Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 26 to 42 of 42

Thread: What is dunleavy worth.

  1. #26
    Stay focused SMosley21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Going the distance
    Age
    31
    Posts
    2,534

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: What is dunleavy worth.

    Quote Originally Posted by BringJackBack View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    To get a 6th man/starter and Larry Sanders or 1st round pick.

    And I'm not saying they're stuck with them. But they have those two guys at the same position and they are going to find out its going to be a problem when they are essentially have the same talent level.

    Here, you guys aren't really understanding what I mostly want: Larry Sanders and/or a pick.

    They aren't going to give us those straight up for Mike because 1. salaries don't match, and 2. it doesn't make sense.

    If we take one of those salaries off of their hands, we are suddenly able to pick up Larry or a 1st round pick. That is called a consolation prize.

    That is what I want if all else fails and we can't get Kevin Martin, Iggy, etc. (Which we won't) I don't just want it to expire because we all know that we will just end up overpaying for a decent PF like our fellow Bucks just did with Drew Gooden.
    So you would be fine with taking on Corey Maggette's contract for 3 years just so we could get Larry Sanders or a 1st round pick (which would most definitely be lottery protected)?

    I'm glad you aren't working in the front office for the Pacers, because it looks like you're trying to put us right back in salary cap hell.
    Grown Man Ball

  2. #27
    crazy shinaniganz BringJackBack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    7,351

    Default Re: What is dunleavy worth.

    Quote Originally Posted by SMosley21 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    So you would be fine with taking on Corey Maggette's contract for 3 years just so we could get Larry Sanders or a 1st round pick (which would most definitely be lottery protected)?

    I'm glad you aren't working in the front office for the Pacers, because it looks like you're trying to put us right back in salary cap hell.
    Lol, what the hell are you talking about.

    1. All I said was I bet we could pull that trade off
    2. I've never filled out an application to the GM job
    3. I never said I was fine with getting Corey Maggette.
    4. Why are you acting offended?
    5. Why are you trying to make me mad?

    PS. Who would you rather have: Drew Gooden or Larry Sanders and Corey Maggette or John Salmons?

    Anyway, I'm done arguing because I just threw something out there off the top of my head, and you flipped out.
    Last edited by BringJackBack; 10-16-2010 at 07:04 PM.

  3. #28
    White and Nerdy Anthem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    23,748

    Default Re: What is dunleavy worth.

    Quote Originally Posted by Gamble1 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't know why I thought of Brent Barry
    It's a melanin thing. Their games aren't very similar.

    Back on topic: I like Dunleavy a lot and I'm glad he's feeling and playing better. But I just don't see him having a future on this team. I don't like him at the 2, and never have. Long term on this team, his best role is Danny's backup. But he's not going to want that role.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

    • Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

    Enjoy your time at PD!

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to Anthem For This Useful Post:


  5. #29
    bleed Blue & Gold PacersPride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    3,245

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: What is dunleavy worth.

    Quote Originally Posted by dohman View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    As we all know Mikes huge contract is over after this season and I think we all know he is going to be a free agent taking a HUGE pay cut.

    Over the preseason he has shown his shooting touch and the reason we like him on the court with his high iq. He has also been pretty decent on the other end taking charges and getting scrapy.

    I have always been a dun fan since he got here just because I like players who can do their thing without the athletic ability. But what do we think he is realisticy worth? He seems to really like it here and I hope he stays.

    Is he honestly worth more than D.Jones? Do we give him that same type of contract or do we let him walk?
    i like Dun, but not at SG. he is a SF, and with that said should be backing up Granger. Dun is an ideal 6th man. contract wise, no more than 5 mill max @ 3 years.

    * glad someone else mentioned the fact Dun is a SF directly below. posey im hoping is dealt this season to a contender, tho not likely so a buyout will be the best outcome next offseason. if George truly is going to overtake the SG role which im confident he can having watched how athletic he is, then Dun has value as a backup SF next season. of course, he only is offerred a contract if he can stay healthy this offseason. the question i see is will Dun be willing to accept a backup role getting only 15 minutes a game or so. Dun could be very valuable in the second unit. his defensive liabilities will be less obvious gaurding players at his natural position of SF. 3 yrs 4 mill i would be cool with.
    Last edited by PacersPride; 10-16-2010 at 08:33 PM.

  6. #30
    bleed Blue & Gold PacersPride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    3,245

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: What is dunleavy worth.

    Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's a melanin thing. Their games aren't very similar.

    Back on topic: I like Dunleavy a lot and I'm glad he's feeling and playing better. But I just don't see him having a future on this team. I don't like him at the 2, and never have. Long term on this team, his best role is Danny's backup. But he's not going to want that role.
    Agree with much of this. i hope we can resign him as a primary backup, but doubt he wants that role. Dun is a starting quality sf.

    he is probably looking for around 6.5 mill contract and starter minutes. if a team is willing to pay him that than im sure they might consider trading for him as well.

  7. #31
    crazy shinaniganz BringJackBack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    7,351

    Default Re: What is dunleavy worth.

    Or we could just draft a backup SF in the 2nd round this offseason instead of wasting guarunteed money on someone who will be 33 or 34 after a three year contract.

    Thats what New Orleans did with James Posey and they are paying for it now. They drafted Quincy Pondexter and had it not been for us, he wouldn't play much this season. They also had to give up DC to get rid of Posey.

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to BringJackBack For This Useful Post:


  9. #32
    Member spazzxb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    fort wayne In
    Age
    35
    Posts
    2,828

    Default Re: What is dunleavy worth.

    Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He'd make a good backup on a good team. I would like to see him stay and play with the second unit.

    BTW, he was playing line an all-star just 2.5 years ago. It would be a shame to not benefit from any resurgence.
    Murphy is gone and Haters need someone to hate. Don't try intelligent logical points they don't care.

  10. #33
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    In a Gym
    Age
    22
    Posts
    16,880
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: What is dunleavy worth.

    Quote Originally Posted by BringJackBack View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Or we could just draft a backup SF in the 2nd round this offseason instead of wasting guarunteed money on someone who will be 33 or 34 after a three year contract.

    Thats what New Orleans did with James Posey and they are paying for it now. They drafted Quincy Pondexter and had it not been for us, he wouldn't play much this season. They also had to give up DC to get rid of Posey.
    couldve been Marcus Thorton

  11. #34
    bleed Blue & Gold PacersPride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    3,245

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: What is dunleavy worth.

    Quote Originally Posted by BringJackBack View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Or we could just draft a backup SF in the 2nd round this offseason instead of wasting guarunteed money on someone who will be 33 or 34 after a three year contract.

    Thats what New Orleans did with James Posey and they are paying for it now. They drafted Quincy Pondexter and had it not been for us, he wouldn't play much this season. They also had to give up DC to get rid of Posey.
    despite Birds recent success, finding talent in the second round is very rare. again, as stated in my post, if Dun stays healthy he is worth 3 yrs at 4 mill.. 5 max. that is my response to the OP (what is Dun worth). eventually having a team full of 1st and 2nd year players isnt going to do us much good. Dunleavy is a solid pro and worth that type of contract if healthy. the exception would be if the pacers sign a big FA, but i doubt that happens so cap room should not be an issue and at that price tag Dun would be easy to move. remember, he played at an all-star level 2 seasons ago, doubt we will easily find that kind of production in the 2nd round next year, and your likely going to pay that player a mill or so anyways.. so for 3 more mill i dont see any reason not to sign Dun.

  12. #35
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    33
    Posts
    28,142

    Default Re: What is dunleavy worth.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mackey_Rose View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This thought really makes me cringe.
    Giving him an extention makes me cringe too

  13. #36
    crazy shinaniganz BringJackBack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    7,351

    Default Re: What is dunleavy worth.

    Quote Originally Posted by PacersPride View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    despite Birds recent success, finding talent in the second round is very rare. again, as stated in my post, if Dun stays healthy he is worth 3 yrs at 4 mill.. 5 max. that is my response to the OP (what is Dun worth). eventually having a team full of 1st and 2nd year players isnt going to do us much good. Dunleavy is a solid pro and worth that type of contract if healthy. the exception would be if the pacers sign a big FA, but i doubt that happens so cap room should not be an issue and at that price tag Dun would be easy to move. remember, he played at an all-star level 2 seasons ago, doubt we will easily find that kind of production in the 2nd round next year, and your likely going to pay that player a mill or so anyways.. so for 3 more mill i dont see any reason not to sign Dun.
    That makes sense and it seems nice but I just don't know.

    I would like my backup small forward to be an athletic defender who will score without anything being run for him. My ideal backup small forward actually cherry picks after a defensive rebound like both Paul George and Darren Collison do on occasion to get free dunks. The downside is that this SF doesn't really rebound the ball because he's off to the races, so to speak, when there is a defensive rebound.

    This guy also doesn't milk shot clock seconds, and get the ball into the post. If Brandon Rush would run the floor instead of camping at the three on a fast break he would work out. However, Brandon Rush is more of a Mikael (sp?) Pietrus rather than the Jonas Jerebko, Tony Allen, or AK47 guy I'm talking about.

    The only guys in the 2nd round that I could see being that person is Elias Harris and Kenneth Faried. They both have that game and intensity. The question for Elias is whether he'd accept being an off-the-ball role player type game. He may be the next Dahntay Jones (a good on ball defender, but NOT relatively close to a glue guy on offense), or he could be someone similar to a poor mans Grant Hill at his age right now. I am almost positive, however, he's just another Damare Carroll. Of course he's was a freshman last year so whatever.

    Kenneth is probably not quick enough to guard 3's and he's a big boy so I don't know how playing the 3 would work for him. He plays with a lot of intensity and he's got some decent hops. I didn't pay close enough attention to him to see whether his big body is hurting his quickness or not; I should also see whether or not he has that "mean streak" that everyone likes.

    I also intitially thought about Lacedarius Dunn, but apparently he's not that highly thought of according to DraftExpress when I went to go check his high school.. He also looks quite a bit taller than 6ft 4. He's pretty long for 6'4". He's older but he can score. He has a nice jumper but he drives alot. He doesn't really have many hops but he gets out and does his thing.

    This year I thought of Quincy Pondexter but he doesn't really play with that much energy and he doesn't move off the ball. To be frank, I'd also say he's kind of robotic with his two handed jumper, and awkward moves to the basket. Kind of weird. I also obviously thought about Devin Ebanks in the second round.

  14. #37
    bleed Blue & Gold PacersPride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    3,245

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: What is dunleavy worth.

    Quote Originally Posted by BringJackBack View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That makes sense and it seems nice but I just don't know.

    I would like my backup small forward to be an athletic defender who will score without anything being run for him. My ideal backup small forward actually cherry picks after a defensive rebound like both Paul George and Darren Collison do on occasion to get free dunks. The downside is that this SF doesn't really rebound the ball because he's off to the races, so to speak, when there is a defensive rebound.

    This guy also doesn't milk shot clock seconds, and get the ball into the post. If Brandon Rush would run the floor instead of camping at the three on a fast break he would work out. However, Brandon Rush is more of a Mikael (sp?) Pietrus rather than the Jonas Jerebko, Tony Allen, or AK47 guy I'm talking about.

    The only guys in the 2nd round that I could see being that person is Elias Harris and Kenneth Faried. They both have that game and intensity. The question for Elias is whether he'd accept being an off-the-ball role player type game. He may be the next Dahntay Jones (a good on ball defender, but NOT relatively close to a glue guy on offense), or he could be someone similar to a poor mans Grant Hill at his age right now. I am almost positive, however, he's just another Damare Carroll. Of course he's was a freshman last year so whatever.

    Kenneth is probably not quick enough to guard 3's and he's a big boy so I don't know how playing the 3 would work for him. He plays with a lot of intensity and he's got some decent hops. I didn't pay close enough attention to him to see whether his big body is hurting his quickness or not; I should also see whether or not he has that "mean streak" that everyone likes.

    I also intitially thought about Lacedarius Dunn, but apparently he's not that highly thought of according to DraftExpress when I went to go check his high school.. He also looks quite a bit taller than 6ft 4. He's pretty long for 6'4". He's older but he can score. He has a nice jumper but he drives alot. He doesn't really have many hops but he gets out and does his thing.

    This year I thought of Quincy Pondexter but he doesn't really play with that much energy and he doesn't move off the ball. To be frank, I'd also say he's kind of robotic with his two handed jumper, and awkward moves to the basket. Kind of weird. I also obviously thought about Devin Ebanks in the second round.
    excellent analysis BJB. honestly, im more a pro guy than college, but i do follow college esp IU & Purdue, but IU mainly. i see your point clearly, and this team is in a youth movement.

    my perspective is this. first Dun is a SF. he has played out of position while with the pacers b/c Granger is the SF, and lack of options at SG. ideally Rush, and George are the SG's going forward unless rush is dealt but for now we will hypothetically say its rush and george. posey is not the long term answer and will be gone once his contract is up.

    i doubt Dun will accept a backup role on this team but if he were willing to sign for 4-5 mill at 3 years (if healthy this year) i dont see how we dont extend his contract. his basketball IQ is off the charts. his D is exploited as a SG, but as a SF he would likely be very good, not individually but team wise. if this team did not have Granger i would be content with Dun as the teams starting SF. i think he would be almost a triple double type player but not quite. maybe like 12 pts, 6 assists, 6 rebounds a game and solid not spectacular D.

    on this team he would be an ideal 6th man off the bench. at 4-5 mill for 3 years would be good value. my guess is Dun will not accept that role and will want to start and get paid around 7 mill. so we will likely have to go the route you suggested and with posey around for one more season im okay with it cause posey can excel in spot minutes at the sf position backing up granger.

  15. #38
    A Magical Place Hoop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Greenwood
    Posts
    4,602
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: What is dunleavy worth.

    What is Dunleavy worth?

    A 3rd round pick and a player to be named later.
    "Just look at the flowers ........ BANG"

  16. #39
    Custom User Titleist
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Pacer Purgatory Praying for Paul
    Posts
    3,584
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: What is dunleavy worth.

    He is worth more as a contributing member of the Pacers who has an expiring contract than he is generally given credit for, and likely more than the Pacers would receive if they were to trade him before his contract expires, unless it is as a sign and trade after the CBA situation gets settled.

  17. #40
    crazy shinaniganz BringJackBack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    7,351

    Default Re: What is dunleavy worth.

    Quote Originally Posted by PacersPride View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    excellent analysis BJB. honestly, im more a pro guy than college, but i do follow college esp IU & Purdue, but IU mainly. i see your point clearly, and this team is in a youth movement.

    my perspective is this. first Dun is a SF. he has played out of position while with the pacers b/c Granger is the SF, and lack of options at SG. ideally Rush, and George are the SG's going forward unless rush is dealt but for now we will hypothetically say its rush and george. posey is not the long term answer and will be gone once his contract is up.

    i doubt Dun will accept a backup role on this team but if he were willing to sign for 4-5 mill at 3 years (if healthy this year) i dont see how we dont extend his contract. his basketball IQ is off the charts. his D is exploited as a SG, but as a SF he would likely be very good, not individually but team wise. if this team did not have Granger i would be content with Dun as the teams starting SF. i think he would be almost a triple double type player but not quite. maybe like 12 pts, 6 assists, 6 rebounds a game and solid not spectacular D.

    on this team he would be an ideal 6th man off the bench. at 4-5 mill for 3 years would be good value. my guess is Dun will not accept that role and will want to start and get paid around 7 mill. so we will likely have to go the route you suggested and with posey around for one more season im okay with it cause posey can excel in spot minutes at the sf position backing up granger.
    Alot like you I enjoy having Mike here as long as healthy and he's probably going to be better backing up than any of the guys I just mentioned but it's all about bang for the buck and generally I'm not a big fan of long contracts for even sixth men.

    I'm not sure about the rebounds but even 8/3/3 would be good off the bench for the next three years. I do think that we could offer him less than a three year contract all things considered. It was just about 8 months ago that he recovered from a terrible injury and we just need to be careful to not get stuck into something.

    I love Mikes game but three years is a long time for a 30 year old guy. I'd do two years with a team option though at 12 mil. 3 yrs/12 mill team option no higher.

    It just feels good to have flexibility and money to worry about how to spend it as opposed to how to get it.

  18. #41

    Default Re: What is dunleavy worth.

    He's worth the going rate for salary relief....I like Dunleavy a little bit, but i can't see him as the missing piece of the puzzle for any team. It's not like we're going to get an all star or a young budding player for him.

    Given Indy's chance of landing a solid free agent, I say we let him play before the break, hope for the best, and then make the most reasonable trade we can.

  19. #42
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    In a Gym
    Age
    22
    Posts
    16,880
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: What is dunleavy worth.

    Quote Originally Posted by thefeistyone View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He's worth the going rate for salary relief....I like Dunleavy a little bit, but i can't see him as the missing piece of the puzzle for any team. It's not like we're going to get an all star or a young budding player for him.

    Given Indy's chance of landing a solid free agent, I say we let him play before the break, hope for the best, and then make the most reasonable trade we can.
    or buy him out and let him go play for a contender.

Similar Threads

  1. Dunleavy found out he was booted as GM from the internet
    By Basketball Fan in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 03-13-2010, 05:46 PM
  2. Dunleavy feels out of sorts on the court
    By pwee31 in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: 03-03-2010, 05:20 PM
  3. STAR:Uncertain, uneasy road ahead for Dunleavy
    By Bball in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-03-2009, 10:37 PM
  4. Dunleavy Out Indefinitely
    By 2minutes twowa in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: 02-21-2009, 09:27 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •