Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Orlando showcasing Brandon Bass?

Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar

Default Orlando showcasing Brandon Bass?

Brandon Bass finds way to showcase himself
    Brian Schmitz, Orlando Sentinel

Link

http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/spo...e-himself.html

Itís no secret that Magic power forward Brandon Bass wants to find a place to play, whether ití s in Orlando or somewhere else.

And the way heís played lately, he might get his wish ó and my guess is the Magic are only waiting for the right deal to come along.

Bass is showcasing his talents for other teams, such as the Indiana Pacers, who need power-forward help.

Trouble is, the Pacers want to give up Dahntay Jones or Solomon Jones. I canít imagine the Magic being interested, unless the Pacers give up a first-round pick.

Bass put together his second consecutive solid game Thursday night, and you know what was odd about it?

Coach Stan Van Gundy started his second team. . . . and the rainy-day lineup didnít include Bass.

So he wasnít even in the top 10.

Ryan Anderson started at power forward.

Bass was on the bench with veteran Malik Allen and rookie Stanley Robinson.

Bass was coming off a 9-point, 7-rebound, 3-block effort in the last preseason game he played, against the Pacers Oct. 8. Against the Charlotte Bobcats on Thursday night, he led the club with 16 points, nine rebounds and added two blocks in 31 minutes.
    I've been a fan of Bass for a number of years, ever since his Dallas days. We have McBob and Hans playing well right now, but I think we could really use another big man. Bass even at 6'7''/6'8'' would be the most physical player on the team, and I think he could handle the backup center spot just fine.

Trouble is, the Orlando writer is right, D. Jones and S. Jones probably isn't going to cut it. I have no idea though what Orlando would want in return - no obvious holes on their roster.

Rooting My Family 2 Glory CooperManning's Avatar

Default Re: Orlando showcasing Brandon Bass?

Was just discussing this in the trade forum, didn't even realize their beat writer had mentioned it as a possibility. If the trade was Dahntay/Solo/2011 2nd for Bass, it makes a bit of sense for the Magic, though it's true we get the better end of it. If you include luxury tax, the Magic would save a little under $5 mil over the next three years, not including whatever the 2nd rounder would get paid. Dahntay would fill out their wing rotation. Malik Allen, for all intents and purposes, is an older version of Solo who has an unguranteed contract, so he could be cut to make room.

It'd be a great trade for the Pacers not because Bass is necessarily going to be the next Paul Milsap, but because I can't imagine getting anyone better for Dahntay/Solo/2nd (while getting the roster down to 15). Sure, he'd cost 2.4 mil total more than Dahntay, but he'd actually get meaningful minutes and has some potential. JOB was talking about our lack of depth up front? Well here it is.

Ultimately, I don't think this will happen. Dahntay and Solo probably just aren't good enough for Orlando to justify paying them (and thus, pay lux tax for them). I wouldn't be surprised if they're trying to move Bass to a team under the cap for a cheap prospect and a future 2nd. Re-signing Redick has put them in a bit of a bind financially. Can't blame them for re-signing him, especially to keep him away from the Bulls, but Chicago front-loading that contract hurts. If I was their GM and I could save 6.5 mil by dumping Bass for a sub-1 mil contract and a future pick, I'd probably do it. All this being said, I hope I'm wrong and Bass is wearing blue and gold on the 27th.

In case anyone's wondering why we might want a guy that Orlando is (probably) trying to get rid of, I scoured some Magic forums to read opinions on Bass. A lot of the comments said the same thing: (Paraphrasing) "I love his game, but our system works because 2, 3, and 4 can all shoot the 3-ball. Anderson's a better fit behind Lewis."
    Last edited by CooperManning; 10-17-2010 at 07:00 AM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to CooperManning For This Useful Post:

I would probably make this trade, but how much of an upgrade is Brandon Bass? He is undersized and hasn't been very impressive so far in his career. Is he still living off of the two good season he had in Dallas? He doesn't seem to be a great rebounder either. I guess he hasn't played a lot of minutes in his career either. Maybe if he went to a team where he was given a chance he would excel, who knows.

I think after the other night I am more than okay with going in to the season with McRoberts and Hansbrough at the 4. If anything we could use a big body who could give us a little time at the 5.

Again I would probably be okay with this trade to free up are roster situation, but I would not be too excited over it. I would not offer anything more than D.Jones, and S.Jones in this deal though.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to pacers74 For This Useful Post:

All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar

I, too, am ok with going into the season with what we have now. We still have the flexibility to try and get someone with one of our expirings, maybe coupled with one of our other players and otherwise there's the 2011 draft aswell as the 2011 summer.

Granted not that much high quality front court players available in the 2011 FA market and even less if you want that player to be a fit next to Hibbert, but it's not, atleast in my opinion, like we have to solve our lack of high quality players at powerforward immediately.

Indeed it might be better to just waite and see what happens when we give what we have currently a bigger role on the team.

Like I said if that doesn't work out with some sort of satisfaction we still have the trade deadline, the draft and the 2011 FA market aswell as the summer to make something happen.

Just my
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mourning For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Mourning View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Like I said if that doesn't work out with some sort of satisfaction we still have the trade deadline, the draft and the 2011 FA market aswell as the summer to make something happen.

Just my

I agree, we should just wait until the trade deadline. Someone will hopefully want one or two of our expirings. As for next summer, unless we try to overpay for some of the restricted guys free agency is slim pickins.

Would Bass be happy as back-up center? That's the only place I can see him getting consistent minutes now. This begs the question is he really tall enough? Can he definitely be Milsapesque and excel there despite his height disadvantage?

Unless Josh moves over to back-up 5, but I don't think it truly suits him. Right now we've got what appears to be some decent young talent developing at the 4...and it's cheap, too. Barring an injury there, I think the two incumbents get first dibs to prove themselves at the position.

We could also bring Foster into the discussion? Does he have any left in the tank? Would we consider moving him in an upcoming deal? Pending those answers and, again, what we think of Bass as a 5, then maybe the deal sounds more appealing. Whatever the case, DJ & Solo going out doesn't concern me. Neither appear to be big contributors. Some other potential pieces - a future 1st - as mentioned in piece, no thanks.
    I'd rather die standing up than live on my knees.

-Emiliano Zapata

10. The Following User Says Thank You to D-BONE For This Useful Post:

Bass would be a nice coup for the Pacers. A strong, although undersized, PF that can has a solid mid-range jumper and can bang inside. I'm not sure if Orlando would be on board with a Dahntay and Solo pupu platter, but it's worth looking into. I would hope Bird and co. wouldn't surrender a first round pick for him; maybe a second-rounder but I'd have to think about that.

I don't know what the market is like for Bass but I can't imagine there being any amazing offers for him. I'm guessing Orlando will end up keeping him for that reason.

Let me preface my post by saying I don't care for Otis Smith as a GM. He isn't a GM that I think of as being one of the top GM's in the NBA.

Now, back to Brandon Bass. I don't see Bass as being an upgrade over McBob/Hans at the present time. Bass can't play the center, so I see no interest in him. Sure, I'd like to unload both of the Jonses in a 2 for 1 trade to get to a roster of 15, and if Smith would make the trade that's fine. I just don't see Smith trading Bass for the poo poo plater of the Jones boys. What is the nut in it for Orlando?

Now back to Otis Smith. Smith reached the finals and then broke up his team. He should have re-signed Turk, never signed Bass, never traded for VC, and NEVER gave Redick 7.5 mil... that's 3 times what Rush makes and Redick isn't 3 times better. I still feel he overpaid for Rashard Lewis at 115 mil as well. Then he drafts Orton knowing he has Gortat, who he just re-signed to a multi-year contract the year b4 as well as had signed FA Bass the year b4. With all his moves, Smith couldn't even get the Magic back to the finals. OTH, he does have the Magic 24 mil over the LT. Congrats Otis!

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Justin Tyme For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I would pass on the trade, we need a big upgrade at PF in a trade, he's not that much better than what we have and would just complicate things.

15. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dr. Awesome For This Useful Post:

You know, I like Brandon Bass, I think he would help this team quite a bit, but I would really like to see what McRoberts and Hansbrough can do, and I don't want to not see those guys get an opportunity to strive.

That being said, I also wouldn't want to miss out on an opportunity with a guy like Brandon Bass, who really has gotten a chance in Orlando. He had a pretty solid preseason game against us with 9 points and 7 rebs in 19 minutes.

I don't think the Magic take Dahntay and Solo, and I really don't see why they would trade Bass. They actually have depth at every position?

With our cap space why would we go after a player that does not improve us by more than 2 wins if we get him. That even is stretching it.

We need a player that can bring us 10-15 more wins a season.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by dohman View Post
    With our cap space why would we go after a player that does not improve us by more than 2 wins if we get him. That even is stretching it.

We need a player that can bring us 10-15 more wins a season.
    My question is what does this trade have to do with cap space, and how does trading for Brandon Bass prevent us from finding the player you ultimately want?

I really don't see how any of what you said applies, unless you feel that 1.3 million dollars in cap difference for next year will prevent us from being able to get that player.

Banned
    Mood

There's no way Brandon Bass is worth a 1st round pick from a team who hasn't seen the playoffs since 2006. He's a five-year vet getting paid fairly hefty ($4M per) for doing nothing more than putting up halfway decent per-minute numbers. I'd offer them their choice of the Joneses and a 2nd or one Jones and Brandon Bust, nothing more.

Quote Originally Posted by GrangeRusHibbert View Post

I'd offer them their choice of the Joneses and a 2nd

Salaries wouldn't work.

I'd rather have Gortat, even with that contract. Can't think of a trade that would work though. Posey, Jones, and Jones for Gortat and Pietrus? I'd do it. They wouldn't.

Banned
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Tyme View Post
    Salaries wouldn't work.
    By choice I meant either both of the Joneses and a 2nd or one Jones and Rush.

Quote Originally Posted by Ozwalt72 View Post
    I'd rather have Gortat, even with that contract. Can't think of a trade that would work though. Posey, Jones, and Jones for Gortat and Pietrus? I'd do it. They wouldn't.

You are right they'd NEVER do that trade. Talk about a lopsided trade. Trading Gortat leaves them without a good b/u center to Howard. Bass can't fill the role and Orton is an unproven rookie.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I would rather keep what we have than Bass. I want to see wat Jmac and tyler can do.
    Last edited by pacer4ever; 10-17-2010 at 04:59 PM.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to pacer4ever For This Useful Post:

I have no problem with bringing in Bass, assuming it's only a combination of the Joneses and B. Rush.

Josh and Tyler will still see time. At the very least, if Foster has complications with his past injuries and or Tyler has some, Bass can player either PF or center.

I don't think it'd hurt the rotation much if at all for us.
    Stop quoting people I have on ignore!

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    I have no problem with bringing in Bass, assuming it's only a combination of the Joneses and B. Rush.

Josh and Tyler will still see time. At the very least, if Foster has complications with his past injuries and or Tyler has some, Bass can player either PF or center.

I don't think it'd hurt the rotation much if at all for us.
    Bass is 6"8 i dont think he can play the center

Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post
    Bass is 6"8 i dont think he can play the center
    True, but either way, injuries are bound to happen at some point in time. And the cost of B. Rush/Joneses, at least in my opinion, is a very small price to pay for someone like Bass who does a lot of little things that help you win games, especially being thin up front.
    Stop quoting people I have on ignore!

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Psyren For This Useful Post:

He's 6-9 like Tyler, but I like him and would be happy to acquire him for the 2 Joneses.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Trophy View Post
    He's 6-9 like Tyler, but I like him and would be happy to acquire him for the 2 Joneses.
    he is listed at 6"8 so he is probly 6"7 but i would be happy to get him for that to.

http://www.nba.com/playerfile/brando....html?nav=page

Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post
    he is listed at 6"8 so he is probly 6"7 but i would be happy to get him for that to.

http://www.nba.com/playerfile/brando....html?nav=page
    Either way, he does overcome his height like Tyler and is powerful at the 4.

If we were to acquire him, then that would probably make him the starting PF and Tyler backs him up and Josh becomes Roy's backup at center.

Not too bad.

33. The Following User Says Thank You to Trophy For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Trophy View Post
    Either way, he does overcome his height like Tyler and is powerful at the 4.
    I was just trying to show that he problly cant play the center. The previous person said they would like him at the backup center.