Thread: Team USA gets the win as Australia chokes

Default Team USA gets the win as Australia chokes

As I watched the Australian Boomers get out to a 10pt first quarter lead, I kept thinking this is too good to be true. The great shooting continued through the 2nd and to a lesser extent in the 3rd quarter. Iverson nailed several 3s as USA started to come back and Australia held a 3pt lead going into the final term.

The 4th quarter was a joke from an Australian point of view. Our weakside defense was non-existant as LeBron and Marion continously scored along the baseline. The offense was even worse, Shane Heal (Australian Captain) became a black hole and our coach refused to make changes to players that had been playing well earlier in the game.

For team USA, I thought Duncan and Iverson really kept them in the game throughout the first 3 periods. Dwayne Wade caused havok getting into the lane repeatedly and Marion was the recipient on a number of baseline plays.

Marbury was shocking, his defense was so pathetic at points I was amazed Brown left him out there for so long. Jefferson continued his woeful tournament.

It's only a matter of time before Andrew Bogut, Australia's 19year old starting Centre makes the NBA, he put on another solid showing tonight. Matt Neilsen, currently trailing with the Nuggets also played fairly well before fouling out.

How absolutely random was the officiating for that game? Countless offensive foul calls on both teams, many which left the commentators scratching their heads wondering wtf was going on.

Oh and LeBron really has mastered that indignant look.

year of the black rainbow obnoxiousmodesty's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Team USA gets the win as Australia chokes

Hey skyfire, perhaps you can answer a question for me that I've been wondering for several years now. Why do the Australian competitors wear green and yellow when the colors of your flag are red, white, and blue? I may be wrong, but I believe yours is the only nation to do so. Just curious.
    Take me out to the black, tell 'em I ain't coming back. Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Well it was a valiant effort, however I dont know about a 'choke'.

The goorj ran an 8 man rotation and our blokes just seemed to run out of steam.

Had nielsen not fouled out and Goorj turned to your mate maher (instead of C.J. 'the turnover' Bruton ) more often we may have held on. But hey, had someone said prior to the game we would finish within 10 I would have lauded our performance.

There is no doubt Bogues will be the talk of the draft next year. Solid fundamentals, shot with range, soft hands, excellent rebounder.... Just needs to add some bulk and improve on D, you just get the feeling that he will tear it up for Utah this year.

And to the flag vs. colors question. Truthfully I don't know the answer, Green and Gold has always been known as 'our colours' I would suggest that the British sentiment in our flag and a desire to distance ourselves from that colonial past would have much to do with it however.

When it comes to sport, nobody wants to be associated with a pom
    "He's a strong physical presence out there on both ends of the court. He's a man. There's a reason he was an All-Star." -- Vogel on David West

Quote Originally Posted by obnoxiousmodesty
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Hey skyfire, perhaps you can answer a question for me that I've been wondering for several years now. Why do the Australian competitors wear green and yellow when the colors of your flag are red, white, and blue? I may be wrong, but I believe yours is the only nation to do so. Just curious.
    I think some other country already uses red, white and blue abit...

As Willbo mentioned our flag is based upon the British flag, as we are still a member of the Commonwealth. I cant recall where green and gold came from but trying to get away from our British heritage is as good a guess as any...

sweabs

Quote Originally Posted by skyfire
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    but trying to get away from our British heritage is as good a guess as any...
    Agreed

You know, this may be the end of Dream Teams for another reason: no NBA player in his right mind would ever play in the olympics again. After all the booing and struggling, not getting payed, exposing yourself to injury (like Reggie at the Worlds), and for what? There's no guaranteed gold medal at the end of the day anymore.