

probably even deal thompson for hansbro straight up. and im fan of hansbro. but thompson would be a nice fit next to hibbs.

solo, d jones and a 2nd (maybe two second rounders) is the most i would hope the pacers are willing to give for bass.
    There is no way I would give up a 1st rounder for Bass, but I would for Thompson.

The problem with Thompson is crafting a deal that will work. A straight up trade of one of our players (for example Rush or Hansbrough) along with a 1st rounder probably would not be enough. And, using two players to trade for Thompson would not work since Thompson only makes 2.2M. The primary players we probably would be willing to part with are Rush 2.07M, DJones 2.5M, SJones 1.5M. If Hansbrough were used, he makes 2M and McRoberts makes 0.8M.

Ideally, we would make a 3-for-2 using the above players and getting a scrub back with Thompson. Another alternative is finding a third team to involve.

But, at any rate, it would take a lot more to get Thompson because Thompson is a much better player than Bass, as well as a better player than either of Hansbrough or McRoberts.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to beast23 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by beast23 View Post
    There is no way I would give up a 1st rounder for Bass, but I would for Thompson.

The problem with Thompson is crafting a deal that will work. A straight up trade of one of our players (for example Rush or Hansbrough) along with a 1st rounder probably would not be enough. And, using two players to trade for Thompson would not work since Thompson only makes 2.2M. The primary players we probably would be willing to part with are Rush 2.07M, DJones 2.5M, SJones 1.5M. If Hansbrough were used, he makes 2M and McRoberts makes 0.8M.

Ideally, we would make a 3-for-2 using the above players and getting a scrub back with Thompson. Another alternative is finding a third team to involve.

But, at any rate, it would take a lot more to get Thompson because Thompson is a much better player than Bass, as well as a better player than either of Hansbrough or McRoberts.

Your post is right on target, especially the last paragragh.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Brandon Bass isn't a good long term starter - that's what we need to find in a deal. Getting Bass just adds one more potential quick fix to the group. I'd rather give McRoberts and Hansbrough the time at PF until we can get that core starter.

Chairman of the Boards 90'sNBARocked's Avatar

Read more NBA news and insight: http://www.hoopsworld.com/chat.asp?c...#ixzz12vTgwHBA
    BY Steve Kyler

jared in indiana:do you think the indiana pacers will make a trade before the season starts?

Steve Kyler:
    The long answer is unlikely... most teams don;t make deal during training camp unless a glaring need surfaces or they realize they have a player they simply are not going to use... Most deals that get done at this time of the year are teams cashing out excess... rarely are good deals made at this point unless your a team picking up someone who won't play or have a big role on another team... Curtis Jerrels wasn't gonna play in San Antonio, so New Orleans scoops him up for a pick.

Those are the kinds of deals that get done.

Is Indiana actively looking for that, no... could they make a move if a real power forward hits the market, maybe... I keep hearing the Pacers have interest in Brandon Bass... but based on whats coming out of Orlando and how well Brandon has played I just don;t think the Pacers have anything Orlando wants.

The situation to keep an eye on is Brandon Rush... the Pacers have not yet exercised their option on him, but did on Hibbert and Collison... if they aren't keeping Rush he's a chip and I hear they'd be open to moving Dahntay Jones for the right front court player
    Sittin on top of the world!

Chairman of the Boards 90'sNBARocked's Avatar

Bump

Pacers going after bass
    Sittin on top of the world!

Droppin' knowledge, yo. Mackey_Rose's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I am not going to be a happy camper if we give up on Brandon Rush in order to acquire Brandon Bass and make room for Magnum Rolle.

Not at all.

Hey, Orlando Magic, T.J. Ford is a great backup PG. I promise.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ZepZach For This Useful Post:

Banned

http://realgm.com/src_wiretap_archiv...garding_bass/#

Nothing Going On Between Pacers, Magic Regarding Bass

It has been reported that the Pacers have interest in Magic reserve forward Brandon Bass, but there aren't currently any negotiations going on between the two teams, according to a league source.

Indiana is thin in the frontcourt and Orlando hasn't had much use for Bass, who they signed to a four-year deal before the 2009-10 season.

Bass appeared in just 50 games, including three starts, for the Magic last year while averaging 13.0 minutes per game.