Thread: Coach Jim O'Brien: the Bad Outweighs the Good

Default Coach Jim O'Brien: the Bad Outweighs the Good

http://nickfromnaptown.wordpress.com...ighs-the-good/

Coach Jim O’Brien: the Bad Outweighs the Good
    By nickfromnaptown

It’s only a matter of time, folks. Coach Jim O’Brien of the Indiana Pacers won’t have his job for much longer, regardless of how many games the Pacers win to close the season or what they do in the off-season personnel wise. My guess is, GM Larry Bird has only stuck with O’Brien this long as a gap filler. Why bring in a new coach when your team isn’t ready to win yet? Why bring in a new coach and set the table for him to fail? Bird knows O’Brien is not the guy that will turn his team into a well-oiled machine again.

Why is O’Brien not the guy? I will tell you.

Defense. It is imperative to play solid defense to be a contender in the NBA. When Rick Carlisle was the Pacers’ head coach, he instilled a wonderful team defense concept with the help of defensive assistant Mike Brown. It is no coincedence that Mike Brown is now the head coach of the Cleveland Cavaliers, who now boast a top 5 defense, and Carlisle coaching the Dallas Mavericks has his squad ranked in the top half of the league in defensive categories.

Carlisle was axed for a couple reasons. The only downside to Carlisle as a coach was his inability to allow the offense to be flexible, micromanaging his way out of Indiana. Had he been more creative and flexible with his offensive game plan and didn’t handcuff his players, the Pacers may have won a championship during his term, maybe two. Once it was clear the players were tired of Carlisle in their ears, it was second thought to let him go.

Coach O’Brien cannot get this current Pacers squad to play defense consistently; he doesn’t have the background of a defensive genius. While Carlisle had the Pacers ranked in the top 10 of defensive categories yearly, O’Brien has been the complete opposite, with the Pacers occupying one of the NBA’s leakiest defenses for the third straight season under coach O’Brien.

Too bad we can’t take the best from Carlisle and O’Brien to make a perfect coach, right? At the least O’Brien has given us some great offensive basketball. With that in mind, it will be interesting to see if Bird can find a guy that brings more balance to a team that has the tools to be effective on both ends of the floor. That statement I just made is for all you doubters who think this team cannot play defense; they can.

I would like to commend O’Brien for trying his best. He really has been passionate in his time as the Pacers’ coach and made a lot of good things happen while he has been here. He has helped the Pacers build team chemistry and learn to play unselfishly with each other. He just isn’t good enough at this level to get his team to play with the elite teams in the NBA on a daily basis. Whenever Bird decides to pull the trigger between now and the end of next year, I will hope people take the good from the bad and congratulate O’Brien on his strong efforts to give the state of Indiana a good basketball team.

Good job Jim O’Brien. Let’s hope your players will take the good things they learned from you and apply it in the future.

Please check the Pacers’ defensive statistics for the last three seasons and think of what could be a great team with the current Pacers’ players when a good defense is priority over a free-flow offense. Brace yourself!

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Coach Jim O'Brien: the Bad Outweighs the Good

I like Mike Brown. He runs a balanced system.

Plus Dan Burke is pretty balanced, but leans more towards defense. So he'd make a good interim if JOB can't make it through the whole season.

Either way, I want us to have a good year.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Trophy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

Plus Dan Burke is pretty balanced, but leans more towards defense. So he'd make a good interim if JOB can't make it through the whole season.

i wanted mike brown too

Quote Originally Posted by Trophy View Post

Yes, a tremendous balance between great defense and "give LeBron the ball" offense.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by rexnom View Post
    Yes, a tremendous balance between great defense and "give LeBron the ball" offense.
    isnt that wat u would do with that team.

Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post
    isnt that wat u would do with that team.
    No. Mike Brown is awful. We woulda average 80 points a game with him as he coach. How can you have Lebron and run a half court offense? Mike Brown is brain dead

Yeah, I'm a Pacers fan. MyFavMartin's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Didn't JOB lead NBA teams to the playoffs before his stint with the Pacers?

Also, Phoenix has been in the playoffs and isn't exactly a defensive juggernaut.

I don't think it's profound that defense helps to win and helps a team to get to the playoffs and through them.

As for Carlisle, that whole brawl thing and the resulting Artest trade request fiasco/music recording career-thing, got in the way more than his system flexibility...
    Otherwise, I would agree that the Pacers were looking very good in the 04'-05' season.

Droppin' knowledge, yo. Mackey_Rose's Avatar

Regarding the thread title, in other news the sky is blue and the sun rose in the East this morning.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by IUfan4life View Post
    No. Mike Brown is awful. We woulda average 80 points a game with him as he coach. How can you have Lebron and run a half court offense? Mike Brown is brain dead
    who was gonna run with him lol moe williams but who eles they didnt have the personal to be a runnimg team

i hate job, i really do. but if we are gonna hire mike brown, just let him stay. mike brown is awful.

The Doctor's In The House TheDon's Avatar

As far as coaches go I really wanted us to get Byron Scott. I am really interested to see how well obie performs knowing his contract and bird's are up at the end of the year. There is no hotter seat in the NBA than JOB and bird's to produce this year. The only thing that bothers me is granger has already lost one (maybe 2? Coaches can't remember if he was here when we had zeke as a coach) and losing another to someone who would want to undoubtedly change the system again would get frustrating I would think and potentially set us back another year to get comfortable with the new system. I don't agree with Obie that often but ultimately I want what's best for the team, and I don't know what better coach we could attract to come coach our team to a better overall record. I don't know what "better coach" that is chomping at the bit to coach here.
    Last edited by TheDon; 10-16-2010 at 05:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MyFavMartin View Post
    Didn't JOB lead NBA teams to the playoffs before his stint with the Pacers?

Also, Phoenix has been in the playoffs and isn't exactly a defensive juggernaut.

I don't think it's profound that defense helps to win and helps a team to get to the playoffs and through them.

As for Carlisle, that whole brawl thing and the resulting Artest trade request fiasco/music recording career-thing, got in the way more than his system flexibility...
    Otherwise, I would agree that the Pacers were looking very good in the 04'-05' season.

With Paul Pierce and Walker entering their prime. AT that time the Eastern confrence was MUCH MUCH weaker. The western confrence finals was more interesting than anything the east could match in the finals.