Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What could Lance get?

Chairman of the Boards 90'sNBARocked's Avatar

Default What could Lance get?

I have enjoyed watching this season more than any other becuase for the first time in a while we have a couple young guys that really inrigue me in both Paul and Lance. What I am curious to ponder is , although we know Lance's defense needs grave room for imporvement, his offense , at least to me, is capable of putting up points right now against NBA quality players.

I watched in the summer league as a young kid, only 19 , playing at an unatural position (PG) toyed with the competition. As I mentioned earlier, Lance's defense is not up to NBA level yet, and I think PG's is better currently.

The talk now is with Granger , out for the preseason, it looks like PG will get the bulk of the minutes, and Im OK with that, I guess im wondering what Lance would do if, given the green light and about 30 minutes.

This is not an indication that I think Lance is ready, deserves more minutes, or anythhing like that. I just think Lance can be extrodinarly talented prospect, if at least on the offensive end.

If Lance were to start the next two preseason games, and given the oppportunity to play at leasst 32 minutes......

How much do you thin he could score?

I am thinking realistically he could get at least 14-18 points if given the time. I don't expect him to be in the regualr rotaion as much when the real games start but I would love to see him play extende minutes , if just for the last couple games

Is it realistic to think he could score in that fashion if given the chance?
    Sittin on top of the world!

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 90'sNBARocked For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: What could Lance get?

Quote Originally Posted by 90'sNBARocked View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I have enjoyed watching this season more than any other becuase for the first time in a while we have a couple young guys that really inrigue me in both Paul and Lance. What I am curious to ponder is , although we know Lance's defense needs grave room for imporvement, his offense , at least to me, is capable of putting up points right now against NBA quality players.

I watched in the summer league as a young kid, only 19 , playing at an unatural position (PG) toyed with the competition. As I mentioned earlier, Lance's defense is not up to NBA level yet, and I think PG's is better currently.

The talk now is with Granger , out for the preseason, it looks like PG will get the bulk of the minutes, and Im OK with that, I guess im wondering what Lance would do if, given the green light and about 30 minutes.

This is not an indication that I think Lance is ready, deserves more minutes, or anythhing like that. I just think Lance can be extrodinarly talented prospect, if at least on the offensive end.

If Lance were to start the next two preseason games, and given the oppportunity to play at leasst 32 minutes......

I am thinking realistically he could get at least 14-18 points if given the time. I don't expect him to be in the regualr rotaion as much when the real games start but I would love to see him play extende minutes , if just for the last couple games

I hope I don't derail the entire thread here, but I really thought you meant in terms of jail time.

To answer the question, Lance is a very special offensive talent. When he wants to get to the rim, he will get to the rim. I just hope he is willing to be a team player and not try to showcase his 1 on 1 mentality too much. I thought he did a pretty good job of that in Summer League.

I really think the sky is the limit offensively, I just want him to put the work in to become an all-around good player.
    Passion. Pride. Patience. Pacers

Quote Originally Posted by USF View Post
    I hope I don't derail the entire thread here, but I really thought you meant in terms of jail time.

To answer the question, Lance is a very special offensive talent. When he wants to get to the rim, he will get to the rim. I just hope he is willing to be a team player and not try to showcase his 1 on 1 mentality too much. I thought he did a pretty good job of that in Summer League.

I really think the sky is the limit offensively, I just want him to put the work in to become an all-around good player.
    LOL, I was hoping to not have the off court stuff of Lance brought up in this post

I think in terms of basketball he is one of the few guys on our team that has aggressive "I think I can score on anyone attitude", and I love that about him

Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

He'd foul out from offensive fouls before getting to the thirty minute mark but he would score while he is in.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

-Lance Stephenson

Quote Originally Posted by BRushWithDeath View Post
    He'd foul out from offensive fouls before getting to the thirty minute mark but he would score while he is in.
    I didn't say he would get to the rim legally, just that he would get to the rim.
    Passion. Pride. Patience. Pacers

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

I don't think we will see a lot of Lance until about two months into the season, when it becomes clear that we do not have enough players who can create their own shots.

It's a bit more promising than last year, with Collison at point and Roy getting more touches and Tyler perhaps being more of an offensive creator. But I still see us starting to stall out after a couple of months.

At that point, we will be searching for some options, and Lance may get some burn. If we he does well, I think you'll see him getting 15-20 minutes in the rotation by the end of the year.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

Quote Originally Posted by USF View Post
    When I read the title I thought the same thing, or what could he get in a trade.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tom White For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by McKeyFan View Post
    I don't think we will see a lot of Lance until about two months into the season, when it becomes clear that we do not have enough players who can create their own shots.

It's a bit more promising than last year, with Collison at point and Roy getting more touches and Tyler perhaps being more of an offensive creator. But I still see us starting to stall out after a couple of months.

At that point, we will be searching for some options, and Lance may get some burn. If we he does well, I think you'll see him getting 15-20 minutes in the rotation by the end of the year.
    I really hope so. I think the only players we have that can create their own shot is Darren Collison, and possibly Aj. I think Lance can do that and while I understand the need to pump up PG, I honestly think if Lance was given PG's minutes so far, we would see greater results, if at least on the offensive side of the ball

Hopefully not convicted since his court date is tomorrow!
    Last edited by pwee31; 10-18-2010 at 05:25 PM.

I really hope so. I think the only players we have that can create their own shot is Darren Collison, and possibly Aj. I think Lance can do that and while I understand the need to pump up PG, I honestly think if Lance was given PG's minutes so far, we would see greater results, if at least on the offensive side of the ball
    Well first, I don't think it would, because we keep playing Lance out of position, so he doesn't do as well. (He plays, so much better when he's on the court with AJ, as a SG)

Second, although he can score, he doesn't get the offense too much and is more likely to play one on one.

So I do think George has been better. But Lance is far more confident, which is big for a rookie.

So I do think George has been better. But Lance is far more confident, which is big for a rookie.
    Better defensively or overall?

Better defensively or overall?
    overall, but that includes defense. :P

And I say that because George, has been a part of the offense, which shows he understands it a little better. Lance tends to go one on one. Once again, a major part of that is probably because he's being played out of position..

Quote Originally Posted by Sookie View Post
    overall, but that includes defense. :P

And I say that because George, has been a part of the offense, which shows he understands it a little better. Lance tends to go one on one. Once again, a major part of that is probably because he's being played out of position..
    I dont understand ( I know there have been 50 threads on the subject) why Jim wants to put him at PG, when I see everything in his game screams SG

oh well

Quote Originally Posted by Tom White View Post

what could he get in a trade.

That was my exact thought too. I was thinking maybe as a sweetner in a trade. LOL.

I dont know what the consesous(sp?) on this board is , but for me personally I hope he can contribute and is given a chance to

I dont understand ( I know there have been 50 threads on the subject) why Jim wants to put him at PG, when I see everything in his game screams SG

oh well

That's just Jimmy! I don't know how else to be able to explain it.

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Tyme View Post
    That's just Jimmy! I don't know how else to be able to explain it.
    I think the quote above is , in fact, the only way to explain it

Lots of coaches have fallen in love with the idea of a big PG before. This isn't something unique to O'Brien. Eventually though, he will need to find another way to utilize Lance as I don't see him being able to learn how to play the point.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    Lots of coaches have fallen in love with the idea of a big PG before. This isn't something unique to O'Brien. Eventually though, he will need to find another way to utilize Lance as I don't see him being able to learn how to play the point.
    Goo dpoint

They tried with various tall non-point guards, but havent really saw much success

Maybe Penny H. or Chauncey Billups?

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

20ppg and 4 assit problly he is ready right now to drop buckets on anyone.

Goo dpoint

They tried with various tall non-point guards, but havent really saw much success

Well, Phil Jackson loves to try and make it work. He plays Shannon Brown at the 1 for the Lakers and the guy is pretty much the anti-PG. Granted it's a different offensive system entirely, but Brown is probably one of the worst passers on the Lakers.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Mood

Did you see the dimes he was throwing in SL I was really impressed. He should have went to UCLA and learn D from thier coach. He would be a roation player right now if that was the case.

crazy shinaniganz BringJackBack's Avatar

Goo dpoint

Magic Johnson?

But yeah I think we should actually have Lance post up smaller guards like Mark Jackson used to (I rarely watched the Pacers back then, mostly Bulls and Shaq like a bum, but when I did watch I remember he would post up). Would make him alot more useful as he is a good passer as well if he were to get doubled.

I think he can play point but when he brings the ball up the court he needs to pass it right to a wing and establish post position as opposed to going one on one.

Just because he isn't a traditional pass first point guard doesn't mean he's not a point. He's a point with a power game. If he played the two, that power wouldn't be there anymore.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by BringJackBack View Post
    Magic Johnson?

But yeah I think we should actually have Lance post up smaller guards like Mark Jackson used to (I rarely watched the Pacers back then, mostly Bulls and Shaq like a bum, but when I did watch I remember he would post up). Would make him alot more useful as he is a good passer as well if he were to get doubled.

I think he can play point but when he brings the ball up the court he needs to pass it right to a wing and establish post position as opposed to going one on one.

Just because he isn't a traditional pass first point guard doesn't mean he's not a point. He's a point with a power game. If he played the two, that power wouldn't be there anymore.
    Jtinsley

Quote Originally Posted by BringJackBack View Post
    Magic Johnson?
    Yes because all guards have the same abilities as Magic Johnson.

Magic was the exception, not the rule. And Magic also already had all the skills needed to play the point. There's obviously a lot of advantages to having someone in a shooting guard's body be able to play the point guard position. But there's also a reason why most shooting guards, don't play point.
    Last edited by Sookie; 10-18-2010 at 04:15 PM.