Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A little thing I saw from James Posey

Custom User Titleist
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: A little thing I saw from James Posey

I wasn't able to watch the New Orleans game due to the Fox vs. DISH dispute.

So, the consensus is that Posey, in combination with Collison, stood up to O'Brien and helped get things changed at the end of the game? Please tell me that is actually so!!!!

If that is so, Posey just became the second most valuable veteran presence on the entire team, especially if he brings savvy and sanity to the management of games, especially during end of game situations. That would be a change in dynamics that could potentially alter the outcome of games that the Pacers would ordinarily lose due to mismanagement and lack of recognition of game flow that has plagued the franchise throughout O'Brien's time here.

I could quickly learn to like Posey if this is part of his repertoire!

And, if a side effect of this is that Collison is listened to more than a second year player normally would be due to having been Posey's teammate last year, that would help as well, assuming Collison doesn't actually want to play the game the way O'Brien has designed it offensively, giving some additional hope to better offensive execution from the pg position than we have seen in the past.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Brad8888 For This Useful Post:

crazy shinaniganz BringJackBack's Avatar

I watched the fourth quarter and wow.. Jim's facial expression was simathetic and he was fully engaged into what DC and Posey were saying. I've never seen that. Usually his expression is cold and whatever.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to BringJackBack For This Useful Post:

Mood

I like what Posey brings to the team, something that every team needs to get, that veteran leadership and a understanding of what it takes to be a good team in the NBA. One of the problems with the pacers is that it seems like we never really have the structure of a GOOD team in the NBA, sometimes it looks like we don't even take it as serious as most teams. Granted that this has to do a lot with the coach but it a lot has to do a lot with the players mentalities, you can only blame so much on the coach.

Not only does he bring that championship mentality he also comes up big in key moments... Just my take, I think he will really help out in the development of our YOUNG players

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Really? For This Useful Post:

I was at the game and I was on the opposite end of the court for the 2nd half so I did not see the conversation between O'Brien and Posey.

However I do want to mention one thing that we did notice from our regular seats in the first half.

James Posey talks on defense & I mean talks a lot on defense to his fellow defenders.

He was calling out spots on the floor and it became pretty obvious quickly that he understands Jim's defensive scheme and was telling people were to be at on the floor and yelling for the switch.

Also I want to point out that this guy has already guarded 4 of the 5 spots on the floor for extended time by design.

The only position I have yet to see him guard, without it being a switch on defense, is the point guard position other than that he has defended everything else.

My only fear is that Jim will over use him.

I still don't like his lack of rebounding and his offense that only consists of parking at the three point line, but in short bursts I think he would be fine.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Peck For This Useful Post:

Southern Indiana; not far from Louisville, KY

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Personally I don't mind Posey being on the team. This season he may not get all that many minutes with all the other wings we have on the team, but he provides lots of experience and verteran leadership. When he plays, he plays smart. He has also shown here in the preseason that he can still nail the 3 and hit his free-throws. I'm fine with having Posey on the team as we could certainly do much much worse...for instance, what if we could have Rasho Nesterovic...FML!!!!!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to ChristianDudley For This Useful Post:

I don't mind Posey on the team either, but I just don't want him on the court (kinda like Ford.) Sure seems like Posey's not a bad coach though. That's probably more useful than anything.

Pacers 4 Life.31 and only Pacers4Life's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by focused444 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

Do me a favor, ask Lance what Posey means to the team as far as leadership when you see him again. I would love to hear his response.
    HA-HA... that was awesome. I had a comment about James Posey suring the preseason... He had some damn good days shooting and it made me notice. And it made me think.

I ****in agree with everything thats been said about him basically. Not much more to add. I think if used appropriately Posey can really help this team as a leader. However I do see his defficiencies and I can see him also being a HUGE liability if he's mismatched on the court. This will be up to JOB to make the right calls... which he did on Friday. Posey will not shy away from that ball in tight games late. Besides maybe Danny (whom to be honest I don't have quite the faith in him I'd like to) I can't name a player we've had in a while who was like this.

Oh god, except maybe Stephen Jackson, Jamaal Tinsley, and Jermaine O'Neal... god that was awful wasn't it? The Dark Days are gone
    Reggie Miller is a God. Period.

Passion. Pride. Pacers.

It's ALWAYS Miller Time.
    #31 & Only

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Pacers4Life For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Pacers4Life View Post
    HA-HA... that was awesome. I had a comment about James Posey suring the preseason... He had some damn good days shooting and it made me notice. And it made me think.

I ****in agree with everything thats been said about him basically. Not much more to add. I think if used appropriately Posey can really help this team as a leader. However I do see his defficiencies and I can see him also being a HUGE liability if he's mismatched on the court. This will be up to JOB to make the right calls... which he did on Friday. Posey will not shy away from that ball in tight games late. Besides maybe Danny (whom to be honest I don't have quite the faith in him I'd like to) I can't name a player we've had in a while who was like this.

Oh god, except maybe Stephen Jackson, Jamaal Tinsley, and Jermaine O'Neal... god that was awful wasn't it? The Dark Days are gone
    What makes it even better is I think Posey is, and can't help but being a leader, where those guys were demonstrative naturally and had bad attitudes in general. Where in Posey's case he is respected for his knowledge and voice.

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    Stupid question on my end.....when people say that a Player is a good "glue-guy", what does that mean?

Can someone provide me some examples of who is a good "glue-guy" and how that translates into action on the court?
    For me a player like Rush is a glue guy, though in his case not in the full manner that includes personality issues. But with on-court action it means filling spaces that need to be filled, cutting off guys enough for others to recover, resetting your dribble to make a pass, making yourself available to help bail out a guy in trouble or for the post guy to kick and repost with, and running the court ahead of the play to drag defenders toward the baseline and stretch out the defense for your teammates to work against.

These things don't have stats, but they keep the defense or offense moving and productive.

Typically a glue guy has very high game awareness. People mistake Rush's unselfishness for low awareness. I scouted this as his biggest fault, all glue and unselfish and low levels of aggressiveness. An oddity by the measure of most NBA prospects.

The reason you like a smart vet, especially one who's been on winning teams, is that he's learned the tricks to coming up with key plays down the stretch.

BTW, does this strike anyone as similar to Jack going off, getting the boot, then becoming the starter the next game and for the rest of the year. I know it's just more JOB bashing from me, but it does seem like some of the "gamers" do clash with his strategy and choices, and often it falls in favor of the player being correct or saying what needs to be said.

I don't want the coach to have to listen, I want the coach to say things so smart and deliver the message so well that the players are captivated and then produce outstanding results following the coaching. I want an open-minded coach, but a great coach should be smarter than his players in a way that it's obvious to them that this is the case.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Naptown_Seth For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Sookie View Post
    I don't mind Posey on the team either, but I just don't want him on the court (kinda like Ford.) Sure seems like Posey's not a bad coach though. That's probably more useful than anything.
    lol 15mill dollar bench warmers lol i bet the Simons love that LOL

Sports Logo

Talking Re: A little thing I saw from James Posey

Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    For me a player like Rush is a glue guy, though in his case not in the full manner that includes personality issues. But with on-court action it means filling spaces that need to be filled, cutting off guys enough for others to recover, resetting your dribble to make a pass, making yourself available to help bail out a guy in trouble or for the post guy to kick and repost with, and running the court ahead of the play to drag defenders toward the baseline and stretch out the defense for your teammates to work against.

These things don't have stats, but they keep the defense or offense moving and productive.

Typically a glue guy has very high game awareness. People mistake Rush's unselfishness for low awareness. I scouted this as his biggest fault, all glue and unselfish and low levels of aggressiveness. An oddity by the measure of most NBA prospects.

The reason you like a smart vet, especially one who's been on winning teams, is that he's learned the tricks to coming up with key plays down the stretch.
    Thanks, in regard to JP...do you see anything of what focused444 has mentioned?

But this kind of leads to what Peck mentioned when it come to heavily relying on JP as the season ( and seasonS ) progresses as he appears to be the type of Coach that relies upon vets that know how to execute his "plan' while making less mistakes.

Other then JP and BRush...any other "glue guys" on the Team?

My guess is that guys like Dunleavy and Foster due to their "hi basketball IQ".
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

crazy shinaniganz BringJackBack's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    Stupid question on my end.....when people say that a Player is a good "glue-guy", what does that mean?

Can someone provide me some examples of who is a good "glue-guy" and how that translates into action on the court?
    One more thing.. There is no such thing as a stupid question.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to BringJackBack For This Useful Post: